Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Realistically, what can we expect for the Redskins in RiverRon's 1st year?

88Comrade2000

A front office and coaching staff with a shared vision and long term plan for how to develop the roster.

A defense that has a scheme that fits the talent rather than fitting talent into a scheme

Everyone on defense knowing their role and playing the same damn coverage.

A focus on developing our young QB rather than him being an afterthought.

A step forward from all the young players who got extensive playing time last year giving us a good young core group.

Now what that all equals in terms of wins and losses I don't know - but more than 3 is a low bar.

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I am waiting to see if we can free up more cap space to sign some veterans from other teams.  Wondering if more of our veterans will be let go.

Eagles have receiver problems but right now they remain solid.  Cowboys with a new head coach could get better or could get worse and most likely

not anything in the middle like an 8-8 record.   Giants will be lucky to go .500.  We need a decent tight end.  Not surprised Olsen signed with Seahawks

to play with Russell Wilson.  Also the old adage about "money talks and ___  walks." will apply when we talk to free agents.  Alex Smith contract stifles

our overall team improvement again this year.

Overthecap.com shows us with almost $53M in CAP space with more moves that can be made that easily get the team to $70M. How many high priced FAs do you want? Alex contract is unfortunate but it is not "stifling" anything. Team has more than enough to make the proper FA moves unless they go on some ridiculous spending spree.  I would be very disappointed if they do that. 

Getting a bunch of FAs is wrong way to build a team. Maybe one or two very targeted FAs but use the rest to pay guys you have that deserve it, like Brandon Scherff. We want a younger team not a bunch of old guys.

I think we'll be competitive. Going from Manusky to JDR alone should be a big step up for the unit. If we end up drafting Young, and with a plethora of cap space, I'd expect the defense to be pretty damn good.

Conversely, the offense is still a work in progress. If we get Trent back, and Dwayne doesn't look putrid, I could see us winning 8-9 games. The division is pretty weak and in a state of flux, so keep that in mind.

We may not be paloff bound in year 1 of Riverboat, but we'll be competitive every game IMO.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Overthecap.com shows us with almost $53M in CAP space with more moves that can be made that easily get the team to $70M. How many high priced FAs do you want? Alex contract is unfortunate but it is not "stifling" anything. Team has more than enough to make the proper FA moves unless they go on some ridiculous spending spree.  I would be very disappointed if they do that. 

Getting a bunch of FAs is wrong way to build a team. Maybe one or two very targeted FAs but use the rest to pay guys you have that deserve it, like Brandon Scherff. We want a younger team not a bunch of old guys.

I know the team should be younger but a few targeted FA's who can step in and start as well as lead by example to help the younger players improve would be helpful.  I would like to keep Scherff.  I would not keep Williams.  I would draft a left tackle.  In the past we have overpaid for a few bad free agents each year for many years.  Spending the money has to be strategic and not as you say "ridiculous spending spree."

58 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I know the team should be younger but a few targeted FA's who can step in and start as well as lead by example to help the younger players improve would be helpful.  I would like to keep Scherff.  I would not keep Williams.  I would draft a left tackle.  In the past we have overpaid for a few bad free agents each year for many years.  Spending the money has to be strategic and not as you say "ridiculous spending spree."

This is more aligned with my thinking.  The first comment read differently. So thanks for the clarification.  

I would bring Trent back but only on his current contract and maybe a little more but fully guaranteed.  And I would still draft a LT.  Quality LT are very hard to find.  

I think playoffs are a reasonable expectation, especially in the NFC East. With a new head coach and several good young players, depending on how quickly JDR can bring the defense around we should contend in the division for the title. All we need is to seriously get the defense playing together and, if we sign the offensive line back, get the running game going like we can and playoffs are easily in reach. The last place schedule doesn't hurt either....

If the discipline improves and penalties decline the first season that is the first sign of good things to come.  A good new coach may not produce wins in the beginning but they reduce mistakes right out of the gate.  I don't know what we will get but a smarter, more disciplined team with fewer penalties is what I would like to see.

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Playoffs. The NFCE is a weak division and there is no reason that we can not improve enough to take it, or at least be very competitive within it.

We have horses on offense and if one of Guise or Love can be healthy

^ this

NFC East sucks balls.  Sweep one of the jag offs and go 4-2 in the division for starters. 

A RB not named AP needs to figure out how to stay healthy for the full season.

Cap room to make some moves.

Yeah, the expectation should be playoffs.  A step towards respectability via not being a clown show and halfway looking like a professional organization = acceptable

I'm not exactly sure how many wins we'll have, but I expect a pretty evident culture change. Toughness and professionalism will be the first major accomplishments of the new coaching staff, and from there we'll build.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:31 PM, hail2skins said:

We thought this when Shanny and Bruce came in and proceeded to win a whopping 11 games over the next two seasons.

That said, I was encouraged with the way the team played over the last 6 games and agree that we should be able to be respectable. Dont think 7-9 isnt unreasonable to predict, but that's probably going to be my default until the Skins actually do surprise us with a 10+ win season. I do wonder what Vegas is seeing to assess this team as having the longest odds to win the Super Bowl.

Looking at it skeptically - new offensive/defensive schemes, a very flawed back 7, only 2 viable olinemen*, 1 good weapon on offense, and a qb that mostly sucked.  

* seeing as how Trent didn’t play last year, no reason for Vegas to assume he would this year

Del Rio and a new defensive scheme (with Chase Young) is good for a minimum 3 more wins next year.  Year two improvements in DH and a better running game (TW starting at LT) is worth atleast two wins.  8-8 should be our expectations; a couple good breaks and we could squeak out a 2 more for a 10 win season.  We should be competitive in every game.

I really just want the Skins to stop being the laughing stock of the league.  I think Rivera brings a demand with him - that players are accountable.  That is really what has been lacking on this team for quite a few years.  Just an undisciplined train wreck of a team, with no accountability.   He is going expect the players to treat it like what it really is, a job.  You show up, you do your job and you do it to the best of your ability.  And man are you lucky to make millions playing a game you say you love for a living.  

If they are "in" every game because they are playing their asses off, well they will squeeze out a few extra wins IMO, so I can see us getting 8-9 wins next year, but even 10 is within the realm of possibility. 

I don’t know wins/losses, especially since the draft or FA hadn’t happened yet.

However I expect the defense to just be markedly better.  

I also expect the team to be better prepared. 

After we see the whole picture of the talent on the team, We can think about records. 

I’d be willing to bet of the 53 players who will be on the team, 20-ish are not even on the roster yet.

To many "ifs" to have any real expectations of much relating to record in my opinion BUT I do expect a better coached team especially on Defense.  Hopefully that translates into wins sooner than later.

By pre-season my normal fandom hype will kick in and Ill be expecting a 10 win season however.

The most important expectation the Redskins can hope for is an improved record against the teams within their own division, especially on the road, usually if a team finishes the season with a winning record against teams in the division, that leads to a successful season outcome 

Should shore up the secondary with Panthers. They'll be great on defense with Chase Young added to the mix. 

If Trent comes back, and one of the running backs stay healthy, they can control the clock and get wins. 

Unfortunately will come down to 2-3 key free agents, another great draft, and Trent returning. 

Be interesting to see how they approach free agency. 

As unpopular of an opinion as it may be, the Redskins should draft a QB or trade down to obtain more picks.  There are too many holes and you can't fill them all in FA.  That said, I think it's realistic to expect 6-7 wins and that also depends on the RB situation.  Peterson is old, and Guice cannot stay healthy so another draft need is now RB to go along with every other hole.  Maybe Love will be able to bounce back?  I say take Tua just in case Haskins turns out to be a bust and Alex Smith cannot play.

Archived