Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Realistically, what can we expect for the Redskins in RiverRon's 1st year?

88Comrade2000

A new league year is fast approaching.  3/18 is when free agency starts.   It's going to be an exciting offseason as we see who we sign in free agency and of course the draft.  We finally have competent people running the team. 

In this first year of Riverboat Ron, just what can we realistically expect from the Redskins?

My answer:   I am confident we will fill the holes we have on this team either thru free agency or in the draft.  We have quality coaches to coach them now. I think this year depends on what happens at QB.  If we go into the season with Dwayne as the starter; then we will have to go throw the growing pains of his first full season as a starter. So, 2020 will be more of transitional year.  I would expect anywhere from 6 to at best 8 wins.   If we go into the season with veteran as the starter, be that Alex Smith or someone else; I firmly believe we can compete for the division title.  The NFC East is in a state of transition.  While Philly has made the playoffs the past 2 years since winning the Superbowl in Feb. 2018, they just barely made it.  They need some retooling.  Dallas is probably the favorite to win the division in 2020, provided they get Dak signed.  If there's a holdout, that doesn't bode well for Mike Mccarthy's first year.  The Giants are  question mark.  How will Daniel Jones do in year 2 under first year coach Joe Judge?   I don't see why the Redskins under a veteran QB can't challenge for the division. I know Jack Del Rio will have our defense ready.  Under a veteran QB why can't win we 9 or 10 games? That should be enough to win the East.

Not being flippant, but, realistically all I can say is that they will be better because the Coaching (and GM) have gotten better.

There are holes in every group (except the kicking) and until we know what they look like, it's hard to make an assessment.

:229:The Rook

If we can have a productive free agency, resign/extend our own, draft similar to how we did last year and have an improved year from our QB; I can see us going 9 wins and potentially sneaking into the playoffs. I have an eerily good feeling about this year. I'm putting $100 on the 2020 Super Bowl, so call me crazy.

It just hit me recently that I can actually feel good rooting for this team again. Amazing that the bar is set that low, but my disgust for Bruce Allen and the way he did business was just so off the charts. The fact that I never have to see his face again; listen to his droning, monotonous voice; or kill anymore goats within a pentagram in what seemed until recently to be a vain attempt to sway Satan is just such a blessing. 

That said, yes, his goon-like ex-boss is still and most likely always will be an issue, but ... for now, I can hopefully put that toadstool out of my mind and concentrate on Ron Burgundy. 

Seriously, just feeling like I can cheer for this team again in good conscience is huge. Realistically, I have my doubts about Ron being anything better than above average. Although I'm impressed with many of his personal qualities and some of his career accomplishments, I'm not that impressed with his overall record. From the periphery, I've never considered him a trendsetter or someone who's on the "cutting edge" as a coach. 

I definitely expect a far more disciplined and committed team next season, a more old-school approach, a better overall team atmosphere ... what I truly want as a first step, though, is, at the very LEAST, an even record against divisional opponents. 

Anyway, I feel like a starving man who's currently more than happy to get a helping of dog food. Once I get my strength back, though, I'm going to be wanting more. We'll see. 

6 wins and an aura of respectability is the reasonable bar for success in my mind.  If we can get through the year without any embarrassing scandals. without defensive backs looking around in confusion with their hands up pre-snap and post-touchdown, and most importantly without roster moves not endorsed by Ron Rivera, then I think we set ourselves up for the possibility of actual success in 2021 and beyond.

Seriously? I'm not going to judge this season on the W/L record, I think we top out @.500 best case scenario, there is just too much work to do.

Less bull****, more professionalism, some grudging respect in the media by Halloween for the new regime, a better record vs the division, a team that shows up and plays all 60 minutes, no embarrassing media sniping and leaks.......................

That's kinda my baseline at this point.

54 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Not being flippant, but, realistically all I can say is that they will be better because the Coaching (and GM) have gotten better.

We thought this when Shanny and Bruce came in and proceeded to win a whopping 11 games over the next two seasons.

That said, I was encouraged with the way the team played over the last 6 games and agree that we should be able to be respectable. Dont think 7-9 isnt unreasonable to predict, but that's probably going to be my default until the Skins actually do surprise us with a 10+ win season. I do wonder what Vegas is seeing to assess this team as having the longest odds to win the Super Bowl.

23 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

A new league year is fast approaching.  3/18 is when free agency starts.   It's going to be an exciting offseason as we see who we sign in free agency and of course the draft.  We finally have competent people running the team. 

In this first year of Riverboat Ron, just what can we realistically expect from the Redskins?

My answer:   I am confident we will fill the holes we have on this team either thru free agency or in the draft.  We have quality coaches to coach them now. I think this year depends on what happens at QB.  If we go into the season with Dwayne as the starter; then we will have to go throw the growing pains of his first full season as a starter. So, 2020 will be more of transitional year.  I would expect anywhere from 6 to at best 8 wins.   If we go into the season with veteran as the starter, be that Alex Smith or someone else; I firmly believe we can compete for the division title.  The NFC East is in a state of transition.  While Philly has made the playoffs the past 2 years since winning the Superbowl in Feb. 2018, they just barely made it.  They need some retooling.  Dallas is probably the favorite to win the division in 2020, provided they get Dak signed.  If there's a holdout, that doesn't bode well for Mike Mccarthy's first year.  The Giants are  question mark.  How will Daniel Jones do in year 2 under first year coach Joe Judge?   I don't see why the Redskins under a veteran QB can't challenge for the division. I know Jack Del Rio will have our defense ready.  Under a veteran QB why can't win we 9 or 10 games? That should be enough to win the East.

If Alex Smith isn't ready, we best not bring in another QB and waste even more $$$ on the position.  I'd be fine with letting Haskins start from the get go and sign a cheap back-up QB.  I don't want Cam, unless he is cut and signed on a team friendly deal, even then I'm not very confident, absolutely do not trade for him.

I do not want to draft Tua either as some of the rumor mills suggest.  Here's a list of FA QBs for 2020:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

I dunno.  Pick one for me to back-up Haskins or compete in camp/pre-season for the starting job.  

As far as our record goes, I think the defense will be much improved (obviously) and will do a lot better in a base 4-3.  I know Del Rio is in charge (per Ron) but I'd image we are going to run cover 2 or 3 zone a lot.  Jack has said in interviews that they aren't going to let people run the ball on us. 

I'd say based on getting key free agents on defense along with drafting Chase Young (assuming we draft him) along with a defensive minded head coach and stud D-Coordinator in Del Rio, we are probably looking at an 7 or 8 win team, regardless of who the starting QB is.  That is basing it on the defense keeping us in games, making critical stops when needed, getting off the field early in drives, etc.

Honestly, there are too many unknowns right now on the offensive side of the ball.  Does Trent stay?  Do we snag any OL in FA or draft that can be a legit starter come week 1?  What happens with the TE spot (do we sign one of the studs, bring in a vet like Olsen, both?)? 

Is Alex Smith healthy and ready to play come training camp/pre-season?  If yes, is he rusty, but not too rusty that we have a QB decision to make?  If no, when he is healthy, if he looks better in practice and Haskins has struggled or been inconsistent, do we put in Alex in hopes of making a push for a potential wild card spot (assuming our record was good enough to keep us in the hunt) or do we leave the youngster in and ride it out the season?

Depending on how the off-season, draft, etc. plays out, I see our floor as a 7 win team with the ceiling possibly as high as 9-10 wins.  Being perfectly honest, this isn't a one year rebuild process, so if things go our way, I'd be fine to see us win 7 games this year, while continuing to improve the team and winning 10 or 11 games in 2022, then 11-12+ games in 2023 while winning some playoff games in the process.  

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If Alex Smith isn't ready, we best not bring in another QB and waste even more $$$ on the position.  I'd be fine with letting Haskins start from the get go and sign a cheap back-up QB.  I don't want Cam, unless he is cut and signed on a team friendly deal, even then I'm not very confident, absolutely do not trade for him.

Going back to the OP, I think a decent question is whether youd prefer a 6-8 win season with Dwayne at the helmet or a 9-10 win season with Alex. I'd prefer the former, TBH. I know Smith was fairly solid in 2018 before his gruesome injury, but we drafted Haskins fairly high and he looked decent toward the end. Time to be future-looking.....anything else to me is pointless.

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Going back to the OP, I think a decent question is whether youd prefer a 6-8 win season with Dwayne at the helmet or a 9-10 win season with Alex. I'd prefer the former, TBH. I know Smith was fairly solid in 2018 before his gruesome injury, but we drafted Haskins fairly high and he looked decent toward the end. Time to be future-looking.....anything else to me is pointless.

Like I said, if everything works out on defense and keeps moving along, with the regime change, I think the defense will be good enough to keep us in games and get us 7 wins regardless who the starting QB is or becomes as the season moves on.  Too many "what ifs" on the offensive side of the ball right now to even speculate total # of wins.  

I'd prefer to put Haskins in as starter week 1 and see what happens the entire season.  Regardless of what happens with Alex.  I read there was interest in a trade for Smith when/if healthy, but I take all those rumors with a grain of salt.  Bottom line, we are stuck with him and that cap hit unless we can find a trade.  

I seriously doubt Alex will be able to play.  I'm sure he will try but realistically he won't be able to. 

Alex's salary's restricts us but I still think the Skins are going to sign a veteran QB who will compete with Dwayne for the starting job.  It maybe just a one year rental with a contract with incentives.  

I think it will hinge on two things yet to be seen.

1. Will Trent be back. 

2. Will the training staff/culture overhaul make any difference this year in keeping half our roster off IR by week 10. 

If those two things come to pass, I could see a playoff push this year. If not, back to 5-6 wins still a couple years away. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

I think people are being a little too quick to just pigeon hole a season with Haskins to some growing pains season. He already had what 7 games. Now he will get full time reps. 

I am not saying it will be better for sure but I like his chances- especially if they put a few pieces together fro him like getting Trent back and a TE or 2. In fact our success could hinge much more on other positions. 

I hope they let him start all season and see where it goes. Let him sink or swim. We may very well be pleasantly surprised. 

Many of the variables are obviously going to change between now and the start of the season, but right now we're a 3-13 team.  If RR and Co. can get us to improve by four or five wins then I think that it could be called a successful first year.  The really difficult part is to improve in year two by a further two or three wins.  That would be amazing.

As alluded to in the OP, the key to any success is weighted towards the QB. If Haskins (or whoever) plays well and Del Rio can get the most out of the defense, then why not.  I think that 7-9 or 8-8 this year, and 9-7 or 10-6 next year is more than possible.

Maybe, just maybe, we can even get to the dizzy heights of 11-5.

(I can't believe that I just typed that last sentence, I think I need to lie down in a quiet room for a while).

I actually expect us to be a defense-driven team where I don't expect our success to be contingent upon DH thriving. I fully expect us to be a run heavy team similar to how the Steelers were their first couple of years with Ben. Now it'd be foolish to expect us to go 15-1 and then Super Bowl winners in 2021 but I do expect a significant turnaround regardless of whether or not Haskins explodes.

Playoffs. The NFCE is a weak division and there is no reason that we can not improve enough to take it, or at least be very competitive within it.

We have horses on offense and if one of Guise or Love can be healthy, look out. I expect us to grab one of the better TEs and I like our WR group. Turner has a fairly QB friendly offense, so no reason Haskins doesn't excel.

The defense has a ton of talent on it. The line, especially if we land Young, should be dominant at least. JDRs safeties usually excel and Collins has that skill level. Need to fill a couple holes, but shouldn't be an issue.

I think we'll be build hard and tough and won't be getting punked anymore, while having the ability to really explode offensively.

I am waiting to see if we can free up more cap space to sign some veterans from other teams.  Wondering if more of our veterans will be let go.

Eagles have receiver problems but right now they remain solid.  Cowboys with a new head coach could get better or could get worse and most likely

not anything in the middle like an 8-8 record.   Giants will be lucky to go .500.  We need a decent tight end.  Not surprised Olsen signed with Seahawks

to play with Russell Wilson.  Also the old adage about "money talks and ___  walks." will apply when we talk to free agents.  Alex Smith contract stifles

our overall team improvement again this year.

Archived