Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

It's all a frame-up! Every single arrest. Goes all the way to the Supreme Court! We only have proof that this guy is a sensational athlete!

Okay, I'll stop. I just can't believe what Danny has done to this franchise since he bought it. At least I have the Rams to cheer on here in crazy LaLa land, but try as I might, it's just not the same as rooting for the team you grew up with. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

106.7 who broke the story --from the get go and it was Russell and Paulsen working the story together who said that Scot did plenty to warrant the firing.  You are thinking of purely the WP.  But 106.7 broke it first from what I recall.    Maybe some fans condemned Bruce right away.  But I defended him pretty early in that process because of the 106.7 story.  Russell was hinting at it for weeks on his shows before the story broke out in full. 

To me this case is apples to oranges to that.  It's the Redskins decision to inherit this potential problem to me that is the story and what message this sends or not as opposed to whether he's innocent or guilty.  How the heck would the Redskins know if he was guilty or innocent?  The question to me isn't that. 

It's taking this player on 3 days after the incident WITHOUT knowing what happened and what message does that send or not send? 

we havent "Taken" anything. We have reserved the right to "Take" him if and when things pan out.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

we havent "Taken" anything. We have reserved the right to "Take" him if and when things pan out.

Thanks but we all here get the semantics of holding his rights.   If I were in court, I'd worry about every word languaged just right.  But for purposes of debate, just expressing thoughts.  

12 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The same guys that have spent the entire season, and past several seasons, absolutely trashing the team and front office at every opportunity are now deeply concerned about the PR effect of this roster move.

Savor the irony.

I don’t see the irony. The front office was a **** show. But they were our **** show. This is not my front office. This ain’t my **** show. This is worse than incompetence. This is willful desperation, I hope bruce burns for this. Only reason to be glad he signed ruben because this will likely blow up in his face and he’ll burn for it. 

That he is on the "exemptions list" provides us cover, for now. But if / when he comes off, that's when the front office will be forced to show its cards. If he's found guilty but only suspended for a couple games, what then? Will they really release him? 

For now, I'm buying the party line: "claimed pending investigation".

5 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

Gruden's quotes on this are berserk. 

This is two minutes after saying he doesn't really know much about the situation and that he may never play a down. What in the name of god was the point of this exercise?

He's saying "we", but translated to me, he really means "Bruce". Especially since it was a defensive player.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the false accusation by his ex-girlfriend last year was the second time she had done that. She falsely accused another one of her boyfriends of DV back in 2011. Of course if he is found guilty this time, he's out. Right now he's on paid leave until Goodell puts him on unpaid. IMO, if he is found not guilty and the charges dropped, I still feel that Goodell will give him 4-6 weeks unpaid next year for the fact that he brought the girlfriend with a checkered past with him to TB before a game.

I'm gonna say something very unpopular here.

Sean Taylor, a man everyone here is paying tribute to recently, pulled a gun on three people over ATVs, he plead no contest and had a plea bargain in place. So mit's not like the Skins have only picked up saints in the past or it's unreasonable for players to get second chances and be forgiven

The Redskins have had less scumbags over the past generation than most NFL squads. I'm certainly not condoning or diluting domestic violence but football players are modern day gladiators. Those guys were psycho too, hard-wired and conditioned for violence. Many are just "off" and each individual case should be respected as such, with due process. Adding in the dynamic of women with sinister intentions/motives I'm not condemning the guy just yet. I'm not really liking the smell of this move, our front office is as amoral as ever it seems.

Football wise, he was on his way or reaching the best at the position. I wanted him bad in the first round of that draft. It may turn out to be a smart, patient move or it could come out that this guy is the next Greg Hardy. None of us are privy to everything in this case.

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the false accusation by his ex-girlfriend last year was the second time she had done that. She falsely accused another one of her boyfriends of DV back in 2011. Of course if he is found guilty this time, he's out. Right now he's on paid leave until Goodell puts him on unpaid. IMO, if he is found not guilty and the charges dropped, I still feel that Goodell will give him 4-6 weeks unpaid next year for the fact that he brought the girlfriend with a checkered past with him to TB before a game.

She has serious credibility issues.  The flip side of this is that when she went to police to recant her first accusation against Foster, she told a different story about how she "really" sustained the injuries than she told when she testified in court.  Even when she said he didn't cause the injuries that she had, she was inconsistent in her alternative explanation of her injuries.  The prosecutors didn't believe her recantation of the initial allegation against Foster.

You know you have credibility problems when people don't believe you when you tell them you were lying.

18 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understand your position here, but this is not an isolated incident, Foster has had a whole lot of other issues on top of this and that's the reason for the push back. If it was one accusation then sure, but 3 arrests in a year don't just happen for no reason.  The initial charge was recanted by the accuser, then they got back together. If he was falsely accused then why would he get back with her? I think it's much more likely that she recanted because she wanted to get back with an NFL player. 

I'm like another poster, kind of numb to the whole Redskins train wreck,  But this is a pretty desperate move for a team that deserves the PR hit.  It's like when Scott M preached only high character guys, then signs Junior Galette.  

Not that this is the authority, but I only see two arrest for Reuben. And lets not forget that the women he is stupidly dealing with has falsely accused him and another ex-boyfriend in the past. Further I'm not condoning the gun charge, but I understand where he comes from. I mean the kid was shot by his father at 18 freakin' months. To me, this deal with his ex-girlfriend goes away if he leaves her the **** alone. If anything, he needs to let go of his ego that says somehow he's going to make things right with her. Again, 7 million ****ing people in the world and Reuben can't let go of one of 'em.

Personally, I don't care what a guys does off the field. I turn the TV on to watch football. If anyone is looking for choir boys (who btw are just as ****ed up as any of us...they just do it in secret)....Child please!

Here's your choir boys: https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

1 hour ago, carex said:

Sean Taylor, a man everyone here is paying tribute to recently, pulled a gun on three people over ATVs, he plead no contest and had a plea bargain in place. So mit's not like the Skins have only picked up saints in the past or it's unreasonable for players to get second chances and be forgiven

Don't worry about being popular. Popularity will get you nowhere here. You are absolutely right about ST. As a matter of fact, when the news came out that ST was shot, I guarantee a lot of folk on this forum jumped to some negative assumption before the facts came out. His situation is one reason, I don't jump to judgement when I don't know ****. Its also the reason I jump on folks here that are so quick to judgement. 

23 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Im on board with them taking a chance on RF.  He's an idiot, but now he's our idiot. If he's not in a Jail cell, he'll play for the Skins at some point down the road. 

If he ever plays for the Skins, its a steal.

Boom! Good point.

He's a young emotionally disturbed dude, probably in love with a toxic chick. Bad combo. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

Unpopular for a reason.

Its a bad comparison, as some thugs stole an ATV, and while pulling a gun wasnt smart, he did nothing, did not harm anybody, and for years here showed his true character(which wasnt just one incident).  In fact, the guys who stole the $14k ATVs were such thugs that later that day they went and shot up his friends moms house.

And its not a second chance for Foster if hes already assaulted her once before.  Its a 3rd chance.  4th if you count the drug suspension.  5th if you count the combine debacle.  Not even a comparison just because you heard the word "charges" uttered for both.

4 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Unpopular for a reason.

Its a bad comparison, as some thugs stole an ATV, and while pulling a gun wasnt smart, he did nothing, did not harm anybody, and for years here showed his true character(which wasnt just one incident).  In fact, the guys who stole the $14k ATVs were such thugs that later that day they went and shot up his friends moms house.

And its not a second chance for Foster if hes already assaulted her once before.  Its a 3rd chance.  4th if you count the drug suspension.  5th if you count the combine debacle.  Not even a comparison just because you heard the word "charges" uttered for both.

I was literally going to write the same thing.   This is not an isolated incident. There is a reason every other team passed on a talent like this, it's disgusting that the Redskins didn't do any more research than to ask his Alabama buddies.  And true to form Bruce crawled under the bed and once again sent Doug and Jay out to take the hit for a decision that he clearly signed off on.  

7 hours ago, carex said:

I'll say what I said before.

Sean Taylor was ours.  The Skins drafted him, we watched him make mistakes (I think the rookie symposium was hilarious though) and we watched him grow up.  ST did have some off-field issues but by all accounts worked at becoming a better person.  I'm not going to defend his actions on the ATV thing but the first thing he did was to call the cops, except the cops didn't do anything for a few days so he took matters into his own hands.  I'm not agreeing with the actions, but I understand. 

If you're going to bring up the ATV story, at least tell the whole thing.  And if you're going to somehow try to equate trying to get back stolen property from neighborhood thugs to beating a woman, well...that's your hill to fall on.  

Sean Taylor was a proud father, he had turned it around.  Everyone close to him points to him having his daughter as a serious turning point for him.  And he was a leader, the fact that he was the first in, last to leave at Redskins park is well documented.  

Reuben Foster is just a dude off the street with some serious issues.  He's not ours.  He hasn't, from what I can tell, shown contrition for anything he's done.  There's no effort to NOT be a giant bag of douche.  He's had quite a few chances in a short amount of time.

There's no real comparison here.  

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was literally going to write the same thing.   This is not an isolated incident. There is a reason every other team passed on a talent like this, it's disgusting that the Redskins didn't do any more research than to ask his Alabama buddies.  And true to form Bruce crawled under the bed and once again sent Doug and Jay out to take the hit for a decision that he clearly signed off on.  

They didn't even ask his Alabama buddies, at least Allen and Ha-Ha.  And it's not like SDH, Payne or Ryan Anderson stepped right up and said "Oh yeah, they talked to me,"  either.  

I dont think I’ve seen any mention the fact the Skins signed Junior Gallette after he was cut by the Saints following a video released where he punched a woman?!

The Skins did their due diligence then.... perhaps this could have a similar result, without the 2x Achilles tears.

7 hours ago, carex said:

This is a very poor analogy. Two main reasons: 

1. ST was defending his property and himself against thieves that could very well have been armed. And he did not actually shoot anyone. Yes, it could be foster was defending himself - but sorry unless she had a gun not seeing the need for someone his size to beat a women in self-defense. 

2. He was already on the team. This is a bigger factor than I think people are taking into account. It's one thing to have a guy in the building already, that you know much more closely and sticking with them because you believe in them, than bringing someone new in. For example, I do not fault SF for keeping Foster on through the first incident. Nor would I have blamed them for sticking with him through this if they thought there was any chance he was innocent. But now the team that drafted him and did stick with him through a few issues already is done with him. That should be a huge red flag. 

This part is more in general not directed at you:

I just do not see this as a smart move in any way. If you wanted him, they could have waited until after he is cleared. Then OK it may cost you more but you know who you have - although, it's just me - with all these dust ups, even if he is cleared this time I would likely stay away. Trouble seems to find this guy, fair or not. The potential of more drama following him seems very high. Having said that, I could understand someone taking a chance on him if he is cleared. That would make more sense than right now. 

I have seen multiple times people saying that it's unlikely he ever sees the field so why the issue. Ok, then why go through all the drama? If he never sees the field you go through all this drama for what? A guy who is most likely never going to see the field for you? This seems like a desperation - save my job move. Was it by Bruce? Jay? Dan? It sounds more like something Dan would want and Bruce would yes man his way through. That is obviously 100% conjecture on my part - but based on my appraisal of how these two have worked I suspect I am not too far off. The team is losing it's grip on first place and Dan is panicking, and probably Bruce too. But this smacks of a Dan Snyder induced move. Again, just a guess on my part. 

16 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I dont think I’ve seen any mention the fact the Skins signed Junior Gallette after he was cut by the Saints following a video released where he punched a woman?!

The Skins did their due diligence then.... perhaps this could have a similar result, without the 2x Achilles tears.

First, there was never a video of JR Galette punching a woman. That is 100% false. The video was of Galette swinging a belt at a woman on the beach. He was defending himself and his family from a group of people harassing them. The video did not show the whole thing. He was never charged for that incident. The incident that he was arrested for was supposedly physically keeping a woman from leaving his house - those charges had already been dropped when the Redskins signed him. And they had already been told no charges were being filed for the beach incident. So when the Redskins signed Galette he had already been cleared. There were no pending charges.

He did get arrested for getting into a fight at a concert in MS. Per the officers on site, he would not have been charged with anything had he not run. In the end he was just charged with  two misdemeanors: Disorderly Conduct and Failure to comply - both related to him running, not the fight itself in which no charges were brought. But this was when he was already on the team - not before. As I said in another comment this is a huge distinction. Had the 49ers decided to stick it out again that would have made more sense than us bringing the guy in after being released by another team - again it should have been a huge red flag to the Redskins. 

Keep grasping at examples to make this OK but there really are none, none at all. This is not OK, not right now. If he gets cleared? OK, then go after him. But the team does not need this kind of drama for a guy that has trouble find him on a regular basis while his guilt or innocence is still in question. If he were already in the building and they did their own research and wanted to stick with him, fine. I get that. But why bring a guy like this in new?

How much of the bad behavior we see may be caused by brain injuries from playing football all their lives. Or via the aggression taught to them, that is almost an innate part of the game.  Sure, the kindest gentlest wall flower can flip a switch and do the same violent things, so it's just food for thought. They just don't get the publicity.

I have a feeling some of our favorite players from yesteryear were also bad apples. There was no instagram for images to be posted immediately for the entire world to see.  What we don't know can't hurt you something.

Glad to see some others have chimed in with regards to ST being a guy we spent a first round draft pick on vs. Foster being someone else’s problem we didn’t have to take on.

On a different note, the “little risk/big reward” crowd seems to miss the negative impact of claiming this guy has on the actual team.  

Jay has to spend his press conferences tense, trying to answer for the organization.  You can see the stress on his face, like it finally hit him that he works in the twilight zone. I’m sure there was plenty of time spent on this player that may never play for us that could have been better spent.

Players, specifically the few Alabama guys they talked to, say that nobody from the team talked to them about him.  They have to go out of their way to say they don’t condone the actions and so on.  

Other players in the locker room dealing with the questions and more importantly there own feelings about domestic violence and the message going and getting Foster sends.

And whatever other drama that’s attached to this situation.

It’s not so much the PR hit for the team that is the problem, it’s everyone else having to deal with it.  For a guy that may never take a snap for the team.  Perhaps this is small potatoes for a winning organization, but for an organization not known for being great at winning off the field or on it, this is an unnecessary distraction.

Archived