Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So... In the interest of the rules, I'm a little confused how a majority of this conversation is football related (it's really not), but the earlier conversation regarding innocent before proven guilty wasn't.

This is not an attack on moderators, or members. But I don't understand how the thread was supposed to stay "football related" and hasn't in the least. Or maybe I understood the mod request incorrectly. Which very well could be the case here.

Come on Dawg. You can't expect a hot button issue such as domestic abuse to be ignored and swept under the rug. Football discussion is the last thing that should be discussed in regards to Foster. 

1 hour ago, hailmary said:

If we don't claim him another team would have. What if he is cleared, choses to move on from this woman and plays himself into the HALL? NO ONE would ever question this move and some may call it brilliant! 

There's nothing as exciting as a comeback-seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting another chance!

HTTR!

The Redskins were the only team that put a claim in on him and it's clear they weren't expecting that with how they fumbled the press release.  But I guess you'd expect that anyway since the Skins have the worst PR department in professional sports.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but picking Foster up 3 days after his 3rd arrest in a year is a bit much.  I know Jay's spinning it as he hasn't gotten a 2nd chance yet but Foster is still getting paid his salary while being on the exempt list.  That's like getting fired from your job and another company picks up your salary and pays you while you take care of your legal issues and go to counseling while not having to do actual work for the company.  Guess that's what great sideline-to-sideline speed gets you these days.  

3 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

Come on Dawg. You can't expect a hot button issue such as domestic abuse to be ignored and swept under the rug. Football discussion is the last thing that should be discussed in regards to Foster. 

Don't look at me with that statement. I am clarifying something a mod mentioned earlier in the thread. Nothing more.

All I know is I will support and pray for this young man's success moving forward! I believe everyone of us has made poor choices in life, some bigger some smaller but in the end we all learn from them one way or the other. This young man has had a rough year but hasn't been proven to have done something (at this point) to ruin his life/dreams!

HTTR for possibly lending the helping hands!

2 minutes ago, hailmary said:

All I know is I will support and pray for this young man's success moving forward! I believe everyone of us has made poor choices in life, some bigger some smaller but in the end we all learn from them one way or the other. This young man has had a rough year but hasn't been proven to have done something (at this point) to ruin his life/dreams!

If only Dallas made this move to see how you and some others here would feel about it.

15 hours ago, kleese said:

Yes, the took him KNOWING the baggage. They also knew his talent and felt it was worth the temporary backlash (and there was a little bit from the media on that). 

For the record, I wouldn’t have signed him either. But my reasons are because THIS organization shouldn’t go there. Just not a great decision considering we’ve made some strides lately. That said, if Foster winds up being good here I’ll be the first to admit I’ll jump off my couch cheering for him on Sunday’s. 

My bigger issue with the fan and media reaction is the inconsistency and hypocrisy when comparing this situation to others. Not a huge fan of moralizing arbitrarily. 

What Hill did, that one time early on in his career, was a singular and terrible incident.  It wasn't anywhere near in the same context, and this is nowhere near the same:

The Chiefs were criticized by fans[22] for the selection due to his past issues with domestic violence and the Chiefs' history with former linebacker Jovan Belcher. General Manager John Dorsey had to receive consent from Chiefs' owner Clark Hunt to make the selection and says they thoroughly vetted the prospect which included speaking to the prosecutor that charged him. After drafting him, the Chiefs' held an impromptu press conference and addressed the issue to the media during the first day of rookie mini camp.

Bruce didn't talk to ANYONE because the arrest report wasn't even dry yet.  There was no vetting, nobody but Philly even called law enforcement to find out what happened.  This is his THIRD arrest THIS YEAR.  He's had double the amount of arrests as he has had full seasons on a team.  How do you not see the tremendous difference?  Come on, mann.

15 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If they didn't want the players to answer questions about why they recommended Foster, why did they make an announcement specifically saying that the players recommended him?

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell he's talking about.  "Hey guys, we're gonna tell the media one thing, then I want you to lie to them, because if you tell the truth, then something something conspiracy."

44 minutes ago, hailmary said:

Fair enough,

I never said "the accused" is a victim, In fact this issue hasn't gone through the courts so no one knows the outcome. Not sure about you but most of us have made "very poor judgements" in our lives. This young man needs guidance for sure and I believe he has a right to learn from this and to overcome this by being an outstanding person ON & OFF the field that's all !

I'm 34.  I've never, ever, EVER been arrested.  I've never done anything close to considered domestic violence.  Ever.

I've gone 70 in a 55.  I've ended sentences in prepositions.  I guess those are "very poor judgements?"

Just because others do something doesn't make it right or justify another's doing of it.  "Other people have shot people so like come on, officer NBD."

What is the greater sin? @NewCliche21 killing somebody or stealing a cracker? Society would say killing someone yet a sins a sin. Why are we so wanting to judge this man as if our crap dont stink? Ok so maybe you havent came close to domestic abuse but that dont mean you havent wronged anybody. Or hurt someones feelings; mentally, verbally. etc. All the meanwhile she has a proven track history of false claims. And u dont know if she doing this just to ruin his football career. Which no matter what was a terrible judgement call on his behalf to see her but...hey. you going 70 in a 55 has a greater chance of killing another driver. Thats a poor decision in itself right? We all got flaws and we put football players on pedestals yet forget theyre mere human just like us all. This man is young, immature in his decision making yet has the talent to be an all pro lb. Get this man some help, and let it play out. In the meantime im glad we are willing to trying to push this man to get right instead of shunning him. 

23 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm 34.  I've never, ever, EVER been arrested.  I've never done anything close to considered domestic violence.  Ever.

I've gone 70 in a 55.  I've ended sentences in prepositions.  I guess those are "very poor judgements?"

Just because others do something doesn't make it right or justify another's doing of it.  "Other people have shot people so like come on, officer NBD."

I agree with your point here. I think, by and large, most of us have our head on straight better than a lot of athletes. Having said that, I just think it's a slippery slope to start using that moral compass to determine who can and cannot be on our team. 

We don't have to like every player, but I'm not sure I really want to pop the hood on what some of my favorite athletes through the years had done. I remember that Ricky Sanders once was arrested or accused of assault outside a bar or strip club (I think this was a year or two after he became my favorite player during Super Bowl XXII). I was probably 12 when that happened and remember thinking something asinine like "What was he doing at a bar!!??" 

These guys do horrible things. Is that OK? No...but I think it gets tricky to pick and choose which bad things are acceptable and which bad things are over the line. I'm not condoning domestic violence like many in here think...I'm actually going the other way. If we don't like a guy for that (which is completely logical), why are we OK with guys who commit assault or drive drunk or pull guns on people? 

My point is also that I try not to worry about any of it. These guys aren't my role models (like I thought Ricky Sanders was when I was a kid) or my friends. I'm not introducing Ryan Kerrigan to my sister. So, as cold as it sounds, if they are legally allowed to play I'd like my team to have as many good players as they can. 

I can handle the criticism/skepticism regarding the Foster signing, what is ridiculous though is the "exposed for who we know they were" narrative, as if signing players with a trouble past is somehow exclusive to this organization.  People who are writing that can STF-right-U. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I can handle the criticism/skepticism regarding the Foster signing, what is ridiculous though is the "exposed for who we know they were" narrative, as if signing players with a trouble past is somehow exclusive to this organization.  People who are writing that can STF-right-U. 

If you have an ax to grind with Snyder/Allen, this is the narrative you have to push.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

@Jumbo any clarification here? I'm of the opinion that this topic is a slippery slope and really needs to be talked about with a much broader lens. But I'm not going to go against the established MO to do so. So before I respond any further in this thread, I'm looking for some clarification please.

The following is in general, not @ kdawg:

Boy. some of you guys sometimes. 

First thing i want to say is many here aren't having an issue keeping it in the lanes and we really appreciate it (actually applying effort to follow the rules).

For those understandably or inexcusably challenged:

It's not that most here aren't intelligent enough to figure it out---my call is they just don't try and self-indulge instead. And now I take more time to explain what I suggest was clear enough. I even gave examples of what not to dive into and extend conversations upon---like dv in general, false accusations, the courts, the media, etc. And now I'm just repeating the same instructions.

There's plenty of ways to discuss risk/rewards, the team's locker-room reactions, FO shenanigans, on the field aspects, that are all worthy and fit within this forum's parameters. A brief mention of some of the more political aspects in making your point is not the main issue here, but it becomes  a real problem when multiple posters engage in extended exchanges on multiple sociopolitical angles. We don't do that on this forum (bulletin).

So the idea would be posters try to think and be cooperative with that long-established forum rule (since day one).  I also said if you lack the intellect or self-management to follow the directive, stay out of the thread. We're expecting help and effort from posters on this, not perfection.

And, this a.m., tso moved another thread on this matter that was even more political to the tailgate so ya'll go to that one if those are the tangents you want to discuss, and when posting there, keep it on your sociopolitical arguments and try to minimize or leave out entirely redskin football comments in respect to that forum.

For ****'s sake at least  just try if you're going to post.

Just now, Jumbo said:

Go to the tailgate one if you have the need. It should get even crazier in there :806:

I actually don't have the need. Was going to respond to some of the... uhh... more challenged responses in here in particular... But I don't feel the need to spread my thoughts through 35 threads on the subject matter.

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

Here to Serve :)

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But I don't feel the need to spread my thoughts through 35 threads on the subject matter.

How oddly well-adjusted that is for a longtime member. :P

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but the Redskins and the signing of Foster was on NBC's nightly news last night. For those of you unfamiliar with NBC nightly news its a 30 minute world news show (The most watched on television) that mainly deals with politics, hardly ever sports . They did a not so nice review of our signing with clips of Peter King trashing the organization and the franchises in his words lack of respect for women.

Congratulations to the front office for bringing the circus back to town.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, hailmary said:

I totally agree and believe in second chances for those who are truly remorseful for what they have done, but..... My allegiance lies with the Washington Redskins and i can't see how this signing helps a organization that has worked so hard to change the culture in the locker room & in the press. A team like the Patriots with solid ownership and drill sgt Bellichek can make this work, Us ? Im not so sure.

26 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but the Redskins and the signing of Foster was on NBC's nightly news last night. For those of you unfamiliar with NBC nightly news its a 30 minute world news show (The most watched on television) that mainly deals with politics, hardly ever sports . They did a not so nice review of our signing with clips of Peter King trashing the organization and the franchises in his words lack of respect for women.

Congratulations to the front office for bringing the circus back to town.

There are a LOT of sports stories that have (and would) get run on the NBC Nightly News.

Archived