Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

This kind of has that 'mystery box' feel to it. We don't know what's inside.

A lot of pros vs cons on nabbing the rights to Foster, but its a good distraction from the drubbing the Redskins will be getting 4 days from now.

Hey, maybe we can blame this on the loss.

Regardless, I hope the young man sees how his actions and lifestyle can put a damper on his career and he makes a change in his life. We've all seen this scenario; players that grew up in a single parent household, rough neighborhood, hoodlum friends, and no adult male leadership to steer them in the right direction, and how easy things can go very wrong with the wrong choices in life.

I don't like seeing anyone making bad choices in life, but I also know that with proper guidance young men like Foster can be saved. He is a good player, but he just needs people that care, good friends, and guidance; that's not a lot to ask, is it?

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But why bring a guy like this in new?

If we don't claim him another team would have. What if he is cleared, choses to move on from this woman and plays himself into the HALL? NO ONE would ever question this move and some may call it brilliant! 

There's nothing as exciting as a comeback-seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting another chance!

HTTR!

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Keep grasping at examples to make this OK but there really are none, none at all. This is not OK, not right now. If he gets cleared? OK, then go after him. But the team does not need this kind of drama for a guy that has trouble find him on a regular basis while his guilt or innocence is still in question. If he were already in the building and they did their own research and wanted to stick with him, fine. I get that. But why bring a guy like this in new?

The idea of "go after him once everything is cleared" is only workable if you completely ignore the opportunity costs of putting in a claim on the waiver wire and of not putting in a claim. There's a validity to both sides, both actions (claim vs no claim), just depends on the opportunity cost for each action.

And the drama is going to be there when signing Foster no matter what...he's now been arrested twice for DV in less than a year. Even if it's been shown the accuser wasn't telling the truth both times, very few people will see him as a victim. Right now there are a LOT of people--fans and in the media--who paint Foster as a vile human being, not because of this latest arrest (nothing was really known at the time) but because they instinctually believe this latest arrest along with the 49ers cutting him validates the previous accusations, which were just abhorrent. The fact that those previous accusations were made up by the accuser is irrelevant. Doesn't matter. In the realm of public opinion and conventional wisdom, he did every single one of those things, including throwing a damn dog across the room. His not being in jail is just chalked up to he's rich and famous, "probably" paid her off or "probably" did this or "probably" did that...

4 minutes ago, hailmary said:

If we don't claim him another team would have. What if he is cleared, choses to move on from this woman and plays himself into the HALL? NO ONE would ever question this move and some may call it brilliant! 

There's nothing as exciting as a comeback-seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting another chance!

HTTR!

This is similar to the old adage, can’t win the lottery if you don’t play.  But what if it’s your last 2 Bucks?

You know when guns and drugs are barely getting mentions, the guy has a lot going on.

Reuben Foster of the San Francisco 49ers has been fined and suspended without pay for the first two games of the 2018 regular season for violating the NFL’s Conduct and Substances of Abuse policies. The violations stem from a weapons offense and a misdemeanor drug offense, both of which were resolved earlier this year.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

You know when guns and drugs are barely getting mentions, the guy has a lot going on.

No, I think it shows how much the public--and the press catering to the public--love drama. Both the weapons charge and the marijuana charge were so milquetoast that they hardly are worth talking about. In fact, when a player gets arrested or suspended for smoking a joint, most of the time we fans start talking about how ridiculous that it's still considered illegal, how the NFL needs to change its drug policy, how players use it to combat pain, etc, etc.  Not sure why it would or should now be seen as evidence of something being wrong with a player's character.

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The idea of "go after him once everything is cleared" is only workable if you completely ignore the opportunity costs of putting in a claim on the waiver wire and of not putting in a claim. There's a validity to both sides, both actions (claim vs no claim), just depends on the opportunity cost for each action.

And the drama is going to be there when signing Foster no matter what...he's now been arrested twice for DV in less than a year. Even if it's been shown the accuser wasn't telling the truth both times, very few people will see him as a victim. Right now there are a LOT of people--fans and in the media--who paint Foster as a vile human being, not because of this latest arrest (nothing was really known at the time) but because they instinctually believe this latest arrest along with the 49ers cutting him validates the previous accusations, which were just abhorrent. The fact that those previous accusations were made up by the accuser is irrelevant. Doesn't matter. In the realm of public opinion and conventional wisdom, he did every single one of those things, including throwing a damn dog across the room. His not being in jail is just chalked up to he's rich and famous, "probably" paid her off or "probably" did this or "probably" did that...

I think you were building off what I said? Not truly clear and can be read as if you are telling me the problem with my comment. So just to be clear - I would not go after him ever. In fact I even stated I would not go after him even if he were cleared. What I said is I could see it if someone else wanted to take that chance. 

30 minutes ago, hailmary said:

HTTR!

More than willing to take the risk this guy does not turn into a HOF player- more importantly I do not want him here even if he does turn into a HOF player. Ray Lewis is in the HOF and he is a total POS in my personal opinion and I would not have wanted him on the Redskins. I know not all people have that opinion but it's mine. 

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

No, I think it shows how much the public--and the press catering to the public--love drama. Both the weapons charge and the marijuana charge were so milquetoast that they hardly are worth talking about. In fact, when a player gets arrested or suspended for smoking a joint, most of the time we fans start talking about how ridiculous that it's still considered illegal, how the NFL needs to change its drug policy, how players use it to combat pain, etc, etc.  Not sure why it would or should now be seen as evidence of something being wrong with a player's character.

Good points. It is America, after all. The wild wild west, let's call it.

But the league is obsessed with not letting their players treat their own injuries in the ways they see best.  In Israel, when an athlete is suspected of a concussion, they may immediately get a CBD injection to reduce the inflammation.  Heads would explode here with such a "radical" practice using a schedule 1 in plain view of the children. So because of that, it is still news and suspension worthy that he may prefer Dr Green over the team doc.

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think you were building off what I said? Not truly clear and can be read as if you are telling me the problem with my comment. So just to be clear - I would not go after him ever. In fact I even stated I would not go after him even if he were cleared. What I said is I could see it if someone else wanted to take that chance. 

More than willing to take the risk this guy does not turn into a HOF player- more importantly I do not want him here even if he does turn into a HOF player. Ray Lewis is in the HOF and he is a total POS in my personal opinion and I would not have wanted him on the Redskins. I know not all people have that opinion but it's mine. 

You defiantly prove you have your mind set RF is this horrible criminal, but can I ask you would it be the same if this was your young son?

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Good points. It is America, after all. The wild wild west, let's call it.

But the league is obsessed with not letting their players treat their own injuries in the ways they see best.  In Israel, when an athlete is suspected of a concussion, they may immediately get a CBD injection to reduce the inflammation.  Heads would explode here with such a "radical" practice using a schedule 1 in plain view of the children. So because of that, it is still news and suspension worthy that he may prefer Dr Green over the team doc.

CBD...um, yeah, I...uh...have heard about that. Yeah. 😶

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yeah, building off of it, but also stating that there is no "safe" way of going after Foster. It would be seen as turning a blind eye to DV whether a team put in a waiver claim now or went after him after being cleared (if that were to happen). 

8 minutes ago, hailmary said:

You defiantly prove you have your mind set RF is this horrible criminal, but can I ask you would it be the same if this was your young son?

If my son were a criminal I would deal with him as any father would. But he is not my son. So it's irrelevant to this conversation other than people keep trying to make the accused the victim. Poor guy just had a rough life. No one really cares for him. He just needs a helping hand. **** that! He is not a victim here. He is at least guilty of very poor judgement several times over. I hope he gets help at a personal level. But that is enough for me to not want him on my team on in my business. Period. And oddly enough i get to make that decision.  

BTW: Let's drop the exaggeration. I never said he was a "horrible criminal." I said there is enough there for me to not want him on my team. 

10 minutes ago, hailmary said:

Man, we’re now at the point of making posters pretend Foster is their son? 🤣

Innocent until proven guilty.  Sure, for crimes.  But it’s obvious he’s guilty of finding trouble.  If he was my son, I’d be severely disappointed in him and understand that his decisions have repercussions.

So... In the interest of the rules, I'm a little confused how a majority of this conversation is football related (it's really not), but the earlier conversation regarding innocent before proven guilty wasn't.

This is not an attack on moderators, or members. But I don't understand how the thread was supposed to stay "football related" and hasn't in the least. Or maybe I understood the mod request incorrectly. Which very well could be the case here.

@Jumbo any clarification here? I'm of the opinion that this topic is a slippery slope and really needs to be talked about with a much broader lens. But I'm not going to go against the established MO to do so. So before I respond any further in this thread, I'm looking for some clarification please.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If my son were a criminal I would deal with him as any father would. But he is not my son. So it's irrelevant to this conversation other than people keep trying to make the accused the victim. Poor guy just had a rough life. No one really cares for him. He just needs a helping hand. **** that! He is not a victim here. He is at least guilty of very poor judgement several times over. I hope he gets help at a personal level. But that is enough for me to not want him on my team on in my business. Period. And oddly enough i get to make that decision.  

Fair enough,

I never said "the accused" is a victim, In fact this issue hasn't gone through the courts so no one knows the outcome. Not sure about you but most of us have made "very poor judgements" in our lives. This young man needs guidance for sure and I believe he has a right to learn from this and to overcome this by being an outstanding person ON & OFF the field that's all !

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So... In the interest of the rules, I'm a little confused how a majority of this conversation is football related (it's really not), but the earlier conversation regarding innocent before proven guilty wasn't.

This is not an attack on moderators, or members. But I don't understand how the thread was supposed to stay "football related" and hasn't in the least. Or maybe I understood the mod request incorrectly. Which very well could be the case here.

Yeah, kinda hard to discuss the move without also discussing all the issues surrounding the move.

Maybe someone can start to explain why Foster's play on the field warrants taking the PR hit, or the opposite (why his play on the field doesn't warrant it)?

Great. Now I have that song 8675309 stuck in my head, when I should be focusing on football. I mean work. OK my DFS fantasy lineup ft Trey Quinn.

Back OT, the Reuben Sammich Foster signing is all over my preferred news sites. That are not sports related in the least. Way to go Bruce!

19 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

No other team submitted a claim for him.  He would've cleared waivers had we not submitted one.

Nobody knows that at the time waiver claims need to be submitted, though. And you definitely can not say "Don't worry, he'll make it through waivers". We've lost injured rookies to the waiver wire before under that assumption. I guess it could be argued that the Skins' decision makers overestimated how the rest of the league viewed Foster, maybe?

Archived