Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

5 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Dude holy crap. You and a bunch of others will run with anything and everything that fits your own narratives without giving it a second of thought.

A second, or even a third or fourth thought won't probably be enough...

6 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Do you really truly believe the Skins issued a statement and then were just too damn lazy or forgot to tell the players to say yes? I would bet my life savings they talked to those guys and were instructed to say no, fully aware it contradicted their earlier statement.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna lose because well answering "NO" is basically telling everyone that the statement is 100% false. Which doesn't help the FO's case...

They could have either answer YES and that's it, no more comments on this...

But well, they didn't even got Doug Williams' name correct and didn't bothered to check it out. Looks like a histed statement from the team because they knew they were doing stupid and wanted to back it up...

Now JP Finlay got an article and some comments from a few guys on the team regarding the move. That's quite interesting. You can find it in BHRBN, but if you're too lazy, I'll post some here:

Trent Williams: "That's above my pay grade, man. They could bring in who they want to bring in, and it's up to us to welcome whoever it is in with open arms and make them part of the team."

Chris Thompson: "I mean that a decision that Jay and Bruce, Dan all of those guys have made. From what I know Reuben has been a guy, he’s a young guy he’s made some mistakes. I don’t know whether some of the things are true or not. For me, if he goes through the legal process and everything and charges are dropped I’m going to accept him as my teammate and move on with him. I feel like Doug and those guys they went out and grabbed him for a reason. That’s not in my hands."

Jonathan Allen: "I mean I'm definitely excited he gets another opportunity. Besides that, I can't really say too much about it. I mean I don't really know anything about the situation so I'm probably not the best person to talk to about it."

Vernon Davis: "I feel like everyone should care about who’s in their locker room. But we also have to trust that the guys upstairs are making the right decision. That they’re making the best decision for the sake of the team, for the sake of the organization. I guess they’re doing their due diligence on everything as far as everything that happened. The feel like they’re taking a good chance, so I stay out of the way and support whatever it is they’re doing."

That's not really supportive of what the guys upstairs are doing. Trent Williams' answer is very telling to me.

14 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If they didn't want the players to answer questions about why they recommended Foster, why did they make an announcement specifically saying that the players recommended him?

I'm taking the ones who said " no comment ", as being the ones the team talked to. But either way, I wish they all would have answered that way.

" None of your business " would have worked for me, too.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the media specifically?  You got a mix of everything.  The person closest to my theory is Paulsen which is he gets the logic of it but he'd wait before pulling the trigger, this is too soon to jump on it.   Russell is all over the place but explaining the pragmatic side of it.  Everyone that I can tell within the WP has slammed it.  National media has mostly been harsh. 

Only interesting thing for me is he said they checked into the incident a little with the Tampa police.  But more or less repeated the points from Doug's press release that Foster has a lot of work to do to clear himself, etc.  He said he talked to Foster for a few minutes but wouldn't disclose the conversation.  He also said he won't talk about the issue again after that press conference.

It's not just on the radio, he's put in writing before that Scot needed to be fired.  I am a bit of a talk radio junkie I have it on all day typically while I work.   I have listened to lots of Russell including on this topic and the drinking part he doesn't really harp on much.  That's really Brewer and the WP crew they are the ones who love the drinking story.  And whomever leaked the story to the WP about Scot's firing did Bruce no favors on that front (if it wasn't Bruce) since they talked about the drinking. 

Don't get me wrong Russell hates Bruce.  But he's been probably the most relentless media person hammering Scot and helping Bruce with that specific story -- even running one report that Bruce initially saved Scot's job when Dan wanted him canned. 

I'm just now getting caught up with this thread lol...

Is this the comment from Paulsen you mean?

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen

Signing Reuben Foster will bring major blowback. Understandably. Redskins expected when they claimed that he would be immediately suspended. Viewing as a chance to get him right off the field, while adding 2 years of a stellar linebacker. May never play with team. Rolling dice.

Cuz that's my initial take as well, more or less. They're taking a chance, seeing what happens in terms of investigations, decided some other team might put a waier claim on Foster as well for the same reasons and said "**** it, let's do it", understood the blowback but thought it was survivable.

Re: Gruden's presser...I finally watched it lol. What stood out to me (the comment about the Tampa police, I agree) was just a quick kind of hesitation where he was answering some question and sounded like he was gonna say something like "We just have to deal with what we're handed" but stopped at "just" lol...not sure of the exact wording, but he slightly went down that road and then hesitated and made a left turn onto Coachspeak Rd.

Re: Russell. I guess I don't remember him saying Scot needed to be fired early in the process. I actually remember Jason Reid having a twitter thread and it was full of current and previous writers who cover(ed) the Skins, and they were going back and forth between themselves taking their clubs to Bruce Allen unmercifully in terms of Scot being fired by ego and pride and really nothing else. I wanna say Russell was in there as well, but I'd have to go check to say for certrain.

3 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I'm taking the ones who said " no comment ", as being the ones the team talked to. But either way, I wish they all would have answered that way.

" None of your business " would have worked for me, too.

That's actually a good point (both are)...one, not sure any player is gonna go on record as saying "Yeah, he apparently beat up his girlfriend again, but I vouched for him"....and two, if everyone said "no comment, go talk to the coaches" it would have been much better.

It concerns me that the front office was divided on this signing and that  Bruce won out. And then he doesn't even take the podium to defend the signing...if JG was opposed to this signing and had to go up and defend it thats just wrong. I imagine thats not the case but Bruce is a coward for not speaking to this controversial move. I remember when the Eagles signed Vick and the fans were irate in Philly...Jeffrey Lurie, the team owner, personally took to the podium. Where is The Danny???

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It concerns me that the front office was divided on this signing and that  the won out. And then he doesn't even take the podium to defend the signing...if JG was opposed to this signing and had to go up and defend it thats just wrong. I imagine thats not the case but Bruce is a coward for not speaking to this controversial move. I remember when the Eagles signed Vick and the fans were irate in Philly...Jeffrey Lurie, the team owner, personally took to the podium. Where is The Danny???

Again, for clarity's sake...Foster's issues are in no way, shape or form in the same galaxy as Vick's issues. Vick needed the team owner to explain signing him. As of right now, Foster has never been convicted of anything and the only previous time the guy was accused of DV the accuser admitted it was all made up. I for one do not want Snyder talking on this subject, nor do I feel Reuben Foster warrants that type of response.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not just that, he got arrested at the team hotel during a road trip.  He forced their hand.

Yep, being arrested at the team hotel on a road trip--regardless of whether or not the accusations are true--will get you tossed off the team most times if you're someone with Foster's rep.

3 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I just find it interesting how weve became a society of...guilty til proven innocent. Like we just automatically assume that every SINGLE time without giving the defendant a fair chance. Its despicable and honestly its shameful. 

Well, I don't think we've just arrived to the guilty until proven innocent society.  This society has been like that many, many, many, decades.

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Again, for clarity's sake...Foster's issues are in no way, shape or form in the same galaxy as Vick's issues. Vick needed the team owner to explain signing him. As of right now, Foster has never been convicted of anything and the only previous time the guy was accused of DV the accuser admitted it was all made up. I for one do not want Snyder talking on this subject, nor do I feel Reuben Foster warrants that type of response.

Snyder didn't need to step to the podium, however Bruce and/or Doug needed to get out in front and talk to the media to try and shield their coach and players from having to answer all these questions.   A press release isn't enough.  There's no leadership in this FO.

On 11/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, Suffolk_Skins said:

A lot more going on here. The first allegations were dropped and judge said there was zero evidence but then he was arrested again (same victim). He has not been found guilty of DV at this time.

But still...

3 arrests in one year makes ya wonder...

or is he being set up ?

Just now catching wind of this story a day late, so I'm sorry if my point has already been made or addressed in the thread.

Since the Danny bought the team, it seems like coaches and players come to Washington to get paid and then fail in every way. It stinks. 

2 minutes ago, drowland said:

Snyder didn't need to step to the podium, however Bruce and/or Doug needed to get out in front and talk to the media to try and shield their coach and players from having to answer all these questions.   A press release isn't enough.  There's no leadership in this FO.

Coaches talk about that stuff. As do agents. If/when Gruden gets canned, the Skins will be in the back of line when it comes to coaching candidates. The organization's rep is simply brutal.

The Redskins messing up on the PR side of this filtering to the Alabama part of the story?  How can that be?  They are usually so masterful and smooth on this front.  :806:

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix and Jonathan Allen saying no -- even though secretly their answer was yes?  That's hard to believe.  I'd presume their no meant no.  Who knows though. 

Now, the no comment ones those to me are the ones that are more likely to be yes.  

If I had to take a stab at this they talked to maybe a couple of Alabama players versus the full crop and maybe I am misremembering but I think Ryan Anderson is the closest with Foster but could be wrong.

I think this is a no loose deal. If the kid is guilty and kicked out of the league for good then you just cut him loose. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I am sure there are other guys that have had the same charges brought against them and they are still playing. The FO should be playing this up as a chance to help a mixed up kid. Is anyone saying the Eagles are scum for playing Vick? No he got straightened out.  There are a lot of guys playing that if it was not for the NFL would be in jail. If he has to pay a suspension then you just get him help and wait until he finishes his suspension and he plays. If he screws up again then he is done. What is the problem? We all make mistakes and hopefully we learn by them. He who is without sin throw the first stone.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Redskins messing up on the PR side of this filtering to the Alabama part of the story?  How can that be?  They are usually so masterful and smooth on this front.  :806:

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix and Jonathan Allen saying no -- even though secretly their answer was yes?  That's hard to believe. 

Now, the no comment ones could be yes.  

If I had to take a stab at this they talked to maybe a couple of Alabama players versus the full crop and maybe I am misremembering but I think Ryan Anderson is the closest with Foster but could be wrong.

Good point. I figured Ryan Anderson and SDH having been the ones who would know him best. Position drills,  meetings... etc.

Interesting to see what impact this has on the starting defense our depth and upcoming draft. 

Improved speed at the ILB position makes EDGE/SPEED rusher the top draft priority on defense.

I will then go to the other thread about best front seven and respond a resounding no. It could be next year.

54 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm just now getting caught up with this thread lol...

Is this the comment from Paulsen you mean?

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen

Signing Reuben Foster will bring major blowback. Understandably. Redskins expected when they claimed that he would be immediately suspended. Viewing as a chance to get him right off the field, while adding 2 years of a stellar linebacker. May never play with team. Rolling dice.

Cuz that's my initial take as well, more or less. They're taking a chance, seeing what happens in terms of investigations, decided some other team might put a waier claim on Foster as well for the same reasons and said "**** it, let's do it", understood the blowback but thought it was survivable.

He elaborated more on the radio which is why not let the process play out and then nab him. It's what I said earlier this morning on the board so I assume he stole it from me. :806:    Instead, grabbing the dude a few days after his stint in jail is too soon and he could understand why its not the right look.  That's how I see it, too.    

I hope things work out and this young man behaves himself but I think it is a very cynical and callous decision by the Skins to acquire him.  Forget the Father Flannigan approach the Skins just hope they can get some superior play from this troubled young man before he blows up again and when it happens they will kick him to the curb and say we gave him every chance and support we could but it just wasn't enough to help him.  I've seen this sort of scenario play out so many times and people always say it is a shame that a young squandered his talent rather than say it was wrong for the NFL franchises to distract the troubled young when what he clearly needs to do his work on his outlook and behavior.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Re: Gruden's presser...I finally watched it lol. What stood out to me (the comment about the Tampa police, I agree) was just a quick kind of hesitation where he was answering some question and sounded like he was gonna say something like "We just have to deal with what we're handed" but stopped at "just" lol...not sure of the exact wording, but he slightly went down that road and then hesitated and made a left turn onto Coachspeak Rd.

Re: Russell. I guess I don't remember him saying Scot needed to be fired early in the process. I actually remember Jason Reid having a twitter thread and it was full of current and previous writers who cover(ed) the Skins, and they were going back and forth between themselves taking their clubs to Bruce Allen unmercifully in terms of Scot being fired by ego and pride and really nothing else. I wanna say Russell was in there as well, but I'd have to go check to say for certrain.

I listened to Jay on the radio, got to watch it now to see his body language.  

As for Russell, you give him a hard time but he's actually the main guy leading the dance with just about every story that pokes holes in the WP version of Scot's firing -- so ironically a lot of the monkey wrenches you are throwing in those narratives are scoops from Chris Russell.  Yeah he doesn't like Bruce.  Yes, he will take digs at him.  But he's practically a one man gang helping Bruce on the Scot story. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix and Jonathan Allen saying no -- even though secretly their answer was yes?  That's hard to believe.  I'd presume their no meant no.  Who knows though. 

Now, the no comment ones those to me are the ones that are more likely to be yes.  

I see the No Comments as one of two things.  They didn't speak the FO about Reuben but saw the press release and don't want to contradict what was said.  Ha-Ha and Allen are in a little different position to speak freely since they're pro-bowl level players.  Or it could be they did speak to the FO and vouched for Reuben but don't want to publicially put their name on it.  I could believe either one.  

Archived