Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

First chance I have had to post on this. Here's the thing. I think there is a less than 1% chance that this guy ever sees the field as a Skin. And if that is the case why take the risk? The media beatdown will be relentless over this. And it will never go away.

As a player Foster has a chance to be great. Not just good but an all pro level linebacker. I had him as the 3rd best defensive player in the draft. I get that he has a support base here with former teammates. But it isn't like that helped him in college? 

His contract would be a steal and allow us to part ways with Browns ridiculous contract in the off season. But how can you count on the guy? What has he EVER DONE to show that you can rely on him. Absolutely nothing. I am scratching my head over this decision. Although I have been scratching my head over a lot of decisions in the past couple of decades.

2 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yes and no. Every team, even the great ones make bad moves every year. It's my belief the most successful teams are able to recognize early they made mistakes and not operate future moves based off sunk costs.

I don't know that Brown has been some monumental mistake... I do know that i don't really want to pay him $9+ mil for 2020 so I guess if this thing shakes out with Foster and he can take over for the future, then why wait.  My concern would be that Foster gets himself in some trouble again after we release Brown and then we're really sunk if he's suspended for any extended period of time.  While i'm absolutely in favor of due process and if Foster comes out clean in this latest issue... he's already been suspended as well as investigated by the league more than once.  NFL will bring the hammer down if he crosses any lines.

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

First chance I have had to post on this. Here's the thing. I think there is a less than 1% chance that this guy ever sees the field as a Skin. And if that is the case why take the risk? The media beatdown will be relentless over this. And it will never go away.

Agree with this.  I see some here flip this around by saying he likely won't play here so what's the risk?  But I see it your way.  Why the PR hit on arguably one of the most sensitive national issues relating to the NFL -- let alone the distraction this week leading to arguably the game of the season.  If they are putting themselves out there and think he's unlikely going to play -- to me that's even worse as for the thinking behind this.   And as usual, Jay has to take the lead on dealing with all the dicey stuff publicly.    

I get the point made by some of hey what's another PR hit and they'd recover from it, etc.  Strictly in that sense I agree with that.  However, I think for me part of my pride on being a fan is the 80s teams -- we were the classy-competent team back then.   They weren't angels but the Redskins weren't the bad guy team.   Those were teams like the Raiders, the Falcons and other teams who took their turn as the bad guys.   They weren't perfect, Dexter had his issues among others but it was still an organization mostly characterized as one that usually operates with class and competence. 

I get that's dissipated over the years but tough for me to go full blown in the other direction where its one log after another.  And I don't mean it with that much drama.  I don't live and die with a team's image but the high character high class vibe about the organization when I became a fan -- added a little zest to me.  Maybe that was overplayed at the time because of Gibbs being such a larger than life figure.  Still it just felt differently then versus now.  I miss that some. 

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

But how can you count on the guy? What has he EVER DONE to show that you can rely on him. Absolutely nothing. I am scratching my head over this decision.

Its hard to disagree with that based on what's out there in the public domain.

For me, the organisation loved him at the time of the draft. It was reported we wanted to trade back up for him, but the 49ers beat us to it.

We are probably able to access some detailed background on him from the recently drafted Alabama team mates. That is by no means grounds to set all concerns aside, but I suspect we still have a curiosity about what is really going on with Reuben Foster.

We will now find out first hand. I reckon it will soon become apparent within the organisation as to what we have on our hands.  

I'm all in favour of people taking the moral high ground on matters outside of football. Is right now the time to judge that? I guess you can if you believe everything you read as it is presented.

Initially I see this as a calculated risk. I don't care about the short term bad press. We are mostly hated anyway. There will come a time in the not too distant future whereby the FO will be able to make a more informaned decision. Whether we have the people in post to do that is another matter...However, I think that is a more appropriate time to judge the overall situation/move.

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Another thing to consider:

Is it really the best environment for him to be in considering we have our own current players refer to practices as "a joke" and how it isn't a secret that Gruden isn't tough on his players?

Have his work ethic or practice habits ever been questioned?

I will say this much...nobody in the media will ever take a 'wait-and-see' approach towards anything associated with Snyder or Allen. We saw that with Scot, and then we saw pretty much everyone in the local media who blasted the firing as being nothing more than Allen's ego at work start to backtrack later on and admit that Scot needed to be terminated.

With the accuser's history--and it's a ****ing doozy--a "wait-and-see" approach should absolutely be taken in this circumstance. And from how I'm understanding it (and I could be wrong), the Redskins have basically claimed the rights to Foster's future in the NFL, should he still have one. There are legitimate reasons to believe he very well may have one, considering his accuser has seriously ****ed over the legal system with DV charges more than once in the past, and against more boyfriends than just Foster. So outside of bad press (which the Skins don't really seem that shaken by, which is refreshing in my eyes lol), this move won't cost them much. I'm curious what the response will be if it turns out that there isn't enough evidence to take him to court for DV--or if there IS evidence that this latest DV charge is bull**** like the last DV charge was--how the local press will react. Will they walk it back like the Scot firing, admitting that, ok, Foster didn't do anything that should have kept any team from claiming him but it was still a sign of just how dysfunctional the Skins are for doing something that--as it turns out--every team would have been ok doing lol...

I'm also curious as to who was for and who was against the claim, and why. It's easy to just say "He's an abuser, that's why" but it could be numerous other reasons...team chemistry, scheme fit, prefer the ILBs we currently have, too much of a distraction, etc. To me anyway, if, say, Manusky was "Get this guy in here pronto" while Gruden was "Nah, too much of a distraction", that says something different than Gruden saying "Get this guy in herre pronto" and Manusky saying "Nah, we don't need him."

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

My concern would be that Foster gets himself in some trouble again after we release Brown and then we're really sunk if he's suspended for any extended period of time. 

I am somewhat optimistic in Vigel/Hamilton

47 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Is it really the best environment for him to be in considering we have our own current players refer to practices as "a joke" and how it isn't a secret that Gruden isn't tough on his players?

Where have players referred to practice as a joke?

20 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I will say this much...nobody in the media will ever take a 'wait-and-see' approach towards anything associated with Snyder or Allen. We saw that with Scot, and then we saw pretty much everyone in the local media who blasted the firing as being nothing more than Allen's ego at work start to backtrack later on and admit that Scot needed to be terminated.

106.7 who broke the story --from the get go and it was Russell and Paulsen working the story together who said that Scot did plenty to warrant the firing.  You are thinking of purely the WP.  But 106.7 broke it first from what I recall.    Maybe some fans condemned Bruce right away.  But I defended him pretty early in that process because of the 106.7 story.  Russell was hinting at it for weeks on his shows before the story broke out in full. 

To me this case is apples to oranges to that.  It's the Redskins decision to inherit this potential problem to me that is the story and what message this sends or not as opposed to whether he's innocent or guilty.  How the heck would the Redskins know if he was guilty or innocent?  The question to me isn't that. 

It's taking this player on 3 days after the incident WITHOUT knowing what happened and what message does that send or not send? 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't know that Brown has been some monumental mistake... I do know that i don't really want to pay him $9+ mil for 2020 so I guess if this thing shakes out with Foster and he can take over for the future, then why wait.  My concern would be that Foster gets himself in some trouble again after we release Brown and then we're really sunk if he's suspended for any extended period of time.  

Whatever happens with Foster I don't think there is anyway Brown is back here next year on that contract. Its either restructured (with an actual pay cut not moving dollars around) or far more likely he is released. We save about $5M on teh cap by releasing him IIRC.

I have more hope that Hamilton can step up and play a much bigger role than Foster being available.

55 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Have his work ethic or practice habits ever been questioned?

Not to my knowledge.  But it's more or less the culture that's been fostered under Gruden (Swearinger has constantly brought this up, as well as Chris Russell on 106.7) that concerns me.  

17 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Where have players referred to practice as a joke?

DJ Swearinger.

When we have our walk-throughs on Saturdays, I feel like it’s a joke, to me — with the amount of focus that we have, with the amount of playing that we have, the amount of lack of discipline that we have on those Saturdays and Fridays, on days where I feel like we should be tuned in. That’s where those comments come in.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/27/d-j-swearinger-blasts-washingtons-practice-habits/

For those hanging their hat on "his ex gf recanted her story"  Did you actually read her recanting/explanation? She claimed two woman did it, on Pier 39, of all places. One of the most touristy spots in the country.  As in, beat her up so bad it ruptured her ear drum.  I mean......come on now.

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Somehow I don't think this move is made if Smith didn't suffer that injury.

That injury is catastrophic, let's be real. To allocate potentially 10% of the cap to a guy not taking the field=no bueno.

So what's that mean? Take chances on cheap talent. Low risk high reward chances. If Foster is cleared, or it comes out it was less serious than reported or what have you, you now have a defensive centerpiece on a rookie contract.

IF he is tried legally and it comes out that he did something that malicious, cut him. You didn't lose anything really, except you created some bad PR which we all know we already have in spades. It's simple as that in my opinion.

Going back to this, if I had to pick an alternate theory it would play off of this.

Lets say they indeed know this issue doesn't look hot.   They understand the points made here.  But they are desperate.  Maybe even Dan is mad and in a panic about the implications of Alex's injury/cap hit for years going forward.  Heck there is even a chance if Colt meets certain triggers in his contract that they end up in essence paying close enough to the same 28 million for one QB to play next season and in this case its Colt.  This being after perhaps Bruce explaining to Dan paying that much for a QB is prohibitive to team building.  And that's without even delving into what if Colt plays poorly?  Who plays QB, then?  And if they draft a QB, they'd likely do it early versus upgrading another position.  The irony is a bit wild and perhaps Dan is angry and anxious about it.   Some who cover the team characterize the Alex injury as a game changer for this organization moving forward and not in a good way.

There could be some serious tension in that FO where they are desperate for some creative solutions to their cap issues.  Does that justify this for me.  Not the way they are doing it.  But I can see a desperate mindset.  We can talk all day long about how creative we can work around the cap hit from Alex -- but is Dan really satisfied with that -- hey Dan we can release all these players and make it work -- and Dan goes, yes, loving it, who else can we cut!   If I am working in that FO especially trying to save my job, I'd offer some "creative" solutions.   But yeah to me Zach, Vernon, Norman seem to be likely slam dunk cuts now.   Norman seemed obvious before but others seem on the chopping block in an obvious way, too. 

19 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm sure they spoke with him and did the due dillagance.  If they think he can stay out of trouble from here on out, then I'm all for getting a former first round pick for next to nothing.  Especially with such a big game coming up.

Looks like I made an assumption and was way, way wrong

Eagles, not Redskins, only NFL team to contact police about latest arrest of Reuben Foster

Only one NFL team made inquiries into the police department responsible for Saturday's arrest of linebacker Reuben Foster — and it wasn't Washington Redskins, the team that claimed him off of waivers on Tuesday.

The Philadelphia Eagles were the lone team that contacted the Tampa Police Department for details about Foster's misdemeanor domestic battery arrest that led to his release from the San Francisco 49ers, a person with knowledge of the inquiry told USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity due to the nature of the discussions.

If that is too much text, sorry in advance mods

14 hours ago, kleese said:

if every employer takes the same approach and no one opens the door, then Rueben Foster is then unable to obtain employment which then likely makes it difficult for him to ever rebound and contribute something positive to society.  

Also... real talk here... Reuben foster's Wonderlic was 9.  He has major problems with self-control and bad decision making (taking back a woman who has already accused you of DV, cmon man).  If Rueben Foster is ever going to contribute meaningfully to society, it is going to be in the NFL. Otherwise, his best case scenario is menial labor, and his worst case is prison.

So I support giving him every chance possible to get his **** together so he can have an NFL career, unless/until we get to the point where the consequences of his actions make it impossible to keep him. 

I'm really curious where Doug Williams came down on this deal.  The rumors are he was against it, but we don't know that yet.

40 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

This.  I just need the Redskins to win 7 games this season so I make $100.

Patrick? Is that you?

Archived