Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree, but with a caveat...

If he is found guilty and the Skins don't immediately release him, then the message is sent that they favor football ability over character and that shows nothing has changed in 20 years at Redskins Park and is embarrassing for any alumni, player, coach, employee and fan. Complete embarrassment. 

Personally, I believe the media will run with this and crush the Skins... not because they should, but because its controversy and people will eat it up and make this a larger issue that it needs to be at this point.

The Redskins are NOT condoning his alleged accusations. 

Having said that, where I do somewhat agree with you... is the Skins hopefully understood this reaction was coming. They'd be really, really stupid not to expect this.

I disagree with multiple points you've made on this thread.   But to each their own on that front.  Different strokes...   😀

To the PR part of this we are closer to agreement in opinion.   My difference with you on this front is I think the PR hit is deserved.  I get that the media will overreact to emotional discussion type issues like this.  But the Redskins IMO pushed the boundaries on it.  They could have done this might lighter IMO.   

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The dude flipped out at hospital workers when he was getting his physical before the combine and had to be kicked out of the combine.    He failed his drug test at the combine then was arrested for marijuana possession in 2018.

Lets say the domestic violence issue is pure smoke.   Looks like the dude at the very least might have some anger, impulse and drug issues.  Saban who usually gushes about his players when asked said during Foster's draft year more or less made a statement which I took that involves keeping the dude's emotions in check and he needs to be monitored.  

I get the innocent before proven guilty stuff.  But the Redskins took him before the investigation and according to one report they didn't call the Tampa police to get their take -- the Eagles did.   But again if the Redskins want to take on the PR backlash of all of this -- and feel its worth it.  That's their business decision.  My point is I think they could have made a similar move without the PR backlash by waiting.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/27/reuben-foster-washington-redskins-domestic-violence-allegations-arrest

“I think it’s important that he has people around him who will provide him good direction, have good experience and the ability to anticipate what’s happening, so you don’t get these emotional responses to things that are insignificant,” Saban said at the time. 

I agree he has issues, but he is being crucified over domestic Violence not the other things.  Still my question is how does someone with a history of lying about domestic Violence, even went to jail for it, continued to lie against someone else and she doesn't get arrested again?

To make it crystal clear: I don't support this move. When I heard Foster was released, I never once thought, "damn, let's go get the guy!". It didn't even cross my mind. But I am a proponent of letting the process play out on thins as well.

I agree with whoever said earlier that it would have been a better move to wait until the process played out and he was found not guilty to go after him. The Redskins took a very significant public relations risk on this. So I really hope they took a deep dive into this investigation before pulling the trigger on it.

I do support the way they are playing it, now, that they made the move. But it is quite the unnecessary uphill battle. And if Foster turns out to be guilty they drew all of this attention to themselves for... well... a scum bag.

It works if he's innocent. But the risk is high.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I disagree with multiple points you've made on this thread.   But to each their own on that front.  Different strokes...   😀

To the PR part of this we are closer to agreement in opinion.   My difference with you on this front is I think the PR hit is deserved.  I get that the media will overreact to emotional discussion type issues like this.  But the Redskins IMO pushed the boundaries on it.  They could have done this might lighter IMO.   

I think we're closer to agreeing on that than our responses indicate.

Out of curiosity, though, what do you disagree with? Again, to make it clear and plain as day: I do not in the least support a human being who hits a woman. I'm hoping THAT part isn't in question.

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

No, the VP of Player Personnel is Doug Williams.  This statement is attributed to Doug Willams.  This idiotic front office can't even spell his name right on a statement.  

:ols: :ols: :ols:

I didn't even see that. That's hilariously awful.

Good catch.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sometimes, after a night the food settles and you feel better about the bad meal someone cooked for you last night. Other times...

i think I feel worse about this waiver pick up today than yesterday. 

Me too.  At first I had mixed emotions because I love Foster "the player".  My position though was I didn't like it -- digesting what I could about it.   Sleeping on it, feels worse.  I think their PR hit is deserved.   And it also feels unnecessary.  I think they could have gotten their guy if he's proven innocent without taking it on the chin like is happening right now.

I'd love to know the split in that front office.  All we seem to know now is that Bruce was in favor according to the WP.

I just want to say that, from a morality standpoint, I absolutely do not care about a misdemeanor marijuana charge...especially from any form of Alabama law enforcement.  Furthermore, as I understand, the weapons charge was for an unregistered shotgun found in his house in the course of the original, dismissed abuse investigation.  So, that doesn’t move the needle for me in any way either.

The multiple abuse allegations are obviously troubling.  Let justice be done.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My bottom line is I would have not risked it.  I know they love the player.  I love the way he plays myself.  But the risk I'd take wasn't the one they did.  The risk I'd take is to let the process play out and if the dude is innocent, chase him then and assume the Alabama players would lure him in that case.  IMO, taking him now before the process is vetted sends a bad message. 

I don't see any risk to the move.  Maybe this becomes an issue if the guy actually sticks around and becomes an important player for us.  But at that point, he'll be playing good football and no one will care.

The PR hit is bad - there will be a backlash - i do get that - we are paying someone - who not for the first time is facing domestic abuse charges... But i think the tarring and feathering should wait until we see (a) what he does next and (b) if these charges actually do have substance. 

There is a hypocrisy here as well - If we wait until the process has gone through the courts and the NFL and the charges are dropped (as they often are - just in general in DV cases) then why is it okay to give a guy millions (which it would be) to someone who was 'accused of domestic violence' rather than someone who was convicted ? If you are in a position to be accused of DV then there is something wrong in the first place 

The other thing I would say is the fact the Eagles were the only team to contact Tampa Police about the incident is something of a red herring as I have a feeling all they would have got would have been a standard - ongoing investigation spiel - 

So where is the balance - should a players career be over the very hint of off-field issues? Or is it okay just so long as they don't get caught -  if they/the team hire enough lawyers PR people to hush it all up?  

I see why they have done it - from a football point of view it makes some sense - and I think there is a stability and environment ( with ALL the Alabama players on the roster) that can work -   the PR backlash will be bad until the next big story drops - the main issue is what they do if he is found guilty or takes a plea ?  

3 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

If you are in a position to be accused of DV then there is something wrong in the first place 

Maybe. Or maybe someone wants a pay day. It really could be either/or. It's why the process needs to play out. There are all sorts of screwed up people in all areas of life. Some are more malicious than others. Foster COULD be one. But he also may NOT.

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I just want to say that, from a morality standpoint, I absolutely do not care about a misdemeanor marijuana charge...especially from any form of Alabama law enforcement.  Furthermore, as I understand, the weapons charge was for an unregistered shotgun found in his house in the course of the original, dismissed abuse investigation.  So, that doesn’t move the needle for me in any way either.

The multiple abuse allegations are obviously troubling.  Let justice be done.

It’s not about the weed or the gun, it’s about regularly choosing to put himself in situations to get in trouble for them.  Add to that the domestic violence allegations that are easily avoidable if you cease all contact after the first set.  But no, he has the same woman with him in Tampa, at the team hotel, involved in some type of ordeal that led to the second set.   Whether he hit her or not, he’s a mental midget.  

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not about the weed or the gun, it’s about regularly choosing to put himself in situations to get in trouble for them.  Add to that the domestic violence allegations that are easily avoidable if you cease all contact after the first set.  But no, he has the same woman with him in Tampa, at the team hotel, involved in some type of ordeal that led to the second set.   Whether he hit her or not, he’s a mental midget.  

Maybe she followed/tailed him to the team hotel.  You think all these players are bringing their gfs/wives on the road to the Tampa game?!?

It should be clear to anyone that this young lady has just as many “issues” as RF...if not more.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

From a business perspective I'm in complete agreement with this move.

You asked me where we disagree. It's in a few places if I read your point correctly. And if I didn't get it right let me know.  I'll start with this I disagree with this part unless by business you mean on the football field.  Football wise its brilliant.  From a business stand point, Lafemina admitted that he knows he has to reestablish the organization as one that's classy.  They've taken some hits on the front over the years -- I don't think a fresh new hit was good to that bottom line.  That signing i noticed also brought attention to some of their other recent signings -- frankly I didn't even think of that at the time.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

While I think men who hit women are low life scum, we don't know if that happened or not. In a world of false accusations (and true ones!) we have to let the process play out before passing judgement. Too many people judge based on accusations, and even if the party is found innocent their name is tarnished due to the stigma. On the same note, caution should be exercised when dealing with someone who has these kinds of allegations out about him.

Agree with the point but IMO its irrelevant to this because we all know the Redskins position had nothing to do with making a statement about our criminal justice system.  They wanted to cut in front of the line to get Foster in case he's innocent.    Grabbing him so fresh from the incident IMO is a big part of the PR hit they are taking.   It's part of the reason why the Tampa police saying the Eagles checking in with them about the story and the Redskins didn't -- is become part of the narrative. 

I'd love to know who within that FO disagreed with the move because I've now read from three sources it wasn't a unanimous decision. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think the Redskins are playing this one correctly. Sign him.

This is where I disagree the strongest.  Let the process play out see what happens.  He was just in jail a few days ago.  At the very least he has a history of behavioral issues.   This isn't just some random incident out of nowhere with the dude.  In other words, the possibility that he might be guilty isn't that wild in theory.  So why not let the NFL/criminal justice system investigate and if they deemed it all fine -- the PR hit would be much smaller IMO and I'd add it would feel better to some people who think the Redskins aren't that moved about domestic violence if its a football player that's very talented.  Can they survive the PR hit long term?  Sure.  But why keep piling logs in the fire? 

The nicest spin I could give to this is some in that FO were salivating over Foster the player and were looking for some validation to do it so they called his buddies (if I recall Anderson was the closest to him among the Redskins) and they said yeah sure we know Reuben we can help get him on the straight and narrow.  Bruce then goes hey everyone loves Doug so lets have Doug explain it along with condemning the crime and we cover all basis.  It's a plan....

well he definitely looks like a ****show, however the woman involved has previously admitted to fabricating similar charges to extort money from another man, and has testified as such in court. 

He either comes out of his trial smelling like roses or its embarassing. I'm very used to the Skins being embarassing at this point though

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Maybe she followed/tailed him to the team hotel.  You think all these players are bringing their gfs/wives on the road to the Tampa game?!?

It should be clear to anyone that this young lady has just as many “issues” as RF...if not more.

Perhaps the Redskins would know the answers to that if they inquired further than asking his college buddies about bringing him in.

Also, I’m not sure how anything about it is clear.  Perhaps her issues stem from her relationship with Foster?  The only thing clear is that Foster finds trouble for himself.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps the Redskins would know the answers to that if they inquired further than asking his college buddies about bringing him in.

Also, I’m not sure how anything about it is clear.  Perhaps her issues stem from her relationship with Foster?  The only thing clear is that Foster finds trouble for himself.

Honestly, it’s not gonna be hard to get to the bottom of this.  Pretty much every part of the hotel is under video surveillance and there should be no shortage of witnesses to the incident.

I would recommend that taking this particular woman’s claims at face value is fairly short-sighted.

I will say this, if Rueben get through this but still decides to spend every offseason rolling through Alabama with weed in his car...well, that’s a problem.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think that is clear. Even if he isn’t actually hitting a woman, he clearly has issues and is a risk. Regular, normal dudes don’t just totally randomly start getting accused of things out of the clear blue— or if that happens it is very rare. What is possible is that he is highly emotional and immature and can’t handle a relationship or know when to walk away. So he then puts himself in a really bad position where he can potentially be accused of something by someone equally volatiale/troubled. I think it is clear that AT BEST Foster has legitimate and serious issues and needs some guidance/help. 

But this is also a football team here; and like many teams across the league, the decision is often made to bring in someone with red flags because you think their job-skills can make you better. Again, Tyreke Hill is an excellent example. If you aren’t familiar with his past I would suggest you google it. Chiefs had all of that info and they were the ones that chose to take him on. That has worked out quite well for them as he’s been a wizard on the field and as far as I know hasn’t been a problem off of it. You take calculated risks... sometimes you might decide to bring a guy that you wouldn’t want taking your daughter out, but wouldn’t mind having him play LB for you. This is the reality. 

Really not a fan of this. We didn't even bother checking with the police, we just talked to his buddies. Sorry, but like you're going to get a straight answer from friends?

He's a good young player, in a position we need that at, I get it. I don't get signing a guy that can't handle himself at best, or at worse, beats people because he can't handle himself like an adult.

The fact of the matter is he has issues, and to think it's all going to go away because he's with his boys is naive. This was done poorly, obviously due diligence was not done, and this has disaster written all over it.

So, can we finally fire Brucey? He's destroying the Redskins name.

16 minutes ago, kleese said:

Regular, normal dudes don’t just totally randomly start getting accused of things out of the clear blue— or if that happens it is very rare. 

I don't think we live on the same Earth. Regular normal people, not just dudes, are accurately and falsely accused of things all the time. It's not all that rare. I worked at a bar for ten years and some of the things I saw people accusing others of, both true and false, are crazy. And I'm not talking small, innocuous stuff. Some of the stuff that was being alleged was fairly big for the parties involved.

What I will say in defense of your point... Is that, from a guy perspective, you may be roped into a situation that you believed to be totally on the up and up... And you wouldn't think someone was capable of something, even if there were red flags, such as totally false allegations... But then that person turns out to be a bit different than you thought they were in the end. Ultimately, that falls on your shoulders for being a poor judge of character. But it doesn't mean that you aren't a normal person in the real world. You made a poor choice with positive intentions.

For giggles, how is he as a player? 

I appreciate he was a first round pick, but was he good enough in SF to go through with absorbing this hassle?

But I dont think the Redskins are unique here in signing a player like this.  It's just a high profile situation.  Every team will have a guy like this at some point.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The same guys that have spent the entire season, and past several seasons, absolutely trashing the team and front office at every opportunity are now deeply concerned about the PR effect of this roster move.

Savor the irony.

We’ve been trashing them for a lot of things, poor PR being one of them.  So I’m failing to see the irony.  We’ve been deeply concerned way before this.

It’s also not surprising that you like this move and continue to convince yourself all is swell here.

Honestly hard to get too worked up about this right now.

The FO has decided to take a flyer on getting a potential pro bowl player at a need position. Everyone is talking about what an awful look this is from a PR standpoint but if you haven't noticed this team is already a laughing stock to the national media, so it isn't exactly like this move damages their sterling reputation. This will go through a news cycle, everyone will have their hot take, and then most everyone will forget about it until the facts come out and the NFL makes a determination on his status. Everyone remember Cincy and Mixon? That worked out pretty well for them.

Can the guy play professional football? Apparently yes, and potentially at an elite level.

Are there warning flags? Absolutely. But how about letting the truth come out before making a determination. If you say you know what the truth is you are lying.

And before anyone @'s me for being an apologist or something for domestic violence just don't. If what is alleged is true I will be the first to say he should be cut.

Archived