Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Why?  If he's guilty you take the suspension, give him a chance to flourish and see what happens after that.  The bottom line is that Reuben is a phenomenal athlete and that alone warrants another chance....Josh Gordon is the perfect example.  But I doubt Reuben goes through half of what Gordon went through.

I don’t think the general public considers domestic violence to be on the same plane as drug abuse, especially with the whole me too movement thing. 

If he is is found guilty he will get cut, mainly for the bad publicity that will hurt the franchise’s bottom dollar. And that is what matters to Snyder. If he can get away with keeping Foster and make money you can bet he sure will try. 

Foster is a baller and is def someone worth keeping in hopes he turns it around.

Here is one question I have for everyone. If Rueben Foster doesn’t deserve to be employed by an NFL team, then does he deserve to be employed at all? 

I mean, from a moral standpoint it shouldn’t matter if it’s the Redskins or UPS or Wal Mart or your local gas station. Are you saying it’s not OK for an NFL team to employe someone accused of domestic abuse but it is OK for 7-11? Is that person any more or less of a threat working at Target as opposed to playing football? 

Point being, he’s not in jail, he hasn’t been convicted. Clearly, he has troubles. Clearly, he needs guidance, perhaps even on a professional/counseling level. But do these allegations then mean that he should not be abllowed to earn a living? Or should he just not be allowed

to earn a GOOD living? 

I dont blame any team or other business from passing on his services. I totally get it. I own my own business and currently have about 50 employees and I would tread lightly as well. But I also won’t condemn a business that does give someone a chance. Because if from here on out, everyone turns their back on Foster and no one ever extends him an opportunity to work, then I’m not sure if that will ultimately be doing more good than harm. 

1 minute ago, kleese said:

I mean, from a moral standpoint it shouldn’t matter if it’s the Redskins or UPS or Wal Mart or your local gas station. Are you saying it’s not OK for an NFL team to employe someone accused of domestic abuse but it is OK for 7-11? Is that person any more or less of a threat working at Target as opposed to playing football? 

2 things:

-Depends on whether or not those employers have a code of conduct outside of work like the NFL does.

-Those companies aren't paying their employees millions of dollars to be representatives of their brand.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

2 things:

-Depends on whether or not those employers have a code of conduct outside of work like the NFL does.

-Those companies aren't paying their employees millions of dollars to be representatives of their brand.

The money shouldn’t matter when we are talking about moral stances. Let’s say the Redskins worked a deal where they could pay him below league minimum— let’s say they paid him $15/hour as opposed to seven figures...

would that change your opinion on them signing him? 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Here is one question I have for everyone. If Rueben Foster doesn’t deserve to be employed by an NFL team, then does he deserve to be employed at all? 

Point being, he’s not in jail, he hasn’t been convicted. Clearly, he has troubles. Clearly, he needs guidance, perhaps even on a professional/counseling level. But do these allegations then mean that he should not be abllowed to earn a living? Or should he just not be allowed

to earn a GOOD living? 

I dont blame any team or other business from passing on his services. I totally get it. I own my own business and currently have about 50 employees and I would tread lightly as well. But I also won’t condemn a business that does give someone a chance. Because if from here on out, everyone turns their back on Foster and no one ever extends him an opportunity to work, then I’m not sure if that will ultimately be doing more good than harm. 

Zero Tolerance always sounds good in practice but never looks good in practice.  When we prevent felons from integrating back into society, we typically see them go back to what made them felons to begin with.  

If Foster is convicted of domestic abuse, NFL shouldn't have to bend over backwards to keep him in the league.  They do need to get these players help sooner instead of continuing to be reactionary on the fact these guys are paid to hurt people for a living and getting CTE left and right.

NFL has an image problem, when you walk into a 7-11, you have no idea that the cat behind the register has a couple strikes, but an NFL player in this 24/7 news cycle, unavoidable.

8 minutes ago, kleese said:

to earn a GOOD living? 

My opinion is yes he can be employable. He can get a job anywhere that will take him. I just think skins shouldnt have been the ones. Everyone deserves chances, especially if you are moving forward. Just his actions say he wasnt on top of everything, in press conference there was apparently 2 other times... It would seem he keeps making same mistake over and over.

Edit: And I would say at 24 I made a lot of mistakes with girls, not like him, but keep going back to the same damn broken relationship was one.

@kleese, I'm not sure I subscribe to this idea, but I think the idea is that being a professional athlete is a privilege--it comes with fame, fortune, and a spotlight that means teams don't need to employ someone who hurts them PR-wise. Not being fit for this line of work due to off-field issues doesn't mean you can never work again--in the same way that being a convicted felon limits your employment options for many reasons but doesn't necessarily leave you unemployable. Certain things disqualify you or make you a liability for a business. 

Again, I'm not sure exactly where I come down on this issue, personally. It is nuanced and this explanation is not. But I think what I typed above accurately reflects the argument others would make. It's an issue for the Tailgate but I don't necessarily like that what I typed about felons is universally true, either. 

I think if you check some of the players that were cut by their teams for problems and picked up by other teams you would be surprised. How did the Steelers get Jerome Bettis? The Raiders of the 70's were noted for picking up problem players from other teams that did not want the headache of dealing with them and those Raiders won a ton of games and a few Super Bowls. Not every NFL player can be a Tom Brady type and maybe this kid will grow up with some guidance. It is worth the risk. Cheers.

37 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Shanahan talking to media about decision to cut him  Definitely worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzF8C_sSex8

Interesting watch, Kyle spoke well on it.  Aside from the signing itself -- seeing Kyle having to answer here for it  -- this is likely going to be a subject all week that Jay will have to discuss and with the national spotlight enhanced with a MNF game on the way.   They've walked themselves into a self imposed circus right before arguably the game of the year on MNF.   I've already caught multiple national stories blasting them for this, and i gather more are on the way.  

41 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

didn't Galette beat some woman with a belt?

I thought someone else recently had issues. I thought it was swearinger but I couldn’t find anything on google so I gave up. 

I don’t know enough about this guy to even guess whether he’s falsely accused or not. But sometimes you read a story and think - this doesn’t sounds right. 

From a very basic view im supposed to believe this dude didn’t hit this chick the first time, and that after surviving being falsely accused kept hanging out with her? And again he did not hit her and again is being falsely accused?

The simplier answer is he hit her both times and she recanted because of the issues abused spouses have. I tend to favor simple answers over conspiracies. 

42 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Shanahan talking to media about decision to cut him  Definitely worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzF8C_sSex8

Good insight by Kyle....a little stressful to think about all the work that has gone into trying to get Reuben on the straight and narrow.  I was initially very excited that we got him and I am still pretty excited about the signing but man, this is going to be a long and stressful ride.  I hope our bama boys can babysit him or room with him.  He's going to be a handful

20 minutes ago, kleese said:

The money shouldn’t matter when we are talking about moral stances. Let’s say the Redskins worked a deal where they could pay him below league minimum— let’s say they paid him $15/hour as opposed to seven figures...

would that change your opinion on them signing him? 

We are also forgetting that this is 72 hours after he was arrested for DV.  Would an employer hire someone who admitted to being arrested 72 hours prior to a job interview?  Doubt it.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Well I'm not going to believe this because Howie Roseman came out and denied it.  And so did Pederson.  And their VP of player personnel:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/howie-roseman-denies-reports-derrius-guice-altercation-eagles

So, why did he drop? Why did we pass on him in round 2? You say a guy has no baggage, but these teams do background checks on these prospects that go deep into their childhood, things that won’t ever be released. If he’s a massive talent that many considered one of the top 10 in the draft, why would he fall if all that existed was something you believe is nonsense?

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

We are also forgetting that this is 72 hours after he was arrested for DV.  Would an employer hire someone who admitted to being arrested 72 hours prior to a job interview?  Doubt it.

Would most interviews have this kind of insight into someones life?

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

So, why did he drop? Why did we pass on him in round 2? You say a guy has no baggage, but these teams do background checks on these prospects that go deep into their childhood, things that won’t ever be released. If he’s a massive talent that many considered one of the top 10 in the draft, why would he fall if all that existed was something you believe is nonsense?

We took him in the 2nd.  The "baggage" could have been nothing more than concerns over his injured leg in his junior season in college.

2 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Would most interviews have this kind of insight into someones life?

Wouldn't this potential employee have to be upfront with a potential employer knowing that this person may or may not miss time due to legal issues?

13 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

No you don't, every man deserves a 2nd chance. Surround him with the right people and mentors, and let him grow into a good man and great player.

C'mon man, you're not just given a 2nd chance because. Its not a reward. 

Have to earn one first, do your time, restitution, etc. 

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

We took him in the 2nd.  The "baggage" could have been nothing more than concerns over his injured leg in his junior season in college.

After we elected to pass on him in the 2nd. This phenomenal talent falls to us in round 2, the ES community holds its collective breath, & Washington trades the pick after Detroit moved ahead of us to grab Auburn RB K. Johnson. Not only did no one trade up to get this phenom, but we bailed on him in round 2, and he fell in our lap... again. Quite a fall for someone with so much talent and no baggage. 

38 minutes ago, kleese said:

But I also won’t condemn a business that does give someone a chance. 

Is picking him up off waivers when he was cut immediately following the incidence giving him a chance?

I don’t think so. But that’s just me. 

As for your question about being employed anywhere... I get your point and I agree to the underlying logic, but ultimately the simple truth is that yes being an NFL Star is different than being a ups driver. He trades on his reputation, his stardom is a that. He gets paid incredibly well in an entertainment business. 

Ultimayely the consumers drive decisions (when they want...) and domestic violence is a line for many consumers (just like racism, things involving children, etc) and of your a star you are subject to the public’s backlash. 

If an article came out blasting the ups for hiring and covering for domestic abusers there would be a public backlash against them and they’d have a business decision to make. 

Just to be clear I don’t think the guy needs to be punished for life unless he continues to do these things. 

Archived