Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking: Redskins claim Reuben Foster NFL.COM

Suffolk_Skins

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is what makes this even more maddening.  Even if criminal charges against him are dropped or he's cleared, the league is still probably going to suspend him for a minimum of 6 games.  Which ups the heat on the Skins to release him.  So why the hell claim him in the first place? 

To call dibs on him.  We don't know if he'll be suspended or for how long.  If it's long we probably cut him and move on without having invested anything in him, if it's not we'll keep him.  There is no actual risk in claiming him.

9 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

I'm afraid '2nd chance' is barely a dot in the Reuben's rear view mirror.

Getting tossed out of the draft combine is a classic.  Three arrests this year.  Sorry, but I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Damn, didn't know it's a 5th chance lol.

9 hours ago, PotomacGator said:

2nd chance? LOL. You think this is just the second? Are you stupid? Or just dumb?

Oh, my bad Einstein.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's not like any team in this league will turn down talent with a criminal history.

They did this time.  In fact, only one team even inquired further with Tampa Police, that team is the Eagles, who didn’t bother proceeding further.

The whole Alabama connection thing sounds nice and all, but I don’t think Daron Payne or Jon Allen plan on babysitting him 24 hours a day.

If I’m Jay Gruden, I also don’t want to answer a bunch of domestic violence questions for a dude who probably never plays a snap for me.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They did this time.  In fact, only one team even inquired further with Tampa Police, that team is the Eagles, who didn’t bother proceeding further.

The whole Alabama connection thing sounds nice and all, but I don’t think Daron Payne or Jon Allen plan on babysitting him 24 hours a day.

If I’m Jay Gruden, I also don’t want to answer a bunch of domestic violence questions for a dude who probably never plays a snap for me.

Besides everything else, seems disruptive to do this is in a middle of a division chase.  Jay is going to have to answer about this now.  they are about to play MNF on the national spotlight, this is going to be part of the story.  They just took over a baggage story from SF.   the whole thing seems bizarre, the more I think about it.

If they think the dude is going to be innocent, then let the process play out, then sign him.  They have all the Alabama guys which should be a lure over other teams in that context.  But to take him on with the baggage in the middle of the investigation is wild to me the more I digest it.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They've already got their message figured out.  "It's a chance at a job for Foster.  We'll see what happens."

I don't think this will end up being consequential.  Good or bad.  Foster's NFL days are numbered.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

They've already got their message figured out.  "It's a chance at a job for Foster.  We'll see what happens."

I don't think this will end up being consequential.  Good or bad.  Foster's NFL days are numbered.

I read the message.  That message doesn’t keep reporters at bay from asking endless questions to anyone they are allowed to put a mic in their face.  That alone is too consequential for me, particularly in the midst of a playoff hunt for a team already lumbering.  The timing of it to me seems totally not worth it.

18 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is what makes this even more maddening.  Even if criminal charges against him are dropped or he's cleared, the league is still probably going to suspend him for a minimum of 6 games.  Which ups the heat on the Skins to release him.  So why the hell claim him in the first place?

Few years ago we kept a guy, whose name escapes me, a FS on the roster while he was suspended by the Goodell. So We're used to have players that cannot play. We've been there before.

Dinlay said it was a smart football move, but a bad decision. I understand the smart in the football move, but there's really no way it can overcome that kind of bad decision.

Once again we're getting dumb and making stupid things... As SIP said, now Jay will have to deal with it during presser...

I would suggest Jay to give Bruce's personal number so he can answer questions directly.

We've bashed and joked the Cowboys for such kind of move, then we're going the same way? That really hurts. It's nearly a shame to be a Redskins' fan today. Had we done it like the Eagles to investigate to try to get a clue or insider info about it, I could deal with it. But we didn't. We just had "candid conversations" with some former teammates. Which equals bull**** here.

Don't know who made that call, but that guy should be soon to be fired for such a stupid PR move. Gets him into Tony Willie's office for a few so he can get an idea of the mess he just did here.

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I read the message.  That message doesn’t keep reporters at bay from asking endless questions to anyone they are allowed to put a mic in their face.  That alone is too consequential for me, particularly in the midst of a playoff hunt for a team already lumbering.  The timing of it to me seems totally not worth it.

The PR press release reminds me in a different way then the press release from the summer of 2017 and even the Scot stuff.   Wildly different subjects.  But they come up with their narrative that clearly they think is good and they way over estimated their ability to spin it and way IMO under estimated people's intelligence.

They've already taken a major PR hit for this.  You can tell on twitter and even here a chunk of fans don't like the message it sends.  So what do they have to lose?  For a team that has taken PR hits and has struggled to get fans in the stands -- taking another on the chin isn't what the doctor ordered.  Heck now I see posts from national reporters about Brantley (who had an incident), Peterson, Floyd -- and the Redskins are the team that doesn't care about character, etc. This seem to be the signing that broke the dam with some on that front. 

As for me personally, I don't like the signing.  If they did it AFTER the incident was looked into and he was cleared or did some type of rehab I'd be OK with it.  He's an incredible player so those saying hey what the heck, take a chance.  I get that if I am looking at it purely from a football stand point.  But as Kyle Shanahan said the dude shows a bad history of making bad decisions.  If we find out he's guilty and he couldn't contain himself from doing it at the team's hotel before a game -- it doesn't bode well I think for the future as for him keeping it together let alone what it says about his character.  But will see.

From a business perspective I'm in complete agreement with this move.

He is a significant upgrade at ILB and can be a fixture in the middle for awhile.

I'm also happy that the news says he won't play until a ruling is made in his case.

While I think men who hit women are low life scum, we don't know if that happened or not. In a world of false accusations (and true ones!) we have to let the process play out before passing judgement. Too many people judge based on accusations, and even if the party is found innocent their name is tarnished due to the stigma. On the same note, caution should be exercised when dealing with someone who has these kinds of allegations out about him.

I think the Redskins are playing this one correctly. Sign him. Worst case scenario is the guy is a true scum bag and guilty and the team cuts ties and he never plays a down with this football team. Best case scenario the Skins signed a guy who was wrongfully cut, who is a significant upgrade, and may want to call DC home due to them believing in him.

They need to continue to tread lightly with this move and say the right things. If he IS found guilty he needs to be removed immediately. If he isn't, we just got ourselves a stud inside backer.

To add: The guy is certainly a behavior risk. He's had his share of problems. But none of them made him untouchable prior to this news as the Niners kept him employed and I can guarantee others would have signed him. I am completely with most of you... if he is found guilty of these horrendous acts, the dude needs to be blackballed from the NFL for all time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/27/redskins-claim-reuben-foster-who-was-arrested-saturday-domestic-violence-charge-off-waivers/?utm_term=.b42799ab1739

Team decision-makers were said to be divided over whether to claim Foster. Redskins President Bruce Allen masterminded the decision to claim him, an NFL official with knowledge of the Redskins' deliberations said, adding that the front office was far from unanimous about the idea.

I’m going to go ahead and venture a guess that Brian LaFemina isn’t too happy about this.

For all the talk that if he’s guilty we just cut him, no big deal.  What about the fact that dude is stupid either way?  For putting himself in situations to derail his entire career on multiple occasions.  It’s safe to say that while he was born with talent, he severely lacks common sense.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For all the talk that if he’s guilty we just cut him, no big deal.  What about the fact that dude is stupid either way?  For putting himself in situations to derail his entire career on multiple occasions.  It’s safe to say that while he was born with talent, he severely lacks common sense.

That part isn't uncommon in the NFL. Making stupid decisions and being a ****ty person aren't necessarily one in the same. Although I will grant you that they usually go hand in hand.

Getting past the merits of the signing.    And just talking pure how this plays out regardless of our own emotions about this.   This sums it up well I think below from Maske who is typically pretty light on the organization.  From a pure football stand point its low risk, the dude is a beast.  From a PR stand point, they will take it on the chin.   And I will take the leap that this organization doesn't have a lot of good will as for being seeing as one that's about class.  You can see that in some of the national stories already about hey this is the Redskins this is how they roll.

I do think an underrated part of this story (and I just notice a tweet that it was brought up in Finlay's podcast last night so I should listen to it) is the distraction it poses.  Now all of a sudden the Redskins are front and center in this investigation and own the story really more than the 49ers.  I'd bet Jay will be answering question from local and national media.  The Alabama players here ditto.   The Brewer article I attach below the Maske one, gets into what they have to lose PR wise for a team not brimming already with good PR.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/27/redskins-claim-reuben-foster-who-was-arrested-saturday-domestic-violence-charge-off-waivers/?utm_term=.b42799ab1739

From a football perspective, claiming Foster is a low-risk move for the Redskins, who could wind up with a young, talented linebacker at a position currently filled with older players. But it is a much bigger risk from a public relations standpoint, especially on a team in which the wives of owner Daniel Snyder, President Bruce Allen and Coach Jay Gruden have publicly expressed support for charities that help women who are victims of domestic violence.

Criticism of the team’s decision to claim Foster was significant. Several prominent journalists attacked the move on social media, including ESPN’s Mina Kimes, who tweeted a statement from Snyder in 2014 that said the team “strongly endorses [Commissioner Roger Goodell’s] efforts to eradicate domestic violence” after Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was caught on videotape hitting his then-fiancee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/by-claiming-reuben-foster-the-redskins-show-theyre-numb-indifferent-and-reckless/2018/11/27/eaba76ce-f2b0-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.601d77467da2

The hidden costs are extreme, however: image, integrity, public trust. The Redskins are that franchise again. They don’t stand for anything. They knew this decision would get them roasted, which is why they quickly released a statement from Doug Williams, the senior vice president of player personnel, after the news broke. And they misspelled his last name, in all caps, on the release: WILLAMS. It only got worse from there.

...You can’t pretend to be righteous and still make this move. Don’t capitalize “burgundy” and “gold.” Don’t act like playing for this franchise means something special right now, because a man can be accused of slapping a woman with an open hand and then be welcomed to your team 72 hours later.

Washington may fully understand the severity of the allegations, but does it care about what allegedly happened? If it did, there is no way Foster would be associated with the team this soon. For the franchise, this is not about Foster’s guilt or innocence. The legal system will determine that. This is about the undeniable fact that there hasn’t been enough time to investigate Foster and his alleged misdeeds, and make an informed decision to take such an image-smearing risk.

...They really have gone too far now with their Alabama infatuation. It was fine to fix the defensive line and sprinkle in some winning character with some of Nick Saban’s finest. But the rotten are welcome, too? The statement attributed to Williams used the logic that, because Foster’s college buddies vouched for him, he’s worth taking a chance on. It doesn’t make any sense. It feels like a Bruce Allen special. As the team president, he has a track record of overseeing callous, illogical and destructive decision-making.

20 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Few years ago we kept a guy, whose name escapes me, a FS on the roster while he was suspended by the Goodell. So We're used to have players that cannot play. We've been there before.

Dinlay said it was a smart football move, but a bad decision. I understand the smart in the football move, but there's really no way it can overcome that kind of bad decision.

Once again we're getting dumb and making stupid things... As SIP said, now Jay will have to deal with it during presser...

I would suggest Jay to give Bruce's personal number so he can answer questions directly.

We've bashed and joked the Cowboys for such kind of move, then we're going the same way? That really hurts. It's nearly a shame to be a Redskins' fan today. Had we done it like the Eagles to investigate to try to get a clue or insider info about it, I could deal with it. But we didn't. We just had "candid conversations" with some former teammates. Which equals bull**** here.

Don't know who made that call, but that guy should be soon to be fired for such a stupid PR move. Gets him into Tony Willie's office for a few so he can get an idea of the mess he just did here.

I believe you are thinking of Tanard Jackson. Suspended indefinitely for substance abuse which turned out to be 1.5 yrs. He was reinstated, the Redskins cut him then signed him the next day - at a lower salary. Two months later he was again suspended indefinitely. 

Those saying everyone deserves a 2nd chance, this is not just a one and done thing here. This guy has spent most of his NFL career having run ins with the law - and some before. At the very least he has extremely poor judgement. At this point even if cleared of this particular accusation, based on his history it's seems likely he will be back in some kind of trouble again soon. 

I hope the guy gets some help. And I hope he can straighten things out. But why here? The Redskins have enough issues already without bringing another controversy to the team. 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They've already taken a major PR hit for this.  You can tell on twitter and even here a chunk of fans don't like the message it sends.  So what do they have to lose?  For a team that has taken PR hits and has struggled to get fans in the stands -- taking another on the chin isn't what the doctor ordered.  Heck now I see posts from national reporters about Brantley (who had an incident), Peterson, Floyd -- and the Redskins are the team that doesn't care about character, etc. This seem to be the signing that broke the dam with some on that front. 

Nobody is going to stop going to games, stop watching, or stop buying merch because we claimed a guy off waivers facing a domestic violence charge.  A guy who is probably never even going to play for us.

The PR hit will amount to absolutely nothing.  Jay having to regurgitate a canned response to the press conference questions is not a big deal.  We risked nothing by doing this.  The timing wasn't strange, it was putting in a waiver claim so we'd be able to have dibs on him.  People don't like the way it looks, but that's all this will come to.

Even if this kid sticks around and plays for us, if he's good, he'll sell tickets, not drive people away.

That article is one of the issues we have with society today. "Innocent until proven guilty" no longer matters. And that is a significant issue in society.

I agree that caution needs to be used. If this dude really is hitting women he is among the lowest form of scum on this planet and the guy should suffer just as he made his victims suffer.

If the Skins know more about this and they believe he's guilty but they're waiting to see what the league/legal folks think, then they are ****ty people as well. But if the team truly believes he is innocent, I support the way they are handling this move. I just hope they aren't making this move without looking into it and formulating a true opinion based on facts on the matter.

I understand the disdain for the move. I'm not a huge fan of it myself. But the way they are handling it, so far, is okay in my book. But again, if he is found guilty, the Redskins release news needs to follow that verdict by seconds. It needs to be immediate. There is no room for that kind of human in any organization.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nobody is going to stop going to games, stop watching, or stop buying merch because we claimed a guy off waivers facing a domestic violence charge.  A guy who is probably never even going to play for us.

The PR hit will amount to absolutely nothing.  Jay having to regurgitate a canned response to the press conference questions is not a big deal.  We risked nothing by doing this.  The timing wasn't strange, it was putting in a waiver claim so we'd be able to have dibs on him.  People don't like the way it looks, but that's all this will come to.

Even if this kid sticks around and plays for us, if he's good, he'll sell tickets, not drive people away.

The stadium isn't as full as it used to be, they are losing season ticket holders, their local TV ratings are down.  I get the point that regardless there will always be people going to games and watching on TV.  True.  But I don't think they are satisfied with that.  They hired Lafemina because of this attrition going on.   

Having said that, I don't think this alone is a deal breaker with anyone -- but I don't think the team is brimming with vibes of being one marked with class so to me this is another log in the fire on that count as opposed to being ignored with a yawn.  Will see though.  They got off to a rough start last night but maybe it will all go away fast.  It's possible.  

My bottom line is I would have not risked it.  I know they love the player.  I love the way he plays myself.  But the risk I'd take wasn't the one they did.  The risk I'd take is to let the process play out and if the dude is innocent, chase him then and assume the Alabama players would lure him in that case.  IMO, taking him now before the process is vetted sends a bad message.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO, taking him now before the process is vetted sends a bad message.

I disagree, but with a caveat...

If he is found guilty and the Skins don't immediately release him, then the message is sent that they favor football ability over character and that shows nothing has changed in 20 years at Redskins Park and is embarrassing for any alumni, player, coach, employee and fan. Complete embarrassment. 

Personally, I believe the media will run with this and crush the Skins... not because they should, but because its controversy and people will eat it up and make this a larger issue that it needs to be at this point.

The Redskins are NOT condoning his alleged accusations. 

Having said that, where I do somewhat agree with you... is the Skins hopefully understood this reaction was coming. They'd be really, really stupid not to expect this.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Who the hell is Doug Willams?

Is this a serious question? Can't tell. :ols:

6 minutes ago, dckey said:

Before we rush to judgement his 3 arrest are 1. Misdemeanor Marijuana

2. Domestic Violence (read article below)

3. Domestic Violence by the same woman above?

Why isn't she in jail after the first false accusation?  

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/17/reuben-foster-girlfriend-abuse/

The dude flipped out at hospital workers when he was getting his physical before the combine and had to be kicked out of the combine.    He failed his drug test at the combine then was arrested for marijuana possession in 2018.

Lets say the domestic violence issue is pure smoke.   Looks like the dude at the very least might have some anger, impulse and drug issues.  Saban who usually gushes about his players when asked said during Foster's draft year more or less made a statement which I took that involves keeping the dude's emotions in check and he needs to be monitored.  

I get the innocent before proven guilty stuff.  But the Redskins took him before the investigation and according to one report they didn't call the Tampa police to get their take -- the Eagles did.   But again if the Redskins want to take on the PR backlash of all of this -- and feel its worth it.  That's their business decision.  My point is I think they could have made a similar move without the PR backlash by waiting.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/27/reuben-foster-washington-redskins-domestic-violence-allegations-arrest

“I think it’s important that he has people around him who will provide him good direction, have good experience and the ability to anticipate what’s happening, so you don’t get these emotional responses to things that are insignificant,” Saban said at the time. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The risk I'd take is to let the process play out and if the dude is innocent, chase him then and assume the Alabama players would lure him in that case.  IMO, taking him now before the process is vetted sends a bad message.

This is what a smart organization would have done.  But...

Image result for bruce allen

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is this a serious question? Can't tell. :ols:

Yes.  I have no idea who Doug Willams is.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes.  I have no idea who Doug Willams is.

Still can't tell if serious or not. :ols:

But just in case... knowing that you can't possibly not know who he was as a player...

He's the VP of Player Personnel. So exactly the person who you'd want to make this kind of statement as he is one of the folks directly responsible for the players.

And on a personal level, I'd rather have this statement come from Doug Williams than Bruce Allen.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He's the VP of Player Personnel. So exactly the person who you'd want to make this kind of statement as he is one of the folks directly responsible for the players.

No, the VP of Player Personnel is Doug Williams.  This statement is attributed to Doug Willams.  This idiotic front office can't even spell his name right on a statement.  

Archived