Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

On 12/3/2018 at 4:12 PM, skinzplay said:

Nobody worth his salt is gonna take this job (nor should he) as long as George's son is still in the building. Poison ivy. And if we do move on from Gruden, the new HC has to insist on bringing in completely new people for his staff. No more holdovers from previous regimes. None! It's clear what happens when that's the case in Ashburn. Clean slate.

It's funny when I see people mention the likes of Saban, McCarthy, and Harbaugh as if any quality coach would ever come here. When's the last time we brought in someone who wasn't in over their head, a burned-out retread, or a former retiree?

The word is out. No one of worth or of character would ever find this organization a desirable place in which to work, especially alongside personnel known for putting us in precarious quarterback situations (RG3/Snyder; Kirk Cousins contract; Alex Smith contract).

On 12/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, Master Blaster said:

No. That was Gus’ Defense. 

Having played for Todd and Gus, I would say no to Todd. Not HC personality. 

Edit:  it’s Wash. Not Walsh. 

Not sure where you get the idea that was Bradley's defense.  Just because a guy coaches a team prior to another guy, it doesnt mean the team is still his 3 years later.  Thats absurd in football years, where even just 2 years makes a massive difference.  Bradleys defense was bad for 4 years in Jacksonville.  The years since he has left it has not only gone to great, but elite.

It had nothing to do with Bradley, and we would be foolish of us to pass up on the ONLY coordinator right now who has a proven recent track record of an elite group, and has done it for more than 1 year.  Statistically, the success rate for guys who fit that bill are astronomical compared to everyone else.

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

True, but to get the elite coach; Dan will have to pay more than other teams to get him.

Right now with Bruce as GM yes...

But I don't think that number is AS inflated if there is a different structure in the front office... and in case I'm wrong, thankfully the coaching staff does not count against the cap.  

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

True, but to get the elite coach; Dan will have to pay more than other teams to get him.

It would also mean relinquishing control, which he is not going to do.  Part of the reason I think people dislike, perhaps despise Bruce Allen, is because he is Danny's prop puppet.  The complicit guy who goes along with Danny's version of how to run an NFL team badly.  Danny is so entrenched IMO, involved in more decisions then we even know, behind the scenes, because the behaviors and outcomes are always the same.  Vinny or Bruce.  What is the difference?  Why else would Danny continue to pursue a way of doing things with a formula that is not followed by successful NFL teams, who have for the most part,  "hands off" owners.  Good owners who are not meddling fan boys or girls,  hire experienced GM's who make  the decisions, assembling a team of experienced NFL talent evaluators, which includes hiring the HC.   

And that is why no elite coach will come here.  Why should they?  

On 12/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, skinfan2k said:

there are only 32 jobs in the NFL.  If Dan wanted to get someone elite, he would get them.  No one just passes up NFL head coaching jobs. 

You're probably right. The possibility to become the next Joe Gibbs and all that it brings plus 7 million+ per year?  Yep.

There's no denying. If you do well here, you definitely get perks.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, goskins10 said:

However, it's just like Dan to promote someone within (which on it's own is not horrible if it's say Kyle Smith) then tell them their HC is McCarthy - or maybe Jeff Fisher - ugghh!! Or worse yet, keep Bruce and together they bring in McCarthy or some other retread. 

I know it's very unlikely Dan does this right this time - but a guy can dream can't he? 

If Dan can’t figure out Fisher is a HORRIBLE coach based on what McVay did with a lot of the same guys one year later...

Every scenario you just mentioned is horrific to think about.

The biggest issue is going to be the cap situation given Alex’s contract.  If we’re short $40-50 million of cap space, which means you’re bringing a knife to a gun fight for a couple years, that’s not an attractive situation to walk into.

3 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Captain Chaos!  And no, I'm not joking.

You know you've stumbled onto a great idea when the first thing you feel you have to do after proposing it s to assure people that no, you're not intentionally saying something so ludicrous that your actual purpose  is to try to  make people laugh at it.

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Let's wait for Bellichek to retire, and then lure him out of retirement, a la Gibbs 2.

That is probably the best case scenario for us.  Only someone of his ilk can right this ship proper.

Not likely.

UNLESS he manages to stumble across another ATG QB like Brady.

Take Brady away from Bellichek and he becomes Gruden; barely able to break even a la 8-8.

22 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Not likely.

UNLESS he manages to stumble across another ATG QB like Brady.

Take Brady away from Bellichek and he becomes Gruden; barely able to break even a la 8-8.

His cheating antics alone will be good for 1 win per year. Maybe he will be a GM in his after Brady life.

If Gruden gets canned, I think it will be Callahan.

Like many have said, there are not many ppl who turn down head coaching opportunities bc something better may come along. Bc if you wait too long, you can lose some of your shine.  And those that can be that picky are older coaches who wouldn't be here long anyway.

One guy I hope they look at is Eric bienemy, oc for kc.  Chiefs offense has been awesome.  I know it's technically Reid's offense, but bienemy has his hands in it too.  Reids former OCs pederson and nagy have done well as head coaches too. 

Archived