Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

If Snyder had just took gibbs's advice we would have been better off. Gibbs lined Snyder out to hire Williams as his successor and instead Snyder just did as Snyder does and fired everybody.

Lets not forget bountygate and how bad this franchise handles stuff like that

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Lets not forget bountygate and how bad this franchise handles stuff like that

I kind of agree here. But then again, it's not like Dan S has any place to stand on any moral high ground. I seriously doubt his decision to not hire GW had anything to do with bounties - something we know he was doing here. In fact, that may have been one of the things dan actually liked about him - and yes that's exactly how little I think if DS. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I kind of agree here. But then again, it's not like Dan S has any place to stand on any moral high ground. I seriously doubt his decision to not hire GW had anything to do with bounties - something we know he was doing here. In fact, that may have been one of the things dan actually liked about him - and yes that's exactly how little I think if DS. 

OH i don't think he didnt hire him BECAUSE of bounty gate... my point was how severe the fallout, had it come out while he was our HC.   How bad it would have been handled, and what penalties we likely would have faced to further set back the franchise.  

30 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

OH i don't think he didnt hire him BECAUSE of bounty gate... my point was how severe the fallout, had it come out while he was our HC.   How bad it would have been handled, and what penalties we likely would have faced to further set back the franchise.  

Fair enough.  There may have been a good outcome from that - may have hastened dannys removal from ownership. Probably not, but you never know. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough.  There may have been a good outcome from that - may have hastened dannys removal from ownership. Probably not, but you never know. 

Man if it came out with Williams as the HC and Dan KNEW about it... wow, didnt even think about it that way.  

Not gonna pat myself on the back again [ ok maybe a little ] but just as I called the Jacksonville improvement last year, I said that Cleveland would turn things around.

Whoever the next HC is should be given a couple of non-negotiable guidelines to follow;

1. NO ONE from Tampa Bay or Oakland.

2. He cannot hire any relatives for any position, I don't care if its the towel folder.

3. He must fire everyone in strength & conditioning and nutrition and hire people with actual qualifications. 

4. He should be allowed to find new blood in the scouting dept.  Getting old watching a bunch of WRs who can't make 6'1 tippy-toeing...

11 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Not gonna pat myself on the back again [ ok maybe a little ] but just as I called the Jacksonville improvement last year, I said that Cleveland would turn things around.

Whoever the next HC is should be given a couple of non-negotiable guidelines to follow;

2. He cannot hire any relatives for any position, I don't care if its the towel folder.

3. He must fire everyone in strength & conditioning and nutrition and hire people with actual qualifications. 

4. He should be allowed to find new blood in the scouting dept.  Getting old watching a bunch of WRs who can't make 6'1 tippy-toeing...

uhh....

19 Robert Davis WR 23 6' 3" 212 lbs 1 Georgia State
18 Josh Doctson WR 26 6' 2" 202 lbs 3 TCU
17 Michael Floyd WR 29 6' 3" 220 lbs 7 Notre Dame
13 Maurice Harris WR 26 6' 3" 200 lbs 3 California

89 Cam Sims WR 22 6' 5" 214 lbs R Alabama

uh.... 

I actually like our scouting department.   The last 2 drafts have been great.  In fact, our "Director of College Scouting' is a guy named Kyle Smith.  He's one of the top up and coming front office executives in the NFL.  Will be a GM someday, most people who know a lot more about football than I do say it's a matter of when, not if.  I think it would be a very big mistake to let him go.   I'd make Schaeffer the GM and have Smith head up all player personnel.  

14 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Predicting the Jags being better last year was not exactly a great premonition. Hard to not see them taking a step forward. What would be impressive is if you also predicted it would be one good season and then done. 

Cleveland fired their HC and have now won just a few games. You are ready to say they have "turned it around" based on that? Hmmm...  Not really seeing that. 

As for the other items: 

With Bruce gone - which should be the only real prerequisite here - it's very unlikely anyone from those two organizations gets a look. But why put any limitations? This is exactly what has been wrong - Dan hires people then forces others on them. Let the new GM and HC pick whoever they want to. 

Why? This continues to make absolutely no sense what so ever. It is known the Redskins have some of the worst facilities in the league. That's on Dan. And Bruce continues to bring people back and sign new people with injury histories. How is this on the strength and conditioning coaches? They are given total **** to work with so guess what, it turns into total ****. And yes, some of it is just bad luck - the broken legs for instance. But it's mostly keeping and signing guys with injury history. Guess what, they get injured. 

I don't completely disagree about getting new scouting talent. However, the reason you state is inaccurate: Mo Harris - 6'3" Josh D - 6' 4" - Micheal Floyd - 6' 3', Jehu Chesson - 6' 3". So you are about 3 yrs too late for this statement when the team had Garcon, Jackson, and Crowder - which BTW almost all slot WRs are shorter with quickness. 

The new HC needs to be whoever the new GM picks. And they together need to build a roster with some strategy. My view is and has been, the way Bruce builds a roster has more to do with who he can get for a bargain than having a strategy - a player type that makes a team. I am not a fan of Shanny - but even though he was not allowed to have full roster control, you could see his approach - like getting smaller but more agile Oline for his zone blocking. And getting the type of RBs he wanted. Then with Scot, you could see the same thing. he likes tough guys that love football. He was willing to overlook some talent deficiencies if they showed more heart and strength of character. But of course Bruce blocked him at least to some extent - hence the whole falling out.

Bruce just signs guys to contracts he likes. Forget how they fit in the locker room or with the coaches. The root of our issues lie with Dan and Bruce. Unfortunately, Dan will not remove himself, but maybe by removing Bruce Dan gets lucky and hires the right GM. I seriously doubt it can’t be any worse than bruce the douche. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The new HC needs to be whoever the new GM picks. And they together need to build a roster with some strategy. My view is and has been, the way Bruce builds a roster has more to do with who he can get for a bargain than having a strategy - a player type that makes a team. I am not a fan of Shanny - but even though he was not allowed to have full roster control, you could see his approach - like getting smaller but more agile Oline for his zone blocking. And getting the type of RBs he wanted. Then with Scot, you could see the same thing. he likes tough guys that love football. He was willing to overlook some talent deficiencies if they showed more heart and strength of character. But of course Bruce blocked him at least to some extent - hence the whole falling out.

10000%

The next HC also needs to be flexible enough to understand what he has.  Dont force a system on players that don't fit.  It's one thing to be building a roster to fit a scheme and mentality, but it's another thing to put a scheme in place and fail to get the best out of your players.  You referenced Shanny... one thing I HAVE to give him credit for was the offense we ran with RG3 behind center and getting the most out of what we had.  I want someone who calls a game based on players and matchups, not based on the 'scheme.'  Does that make sense?  

19 hours ago, method man said:

Kris Richard would be solid

I'm thinking we should take the loser of the Williams / Kitchens decision in Cleveland. Seems like those two are duking it out to be the next HC of the Browns

I am not in the get rid of Jay crowd (though wouldn't hate it either if they replace him) but if they do get rid of him, Richard fits the profile I like -- motivator & tactician.  Coaches often seem to be just one or the other -- at least profile wise, he seems to be both.  Hopefully Garrett keeps his job otherwise I'd presume Richard is next in line.

The Kris Richard idea intrigues me. If not just for his role in developing Seattle's Legion of Boom, taking him away from another NFC East team puts him at the top of my wish list. I Don't care if he's brought in as the HC or DC but he seems like the kind of coach this team needs.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:08 AM, goskins10 said:

Predicting the Jags being better last year was not exactly a great premonition. Hard to not see them taking a step forward. What would be impressive is if you also predicted it would be one good season and then done. 

Cleveland fired their HC and have now won just a few games. You are ready to say they have "turned it around" based on that? Hmmm...  Not really seeing that. 

Um, sorry, but put Cleveland up against us and they would clean us.  Yes, they are ON the up trend, and they look to be doing things the right way, thus far.

As for the other items: 

With Bruce gone - which should be the only real prerequisite here - it's very unlikely anyone from those two organizations gets a look. But why put any limitations? This is exactly what has been wrong - Dan hires people then forces others on them. Let the new GM and HC pick whoever they want to. 

True, Bruce Allen being removed from everything Redskins-related is top priority.  But this hiring family and friends crap shouldn't be allowed to happen. Whoever the new GM/HC is should hire the assistants who are best qualified. Hiring nephews, cousins and other relatives based only on relation takes away possible quality personnel from that position.

Why? This continues to make absolutely no sense what so ever. It is known the Redskins have some of the worst facilities in the league. That's on Dan. And Bruce continues to bring people back and sign new people with injury histories. How is this on the strength and conditioning coaches? They are given total **** to work with so guess what, it turns into total ****. And yes, some of it is just bad luck - the broken legs for instance. But it's mostly keeping and signing guys with injury history. Guess what, they get injured. 

Obviously you haven't taken the time to look closely at the S&T and Nutritionist personnel to make this assumption.

These people in these fields have 2 polar different priorities on a player's overall condition.  Currently we have a guy named Jake Sankal who came from the Cleveland Indians ! That's baseball in case you're not familiar. Oh, but before that, he was with the Akron Rubber Ducks; well, since he came from that world famous organization he gets a pass.

Then there's Chad Englehart. Where did he work at before coming here? Florida Tuskers. Who formerly worked at the Florida Tuskers as well?  Jay Gruden. { see line #2 }

Sorry, I just have a big beef with this. This team over the last few years has really suffered massive amounts of injuries; yes a few are ones that could happen to anyone any time, but the majority of others is S&T/nutrition-related. If they weren't, there wouldn't be a need for the position to begin with.

I don't completely disagree about getting new scouting talent. However, the reason you state is inaccurate: Mo Harris - 6'3" Josh D - 6' 4" - Micheal Floyd - 6' 3', Jehu Chesson - 6' 3". So you are about 3 yrs too late for this statement when the team had Garcon, Jackson, and Crowder - which BTW almost all slot WRs are shorter with quickness. 

I probably should have worded it referring to their 'playing height'.  But Harris, Floyd and Chesson aren't true starters. I'm talking about a AJ Green-type player who is tall and plays tall.

Totally agree, which is why I don't get why Snyder hasn't seemed to catch on to this by now. He's not a stupid man, but he's being mis-led by Bruce.  Bruce seems to want to scrimp and save as much as possible on most players, only to dump all of the savings into 'splashy' guys who never pan out.

Bruce just signs guys to contracts he likes. Forget how they fit in the locker room or with the coaches. The root of our issues lie with Dan and Bruce. Unfortunately, Dan will not remove himself, but maybe by removing Bruce Dan gets lucky and hires the right GM. I seriously doubt it can’t be any worse than bruce the douche. 

a question connected to this but not directly about it.  Do teams that fire coaches(and GMs) tend to sign guys to futures contracts at the end of the season still or do they wait.  It may not seem like much but I think PS guys are generally signed to those after a season

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Um, sorry, but put Cleveland up against us and they would clean us.  Yes, they are ON the up trend, and they look to be doing things the right way, thus far.

There is a  huge difference between trending and turned the corner. As a Redskins fan you of all people should be able to see the difference. Call me when they win something of significance. Until then they have not turned any corners, they are just a few more games than they used to. 

As for the other items: 

True, Bruce Allen being removed from everything Redskins-related is top priority.  But this hiring family and friends crap shouldn't be allowed to happen. Whoever the new GM/HC is should hire the assistants who are best qualified. Hiring nephews, cousins and other relatives based only on relation takes away possible quality personnel from that position.

I cannot disagree with this more. Most hiring in the NFL is done based on previous relationships. Some of you act like a guy gets a HC job and then hires an entire staff of people they never knew before. Many assistants are hired because they have a previous working relationship with the HC. I want whoever coming in to pick who they think is best - no qualifiers, no forced people on the HC, period. Also, many coaches have family in some lower positions. Would you have had a problem with Wes and Wade Phillips being here? If no, then you made my point. NO QUALIFIERS! Let them pick who they want. 

Obviously you haven't taken the time to look closely at the S&T and Nutritionist personnel to make this assumption.

These people in these fields have 2 polar different priorities on a player's overall condition.  Currently we have a guy named Jake Sankal who came from the Cleveland Indians ! That's baseball in case you're not familiar. Oh, but before that, he was with the Akron Rubber Ducks; well, since he came from that world

famous organization he gets a pass.

Then there's Chad Englehart. Where did he work at before coming here? Florida Tuskers. Who formerly worked at the Florida Tuskers as well?  Jay Gruden. { see line #2 }

Sorry, I just have a big beef with this. This team over the last few years has really suffered massive amounts of injuries; yes a few are ones that could happen to anyone any time, but the majority of others is S&T/nutrition-related. If they weren't, there wouldn't be a need for the position to begin with.

I will assume all the snark was meant to be funny? It just comes off as snark - but I will assume there was no ill intent. just letting you know how it reads. For example, of course I know whop the Cleveland Indians are. I mean come on. And yes, I have taken the time to go through the teams S&C staff. The difference is you have a problem with it and i do not. Until Bruce signs people without injury histories and Dan fixes the club house, there are way too many variables to blame the staff. 

If they fix both those things and still have an injury problem, then Ok let's look at the staff. 

BTW: Injuries are actually way up across the NFL. I subscribe to Man Games Lost. It's a web site that tracks and plots missed starter days due to injury and impact of those injuries. And the total number of injuries has steadily increased since the last CBA. I think the 3rd variable not talked about much is the CBA and all the new practice rules. Yea, some teams seem to avoid it. But not all of them. I don't have the time now, but I may do a break down of injuries by team over time. I did this once and it was telling. For example, the Redskins last yer I believe finished with morer than 300 lost starter games due to injury. Any year before 2016, that would have been a run away worse in the NFL. Last year i think it was 4th. 

I probably should have worded it referring to their 'playing height'.  But Harris, Floyd and Chesson aren't true starters. I'm talking about a AJ Green-type player who is tall and plays tall.

They are starters now. Docston can play big if someone would throw him the ball. Anyway, what you want is a stud - a reasonable goal. However, they have tried and i like the talent elevators right now. 

Totally agree, which is why I don't get why Snyder hasn't seemed to catch on to this by now. He's not a stupid man, but he's being mis-led by Bruce.  Bruce seems to want to scrimp and save as much as possible on most players, only to dump all of the savings into 'splashy' guys who never pan out.

Looks like we agree here. 

On 12/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

There won’t be a new GM or HC.  We are cursed with Snyder trusting Allen and Allen wanting a yes man like Gruden.

it is what it is.

Merry Christmas.

We won 7 games and finished the season with our 4th string QB, someone we literally signed from the street.  Bruce and Jay have their built in excuse.  They will both be back in 2019.  We are one week away from Black Monday and the Skins will not be participating.

The only way to finally get rid of Bruce and Jay is going to be double digit losses and that should be happening in 2019.

Archived