Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah man. Me too. I had that injury and it hurts like a ****. It isnt that bad when your sitting still. But as soon as you move at all it is excruciating. And you can feel the bone fragments clicking inside your leg. It really is a nasty thing to have to go through.

Agreed.  I broke my leg when I was 10 years old, and it certainly hurts, but it's not really the worst pain ever kinda feeling....as long as you're not moving.  Once they immobilized it, the pain dropped precipitously in my case.  Getting to the hospital in the backseat of a car wasnt fun.

https://overthecap.com/what-exactly-are-injury-settlements/

https://nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

It's not magic, you don't get to just declare "injury settlement" and then all your cap problems go away.

There is no injury settlement that will get us out of paying Alex Smith 55 million dollars. Or get us out of taking the cap hit for every one of those 55 million dollars.

4 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Stop acting like he was benched for a political movement.  He was benched well before that because he isn't good.  He played the college RO offense well, but then the league caught up and shut that down.  The one trick pony was done at that point.  He was benched for Gabbert for the love of Pete.

4 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Keep telling yourself that.

4 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Then you don't want Kap.  He is not a good QB.

Going to stop this right now. No politics in the Stadium. 

If you can’t discuss whether or not Kaep should be brought in exclusively in terms of a football move, without bringing up the background (which is difficult, obviously) then simply don’t talk about him. Even passingly referencing it is an issue since it’s such a sensitive topic. Just don’t do it. 

Otherwise take it to the Tailgate. 

17 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Going to stop this right now. No politics in the Stadium. 

If you can’t discuss whether or not Kaep should be brought in exclusively in terms of a football move, without bringing up the background (which is difficult, obviously) then simply don’t talk about him. Even passingly referencing it is an issue since it’s such a sensitive topic. Just don’t do it. 

Otherwise take it to the Tailgate. 

I'll give it a shot. Bruce Allen has publicly said that there is no way that Kaepernick will ever play here. So, we can all let that one go.

"Even though Washington quarterbacks coach Kevin O’Connell served on the last coaching staff in San Francisco that had Kaepernick on the roster, Kaepernick won’t be on the Washington roster," Florio wrote. "barring a dramatic change of heart by Allen — or a direct order from owner Daniel Snyder that having someone who possibly could help push a 6-4 start toward a finish atop the division outweighs all non-football considerations."

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/news/report-redskins-not-interested-colin-kaepernick

5 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Time for Kap, I’d rather see a good QB than back up bums

But Kap is a bum. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, crazy.

What would be even weirder is if they found some special significance in the number 33.

We've probably started 33 quarterbacks since it happened

44 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

But Kap is a bum. 

We've probably started 33 quarterbacks since it happened

Real close actually, 31 QB's have started by my count.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_starting_quarterbacks

Well, this really did not go down like I had hoped for Alex Smith.

First, that was a horrible injury, and I hope he can come back 100% from it. I've not been a fan of the trade for him, how the FO sold him, or his play as a Redskin,  but he's been a really stand up dude for his entire career. It was terrible to see him go down like that. Those of us that watched Theismann go down like that never wanted to see that happen to one of our QB's ever again. Simply horrible.

And given his age, this is going to be very tough to come back from. I'm not sure what happens to him as a QB here in the future, but I hope he has a complete recovery. Given his off season training program, I think he will. He will work his ass off to get back to 100%. I don't know what the future has in store for him here, but I'm certain he'll give it 100%. :cheers:

Theismann tweeted the comparison between his and Smith’s injuries.

Both happened on Nov. 18. Both happened at the 40-yard line. Romeo Crennel was an assistant coach on the opposing sideline of both games. Washington won the 1985 game 23-21; Houston won Sunday’s game 23-21. Theismann finished his season with 301 attempts; Smith entered Sunday’s game with 301 attempts and finished his season with 328.

“This date has always been a day in my life that I’ll never forget,” Theismann said. “. . .My immediate thought was that my heart went out to him. I feel so bad for him. I know the road ahead. We’re somewhat similar in age [when the injuries happened]. He’s not 25 or 26 years of age. I was 35; he’s 34. How long will it take to come back? What is the severity?

“I worry less about Alex and his football career than I do Alex and wanting to be able to do the things in life he wants to do.” Link

I hate injuries, especially one that appears to be career threatening if not ending.  Hated hated hated the decisions they made regarding the QB situation, I'll never really get over that. But I never wanted to see this and now we are absolutely screwed because without a QB you have no chance in this game.  And as I kept saying they really had little shot of drafting a giid QB given the history at drafting QBs throughout the league. 

I don't know what we're going to do at backup for the remaining 6 games, but I know that we need to draft the QB of the future in May.

Ryan Finley is one good option for this offense. Very accurate and great at intermediate throws, slants, curls, etc. Very much a west coast offense kind of guy. He's not the most athletic player and has a merely decent arm, but he has a ton of leadership experience and doesn't screw up often. Pair that with an elite running game behind Derrius Guice and Chris Thompson and the offense will be in good shape for a while.

Smith was doing enough to not lose games for this team.  I don't know why folks think McCoy can't do that too.  Maybe even better than Alex considering he's been in Gruden's system for 4 years.  The only issue with McCoy is durability, IMO.  I don't know if he can last the rest of the year.  

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Theismann tweeted the comparison between his and Smith’s injuries.

Both happened on Nov. 18. Both happened at the 40-yard line. Romeo Crennel was an assistant coach on the opposing sideline of both games. Washington won the 1985 game 23-21; Houston won Sunday’s game 23-21. Theismann finished his season with 301 attempts; Smith entered Sunday’s game with 301 attempts and finished his season with 328.

“This date has always been a day in my life that I’ll never forget,” Theismann said. “. . .My immediate thought was that my heart went out to him. I feel so bad for him. I know the road ahead. We’re somewhat similar in age [when the injuries happened]. He’s not 25 or 26 years of age. I was 35; he’s 34. How long will it take to come back? What is the severity?

“I worry less about Alex and his football career than I do Alex and wanting to be able to do the things in life he wants to do.” Link

Unreal the similarities in terms of what and when it happened. 

I just feel so bad for Alex as a person. Regardless af what you thought of the trade or his performance. one thing I think everyone could agree is that Alex was a stand up guy who was working his butt off. Despite the 2 picks, he was having his best day as a Redskin which to me meant he was starting to get it and feel comfortable. 

With today's medicine it is more likely than during Joe's time that Alex will be able to get back to daily life better and faster. However, it is extremely likely his football career is over. Just a really ****ty way for it to end. For his sake I hope not. This is just not the way you want to go out. 

Good luck Alex!! Here is to a quick and full recovery and a healthy life moving forward, where ever that takes you! 

Does this Alex injury hurt our chances in building a better team?  If we have to pay him this amount of money for not playing and we then have to use resources ie higher pick for qb or paying a FA which takes away money that we need for other positions will could this be detrimental to how we pursue or pay our own players in FA

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Unreal the similarities in terms of what and when it happened. 

I just feel so bad for Alex as a person. Regardless af what you thought of the trade or his performance. one thing I think everyone could agree is that Alex was a stand up guy who was working his butt off. Despite the 2 picks, he was having his best day as a Redskin which to me meant he was starting to get it and feel comfortable. 

With today's medicine it is more likely than during Joe's time that Alex will be able to get back to daily life better and faster. However, it is extremely likely his football career is over. Just a really ****ty way for it to end. For his sake I hope not. This is just not the way you want to go out. 

Good luck Alex!! Here is to a quick and full recovery and a healthy life moving forward, where ever that takes you! 

Yeah I purposely didn't make comments about his performance or Colt yesterday post injury out of respect for what he went through.  Like I said yesterday I can relate to what he's about to go through vicariously through my son.

I think he's been anywhere from average to a subpar QB this season though not atrocious, including yesterday -- I thought he had a good first quarter but a poor 2nd quarter.  But cool guy, nice person, that's easy to see.  Classy guy too which I think helps this organization in particular.  So felt real bad for him especially because I could relate to that injury specifically.

As for Colt.  I got mixed emotions about him.  Like Alex, he's a classy guy, a leader.  I commented on this when I was at the Tampa game where I was sitting close behind the bench -- when the offense was looking sluggish early, it was Colt talking to players on the sidelines where it looked to me to get them fired up, Alex mostly kept to himself on the bench from what I observed.  I recall Cooley said a couple of years ago, the players loved Colt, he was the most social of their QBs and he would go out with fellow players to dinner among other things all the time.

Colt IMO plays with much more swagger and moxie than Alex.  He seems to throw more with anticipation versus waiting for guys to get open.  He looks quicker and more decisive.  However, he has a tendency in his career to hold on to the ball for a long time on some plays when he's on the move waiting for guys to get open and he fumbles too much, throws too many INTs, and is brittle.   So to me he's a more fun watch than Alex, in a way he gives me more confidence but with him you often feel like something bad is going to happen eventually.   Alex's arm strength isn't that good IMO but Colt's arm is even weaker. I know some say he's improved over the last few years sitting on the bench.  Will see.

Very sad to see what happened to Alex (I was actually at the game yesterday). Had no idea it was so bad until I saw the benches clear and the cart come out. He seemed in good spirits as they wheeled him into the locker room but obviously the injury was quite bad. 

Question for the group (hope it wasn't already addressed earlier in the thread) - if for some reason this means Smith can no longer play, what happens to his contract and the cap implications for us?

The only time I had any confidence that we would win the game was when Colt came in. And as it turned out that was justified, it's no coincidence they took the lead after he came in. Smith wasn't "subpar" yesterday, he was awful.  The pick 6 and ensuing interceptions were absolutely killers, his QBR for the game was Heath Shuler territory.  With that said he is a class guy and I hate to see this happen to anyone, especially a Redskin.  Just awful. 

1 hour ago, dckey said:

Does this Alex injury hurt our chances in building a better team?  If we have to pay him this amount of money for not playing and we then have to use resources ie higher pick for qb or paying a FA which takes away money that we need for other positions will could this be detrimental to how we pursue or pay our own players in FA

The bulk of this discussion will probably take place outside the thread... But I will say I don't think it should change much. We were going to probably draft a QB in 2020, just have to do it a year earlier. That's if they decide to go that route. They may just sign a cheap vet next year and ride with him and Colt with Smith on IR.

I think ILB is still the biggest need on this team, a touch more than a LG.

17 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Thirty-three years to the day that Theisman got his leg snapped by Taylor, this happens.  What a crazy coincidence.  

I heard Theisman discussing the injury this morning on SiriusXM, and he threw out a few more crazy coincidences.

- Both sack injuries happened at the 40.

- His LT, Jacoby was out with injury that game as Trent was in this game.

- Both were right leg injuries, involving complete breaks of both the fibula and tibula

- He has a nephew named Alex Smith who is 33 years old.

- The final scores of the games were the exact same, except the Redskins won in 85.

He also said that he doesn't know if Alex will be able to come back because we haven't heard the full extent of the injury yet.  He is hoping he will be able to, but that we'll have to wait and see.

Well, now at least, I think everyone can agree with the thread title for once.

Let's all get behind Alex Smith...in his recovery.

13 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I think ILB is still the biggest need on this team, a touch more than a LG.

Why is that ?

Foster leads the league in tackles, I heard. He's making turnovers.

Brown is a monster.

And we just drafted Shaun Dion Hamilton, who is supposed to be the future.

I hope this isn't looked at as insensitive because I truly am wishing that Alex has a speedy recovery. I also don't think it's any coincidence that players from both teams all supported him as he was getting ready to be driven off the field. He's a classy player and has had a great career....

But....if he decides to hang 'em up after this injury, what is our obligation to him from a cap perspective? I don't care about the actual cash...I hope he gets every nickel. But, is the cap hit the same as it would be if we cut him/kept him? 

I've never been a fan of Alex Smith as our QB, but was saddened to see this happen. I thought that he was playing better in this game than he has all season. He seemed a little more confident in the pocket and was airing it out a little more.

Got to give him some respect for how he handled the pain. He was probably in a bit of shock but that must have hurt like a ****. I remember Theismann's injury like it was yesterday and the coincidences are just freaky. Get well soon Alex.

With no disrespect to Smith, I am looking forward to seeing what McCoy will do. He seemed to be getting the ball out quickly and fairly accurately when he came in. He's got a short week to prepare for dallas (do we even have a scout team QB?) so hopefully he can get fully prepared. 

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well, now at least, I think everyone can agree with the thread title for once.

Let's all get behind Alex Smith...in his recovery.

Why is that ?

Foster leads the league in tackles, I heard. He's making turnovers.

Brown is a monster.

And we just drafted Shaun Dion Hamilton, who is supposed to be the future.

Again, we'll eventually have to move this discussion out of the thread... But I think we need improvement at that spot in order to become the defense we want to be.

While Foster is great against the run, I believe he's a liability in the passing game. But that's just me though, it's not like he's the worse ever, just think that spot needs improvement. As for Dion-Hamilton, hopefully he is a diamond in the rough, but I don't know.

What is it about Joe Theismann's injury that...is so...captivating?  I mean, EVERYONE past a certain age knows about it.  I had just turned 4 when it happened so I don't really remember it but I certainly grew up here knowing who Joe Theismann was and what happened to him.  I remember my dad explaining it to me.  Seen the replay quite a few times, for sure. 

But you don't need to be a Redskins fan to know about Joe Thieismann's leg injury.  I mean, that movie "The Blind Side" shows the video of the clip before the movie starts to explain how important a left tackle is.

I mean, they could have picked any quarterback sack to explain it, but I am assuming that the injury was so severe that it perfectly illustrated the point. 

Is it because it was the first really gruesome injury to be aired on a national broadcast like that?

12 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes, it sucks what happened to Smith but what game were the people watching who were saying he was having a decent game before the injury?  He had a 29.1 passer rating and below 50% completion percentage.  He was putrid.  

He came unraveled a little in the second half. I think up until the pick-6 he was playing great. He was hurt by AT LEAST 3 drops which would have added another 80 yards through the air (and potentially a TD, but not sure if Vernon would have scored). 

Not sure if the pick-6 was on him, Reed, or just one of those timing things...but that plus the ensuing INT were both pretty bad. 

Archived