Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remarkably similar to Joe T.

Given Smith’s age and game style, it honestly could be career ending.

Yeah for those who have young kids, you can relate that you can feel their injuries more than any of your own.  I stayed over night with him before the surgery, talked to the doctor multiple times, say through with him as the recovery time at the hospital -- he was released a day later.  But he went right to a wheel chair.  Took months before he could walk but could get around some in crutches.  Been through his physical therapy.   So yeah sadly I know that injury really well.  It's a long journey to come back from typically.   My son still isn't right but he's getting there and he's 10 years old so at an age where your body heals fast.  

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I had the same injury when I was 22, rehabbing was a huge pain.  I still have a 7 inch steel plate in that leg at the ankle and they left in 2 of the 5 screws.

Yeah, he's going to be 35 going into next season, I can't imagine him wanting to go through the rehab process to start another NFL season. If he was younger than 30 no question he would try to return, but at this age I can't see it being worth the risk.

Just now, spjunkies said:

Yeah, he's going to be 35 going into next season, I can't imagine him wanting to go through the rehab process to start another NFL season. If he was younger than 30 no question he would try to return, but at this age I can't see it being worth the risk.

He wouldn't even be ready until late 2019 unless they work some serious mojo, but if he was like me and needs screws and plates I don't see it.

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No.  It was immediate pressure, free blitzed and he went down awkwardly.

THAT was a BS PLAY!!!! 3rd and 9 and the the back runs into the flat never checking for the obvious blitz. Smith had am empty backfield!! NO PROTECTION!! Gruden should be FIRED for calling that play...was that Perine in there #30???

THAT is exactly what I thought happened...Gruden let the pressure get to him....no way you don't KEEP the back IN with that TEXAS front 7.

I stand by what I said..Gruden pressed and Got Alex hurt

I wanted to give you guys some info on what Smith will be going through. I had a spiral fracture of my Tib/Fib 20 years ago while skiing. They will insert what is called a tibial screw down the center of his leg to stabilize the Tibia. They may or may not need to insert plates to stabilize the Fib. I didnt need any plates on mine as it snapped up close to the knee joint. My tibia shattered almost in the middle of the bone. 

The recovery is long and PAINFUL. I was not allowed to put any weight at all on that leg for 3 or 4 months. Crutches for a very long time. You are in incredible pain when you come out of surgery and it hurts A LOT for weeks. I was in a hard cast for 4 months and a walking boot for another 3 months after that. I have numbness in my leg from nerve damage as well. When I touch my knee It feels like I am touching my ankle for example. Rehab is pretty straight forward. Once you can put weight on your leg you start to strengthen the muscles again. And the first time you run after that long recovery it feels like a freedom you have never felt before. 

But this is not a career ending injury. I walk normally and can run fine. Although I am slow as hell. But I have always been slow :). He will make a full recovery as long as he doesnt get an infection or something. I wish Alex well and I wouldnt wish what he is going to experience over the next couple of weeks on my worst enemy. Here is a picture of a before after after the rod is inserted:

Image result for tib fib spiral fracture recovery time

Thirty-three years to the day that Theisman got his leg snapped by Taylor, this happens.  What a crazy coincidence.  

I really don't see Alex coming back from this at his age.  I don't know if he would want to either.  It is going to take some serious rehabbing, which will probably have him sidelined for at least a year.  He and the team are going to have to make some tough decisions in the next few months.

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No.  It was immediate pressure, free blitzed and he went down awkwardly.

3rd and 9 and the Back went out into the flat as a receiver. NEVER checked on the Blitz!!! Who was that back? a 30#. THAT was a BAD Play Call. Gruden pressed and got Alex hurt. I stand by what I said...Gruden listened to the critics and tried for a big play and too a BIG RISK. Alex didn't have a chance. Gruden OWNS this because of the flack he listened to..

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

3rd and 9 and the Back went out into the flat as a receiver. NEVER checked on the Blitz!!! Who was that back? a 30#. THAT was a BAD Play Call. Gruden pressed and got Alex hurt. I stand by what I said...Gruden listened to the critics and tried for a big play and too a BIG RISK. Alex didn't have a chance. Gruden OWNS this because of the flack he listened to..

Stop. Things happen on the field. This isn't on Gruden. I mean, I feel terrible for Smith too, but again, stuff happens. 

8 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Why did you make the same post twice???

First, you can't say it was on Gruden.  We don't know if the running back screwed up.  Maybe he read the defense wrong and didn't stay in when he was supposed to.  

Second, you are wildly assuming that Gruden is basing his play designs and play calling on what fans say.  That is ridiculous.  Any coach or player that alters their plan due to fan criticism isn't worth being in professional sports. 

Both of your assertions have no basis of facts to back them up, and that doesn't change just because you post it twice.

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

But this is not a career ending injury. 

Totally disagree. A year out and then having to get back in to football shape from that? At 35 years old, coming on to 36 years old by the time he got back on the field and having made a boatload of money already? If he has any sense, he'll hang them up. Who is going to want a broken Alex Smith anyway? It's not like he's Peyton Manning, he's a solid, dependable, pretty decent QB but he'll have been out of the game for 12-18months after a horrific injury and for a 36 year old QB who relies on his mobility as one of his major weapons - no-one in the league will take him as anything other than a backup - can't see him wanting to end his career that way.

To be honest, I feel horrible for Alex because that's a really ****ty thing for anyone to have to deal with, but looking at it in an entirely cynical Redskins focussed way, it's probably the only way we can burn his contract and get away with no consequences. 

9 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Why did you make the same post twice???

First, you can't say it was on Gruden.  We don't know if the running back screwed up.  Maybe he read the defense wrong and didn't stay in when he was supposed to.  

Second, you are wildly assuming that Gruden is basing his play designs and play calling on what fans say.  That is ridiculous.  Any coach or player that alters their plan due to fan criticism isn't worth being in professional sports. 

Both of your assertions have no basis of facts to back them up, and that doesn't change just because you post it twice.

1st post erred out..and if you listened to Gruden's pressers..you would see he was responding to the pressure..obvious. HE was talking down Alex's reads.

THAT Back should have ONE responsibility in that situation..stay in and Protect or slide out and receive. NOT take the time to slide through the line and get open in the flat. If you don't know that you don't know football

25 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I’m a huge Gruden critic.  

I think youre reaching.  

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Just stick with Colt, draft the best QB prospect you can and start over. We may have escaped a terrible contract too. 

This isn't rocket science. 

No but it is business management and, well, this business hasn’t been managed properly in nearly 30 years...

yup.

24 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Ummmm... you must not been watching really carefully, I guess. When he was back peddling I kept on saying throw the ball away. Matter of fact he should have done that few seconds earlier. I was really surprised he didn't do that. It was not the safe Alex play there. He throws the ball away we get 3 and no Alex out for the season. So please stop blaming Gruden on this. 

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

1st post erred out..and if you listened to Gruden's pressers..you would see he was responding to the pressure..obvious. HE was talking down Alex's reads.

THAT Back should have ONE responsibility in that situation..stay in and Protect or slide out and receive. NOT take the time to slide through the line and get open in the flat. If you don't know that you don't know football

If you knew football you would know that very rarely does a back not have more than one responsibility, especially when not getting the hand off.  In most cases like that, if there is no one to pick up and block, or even after making a block, the back is supposed to slide out and become a check down target.  He may have missed his blocking assignment, which happens to every team at times, and went out.

Gruden talking down Alex's reads has nothing to do with proving that he put Alex in a position to get injured.  Anyone who knows football and watches the Redskins has been talking down Alex's reads and his play overall.  Including Alex.  So, I guess Alex got himself injured by your logic?

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He wouldn't even be ready until late 2019 unless they work some serious mojo, but if he was like me and needs screws and plates I don't see it.

My son's tibia was shattered pretty good but the fibula was somewhat of a clean break. They considered a plate but opted not to do it.

But this conversation brings a good point, we dont know the extent and how clean versus not clean the breakage was and the severity could be different on each bone.

35 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I wanted to give you guys some info on what Smith will be going through. I had a spiral fracture of my Tib/Fib 20 years ago while skiing. They will insert what is called a tibial screw down the center of his leg to stabilize the Tibia. They may or may not need to insert plates to stabilize the Fib. I didnt need any plates on mine as it snapped up close to the knee joint. My tibia shattered almost in the middle of the bone. 

The recovery is long and PAINFUL. I was not allowed to put any weight at all on that leg for 3 or 4 months. Crutches for a very long time. You are in incredible pain when you come out of surgery and it hurts A LOT for weeks. I was in a hard cast for 4 months and a walking boot for another 3 months after that. I have numbness in my leg from nerve damage as well. When I touch my knee It feels like I am touching my ankle for example. Rehab is pretty straight forward. Once you can put weight on your leg you start to strengthen the muscles again. And the first time you run after that long recovery it feels like a freedom you have never felt before. 

But this is not a career ending injury. I walk normally and can run fine. Although I am slow as hell. But I have always been slow :). He will make a full recovery as long as he doesnt get an infection or something. I wish Alex well and I wouldnt wish what he is going to experience over the next couple of weeks on my worst enemy. Here is a picture of a before after after the rod is inserted:

Image result for tib fib spiral fracture recovery time

Wow! So I broke my Tibia and fibula some years ago. I was in a cast for a whole year (all be it in the 80s). Anyway, that is a brutal injury because you have to watch out of blood clots. I truly pray for a speedy recovery for Alex. This will be a long long total rehab. I'm not sure where my breaks took place, but my broken leg is shorter than my "good one". I wish the best for Alex.

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Ummmm... you must not been watching really carefully, I guess. When he was back peddling I kept on saying throw the ball away. Matter of fact he should have done that few seconds earlier. I was really surprised he didn't do that. It was not the safe Alex play there. He throws the ball away we get 3 and no Alex out for the season. So please stop blaming Gruden on this. 

My point exactly..he pressed. That safety gave away the blitz wayyyy early ..he was coming within at least 2 count cadence and Perine stayed left and NEVER checked. That was not Alex's tendency. No need arguing..people can form their own conclusions. *I* think Gruden heard all the BS and pressed

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Oh boy, we're really throwing around "if you knew football" and "real football fans" in here? 

Let's just look forward to beating Dallas next week. 

If you read his post to me, you'd see why I threw that in there.  But to your second point, there is a lot more to discuss at this point than the Dallas game.  There is a lot of conversation to be had on the QB situation and where we may go from here.  We have to get another QB on our roster this week.

Archived