Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

I am soooo sick of the "Alex is 6-3" argument. To evaluate a QB strictly on the team record, while ignoring all the other factors that go into a win or a loss, is beyond ignorant.  The defense has been a factor, the play of the opponent has been a factor, as has the play of Adrian Peterson.  Hell the kicker and punter may have had more of an effect on the team record than Alex Smith has.  

Sure turnovers play a role as well.  However it's easy to avoid turnovers when you throw 5 yard passes on 3rd and 9.  

17 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

He's not throwing an incomplete 'damn near every drop back.'  He's also not failing to see an open receiver every drop back either... and Iike I said, how many times within this offense is the open receiver the 3rd or 4th read in the progression which he never gets to.  Whether it be because he opts for an attempt at an earlier read, or the fact that he's playing behind a makeshift O-line? 

He does need to get more comfortable, and the level of play is not good enough, but he's not the ONLY cause for these frustrations.  The making bad throws to open receivers is on him, i'm not disputing that.  

The 'makeshift o-line' excuse doesn't cut it, sorry.

The line was fine until a couple weeks ago;  actually the line was ranked fairly high until the Falcons game when they all began getting hurt.

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t understand why so many people seem so angry that the team is 6-3.

The only thing that makes me angry, and angry is too strong a word the right word is frustrated, is how fans are constantly pimping Alex Smith for the 6-3 record. To ignore all the other factors that go into a season such as the play of the defense the kicker, Adrian Peterson, Tampa Bay's multiple screw ups in the red zone, Aaron Rodger's injury and so much more is pure ignorance.  As is the injury excuse pointed out above. This has been a season long problem, started the very first week.  People need to stop giving Alex Smith a pass and crediting him for the team's record, it's just stupid. 

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The only thing that makes me angry, and angry is too strong a word the right word is frustrated, is how fans are constantly pimping Alex Smith for the 6-3 record. To ignore all the other factors that go into a season such as the play of the defense the kicker, Adrian Peterson, Tampa Bay's multiple screw ups in the red zone, Aaron Rodger's injury and so much more is pure ignorance.  As is the injury excuse pointed out above. This has been a season long problem, started the very first week.  People need to stop giving Alex Smith a pass and crediting him for the team's record, it's just stupid. 

Who in the world is pimping Alex for the 6-3 record or giving him a pass? Even his 'defenders' arent praising his play like hes even a middle of the pack QB. He needs to get the passing game going if we want to get and make a run in the playoffs. Without that its not happening. The defense, special teams, running game, and lack of turnovers are why we are 6-3. If the passing game was effective we would be at least 7-2 and for sure locking down the division in the next few weeks. I see people hoping he plays better, but appreciate his protecting the ball isnt pimping him.

Compare the other teams starting field position this year to the last couple of years. The number of times that the opposing offense started with the ball in our territory this year versus the last couple is night and day and that comes from turnovers. We can appreciate the difference not turning the ball over has made and still think he needs to play much better throwing the ball so we can put up points.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But he is a part of why the team is 6-3. Hes also part of why the team isn’t 4-5 or 3-6. He’s also part of why the team isn’t 7-2 or 8-1. I mean, I get the sentiment that he hasn’t played well. I also get the sentiment that his lack of turnovers have given us some opportunities. He’s also taken opportunities because he’s not getting the ball down the field into playmakers hands.

But the fact remains, no matter the reason... the team is 6-3.

7 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Who in the world is pimping Alex for the 6-3 record or giving him a pass? Even his 'defenders' arent praising his play like hes even a middle of the pack QB. He needs to get the passing game going if we want to get and make a run in the playoffs. Without that its not happening. The defense, special teams, running game, and lack of turnovers are why we are 6-3. If the passing game was effective we would be at least 7-2 and for sure locking down the division in the next few weeks. I see people hoping he plays better, but appreciate his protecting the ball isnt pimping him.

Compare the other teams starting field position this year to the last couple of years. The number of times that the opposing offense started with the ball in our territory this year versus the last couple is night and day and that comes from turnovers. We can appreciate the difference not turning the ball over has made and still think he needs to play much better throwing the ball so we can put up points.

Right. There is a very vocal contingent that is doing exactly that. How Alex's play is "perfect" for the team, his "intangibles", how important not creating turnovers is (and how having a bunch of points, somehow isn't) and so on. And what's funny is that you're doing the exact same thing in your own post. Ironic.

And then you actual do have people here saying how much of a 'winner" Alex is, based sole on this team's record, both here and elsewhere. So let's not act that it's not going on. It is.

Turnovers are important. But also adding to the change in field position is a better defense and better special teams. It's not the reason we are 6-3. It's part of the reason. We are also creating more turnovers. We are a much better team defensively. We a much better running team with AP. We have been much better on special teams. We have been worse passing team.

The issue is that turnovers are not the only thing that's important, and are being touted as such. And it gets old. Because AS supporters only that have to hang their hat on right now.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But he is a part of why the team is 6-3. Hes also part of why the team isn’t 4-5 or 3-6. He’s also part of why the team isn’t 7-2 or 8-1. I mean, I get the sentiment that he hasn’t played well. I also get the sentiment that his lack of turnovers have given us some opportunities. He’s also taken opportunities because he’s not getting the ball down the field into playmakers hands.

But the fact remains, no matter the reason... the team is 6-3.

Right, so let's not call a QB that is not playing well a winner because of the team's record.

Let's not make the team record a QB stat.

Let's not give all the credit to the QB for the turnover ratio, when the D is getting significantly more than last year.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Right, so let's not call a QB that is not playing well a winner because of the team's record.

Let's not make the team record a QB stat.

Let's not give all the credit to the QB for the turnover ratio, when the D is getting significantly more than last year.

Speaking for myself... I haven’t done any of those things. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Speaking for myself... I haven’t done any of those things. 

No, you have not.

But there is a very loud contingent that does. And you're fine with not acknowledging it, and acting like it's not going on. And then wonder why people talk about it and say, "hey why are people so angry about a 6-3 team?"

They aren't. They are irritated with people that like to give the QB all the credit for the record and use 1 stat as their defense.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No, you have not.

But there is a very loud contingent that does. And you're fine with not acknowledging it, and acting like it's not going on. And then wonder why people talk about it and say, "hey why are people so angry about a 6-3 team?"

They aren't. They are irritated with people that like to give the QB all the credit for the record and use 1 stat as their defense.

I really haven’t seen it. People keep saying I’m ignoring things/not acknowledging them but I’m over here thinking there’s a lot of people reading wayyyyy too far into things *shrug*

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

A 6-3 Captain Checkdown seems prudent but 6-10 Captain Checkdown would be putrid.  So just win baby!

6-10 is impossible.  All he does is win.   Most of his SF career notwithstanding.  ?

But seriously, tomorrow is a huge game.  If they win I think they ultimately take the division. It feels like a swing game because if they win they still have a 2 game lead and can lose to Dallas and stay on top.   If not, especially if Dallas wins, its likely going to be a week of angst leading to the Thanksgiving game. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But seriously, tomorrow is a huge game.  If they win I think they ultimately take the division.

Agree, tomorrow is a massive game. 

Whilst everything else suggests otherwise, I'm still hedging my bets Smith fits what we are after. This game, plus Thanksgiving, may well dictate a whole lot more than just the next 2 weeks of football......

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t understand why so many people seem so angry that the team is 6-3.

I don't think this is really a fair statement. I don't think any fan here is angry that the team is 6-3. And I wouldn't even call it anger so much as frustration. We see what the offense and Smith go out there and do every week and it's frustrating, because the defense and ST are both playing really well. We barely get enough points to beat crappy teams and have to hope that the defense holds their offense and/or that they make mistakes.

Any time the defense has issues or an offense game plans against them well and racks up some points, we pretty much know that we've lost because our offense simply doesn't score many points and isn't a team that's going to mount much of a comeback. You can only hope to win so many games by barely eking out a thin victory. 

It's frustrating because if we had an offense that produced at just a "decent" level, we'd probably be legit contenders. At this point I just don't see us as anything near that, and the main reason is because of how ineffective, predictable, and anemic the offense is. And IMO the biggest driver behind that is Smith, with Gruden's play calling being second..

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

6-10 is impossible.  All he does is win.   Most of his SF career notwithstanding.  ?

But seriously, tomorrow is a huge game.  If they win I think they ultimately take the division. It feels like a swing game because if they win they still have a 2 game lead and can lose to Dallas and stay on top.   If not, especially if Dallas wins, its likely going to be a week of angst leading to the Thanksgiving game. 

I think we are going to see 10-6 and a division title and ES posters are gonna whine and carp until the finale and beyond...

Archived