Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

2 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

Does Smith retire at his age with an injury like this?

Retiring immediately would mean giving back $21.6M in signing bonus, missing out on $15M of fully guaranteed 2019 salary, and missing $16M of semi-guaranteed 2020 salary.

Total $52,600,000

Or he can rehab on our dime.

What would you do?

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was impressed with how well he seemed to handle that pain.  

Yeah man. Me too. I had that injury and it hurts like a ****. It isnt that bad when your sitting still. But as soon as you move at all it is excruciating. And you can feel the bone fragments clicking inside your leg. It really is a nasty thing to have to go through.

1 minute ago, ClaytoAli said:

Keep telling yourself that.

Stop acting like he was benched for a political movement.  He was benched well before that because he isn't good.  He played the college RO offense well, but then the league caught up and shut that down.  The one trick pony was done at that point.  He was benched for Gabbert for the love of Pete.

Certainly not a Smith fan thus far into his Redskins career, but I will say he is a class act.  A good dude.  And this sucks.

Covering the game for ES, I was in the end zone they were driving towards and saw him go down.  Couldn't see much else with everyone in the way, but I heard an engine fire up from behind me under the bleachers and figured that was the cart on the way out to get him.  

But what struck me the most is how the players reacted.  The way the Skins looked on the sidelines, the way they knelt.  And then the way JJ Watt and the Texans came to offer condolences to him after he got on the cart, you can just tell that everyone respects him and likes him and that counts for a lot.  

I don't really know what else to say other than this is really sad.  Guy was winning games and definitely has his teammates respect.  

Theismann said it's exactly the same injury as his.

My question to the medical experts is, has anything in the medical field changed whether players can recover from broken legs better than Theismann did ?

Alex Smith just tweeted he expects to be back in time for the season opener next year, but that could be just optimism.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Theismann said it's exactly the same injury as his.

My question to the medical experts is, has anything in the medical field changed whether players can recover from broken legs better than Theismann did ?

Alex Smith just tweeted he expects to be back in time for the season opener next year, but that could be just optimism.

Fox News just said that it's actually exactly 33 years to the day that Theiman got hurt.....same exact manner too.  WTF is with this team,  is it really cursed??? 

Just now, srtman04 said:

Fox News just said that it's actually exactly 33 years to the day that Theiman got hurt.....same exact manner too.  WTF is with this team,  is it really cursed??? 

Yea, crazy.

What would be even weirder is if they found some special significance in the number 33.

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So we have to prepare for an offsteason of RG3 quotes 

Hey I was totally joking about that tweet, to see if anyone would catch on and was paying attention - because Alex Smith does not even have or use a Twitter account ?

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just in case anyone was buying that retirement idea, no dice. 

I wouldn't say that quite yet.  A guy a few hours after surgery is in no state of mind never mind taken the time to contemplate what is going on and what to expect. 

Plus, I don't buy it any way.  He has a lot of rehabbing to do.  This wasn't a typical break, so it is very doubtful he'll be ready this time next year, never mind in time to start the season.  On top of that, I don't think he uses Twitter.

EDIT - I should have read below this post.  I see I had good reason to not buy it.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Retiring immediately would mean giving back $21.6M in signing bonus, missing out on $15M of fully guaranteed 2019 salary, and missing $16M of semi-guaranteed 2020 salary.

Total $52,600,000

Or he can rehab on our dime.

What would you do?

I think if we cut him he’d only see the bonus. The salaries are only guranteeed by being on the roster. That being said he’s going to try to come back and he’s still going to **** up our salary cap for two years as a result. Thanks Bruce.

5 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

The salaries are only guranteeed by being on the roster.

Nope.  His 2019 salary is guaranteed because the contract Bruce signed says it's guaranteed. The contract also says his 2020 salary becomes guaranteed in March (that is, before anything happens in 2019)..

Archived