Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

If Albert Wilson is a player getting noticed in free agency you know this is a clear sign that this is a terrible free agency class.

Time to re-sign all our free agents and put the money there and forget the Albert Wilsons of the world lol

Not knowing what I'm talking about, I remember a lot of people sort of ho hum about the Pierre Garcon signing. They figured he was a second or third banana that only looked good at all because of Peyton Manning. Sometimes, it's good to look at the second tier receiver ready to break out if he just got the opportunities not available on his former team.

7 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I've seen a lot of Cobb (wife is a Packer fan) and he has been pedestrian the last two years. He's been nicked up a bit too...but I think he has lost a step.  Just a slot WR now.  Good dude and still decent WR but I don't know if he fits in DC.

Spot on observation. Happened to have him on my fantasy team his first three years and just manged to keep track of him. I don't think at this point he's better than Crowder. Even taking into consideration the injuries he still had Rodgers throwing him the ball and Jordy on the outside. Adams as of late. That's enough talent outside that he should have been able to put up better numbers.

I can't believe how much the Redskins have changed in how they plan for free agency, we have gone from knowing who we were signing at the pro-bowl (London Fletcher, etc,) to being 2 weeks before FA and still not even any rumours of any possible signings, a breath of fresh air in my opinion. 

HTTR 

I'm loving the approach of letting their players test the market. None of our guys are studs but can be contributors. Good way to see if they are going to get overpaid or in some cases get way less than they thought they were worth. I just hope we don't do the opposite and overpay for someone else's trash. Time will tell very shortly.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

I'm loving the approach of letting their players test the market. None of our guys are studs but can be contributors. Good way to see if they are going to get overpaid or in some cases get way less than they thought they were worth. I just hope we don't do the opposite and overpay for someone else's trash. Time will tell very shortly.

Zack Brown is the only one i don’t want to see hit FA. I know he has flaws in the passing game, but he’s a tackling machime: something the rest of the defense doesn’t do.

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

It’s not a terrible plan dependent on the tone of the negotiations.  For example, if Zach Brown is dead set on 10M and free agency, and the team is certain he won’t get it - it’s fine to let him find out for himself.  But they also have to foster a positive relationship with his agent to assure that if all things are equal $ wise, he will choose Washington.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not a terrible plan dependent on the tone of the negotiations.  For example, if Zach Brown is dead set on 10M and free agency, and the team is certain he won’t get it - it’s fine to let him find out for himself.  But they also have to foster a positive relationship with his agent to assure that if all things are equal $ wise, he will choose Washington.

Totally agree with this. I think the difficult part is explaining to him that you want him back without offending him by not offering him top 3 ILB money. By telling him he can test free agency, you are essentially telling him we don’t know what your worth, but it’s not 10 mil. With how competitive these guys are, I could see how he could very easily be offended by that and jump ship if given another offer rather than letting us match it. Keeping that positive relationship is probably very difficult in these situations. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35785/is-bruce-allens-seat-hot-his-record-suggests-it-should-be

Keim: Most of the time I think they’d work through the draft just because it would enable them to spend elsewhere -- and it’s a deep draft at running back. They’re well aware of that.

But there are intriguing free agent options. I’ve dropped his name before, but I know how much they like Isaiah Crowell, a guy who can help in the pass game as well. Jay Gruden mentioned wanting a "banger." Crowell runs with good power and has some explosiveness. I don’t know if they’ll pursue him -- would they want to spend, say, $5 million per year to sign him? He's available and would help, but with a good running back group in the draft, the question comes down to cost. And there's another twist in there: picking a running back at 13 would be too high (Saquon Barkley will be long gone), but there could be a run on backs before they pick again in the second round.

I meant to post this in the draft thread but guess relevant too to FA as for RB.

Wonder if this is just him guessing based on Doug's interview

Sources with the Redskins think they are in a good position to trade down in the first round. They also like a group of running backs in the second round http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress 

The reason I'd wait out the market on ZB if I were the Skins is that this FA class is fairly deep at ILB. Avery Williamson and Demario Davis could both be long term above average starters. Jerrell Freeman and Derrick Johnson could both give us short term help

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Zach Brown hits free agency, he's not coming back.  This will be about money, and he's worth it.  We're becoming cheap, and that's not always a good thing.  That's a hole we don't need right now.

the thing about Brown was his prove it season showed he was good where people knew he was good and weak where they knew he was weak.  The people who didn't want him still won't, and the offers will probably be the same plus the seasonal inflation that always happens

6 hours ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

Totally agree with this. I think the difficult part is explaining to him that you want him back without offending him by not offering him top 3 ILB money. By telling him he can test free agency, you are essentially telling him we don’t know what your worth, but it’s not 10 mil. With how competitive these guys are, I could see how he could very easily be offended by that and jump ship if given another offer rather than letting us match it. Keeping that positive relationship is probably very difficult in these situations. 

If cap space weren’t an issue, we’d be happy to pay top 3 money to keep you.  We have some really tough decisions to make though.  We hope you’ll give us a chance to match any offer you get on the market.  

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Zach Brown hits free agency, he's not coming back.  This will be about money, and he's worth it.  We're becoming cheap, and that's not always a good thing.  That's a hole we don't need right now.

I love ZB, I think almost every single one of us do. But he was a free agent last year and had to settle on a 1 year prove it deal with us. I believe it was a good marriage, where both appreciate each other. He is one heckuva tackling machine but he does have some holes in his game. I don't believe that anyone will offer him top 3 money, but I feel that a long term 3-4 year top 7 deal (5-7m/yr) would be a good fit for all involved.

5 hours ago, method man said:

The reason I'd wait out the market on ZB if I were the Skins is that this FA class is fairly deep at ILB. Avery Williamson and Demario Davis could both be long term above average starters. Jerrell Freeman and Derrick Johnson could both give us short term help

The kid from GA could be there at 13, I think that's a possibility as well.

On another note.

How does 6-8 345lb Orlando Brown only push up 14 reps on the bench, what a huge red flag for any team needing a tackle.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The kid from GA could be there at 13, I think that's a possibility as well.

On another note.

How does 6-8 345lb Orlando Brown only push up 14 reps on the bench, what a huge red flag for any team needing a tackle.

Vinny Cerrato can fix him.

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keep ears/eyes out on Sheldon Richardson and Bennie Logan.  They could be possibilities.  

Yeah...feel like Tampa (Florida benefit) and the fact he wants to stay in the South will be the major pull. Now Poe goes within the division to face the Falcons. Think it's a done deal. 

Still feel Bennie Logan is the best fit. 

I just read Standig's article in their new subscription based thing.  2 nuggets that stood out.  Redskins sniffing and have interest in Jarvis Landry but aren't the front runner for him.  They are monitoring the potential market for Paul Richardson.

As for the word "monitoring" I hope that doesn't mean bargain sniffing.  In concept, bargains are cool but as many purport this is a thin FA crop for WR and I don't want them picking through the scraps.   

Archived