Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

51 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The future of Honey Badger is in question during business season on the NFL calendar because, like many players, he has a key option in his contract coming up. Unlike others who could hit free agency, however, Mathieu is young, coming off a season where he led the league in total snaps and could be willing to bet on himself if the Cardinals choose not to pick up an option that guarantees him $19 million over the next two seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918166/article/debrief-tyrann-mathieu-arizona-cardinals-heading-for-divorce

He's close to Swearinger.  Be interesting. Judging by Doug's comments, a nickel guy is likely on their shopping list.

I listened to Doug's interview initially, now I just watched it.  My take on it relating to personnel.

They likely let Breeland go.  To me he danced around that one, suggested interest but struck me lukewarm especially when he hyped they are fine at outside corner with Dunbar, Moreau

Nickel corner addressed in FA or the draft

They LOVE the Rbs in the draft (I agree with them on that) so wonder about whether they go FA, too.

They want an outside receiver who can scare a defense

I thought it was interesting that they lobbied a softball for Doug to complement the running backs in house and he didn't take it, just said nice things about Thompson.  When the receivers were brought up on the other hand, Doug complemented Doctson's potential and said Crowder didn't have the year they hoped but came on strong at the end. 

They want FA to set the market for their FAs -- they assume everything being equal the players will sign here.

He showed some interest in Trent Murphy.

Zach Brown -- had a line about its not a negotiation when you don't get a counter offer

They badly wanted to upgrade RB and D line.  Run the ball and stop the run. 

Shopping list:  RB, WR, D line, nickel corner

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It's somewhat comforting to hear Doug acknowledge just about every deficiency we have, I like what he said, hopefully we can execute.

Especially running back for me.  As I said earlier today, I like Jay but don't get the I love Robert Kelley comments from last off season.  To me Kelley's a Jag.    I had concerns about that. 

Keim though did say last weekend RB is hot on their to do list.  He clearly is correct.  The two who weren't correct on this:  Tandler and Standig.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Im instantly thinking Talib or Sanders..not saying either is a good thing, but just saying I wouldn't count it out. 

I wouldn’t either.  Would be pretty funny if we took Talib’s salary which then allowed them to sign Cousins.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would be killer, good. I'd be stunned.  Heck I'd be stunned-happy if its a 4th rounder.   Typically a player (unless they are studs) loses trade value from where they were picked let alone a player where there are questions about whether they will stick to playing football.

Completely agree.  I mean, yes, he has potential/talent and 2 years left on a rookie deal, but I’m right there with you - anything better than a 5th would be shocking (especially given the talent in the mid part of the draft).  My guess is a conditional 7th that could go up to 5th, or a 7th plus a conditional pick.  

Also, I like Doug’s comments, thanks (as always) for sharing.  

Glad we’re still thinking about Murphy and are looking at receiver, back and dline.  Still think we should take it easy on receivers in FA.  Market’s pretty thin, IMO.  Unfortunate that the position isn’t great in the draft either, though I like Kirk, Washington, Moore and Gallup.  

Glad they like the rb talent in the draft... Gruden’s comments about being happy with our backs (and the interest in Crowell) had me a bit concerned we’d once again forego a strong runningback class.  

I’m torn on Brown.  On one hand, no way do I want to pay him that much (and think we could find a solid starter for around half the price).  On the other hand, the guy is a stud vs the run (and can rush well too).  I hate to downgrade there when we already have problems stopping the run.  Part of me says we can make up the monetary difference by re-signing Murphy instead of Galette.  

42 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Zach Brown was a bargain last year but his desire to be near the highest paid MLB in the NFL is concerning.  He is going to test the market and may find some suitors but I doubt he is offered more than $6 million/year over the next 4 years which I would certainly match if I were a member of the FO.  I am beginning to wonder if ILB should be addressed thru the draft because this years free agent ILB pool is incredibly thin.  Martrell Spaight should continue as the backup due to his size and history with injuries.  

17 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Preston Brown has expressed his desire to sign with NE so he may be a tough get:

“I think I can definitely help the young guys they have,” Brown said. “They’ve got some good young talent at linebacker. They run pretty well. I know (David) Harris retired. A lot of young guys were playing well, (Kyle) Van Noy and (Elandon Roberts) played well. They definitely have some things they can work on like we all do, but I think I can help that defense get better. “

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2018/02/lb_preston_brown_open_to_being_next_bills_player_to_leave_for_patriots

26 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

The FO has to address NT in free agency if their plan is to draft Roquan Smith at 13.  As soon as free agency begins, Snyder and Allen should step off Redskins One to visit DT Dontari Poe.  There is a strong possibility Roquan Smith may not be available at #13 but any further discussion on this should be in the 2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread to avoid derailing the thread.

12 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Wilkerson has been team suspended multiple times, misses meetings and so on.

I say no flipping way! 

As a Jets fan, stay far away from Wilkerson. When he was on his rookie deal he was a beast, once he got paid he gave up. NY fans have gotten really sour on him, I'd make a very strong comparison to Haynesworth. Wilkerson benefited from the Jets tight cap situation in 2016 and the need to sign a QB. By signing him to his long term deal it allowed us to free up cap space and sign Fitz to make one more run, unfortunately the wheels came off. Luckily we had Richardson, who was having legal issues at the time so Macc built in the escape hatch after 2 years so we could let that situation unfold before really committing long term to one of those 2. I don't think our intention was to keep him longer than those 2 years, it always felt like Sheldon was king compared to Mo. There are some rumors a reunion is on the minds of both parties as well. 

My guess is Mo will go to NE like all former Jets do. I'd avoid him like the plague though.

9 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

The FO has to address NT in free agency if their plan is to draft Roquan Smith at 13.  As soon as free agency begins, Snyder and Allen should step off Redskins One to visit DT Dontari Poe.  There is a strong possibility Roquan Smith may not be available at #13 but any further discussion on this should be in the 2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread to avoid derailing the thread.

Agree, I just put it in here in relation to the ZB discussion and plans for LBers in general.....

From 247sports.com via PFF:

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Pro-Football-Focus-names-ideal-free-agent-for-the-Redskins-115657683

Pro Football Focus names ideal free agent for the Redskins

The face may not be the same, but Washington Redskins fans will recognize the name. That's because it's one that's shared with a soon-to-be former player who was quickly becoming a fan favorite.

After the Redskins announced that they had dealt Kendall Fuller to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for Alex Smith, many a glance at the roster showed that a position of strength was suddenly a weakness. Fuller is gone, Bashaud Breeland is a free agent and even Josh Norman 's future is somewhat in question. Thankfully, a solution could be just around the corner(no pun intended).

Writing for ESPN.com, the stat gurus at Pro Football Focus identified the ideal free agent for the Redskins this offseason. While offensive line and inside linebacker remain major needs, it's Kyle Fuller -- Kendall's older brother -- who gets the nod as his sibling's replacement.

"The Redskins traded one Fuller brother to Kansas City, so they can look to fill that void by signing another," PFF said. "Fuller allowed a completion percentage of only 51.3 into his coverage last season, 17th in the NFL. Fuller also excelled at making plays on the ball and led the league with 17 pass breakups. The Redskins could use that type of playmaker in their secondary."

Adding that type of experience and productivity would be of great benefit to the secondary, and at 26 years old, he's just beginning to enter the prime years of his career. It would be a savvy move, and one that would likely pay immediate dividends. Pro Football Focus even offered a backup solution should Plan A not materialize: Cardinals cornerback Tramon Williams.

"After a career year, Williams is the second-highest-graded available free agent at the position, making him an intriguing one-year option in Washington," they said.

We'll take both, please.

So Kendall gone and Kyle in?

it's a business, sure, but that doesn't mean brothers don't talk to each other. No way in hell Kyle Fuller comes here after Kendall found out on Twitter he had been traded...

... and it's a shame because Kyle and Kendall together would have been sick and Kyle was originally my #1 FA target if we let Breeland walk.

16 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

it's a business, sure, but that doesn't mean brothers don't talk to each other. No way in hell Kyle Fuller comes here after Kendall found out on Twitter he had been traded...

... and it's a shame because Kyle and Kendall together would have been sick and Kyle was originally my #1 FA target if we let Breeland walk.

this is not some repeated issue on Redskins trades.  It's entirely possible the Skins were waiting to make sure things were completely set before letting him know.  Trades do fall through

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Especially running back for me.  As I said earlier today, I like Jay but don't get the I love Robert Kelley comments from last off season.  To me Kelley's a Jag.    I had concerns about that. 

Keim though did say last weekend RB is hot on their to do list.  He clearly is correct.  The two who weren't correct on this:  Tandler and Standig.

I think Jay likes Kelley mostly because he's good at blocking and picking up blitzes. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

1. This happens a lot. Things get leaked to the media quite often before they are finalized and players find out on twitter.

2. Kendall has no problem with the Redskins front office/coaches. He had an interview on Schefter's podcast 2 weeks ago. You should check it out. He talks about the night he found out about the trade and the discussions he had with the staff to follow.

7 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I think Jay like Kelley mostly because he's good at blocking and picking up blitzes. 

Jay praises all of the players that he feels are solid contributors, but don't typically get high praise in the media. I don't think it causes the team to limit who they target when they are bringing in more talent.

13 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

We need two TEs, one blocking and one to replace Reed. Reed needs to retire for his brain health and can't be relied upon to stay on the field. I really like him and his style of play, I just think it's time to go.

I have some hopes for Sprinkle, but I don’t really see him as a receiving weapon.  Think we need to add a well rounded guy that can make a difference as a blocker and receiver.  Take one this year in the 4th or so, and maybe another next year.  Keep Reed and Davis, and then look to move on from them next year as the rookie develops.  

8 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I think Jay likes Kelley mostly because he's good at blocking and picking up blitzes. 

I agree with this, and I’ll add that Kelley broke a lot of tackles behind the LOS.  With our poor blocking, that is/was a valuable trait.  

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s about 30-40% cheaper than what we’re hearing he wants and lower than what we’re hearing is already on the table.  Not saying you’re wrong, but where did that come from?

Sorry I forgot "more"

I'm curious if any of you guys that are so high on Kyle Fuller have actually watched very much of him in Chicago?  He had one very good year (2017), missed one entire season to a knee injury (2016), and had a terrible season in which he was benched during a game (2015), and an uneven season (2014-rookie) where he started hot and then regressed as the season continued.  

I'm not saying that he couldn't have turned a corner (no pun intended) in his development but it was a contract year and he hasn't been a consistent player.

To me he is a wash with Breeland.

Archived