Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Looking at the CB class, it's loaded. I doubt Breeland gets big money after the first 3-4 CB's are taken. I have to think we go after one of them and likely cut Norman in next year or 2 to free up some space for this signing. 

30 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Looking at the CB class, it's loaded. I doubt Breeland gets big money after the first 3-4 CB's are taken. I have to think we go after one of them and likely cut Norman in next year or 2 to free up some space for this signing. 

Yeah, three wildcards looking at the future (as opposed to next year only) are OLB, TE and corner.  Anderson might not pan out (and we may lose Murphy and Galette), and then Norman and Reed are contracts that we might want to get out of next offseason.  

Craig Hoffman doubled down on Standig's drill on Paul Richardson saying he thinks that's a target.

JP Finlay said a little while ago he heard they like Allen Robinson and he also thinks they will start this FA season differently than before -- in other words, aggressive.

Listened to a podcast with Finlay and Keim.  They speculated that they might be aggressive in FA at WR and maybe RB.  And if so they'd turn to defense in the draft.   However, Keim questioned RB at FA in his ESPN column considering the depth in the draft.  So that's a bit of a mixed message.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Craig Hoffman doubled down on Standig's drill on Paul Richardson saying he thinks that's a target.

JP Finlay said a little while ago he heard they like Allen Robinson and he also thinks they will start this FA season differently than before -- in other words, aggressive.

Listened to a podcast with Finlay and Keim.  They speculated that they might be aggressive in FA at WR and maybe RB.  And if so they'd turn to defense in the draft.   However, Keim questioned RB at FA in his ESPN column considering the depth in the draft.  So that's a bit of a mixed message.

I see us drafting offense the first few picks when we need DL/LB/S. I just have that sick feeling 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope we do go all in at WR and RB. Couple of wideouts and a back. Plus we need to draft one of these backs, it's a great crop of prospects. Outside of CT25, I can happily move on from the rest of the backs we have.

12 minutes ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

I see us drafting offense the first few picks when we need DL/LB/S. I just have that sick feeling 

I don't care how they do it personnaly

FA, Poe, resign Zach Brown,S. Richardson, sign a corner, or whatever

Draft:  Trade down -- D. Moore, Kirk, Ridley, Michel, Guice, Penny, Wynn or whatever? 

or the reverse

FA:  Crowell, Richardson, Robinson, etc.

Draft: Payne, Vea, etc.

I can see it working either way.  The key for me is impact guys in FA -- not 3rd tier guy but high 2nd tier, first tier types.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I hope we do go all in at WR and RB. Couple of wideouts and a back. Plus we need to draft one of these backs, it's a great crop of prospects. Outside of CT25, I can happily move on from the rest of the backs we have.

I am big in the draft for RB.  For me though I am so gun shy about how they will approach FA, that I'd celebrate almost any signing if they are high level players.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am big in the draft for RB.  For me though I am so gun shy about how they will approach FA, that I'd celebrate almost any signing if they are high level players.

I'm now on CB and RB early in the draft. I think we could get a very good combination there with our first two picks. 

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'm now on CB and RB early in the draft. I think we could get a very good combination there with our first two picks. 

I agree.  Even though I like Crowell (don't love him though) he's the one guy I am rooting against them signing in Fa.  I'd hate skipping the top tier running backs in this stacked draft.  I'd be happy if they sign Poe and we take the DT position off the table.  I like Vea and Payne but I am more excited about other positions especially if they can trade down and regain at least the third rounder they lost.

Count me as part of the crew who hopes we steer clear of FA RB. I think that would be a bad allocation of resources with such a deep class and potentially missing out on a game changing player there.

Hope they sign WR, LG, NT, CB and bring Brown back. Target impact defender and RB with top 2 picks.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  Even though I like Crowell (don't love him though) he's the one guy I am rooting against them signing in Fa.  I'd hate skipping the top tier running backs in this stacked draft.  I'd be happy if they sign Poe and we take the DT position off the table.  I like Vea and Payne but I am more excited about other positions especially if they can trade down and regain at least the third rounder they lost.

Wrong thread I guess but a damn good CB could be sat at #13. Norman's contract is on a short leash. Then I could see us jumping on a RB either in the second or we trade back up a little bit into the bottom of the first.

1 minute ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Target impact defender and RB with top 2 picks

Amen, I would still love to bring in Logan or Poe even if we do take a D lineman with our 1st pick.

We talk a lot about not having a franchise QB in years but we haven't had an imposing D line in 30 years.

I'm not thrilled by the FA running backs, so put me down for drafting an RB in Round 2 (Guice, Michel, Jones, Penny, Chubb - at least one of those will be available when we pick). Since I'm against spending the money on Norvell, I see us taking a guard with an early day 3 pick, unless Nelson is available by miracle in the first round.  I find good depth in the draft at WR, CB, and S.  The value/need match for our first round pick is likely to be at ILB or DT, but I'm afraid Smith and Edmunds will be gone by pick 13.  So, I'm for signing ZB.  I'd also be interested in Paul Richardson or Donte Moncrief since wide receivers often take longer to develop. 

Daniel Jeremiah is an ex-scout and he said Vea is a better player than Ngata was coming out of college, not sure how great of a scout he was but he's not the only one I've heard say that Vea can be a 3 down player and he has upside when it comes to developing pass rush skills.

Logan is my big FA pick - checks off two boxes - gives us a NT and a 3rd DT.  

Joyner is an intriguing FA too - gives us a good option at FS if Nicholson goes down and addresses the slot corner spot.  

I really like the idea of Josh Jackson - he gives us a successor for Norman, a(nother) starting caliber outside corner and allows Moreau to compete with Holsey in the slot.  On the flip side, I’m not sure he makes the most sense short term.  

If we can address DL and ILB in FA (and maybe even if we don’t), I like the idea of trading back in the 1st.  Go after  Guice, Moore, another dlineman, or maybe even a G.  If we pick up a 2nd/3rd, we have a good shot at Johnson or Penny, a receiver like Gallup, etc.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Robinson should be their prime target at 12:01 am on 3/12.  I'd like to see us sign him first.  :)  Then Bennie Logan.  With his talent we could get the most out of him with Tomsula as DL coach.  Of course I'd like to see us sign Brown before FA starts.

50 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Count me as part of the crew who hopes we steer clear of FA RB. I think that would be a bad allocation of resources with such a deep class and potentially missing out on a game changing player there.

Hope they sign WR, LG, NT, CB and bring Brown back. Target impact defender and RB with top 2 picks.

The only thing is that during my fandom, we have never had success with a RB that we took in the draft higher than round 4 (in fact, you could argue that only Farkas was worth getting picked that high in our history although Baugh was technically a TB until 1945).  Well, Betts did have a 1000+ yard season and Charley Taylor is in the HOF but as a receiver and not a RB.  Meanwhile, you have a guy like Larry Brown taken at the bottom of his draft who beat out a number one pick or Alfred Morris who holds the Redskins record for the most rushing yards in one season.  Round 1-3 fails have include Barrington, McDonald (pick 13 in 1967), Cross (beat out by Brown and did not make the team), Williams (Beathard 2 pick who didn't even make the team), Oliphant (did help us get Byner though), Ervins (was a pretty good COP back), Brooks (did have one really good year but that was it), Hicks (was a decent backup for a couple of years), Betts (was a solid backup with one good year) and Jones (if it weren't for fumble problems, he would be the best of that bunch).  Meanwhile, we have also had huge success with free agent/trade RBs including Riggo, Byner, Allen and Portis.  We've also found great success with backs taken in the 4th or later including Brown, Thomas, Byner (albeit not a direct one), Allen (albeit a FA), Davis and Morris.

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Robinson should be their prime target at 12:01 am on 3/12.  I'd like to see us sign him first.  :)  Then Bennie Logan.  With his talent we could get the most out of him with Tomsula as DL coach.  Of course I'd like to see us sign Brown before FA starts.

I used to love Robinson.  My one fear about him is he was never fast to begin with so how is he going to be post ACL?

I think I am going to hop on that Logan train. As long as his knees look good I think he is whats missing on that D-Line. A NT that can get pressure and push a pocket. Other than that not sure. Norwell is my dream but that wont happen. Another WR is for sure needed but do we break the bank on Robinson or draft one early and get a lower Grant type guy. Decisions decisions.

I don't think I want a Free Agent WR because from what I'm hearing there's not a game changer out there. What this team needs at WR is speed. Crowder is a good/very good slot receiver. Doctson hopefully comes around. I still think Davis, Harris, and the rest of the bums have a chance not to be bums. I think what we need at receiver is located in the draft.

I never liked beeing aggressive in FA but I understand that this team has a QB that they believe can win now. They can get 3 good years out of him and want to give him weapons. 

If we go the slow build route we go nowhere. Three years from now we will then have some nice young pieces but Trent will be at the tail end of his career, same for Kerrigan and we are looking for a new QB. 

I also don't believe the Redskins will ever go for a full rebuild. We are no Browns. We are the team of the American capital, seat of the president with a rich history. There is no room to suck for long. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only issue there is that rookie receivers rarely make an immediate, consistent impact.  Much unlike running backs.  

That's a very real concern. OTOH, I think the best receivers in free agency are probably of the James Thrash variety.

Archived