Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

1. Landry gets force fed the ball every game. That’s the only reason he has his yardage. He’s nowhere near Brown/Hopkins money because he’s a slot WR.

2. Cousins is a mediocre QB. Norman had one good year at CB before Scot chucked ridiculous money at him.

Now run along, fool.

Fool? Okay Mister T lol, I have to admit this exchange has been funny 

Again I’ve not attacked you or ever spoke to you and everything you post  is nonsense.

1. Just because a players getting paid a certain amount of money due to a franchise tag doesn’t mean that’s what he’s worth that every year. Your goofy point about contracts means nothing. This is the NFL, not the league where the best get paid the most. And thank you for once again failing to grasp the simplest of points that I was making and others have before me about overpaying for a good player vs an average guy. Anyway not sure why your so hell bent against Jarvis Landry, I’m not for him either to be honest but if them having very little money in free agency is burning a hole in their pockets rather use it on a good player then some sucky guys. The more guys they sign the more picks they lose.

Not sure where your getting these hot takes - Jarvis sucks, Kirk sucks, Josh sucks - but hey appreciate it

2. I’ve been called a Kirk hater here before and even I admit he’s a good QB. Again pay attention to the point that the best don’t get paid the most in the league. Josh was not some flash in the pan player with only one year of solid play coming in 2015, absolutely nothing could be further from the truth. He’s been damn good since coming here.

Thank you for showing us all what little you know and your opinions. They will be quoted in the future. Cheers ? 

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

1. Landry gets force fed the ball every game. That’s the only reason he has his yardage. He’s nowhere near Brown/Hopkins money because he’s a slot WR.

2. Cousins is a mediocre QB. Norman had one good year at CB before Scot chucked ridiculous money at him.

Now run along, fool.

giphy.gif

Anyone else find it extremely funny that the JogginGod is telling someone to RUN along FOOL....hahhaaa

Improbably hypothetical- Let's say we pull a Packers and sign virtually no one. After losing Kirk, Breeland, Brown, Murphy, Galette, Luavao, Pryor (I know the latter two are worthless), does anyone have a clue where we'd stand with 2019 compensatory picks? The formula is a mystery to me, but I'd have to believe we'd get at least two 3rd rounders.

49 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

WR is the signing I am most interested to see. 

Marqise Lee

Paul Richardson
Donte Moncrief
Sammy Watkins

Moncrief is a name that really grabs my attention... he could be inexpensive because the number arent there, but he's been playing under one of the worst QB capable teams in recent history... 

We shouldbnt be singing 3-4 guys, we should really be signing 2 top players and leave it.  By now we SHOULD have depth and should be able to fill it with later round draft picks.  Sign a top WR, and either re-sign Brown or a top ILB, and leave it.  The only other key player we will be losing from last year would be Breeland, a CB, just because we also lost Fuller.  

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Improbably hypothetical- Let's say we pull a Packers and sign virtually no one. After losing Kirk, Breeland, Brown, Murphy, Galette, Luavao, Pryor (I know the latter two are worthless), does anyone have a clue where we'd stand with 2019 compensatory picks? The formula is a mystery to me, but I'd have to believe we'd get at least two 3rd rounders.

Probably not. Cousins would be worth a third, but any other picks are likely lower rounds and based off of the contracts the players sign. Maybe guys like Brown and Breeland get big money, but guys like Luavao would likely rank a 7th rounder at best. And it's not cumulative either. Meaning if you lose 4 7th round caliber signings, you don't get one 4th rounder. You just get 4 7th rounders

FYI - only 4 players ranked a 3rd rounder last year (Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Russell Okung and Andrew Whitworth).

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Probably not. Cousins would be worth a third, but any other picks are likely lower rounds and based off of the contracts the players sign. Maybe guys like Brown and Breeland get big money, but guys like Luavao would likely rank a 7th rounder at best. And it's not cumulative either. Meaning if you lose 4 7th round caliber signings, you don't get one 4th rounder. You just get 4 7th rounders

Much appreciated. So in this unlikely hypothetical, assuming we only sign camp fodder who don't cancel out any of these guys, we could be looking at four or five comp picks? Here's to hoping that Bree and Brown GET PAID!

My question then becomes what happens when we do sign one or two names. How do they decide the cancel out policy? Say Brown signs a deal for $8M/yr and we sign a guy for $6M/yr. Would that just reduce Brown's potential comp pick from a 4th or so to a 7th? Or would it cancel out say Luavao and Pryor if their contracts combine to $6M/yr, which then we'd still retain Brown's comp pick?

Idk if that made any sense, but I really wish that it wasn't such a guessing game. 

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Much appreciated. So in this unlikely hypothetical, assuming we only sign camp fodder who don't cancel out any of these guys, we could be looking at four or five comp picks? Here's to hoping that Bree and Brown GET PAID!

My question then becomes what happens when we do sign one or two names. How do they decide the cancel out policy? Say Brown signs a deal for $8M/yr and we sign a guy for $6M/yr. Would that just reduce Brown's potential comp pick from a 4th or so to a 7th? Or would it cancel out say Luavao and Pryor if their contracts combine to $6M/yr, which then we'd still retain Brown's comp pick?

Idk if that made any sense, but I really wish that it wasn't such a guessing game. 

So it's a bit complex, but the idea is that every player that signs is given a value based on the size of the contract. Now the problem is knowing what value a player is assigned. It's a secret formula, so no one really knows for sure where the cut-offs are. And the cut-offs shift every year as the salary cap goes up. Cousins would clearly be a 3rd rounder since he'll be paid a lot. But Brown or Breeland would likely be 4th rounders at best. Maybe lower. Anyhow, once you have the assigned value, this is how it work:

(1) If the Redskins sign a player, it will cancel out a player lost of equal value (i.e. if a 5th rounder is signed, it cancels out a 5th rounder lost);

(2) If there is no player of equal value, it will then cancel out the highest-available player lost with a lower round value (i.e. if a 5th rounder is signed, but the Redskins have not lost 5th rounder, then it would cancel out a 6th or 7tth rounder, if available);

(3) If there are no lower round values to cancel out, then it will cancel out a higher round value (i.e. if a 5th rounder is signed, but the Redskins have no 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder lost, then it would cancel out a higher round pick, if available)

So yes, it could cancel out all the picks if the Redskins signed a bunch of players, even crappy players. They will cancel out

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

Based on last year FA and this year’s compensation picks:

3rd - $12+ APY

4th - $8.5 - $12m APY

5th - $6 - $8.5m APY

6th - $4 - 6m APY

7th - $4m APY

so let’s say Brown gets a $7m APY, Breeland $7m APY, Cousins $30m APY, Pryor $6m APY, Gallette $4m APY and all deals were long term deals (4 years or so, longer the better chances of solidifying a pick in that range, if appears). 

3, 5, 5, 6, 7 would be your compensation picks IF you signed nobody. 

Brown and Gallette won’t count against us if we re-sign. Neither would Breeland. But I think we likely sign 2 guys for $7-8m APY so even if Breeland walks, he gets cancelled out. So just Cousins and his 3rd would come back to us in 2019

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Rams use franchise tag today it will be on safety Lamarcus Joyner. WR Sammy Watkins won't get tagged. Team would like to keep both

If we are as aggressive as all the Skins beat reporters are saying we can flush the 3rd round compensation for Cousins down the toilet.  We can however, recover the 3rd round pick we gave up for Smith by trading down in the 1st two rounds of the draft which I expect us to do.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we are as aggressive as all the Skins beat reporters are saying we can flush the 3rd round compensation for Cousins down the toilet.  We can however, recover the 3rd round pick we gave up for Smith by trading down in the 1st two rounds of the draft which I expect us to do.

Cousins hypothetical third rounder would be applied to the 2019 draft, so it wouldn't be taking the place of the Smith third rounder anyway

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just been reading Norwell to the Giants is considered all but done. I would hope we target Jensen from the Ravens, he'd be my top OL target.

Norwell is joining a coach that had him at the Panthers since he was drafted, so no surprise there. I would go after Pugh now who is up there as well as one of the best Guards available, probably would have resigned with the Giants if not for Norwell. Jensen as well would be ideal.

HTTR 

I like the idea of Jonathan Cooper. Former 1st rounder. Has had some decent years just hasn’t lived up to the hype. OTC has him pegged at $3m APY and I think I read Matt Williamson say his best fit would be on an already strong OL. So I think that fits well with us IF we want to be frugal about LG but still bring in a young upgrade 

looks like Richardson and Robinson on their radar screen.  I'd be happy with either one.  Got my doubts they will outbid though the highest bidder. I've been reading about other interest in these guys, too.  D Jax and Norman were unique in that it went down after the hot part of FA was over so the market was more limited.  Other then them, I can't recall winning a bidding war for the higher end of the market.  I hope they make an exception here. 

It's not because I think Robinson and Richardson are top of the market players but because they are top of the market FAs at a need position.  Same argument for any position in FA.  It's rare for the higher end top tier guys to make it to FA.  So you take the best you can.   Janoris Jenkins wasn't a top 5 corner when he was signed by the Giants -- but they paid him like he was because he was on the best on the market. 

Concern about Robinson would be the injury.  For Richardson its the small sample of success.  But beggars can't be choosers.  I think either is likely a needed upgrade.  The runners up for me would be Watkins and then Wallace.  I like Wilson and Gabriel but wonder if they are purely slot guys. 

I don't like John Brown, he's fast but injury history and 30% and change catch ratio, yuck.  Jordan Matthews maybe if he's cheap but he really took a step down in Buffalo. 

In addition to Allen Robinson, another name on Redskins WR target list: Paul Richardson. There are others.

2 hours ago, carex said:

Cousins hypothetical third rounder would be applied to the 2019 draft, so it wouldn't be taking the place of the Smith third rounder anyway

I believe it would what you pick up during 2018 in FA affects what you get for compensation in 2019.  

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

49ers, Bears, Redskins and Jets are among the teams that will make a strong push to sign WR Allen Robinson in free agency. He will have a strong market.

We need to focus on Richardson.  49ers will outbid us all day long and so will the Jets.  When FA opens it will be a frenzy like they say and we could lose out on both.  I'd go Richardson or Wilson, like you've said.  I don't want any more 1 year rentals either.  So tired of that.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Based on last year FA and this year’s compensation picks:

3rd - $12+ APY

4th - $8.5 - $12m APY

5th - $6 - $8.5m APY

6th - $4 - 6m APY

7th - $4m APY

so let’s say Brown gets a $7m APY, Breeland $7m APY, Cousins $30m APY, Pryor $6m APY, Gallette $4m APY and all deals were long term deals (4 years or so, longer the better chances of solidifying a pick in that range, if appears). 

3, 5, 5, 6, 7 would be your compensation picks IF you signed nobody. 

Brown and Gallette won’t count against us if we re-sign. Neither would Breeland. But I think we likely sign 2 guys for $7-8m APY so even if Breeland walks, he gets cancelled out. So just Cousins and his 3rd would come back to us in 2019

Fantastic post. Couple of thoughts

The max number of compensatory picks a team can get in one year is 4. They give you the 4 highest of the picks no one can get 5. 

Breeland is likely to get a 4th round pick based on contract if he leaves. The team should have a 9 million dollar offer on the table for him now to sign, if a team offers him 10 or more then he will leave. Norman cost us 20 last season, that 9 mil isn't even half of Norman's price. I expect another team to give Breeland 10+ a year this season if for no other reason 10 a year puts him at 14th in terms of paid players and there are too many teams out there now with money to burn. So while I want him to stay I don't think that he will because the teams run by a moron who can't seem to keep money from burning a hole in his pocket. 

Some of those numbers besides Breeland like the 4 for Junior should be instant re-signs to me. If I were running this with the 25 million free they have to play with now I'm giving

7 to Brown

9 to Breeland

4 to Junior

And another 3 to Trent Murphy which would put them at 23 million spent with 2 million left over and after doing some shuffling signing Ryan Grant, and Dustin Hopkins as well. Cap money is gone and spent. The Redskins are still going to lose 

Kirk Cousins - Cost 23 on the book last season
Terrelle Pryor - Cost 6 on the book last season
Shawn Lauvao - Cost 4.25  on the book last season
Niles Paul - Cost 2 on the book last season
Will Compton - Cost 1.791 on the book last season

Who I do think will go to other teams if not kept here. Which gives the team a real shot at retaining their best free agents (minus Kirk) and gives them a shot at hitting the 4 additional picks next year even if its 1 third, and 3 sevenths based on contracts.

Once the guys I want to re-sign start going away, then this post of yours should be referenced for what they give up to pick up a free agent. So say they lose Breeland who signs for 10 million a year. If they picked up Allen Robinson who every media outlet is tying to them right now for 14+ then not only did they lose Breeland they also lost a 3rd round pick. Is Allen Robinson worth Breeland and a third round pick? I don't think so considering he's not done anything for the past 4 seasons and just tore his ACL and we have no real idea who this player is. I would personally rather have Breeland and the third.

But everyone should also look at it also like this. Say they lose Breeland who signs for 10 a year, and they go out and sign Paul Richardson for 7 million. The same question still will apply. Is Paul Richardson worth Breeland and a third round pick? Absolutely not, not even remotely close. The fact that more money is on the ledger for loss doesn't matter there. They lost one guy and added another guy. 10 for lost, 7 for added. The NFL would see that as a net loss of 3 million which isn't worth the minimum of a seventh round pick so the Redskins would lose Breeland and a 3rd round pick adding Paul Richardson. Not worth it at all to me. 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

But everyone should also look at it also like this. Say they lose Breeland who signs for 10 a year, and they go out and sign Paul Richardson for 7 million. The same question still will apply. Is Paul Richardson worth Breeland and a third round pick? Absolutely not, not even remotely close. The fact that more money is on the ledger for loss doesn't matter there. They lost one guy and added another guy. 10 for lost, 7 for added. The NFL would see that as a net loss of 3 million which isn't worth the minimum of a seventh round pick so the Redskins would lose Breeland and a 3rd round pick adding Paul Richardson. Not worth it at all to me. 

That doesn't make any sense. There is no scenario where we keep Breeland and still get a 3rd for him, so nothing could "lose us" Breeland and a 3rd.

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

It wouldn't be Richardson OR Breeland and a 3rd. It would be Richardson and no 3rd or Breeland and no 3rd.

Archived