Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

My bad, he is 8.5 mil this year... But, this year would still see significant savings. Norman's cap hit this year is 17, base 13.5. There would be significant savings and that could be applied to Breeland

Subtracting 8 mil and adding 8.5 mil isn't a savings, significant or otherwise.

But the fact that you're saying the Patriots would have to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick without seeing the need to even attempt to explain why the players' trade values would necessitate this makes me think this isn't a serious discussion.

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

My bad, he is 8.5 mil this year... But, this year would still see significant savings. Norman's cap hit this year is 17, base 13.5. There would be significant savings and that could be applied to Breeland

The difference between the base and total is bonus money... which has to be paid upon trade.  So, 13.5 - 4.5 = 8.  So no, no savings moving from Norman to Cooks.  

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Subtracting 8 mil and adding 8.5 mil isn't a savings, significant or otherwise.

But the fact that you're saying the Patriots would have to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick without seeing the need to even attempt to explain why the players' trade values would necessitate this makes me think this isn't a serious discussion.

It's february, why would it be a serious discussion. My friends a Patriots fan and did say Cooks and team not seeing eye to eye. Norman also rumored to be traded there.

I cooked up the rest. 

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The difference between the base and total is bonus money... which has to be paid upon trade.  So, 13.5 - 4.5 = 8.  So no, no savings moving from Norman to Cooks.  

Didn't realize bonus money has to be paid upon trade and count against cap, thanks for info

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Hood and McClain need to go, McClain not worth the money and Hood is jag.

HTTR 

Im still after that major upgrade in the middle. Logan and Poe are 2 of the best out there, although the money could be too steep for us.

I'm sure our new QB could provide sound insight on both players.

1. Replying to @john_keim

I remembered Gruden throwing almost excessive praise at Crowell back in 2016 and went back and found the quotes. I remember a player (think it was RJF) calling him one of the best backs in the league at that time too, but I can't find that quote.

Ricky thought everybody was great. He was so much fun to talk to but there were definitely times when you’d go “wait a second ?

3. I guess a defender would say that about an RB that ran for 120 yards or whatever it was against them. But it sticks out in my mind for some reason. Gave that extra praise when he didn't need too. (might not have been RJF tho, tbf)

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Im still after that major upgrade in the middle. Logan and Poe are 2 of the best out there, although the money could be too steep for us.

I'm sure our new QB could provide sound insight on both players.

Read something that said the d-linemen were complaining that we need to get a real NT and it wasn't fair to Hood to play him there. 

To say Hood is a disappointment at NT would be an upgrade to the truth.  But if he doesn't want to play there I'm not sure he's doing damage anywhere else.

@Skinsinparadise Here it is. Along with Jay's comment from the post game presser:

REDSKINS DE RICKY JEAN FRANCOIS

On the game:

"They gave us everything they had. They ran the ball great, don’t know what the rushing stats were, but they were moving the ball up the field as well as we did. But once we came out and made adjustments, knowing what we had to do against a good Cleveland Browns team, we put the ‘W’ up.”

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On the defense:

“Well, we have to definitely look at ways to stop the run and find out where the holes are, I think. A lot of it has to do with Cleveland, man. [Joel] Bitonio and Joe Thomas had a good running game. [Isaiah] Crowell and Duke Johnson [Jr.] had a good scheme over there, so you’ve got to give credit to them, but then we have to figure out where we’re coming up short. Is it missing tackles at the second level, is it getting off blocks, is it getting pushed back too much on the double teams? We have to figure it out and figure out the answer and try to come up with some solutions. But, we do have to do better, but if you do give up some runs, we have talked about getting the ball out all the time. It’s what we’ve been preaching and Joe Barry and his staff have done a great job with the players about forcing key turnovers in critical times, so today is no different.”

6 hours ago, DC9 said:

Read something that said the d-linemen were complaining that we need to get a real NT and it wasn't fair to Hood to play him there. 

To say Hood is a disappointment at NT would be an upgrade to the truth.  But if he doesn't want to play there I'm not sure he's doing damage anywhere else.

Finlay said it in one of his segments

20 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

NE has 2 second round picks and I would imagine we would go after their later pick. 

After being brainwashed by this board over the years,

I would imagine we would include a 2nd and next years 2nd as a starting point in negotiations. :)

Remember, we never win or break even in any trade :)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Somewhat of a random thought, but I think only half the salary of a player should count against the cap if they are put on IR.

Some players on put on IR without even wanting to go there. 

Understand you point, but this would never fly.  Teams could create cap space for immediate in need signings.  Just my 0.02

12 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Some players on put on IR without even wanting to go there. 

Understand you point, but this would never fly.  Teams could create cap space for immediate in need signings.  Just my 0.02

But that's part of the point. When you lose a player for a year because of a major injury (or fifty players as the Redskins did last year) should that kill the year? I thought half the salary because that might at least reduce the likelihood a bit. 

You're probably right, but it seems to me if you lose a player you ought to have the chance to get a replacement other than at the barest bottom bargain prices. I suppose teams budget for this, but it always seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

But that's part of the point. When you lose a player for a year because of a major injury (or fifty players as the Redskins did last year) should that kill the year? I thought half the salary because that might at least reduce the likelihood a bit. 

You're probably right, but it seems to me if you lose a player you ought to have the chance to get a replacement other than at the barest bottom bargain prices. I suppose teams budget for this, but it always seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

It could work if you had an independent doctor to confirm that the injuries are season ending. 

HTTR 

40 minutes ago, Tay said:

That's a steep asking price for Brown. I wonder if his FA will play out like it did last year, but end with a LTD this year.

Yeah though I doubt he's getting 10 million a year on the open market so I am guessing he ultimately has to settle for less.  Some beat guys said he wants at least 20 million guaranteed. 

Brown may end up swilling around until the realisation sets in that the real big money isn't out their for him. Breeland could find the same situation, so I'm happy to let them test the market.

Both these players may well get more, but either getting more than say 6/7mil per year would be too rich for me. 

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Brown may end up swilling around until the realisation sets in that the real big money isn't out their for him. Breeland could find the same situation, so I'm happy to let them test the market.

Both these players may well get more, but either getting more than say 6/7mil per year would be too rich for me. 

I agree with this.  Frankly though, I don’t want Breeland back.  Moreau and Dunbar are just fine as cbs 1 and 2, and Moreau may well wind up an upgrade over Breeland.  Nothing against Breeland, I just think our money is better off going toward other areas.  

I think Breeland definitely gets more than 6 to 7M per season.

Brown, probably not.  I've been saying all along that while we love him here and want to keep him, MLB's that break the bank are essentially the QB of the defense that can stuff the run, cover & make game changing plays.  He does some of that, but not all of it.

Hopefully Bruce keeps it civil with his agent that way when the market balks at his 10M expectation, he can come back here for 6-7M.

My offer for Brown...3 years for $15 million.
Becomes a 2 yr deal for 11.5M with a probable release and 2M cap hit in 2020.

6 million SB

Year 1 - 2M Guaranteed

Year 2 - 3M Guaranteed for Injury
---Release for a $2M Dead Cap Hit ----

Year 3 - 4M

He probably doesn't take that, but I'd really like to see what other teams think of his value, for a second year.

If I was Bruce, I'd make it seem like it was a great idea for Brown and Breeland to test the market.  Probably a few others too.  I'd tell them to go out, see what deals they can make, but he, we want you back.  So if you get an offer you like, let us know, we might be willing to match it, and even beat it by a little bit.  

I have to say, I'm SHOCKED that they haven't signed Ryan Grant. Gruden loves him, and he knows the offense.  I wonder what the hold up is? Given his agent's, I mean Jay Gruden's, comments in his season wrap-up presser, where he said they needed to do everything they could to bring him back, I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet.  I wonder if it's money or if maybe the FO doesn't think as highly of Grant as Gruden.  

NOTE: I'm not against re-signing Grant.  I think it would be a prudent move to bring him back on a lower-end salary deal as a veteran presence.  But he shouldn't be anything more than a 4th or 5th guy.  They can't go in thinking he is going to be a starter opposite Doctson, that's insanity.  

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

NOTE: I'm not against re-signing Grant.  I think it would be a prudent move to bring him back on a lower-end salary deal as a veteran presence.  But he shouldn't be anything more than a 4th or 5th guy.  They can't go in thinking he is going to be a starter opposite Doctson, that's insanity.  

Keim is usually accurate as to echoing the FO's desires before FA -- last off season he said D line, D line, D line.  This offseason its WR, WR, WR.  so yeah I doubt Jay is sold on Grant as a starter.  The way I see Jay with Grant is similar to Gibbs with Thrash.  Gibbs would gush about Thrash.  I recall doing a call in show once where he took calls (on Redskins Lunch) and I asked him about Thrash -- he goes you asked me about the right guy than went on and on.  Thrash like Grant was a backup but could step in any role in a pinch and understood his blocking assignments.  So for a backup, that's pretty rare.  Coaches dig it.  

It seems like most GMs and coaches have their pet players that don't always make sense to us.  With Scot, clearly it was Matt Jones.  For me with Jay, I never really cared one way or another about Grant.  Grant as far as I can tell hasn't gotten in anyone's way.  My concern is Robert Kelley -- hopefully Jay is over loving him.  I am over Kelley.  I want a new RB bad. :) 

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just heard on the radio that Josiana Anderson on ESPN also said that the Redskins talked to him about something in the range of 7.5 million-9 million per year but Zach insists on 10 for now.

Those figures seem like a really strong offer.

Doug just said they presented an offer to Zach, but haven't heard a response as of yet.

I guess we'll wait until free agency to see if he can get his desired $, or return on the offer we presented.

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have to say, I'm SHOCKED that they haven't signed Ryan Grant. Gruden loves him, and he knows the offense.  I wonder what the hold up is? Given his agent's, I mean Jay Gruden's, comments in his season wrap-up presser, where he said they needed to do everything they could to bring him back, I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet.  I wonder if it's money or if maybe the FO doesn't think as highly of Grant as Gruden.  

I think we're looking for at least 2 new WRs and it seems like WR is a position where we might see a number of cap casualty cuts. Maybe that as we approach FA a few more wideouts are going to hit the market.

Grant may well be on the list to review in time when other business is sorted.

Archived