Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dwayne haskins killed by vehicle

turtle

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

To think you can just wave over speeding cars and trucks while walking on a highway suggests impairment - of logic or of the senses. 

It happened in the early morning so it could have been as simple as a lack of sleep mixed with the stress/anxiety of missing his flight, being stuck on the road, and realizing how crazy people in Florida drive once he started walking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This news was crazy. As it happened, I was in Miami this weekend to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday and I saw this waking up Saturday morning...

The whole story sounds strange. Walking across a highway as cars are swerving to avoid hitting him? The mind goes to some dark possibilities about what he was doing. Not that it matters per se. Him being a football player doesn't really matter, either. NFL player or accountant or whatever, anyone - especially a 24 year old - should not have to go that way. RIP. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

This news was crazy. As it happened, I was in Miami this weekend to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday and I saw this waking up Saturday morning...

The whole story sounds strange. Walking across a highway as cars are swerving to avoid hitting him? The mind goes to some dark possibilities about what he was doing. Not that it matters per se. Him being a football player doesn't really matter, either. NFL player or accountant or whatever, anyone - especially a 24 year old - should not have to go that way. RIP. 

I am in Miami as well...eerie

6 hours ago, Bloodytusk said:

It happened in the early morning so it could have been as simple as a lack of sleep mixed with the stress/anxiety of missing his flight, being stuck on the road, and realizing how crazy people in Florida drive once he started walking.

People in Florida don't drive any crazier than drivers in DMV.  Pretty much anywhere in the civilized world is going to have erratic drivers when there is a person walking across lanes of traffic on a highway.

• Thumb down 1

33 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

People in Florida don't drive any crazier than drivers in DMV.  Pretty much anywhere in the civilized world is going to have erratic drivers when there is a person walking across lanes of traffic on a highway.

Have you driven in Florida? Just visited Miami/Hollywood a month ago, they *most definitely* drive crazier down there.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

11 hours ago, method man said:

I’m on ft lauderdale/Hollywood 

:cheers:

18 hours ago, method man said:

6 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m on ft lauderdale/Hollywood 

:cheers:

Whatever, psychos.

Look forward to seeing the "Florida Man..." news stories about both of you throwing alligators at each other after one of you loses an arm wrestling contest.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 8

On 4/11/2022 at 12:24 PM, Dissident2 said:

You'd have to be in unbelievable mental pain to choose this as a method of suicide. As far as I know, there are no accounts of Dwayne having those issues. 

I agree that there are plenty of examples of people who "seemed totally fine" who suddenly took their lives, so it can't be ruled out at this point I guess, but ... just seems like it's a heckuva reach in this particular case when the most logical conclusion is that he made a bad decision to make it across a busy highway and got hit. Guess we'll just have to wait for more info. 

"..As far as I know, there are no accounts of Dwayne having those issues..."

What I know from personal experience is that you can not judge a person's intentions by their surface presentation to the world.

What follows is more of a personal revelation than a response to Dwayne's particular situation:

I have suffered from periods of what I now know were clinical depression (and occasional periods of mania)  for many, many years .

There's no shame in admitting that.

I was somehow able to both remain highly effective and succesful in my work life, while hiding my true feelings from all but a very select few who could sense when something wasn't quite right with me, including my wife.

To the outside world I could make myself appear to be the proverbial "life of the party", the last guy in the world that you'd think was actually fighting  dark thoughts and even darker actions.

I was saved by my dearly departed wife who gave me an ultimatum with a cast iron frying pan held firmly in her hand-- to either get professional help or leave for good. 

Nowadays, I take medications that help to better balance me-- and they even work most of the time.

And when they don't work I've learned over the years how to use techniques like quiet meditation and systematic desensitization to reduce my anxiety and help control my worst impulses, until those impulses pass into the ether.

I have no idea what series of events led to Dwayne's death and we'll probably never know for certain and maybe that's a good thing.

What I do know is that a terrible tragedy occured and only the universe, if anything, knows what purpose that death served. The rest of us are left to deal with our own struggles as best we can.

Some of us have demons that we fight daily and we have become adept at maintaining an appealing facade to the outside world despite the terrible struggles we face within. 

I was fortunate that I got help before I acted upon my worst impulses. Not everyone is that lucky.

If anyone out there is fighting similar impulses I encourage you to seek professional help and guidance. 

Life is worthy of every effort it demands.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 15
  • Thumb up 5

Glad to hear you’re doing better @CommanderInTheRye. Not to speculate on Dwayne, but I’ll just say despite hearing that there were “no signs” anyone who followed his career in Washington probably wouldn’t be shocked at the idea of him struggling to deal with circumstances or stress or whatever. The guy had a rocky time in the league and apparently took things really personally. It’s such a pressure cooker environment with high stakes - it’s not surprising to me at all that perhaps he struggled with his mental health. Not saying that’s what happened, but it ain’t like the past few years were smooth sailing for the young man. 

He took a lot of flak for his behavior on the field as well as off the field frankly, but nobody wanted anything like this to happen. What an utterly horrible situation and frankly surreal

• Thanks 1

I have a friend that lives close to there we have been friends since kindergarten. His comment was walking across that highway was committing suicide intentionally or not intentionally. The drivers on that road drive 100-120 Mph. 

• Sad 2

This was my 1st and only home game and it was when we were still the Redskins. December 2019. The game against the Giants that secured our #2 pick and Chase Young. Such a fun day. Got to tailgate with the ES crew. Only other games I tailgated with ES was in SF and in San Diego. Yes San Diego use to have a football team lol. RIP Simba. 

Screenshot_20220412-163851_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-163724_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-163632_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-162912_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-162905_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-162840_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-162830_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-162623_Photos.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A local memorial service for Dwayne Haskins will be held at the Bullis High School on April 24th. Time and other details to be announced.

There will also be a visitation on the 22nd at the Allegheny Center Alliance Church in Pittsburgh from 10 t0 11am followed by a memorial service from 11am to 1pm. All are welcome to attend.

There will also be a memorial service on the 23rd in NJ.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

On 4/11/2022 at 11:33 PM, Taylor 36 said:

My wife and I lived in Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola FL for about seven years and they are the worst drivers we've ever encountered.  We talk about it with amazement to this day.

At some point I hope this thread evolves into a good memories thread of Haskins.

I know he doesn't have a lot, but still...

I remember my thread trying to convince us to draft him going haywire, getting closed, and me getting a temp ban for my part in it, but that was a fun ride.

And he had some pretty good memes while he was here:

EDPmZNPXYAAPssU.thumb.jpg.cad211be124928ab43f6177ab5470042.jpg

I wanted him to succeed here bad, man, until i was done. 

So as bad as i feel that he'll never be able to prove in his second chance that the league really did "mess up", I have to part this post with my favorite memory of him:

@Llevron they took his pants, man!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/11/2022 at 11:33 PM, Taylor 36 said:

My CDL truck driver sister who has been to all the lower 48 would vehemently disagree with you.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

My CDL truck driver sister who has been to all the lower 48 would vehemently disagree with you.

I travel a lot for work and lived in 8 different states including MD near DC, DC itself and LA. A golf buddy and I go to Tampa every year for 2 weeks of golf.  And FL by far has the worst and most rude drivers any where.  Living in GA we get a lot of them coming through and they are the worst.  

• Like 2

Ok, so here's my Dwayne Haskins positive vibes photo post...  these three pics were taken at the 2019 Detroit game.  Dwayne's first win as a starter, and yes, the infamous "selfie" game.  My son and I (he was 13 at the time, he is 15 now) had a blast this day.  It's the most recent game we've been able to attend in person (Covid and all, plus we live 3+ hours away from Landover).  Bless my son's heart, despite the utter ****-show this franchise is and has been, he is becoming as die-hard a fan as I've been for 40+ years.  I got him hooked when he was 6 in 2012, the RG3 year, and he still proudly rocks the throwback Griffin jersey that he's wearing here. 

Shameless plug, my son is now making videos on TikTok (yeah, I'm a 50-year old fart now and barely even know what that is, but I love the way he embraces this technology and uses it in a way to honor our once-proud franchise.)   He just posted one earlier this week with some great Haskins highlights from OSU.  If anyone on here is so inclined, take a look at his TikTok page (wascommandersclips).   I'm sure he'd love to see some clicks and comments on the vids.  (Disclaimer:  he uses current hip hop songs for some of the clips so the language is NSFW in a few instances.... kids, what're ya gonna do??)

Anyway,  RIP Dwayne, as a father of two, it is heartbreaking to know that his parents are going to have to bury their child.  You will be missed.

image.jpeg.3ec3bfd6be1aec61d1c392b2f8684d01.jpeg

image.jpeg.d1a2f7ec593a28ee0c8b4ea03c970585.jpeg

image.jpeg.4da82a8833b86fefe2d6235d696567bb.jpeg

Edited by ColonialWBSkinsFan
  • Like 6

On 4/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, tshile said:

I don’t really understand the reactions. People get struck walking down the road all the time for any number of reasons. People riding their bike also get struck all the time. Maybe I’m reading into it too much but it reads like people think there’s some coverup or conspiracy going on. Just seems weird. 

Rip. Sad and too young to die. 

You don't get the difference between walking or riding down a road and trying to cross multiple lanes of 60 MPH highway traffic?  Really?  I certainly hope the story that he ran out of gas is true, that would make it easier to understand.  

I did this once, the way to my school was quickest if I crossed 270.  I could not believe how fast the cars came upon me, didn't try that again.  

5 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Now we have to wonder who the passed-out woman in the disabled car is. Clearly it wasn't his wife. It's almost like Dwayne was trying to get away from the scene ASAP and misjudged the speed of the traffic.

Just speculatin'...

Woman in a car? Where did you hear that? Last I heard, nobody knew of a car along the road that would have belonged to him.

13 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Woman in a car? Where did you hear that? Last I heard, nobody knew of a car along the road that would have belonged to him.

https://www.outkick.com/new-detail-emerges-from-fatal-incident-involving-dwayne-haskins/

According to Fox Sports 640’s Andy Slater, “Dwayne Haskins was traveling in a car with a drunk woman before he walked onto the expressway, multiple sources tell me.”

Slater added that “[t]he woman was passed out in the disabled car” along Florida’s I-595 Highway.

Slater had no official confirmation as to whether the inebriated woman in the vehicle with Haskins that morning was his wife, Kalabrya Haskins.

Nothing is confirmed, however.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1