Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dwayne haskins killed by vehicle

turtle

21 minutes ago, method man said:

At a .24 BAC, it's a miracle no one else was killed. 

With a 0.24, I'm shocked he was able to get out of the car....

Alcohol makes young men do stupid things.  If he'd been getting stoned instead, he'd have been too paranoid to get out of the car. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

So, they slow-walked this to avoid the more intense reputation hit because the part about the woman just came from Slater initially and nowhere else. And even someone drunk who just got off the phone with their wife wouldn't have needed to "look" for gas, they would have called someone or had their wife call. As I said about Lance Briggs---this reminded me of that except instead of just leaving the car he was killed looking for gas. He was looking for gas instead of something else because he knew if he called police he'd be arrested and attention would be on the woman in the car. Getting a DUI could have interfered with his attempt to stay on an NFL roster.

Instead of taking a reputation hit and getting a DUI, he's dead now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of said:

So, they slow-walked this to avoid the more intense reputation hit because the part about the woman just came from Slater initially and nowhere else. And even someone drunk who just got off the phone with their wife wouldn't have needed to "look" for gas, they would have called someone or had their wife call. As I said about Lance Briggs---this reminded me of that except instead of just leaving the car he was killed looking for gas. He was looking for gas instead of something else because he knew if he called police he'd be arrested and attention would be on the woman in the car. Getting a DUI could have interfered with his attempt to stay on an NFL roster.

Instead of taking a reputation hit and getting a DUI, he's dead now.

You hit the nail on the head. Still no explanation on who the woman is, though. Haskins got into a fight with his wife last summer and she knocked one of his teeth out when she busted him in the chops.

I noticed outlets are still referring to Haskins as being "drunk." Sorry, but .24 is three times higher than the legal limit of .08...Haskins was 'sheetfaced'.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

Report: Dwayne Haskins was ‘drinking heavily’ hours before fatal accident

Former Ohio State and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins had been out at a club and drinking “heavily” just hours before he was struck and killed on a Florida highway earlier this year, according to The Miami Herald.

A toxicology report revealed that his blood alcohol content was between .20 and .24 when he died — which is up to three times the legal limit in Florida.

Haskins was killed early on April 9 after a dump truck struck him on Interstate 595 near Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Haskins, officials said, was improperly on the roadway and had entered travel lanes into the path of the truck. He was also reportedly hit by a second car after the first impact, and was found dead at the scene.

Officials have not said why Haskins was trying to cross the highway early that morning. Haskins’ wife called 911 from Pittsburgh that morning, however, and told a dispatcher that he said he was walking to get gas. A Steelers official told the medical examiner’s office that Haskins had gone to dinner and then a club with a friend or his cousin the night before he died. They “drank heavily” there before getting into a fight and separating, the report said, via the Herald.

Haskins’ death was ruled accidental. He was 24.

Haskins was a former Heisman Trophy finalist at Ohio State and was selected by the Washington Commanders with the No. 15 overall pick in 2019. The Steelers then signed him before last season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-dwayne-haskins-was-drinking-heavily-hours-before-fatal-accident-203250128.html

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

Makes sense why he was walking to get gas... as much as any of this actually makes any sense being that it was a senseless tragedy.  As others here have said it is very fortunate he didn't kill someone else along with himself and the girl in his car. .20 or .24 whichever it was is drunk drunk waisted.  Not trying to be disrespectful of the deceased here but Haskins was a very immature individual right up to his demise unfortunately.  

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 1

Former Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins had ketamine and norketamine in his system and a blood alcohol concentration of 0.20 percent — more than double the legal limit — shortly after he died of multiple blunt force injuries, according to the Broward County (Fla.) medical examiner. His death the morning of April 9, when he was struck by a dump truck while walking in traffic on Interstate 595, was determined to be an accident.

According to the investigative report released Monday by the Office of Medical Examiner and Trauma Services, Haskins, 24, was said to be training with his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates April 8, an account bolstered by photos and videos on social media. The players went to dinner, and afterward Haskins was believed to have gone to a club with a friend. Per the report, they “drank heavily” and got in a fight at some point before separating.

Investigators were told Haskins did not use illicit drugs other than marijuana and “would never take any unknown substances” but did drink alcohol, “sometimes heavily.”

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, witnesses began calling about a pedestrian walking in traffic on westbound I-595 at 6:33 a.m. April 9. One witness reported that she saw a Black male dressed in all black on the right shoulder, waving people down. She pulled over and got out to see if he needed help, but by that time he had been struck by the dump truck. The driver of the truck said he had been driving in the darkness (sunrise was at 7:03) when a male pedestrian appeared in the center lane.

Haskins was knocked back a number of feet, then either run over or struck again by a sports-utility vehicle that swerved in an attempt to avoid him. He was pronounced dead on the scene at 6:47.

No other vehicle was located in the vicinity of Haskins’s death, but the FHP later found a vehicle that belonged to Haskins along I-595. A female companion, who had been with him since the previous evening, was inside. The two ran out of gas on the side of the highway, and Haskins, per the report, left on foot to find a gas station around 6:15. The woman remained in the car.

Dispatchers earlier released redacted 911 audio from the morning of Haskins’s death in which his wife pleaded for help locating him. Kalabrya Haskins told the dispatcher from her home in Pittsburgh that Dwayne Haskins was stranded and walking in search of gas. The dispatcher indicated at the time that it was possible Dwayne Haskins was the victim of “an incident” but couldn’t confirm the news to his wife.

Haskins, the 15th pick by Washington in the 2019 NFL draft, was cut late in the 2020 season. The Steelers signed him in January 2021 and retained him on a restricted free agent tender for 2022. After his death, three days of services were held in Pennsylvania, his native New Jersey and Maryland, where he was a standout at Bullis School.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/23/dwayne-haskins-death-accident/

• Sad 1

>>Dwayne Haskins’ widow releases statement

Posted by Charean Williams on May 23, 2022, 7:03 PM EDT
Candlelight Vigil Held for Dwayne Haskins Jr.
Getty Images

After the Broward County Medical Examiner released the finding that Dwayne Haskins’ death was accidental, Haskins’ widow issued a statement.

“Dwayne Haskins Jr. was tragically killed on April, 9, 2022,” Kalabrya Haskins said in a statement released by attorney Rick Ellsley. “He was a loving and dedicated husband, a son, and a brother. He wanted to be a father and eventually a grandfather. He was a humanitarian who loved children and animals.

“As a young man, Dwayne was a nationally recognized scholar-athlete while in high school in Maryland. Dwayne was a record-breaking quarterback for the Ohio State Buckeyes. He was an All-Big Ten academic student-athlete. Dwayne was the MVP at the Big Ten Championship. He was MVP at the Rose Bowl. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Dwayne was the 15th overall pick at the 2019 NFL draft for Washington.

“When he passed away, he was a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers and he was loved by his coaches and teammates. “Dwayne Haskins was all these things and so much more.

“On behalf of Dwayne’s wife, his family, and his memory, and on behalf of the truth, we respectfully request and pray for privacy, for patience, and for the public to withhold any judgment during this period while the law enforcement authorities continue to investigate and conduct their important work.”

Haskins was struck by a dump truck on Interstate 595 on April 9. According to a toxicology report, Haskins had alcohol levels of .20 and .24 on separate samples taken from his body, which are above the legal limit in Florida of .08.<<

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/23/dwayne-haskins-widow-releases-statement/

Edited by SonnySideUp

Ketamine and alcohol is a dangerous combination. It's quite possible that he was hallucinating and not completely aware of his surroundings.

No judgement here at all. In my youth I did a lot of completely irresponsible dumb **** that I shouldn't by all rights have survived but somehow I was lucky while many others far more deserving weren't.

I survived and in doing so learned from my  experiences and grew from it.

I often wonder, why me?

But the why of things is just too baffling for my small mind.

The world is a mystery rapped in an enigma inside an infinity of Russian dolls as seen through a funhouse mirror.

Luck plays a larger part in the outcome than most would like to believe.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thanks 4