Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dwayne haskins killed by vehicle

turtle

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Saw today where his wife called 911 that he was walking to get gas and she couldn’t get in touch with him.  Horrible.

Yeah I heard some of the 911 calls. This still doesn't make total sense.

• His wife spoke to him. That means he had a phone.
  • He did not use a phone to call any authorities, tow truck, the rental car company, or anyone else (other than his wife.) 
  • Instead he decided to walk across the highway. He was not simply walking along a shoulder it appears.
  • Due to the hour (630ish?) he may have felt it too early to call anyone or accomplish anything. But most tow and related service are close to 24/7.
  • He's a backup QB but he still has a decent salary, missing a plane flight doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Was he on his way to the airport? Has that been confirmed? Why take the risk at all?
  • Why would someone not want to involve anyone else and instead dart across a highway to get gas instead of call police or anyone?
  • Considering that Kalabrya called the police not very long after, it would appear it was in her power and within Dwayne's to call for help for being stuck on the side of a busy highway. It may be that certain details were omitted because otherwise why not let Kalabrya call for help? Because if she calls police and you haven't already left, they may notice something.

You avoid involving anyone else not because you ran out of gas but because there is something specifically about how you will be seen by those intervening to help. Then there's the allegation of a "passed out" or inebriated woman in the car. 

Or maybe he was alone and ran out of gas and realized he was still recovering from some drinking and he didn't want to be arrested for DUI or abandon the vehicle entirely for a period of hours (and couldn't abandon it because someone was in the car.) 

To me, that is the only thing besides monumentally bad impulsive decision-making that would compel a man to call his wife but also then put himself at such serious risk on the highway when his wife is literally calling into 911 10-20 minutes later. That means he could have done the same and eventually gotten the help he needed.  

Does anyone remember Lance Briggs? He wrecked his car abandoned it (clearly because he was drunk and didn't want to get a charge) and I don't know that he faced any serious repercussions from that.  This has a bit of a feel of that, except Dwayne felt he had to keep moving in this case.

EDIT: Was his car on the shoulder adjacent to the lanes where he was struck or was he on the other shoulder? Maybe it doesn't really matter it still involves walking across what seems to be a busy highway. That only makes sense if one is impaired, suffered a head injury or other disruptive event, or wants to avoid scrutiny (whatever it may be.)  

Edited by Ghost of
question re: diagram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolute tragedy.

"Dwayne Haskins told his wife he was walking to get gas before he was fatally struck by a dump truck on a Florida interstate highway, according to a recording of a 911 call from the morning of his death obtained by the Associated Press.

Kalabrya Haskins reportedly called 911 from Pittsburgh the morning of April 9 unaware there had been an accident, telling the Florida Highway Patrol dispatcher her husband said he was stuck on the side of the highway and would call her back when he returned.

When Haskins didn't return, Kalabrya said she tried to call him and received no answer. She requested the dispatcher send "somebody to go in the area and see if his car is there and if he’s OK and if anything happened to him."

By that point, the highway patrol had reportedly received numerous calls about the fatal accident, but the dispatcher could not confirm Haskins was the person who had been struck and killed.

From the AP:

“I don’t want you to panic, but I am going to be honest with you,” the dispatcher told Kalabrya Haskins. “We do have an incident on the highway, but I can’t confirm if that’s your husband or not.”

The dispatcher then told her to “hang tight” while she tried to get more information. While on hold, Kalabrya Haskins starts crying and praying, but her words were mostly unintelligible.

“Please Lord, please Lord,” she said.

According to ESPN, a final accident report released Wednesday concluded Haskins was improperly on the roadway when he entered the travel lanes and into the path of the dump truck, which was traveling in the center lane. The investigating officer found the driver of the dump truck had not taken action that contributed to the accident.

Haskins was also reportedly struck by a second car after the first impact. That car had taken evasive maneuvers to avoid Haskins, but partially hit him on its right side undercarriage. A third vehicle may also have reportedly been involved according to a witness.

Haskins was found dead at the scene by a fire department captain at 6:48 a.m."

1 hour ago, Ghost of said:

• He did not use a phone to call any authorities, tow truck, the rental car company, or anyone else (other than his wife.) 
  • Instead he decided to walk across the highway. He was not simply walking along a shoulder it appears.
  • Due to the hour (630ish?) he may have felt it too early to call anyone or accomplish anything. But most tow and related service are close to 24/7.
  • He's a backup QB but he still has a decent salary, missing a plane flight doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Was he on his way to the airport? Has that been confirmed? Why take the risk at all?
  • Why would someone not want to involve anyone else and instead dart across a highway to get gas instead of call police or anyone?
  • Considering that Kalabrya called the police not very long after, it would appear it was in her power and within Dwayne's to call for help for being stuck on the side of a busy highway. It may be that certain details were omitted because otherwise why not let Kalabrya call for help? Because if she calls police and you haven't already left, they may notice something.

You avoid involving anyone else not because you ran out of gas but because there is something specifically about how you will be seen by those intervening to help. Then there's the allegation of a "passed out" or inebriated woman in the car. 

Or maybe he was alone and ran out of gas and realized he was still recovering from some drinking and he didn't want to be arrested for DUI or abandon the vehicle entirely for a period of hours (and couldn't abandon it because someone was in the car.) 

To me, that is the only thing besides monumentally bad impulsive decision-making that would compel a man to call his wife but also then put himself at such serious risk on the highway when his wife is literally calling into 911 10-20 minutes later. That means he could have done the same and eventually gotten the help he needed.  

Does anyone remember Lance Briggs? He wrecked his car abandoned it (clearly because he was drunk and didn't want to get a charge) and I don't know that he faced any serious repercussions from that.  This has a bit of a feel of that, except Dwayne felt he had to keep moving in this case.

EDIT: Was his car on the shoulder adjacent to the lanes where he was struck or was he on the other shoulder? Maybe it doesn't really matter it still involves walking across what seems to be a busy highway. That only makes sense if one is impaired, suffered a head injury or other disruptive event, or wants to avoid scrutiny (whatever it may be.)  

"Was his car on the shoulder adjacent to the lanes where he was struck or was he on the other shoulder?"

My take from looking at the diagram and reading the accounts is that Haskins was on the left shoulder and had the goal of going across to the opposite shoulder through traffic so that he could take the exit and leave the highway.

He was first hit by the dump truck while attempting to traverse the middle lane.

That impact apparently propelled him into the far left lane where he was hit by a second car and possibly dragged underneath the undercarraige of the second car until he came to rest.

No idea if I'm misreading this or not and would welcome anyone with a better interpretation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Now they're saying he was struck by two vehicles and here's the police diagram of what happened...truly sad:

To me the diagram shows that he was hit by the dump truck and the blood trail shows him flying into the other car on the left and then that car pulls over to the right shoulder after getting hit by Haskins. Following the arrows and that is what it looks like how it happened. He had no chance of surviving at all. :(

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

That impact apparently propelled him into the far left lane where he was hit by a second car and possibly dragged underneath the undercarraige of the second car until he came to rest.

The car was not going towards Haskins. The traffic was going the other way instead. Haskins hit the car on the front passenger side instead. This is where the blood trails stops and the diagram also shows that also being the final rest spot. 

Edited by zCommander

5 hours ago, Ghost of said:

We will never know, why Dwayne made the decision to get out of the car and not call a tow truck.

If Dwayne was still a little intoxicated; that will show up in blood work.

If there was someone in the car with him; wouldn’t that person’s identity leaked by now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

The car was not going towards Haskins. The traffic was going the other way instead. Haskins hit the car on the front passenger side instead. This is where the blood trails stops and the diagram also shows that also being the final rest spot. 

I believe we actually agree.

I did not express myself clearly previously. Using relative terms like "left" and "right" is confusing if we aren't both assuming the same orientation.

In my case I was speaking from the perspective of the truck driver traveling towards the left side of the diagram and moving away from the right side. So that "his" left would be the bottom of the diagram and "his" right would be the top of the diagram and so on.

I now realize there was a far simpler way to express this without ambiguity.

First, for demonstrative purposes and simplicity let's assume that the diagram in the earlier post is oriented so that moving in the direction toward the top of the page is northbound which would make the bottom of the page south, the left side of the page west and the right side east.

My interpretation is that the truck was heading westbound perpindicular to Haskins, who was attempting to cross the highway from south to north (with the intention of exiting the expressway on the northern end) when he collided with the truck in the center lane.

That collision propelled Haskins in a general southerly direction into the most southern lane of traffic where he was struck by a second vehicle headed in a westerly direction which possibly dragged him under its undercarriage to his final resting place.

15 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

That collision propelled Haskins in a general southerly direction into the most southern lane of traffic where he was struck by a second vehicle headed in a westerly direction which possibly dragged him under its undercarriage to his final resting place.

Except the image shows the body rested on the right side of car after hitting it and then the car moved forward and into the right side (your north) to the emergency lane of the highway afterwards. So no dragging was involved per image. This is what I was trying to say. Look at the image again. It says "final rest" pointing to where Haskins body ended up after the collision with the truck which is where the 2nd collision happened. No drag since his body hit the right side of car and bounced out. I think that is Newton's 2nd law of body in motion. 

Edited by zCommander

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Except the image shows the body rested on the right side of car after hitting it and then the car moved forward and into the right side (your north) to the emergency lane of the highway afterwards. So no dragging was involved per image. This is what I was trying to say. Look at the image again. It says "final rest" pointing to where Haskins body ended up after the collision with the truck which is where the 2nd collision happened. No drag since his body hit the right side of car and bounced out. I think that is Newton's 2nd law of body in motion. 

My apologies for not clarifying.

Five points:

1. The "possible dragging" that I mentioned before didn't come from viewing the diagram in isolation it was actually mentioned in another article that he may have gone under the undercarriage of the second vehicle.

It was also mentioned in another article that a witness thought he was hit by a third vehicle but I left that out.

This doesn't mean that any of that happened, of course, just that it is a possibility.

2. "If" dragging did occur, and again I am not concluding that it did, that doesn't mean that the body was dragged the full distance to the termination point of the second vehicle. 

3. Bodies in motion that collide with each other at sufficient velocity (particularly flexible non-uniform irregularly shaped objects like the human body) often do strange and unpredictable things sometimes even approaching the realm of chaos theory.

That's one reason why you can't predict with certainty where billiard balls will end up after the initial break. Or, for that matter, precisely how the universe would develop after the theoretical big bang that created it.

"Every outcome remains a probability until it actually occurs."

4. Police reports are notoriously inacurate although with a high profile case like this I'm sure they did the best job they could possibly do.

5. You have a very analytical mind. It was enjoyable discussing this with you in a civil manner. That's altogether a good and increasingly rare thing in these "splendid" times.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

2. "If" dragging did occur, and again I am not concluding that it did, that doesn't mean that the body was dragged the full distance to the termination point of the second vehicle. 

Okay so I am looking at the diagram again and thinking of what you said. If the car in the diagram next to the truck is the same car that is shown next to the body then I see that a drag could happened and that car dragged his body right after it got hit by the truck's left front bumper (as the picture indicates). His body would have been in the left lane and then hit again and dragged to the resting spot. The car then proceeds to move to the emergency lane - probably a panic move. The blood trails also could indicate a drag as well. So I guess it is possible when I look at the picture again and try to draw that in my head. A written police report would have been real helpful. I wonder if the police have put out a written report with the diagram as well. I like to see what they think happened. As sad this whole thing is - I am sure the family and friends and fans would like to see some closure to what actually happened. 

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

5. You have a very analytical mind. It was enjoyable discussing this with you in a civil manner. That's altogether a good and increasingly rare thing in these "splendid" times.

Thank you. Was a Bio major and a math nerd and now IT. So all my life all I have done is analytical. I like to make sense of things as much as my mind will allow me to. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Okay so I am looking at the diagram again and thinking of what you said. If the car in the diagram next to the truck is the same car that is shown next to the body then I see that a drag could happened and that car dragged his body right after it got hit by the truck's left front bumper (as the picture indicates). His body would have been in the left lane and then hit again and dragged to the resting spot. The car then proceeds to move to the emergency lane - probably a panic move. The blood trails also could indicate a drag as well. So I guess it is possible when I look at the picture again and try to draw that in my head. A written police report would have been real helpful. I wonder if the police have put out a written report with the diagram as well. I like to see what they think happened. As sad this whole thing is - I am sure the family and friends and fans would like to see some closure to what actually happened. 

Thank you. Was a Bio major and a math nerd and now IT. So all my life all I have done is analytical. I like to make sense of things as much as my mind will allow me to. 

Behold a rare and precious treasure is found amidst the ruin of 21st century societal decay-- a genuine honest to goodness open minded thinker who is willing to objectively reevaluate their initial conclusion, given the light of additional information.

I bow to you.

You will go far in this world with that attitude young grasshopper.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I like you guys, but breaking down the final moments of Haskins like it's the Kennedy assassination is a bit weird and, if I'm being honest (and I am) really kind of morbid.  

IMO, the dude got hit by a dump truck.  And then a second car, we learned yesterday.  But I don't understand the fascination of his flight pattern, the possibility of getting dragged, etc.  

To each their own, I suppose.  But I say let the guy rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like you guys, but breaking down the final moments of Haskins like it's the Kennedy assassination is a bit weird and, if I'm being honest (and I am) really kind of morbid.  

IMO, the dude got hit by a dump truck.  And then a second car, we learned yesterday.  But I don't understand the fascination of his flight pattern, the possibility of getting dragged, etc.  

To each their own, I suppose.  But I say let the guy rest.

You're right Spiff.

A mea culpa is due.

After someone posted the diagram and after my my initial posting of the news article someone asked a question about what actually occured. I should have ignored it but my ego got involved.

I want into clinical mode. And it quickly became somewhat of a technical exercise to determine the exact process and sequence of events.

In doing so I briefly lost the humanity of the situation and that should never happen. Completely my fault.

My sincere apologies to all and my  thanks to you specifically, for being the conscience of the forum in this matter.

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

You're right Spiff.

A mea culpa is due.

After someone posted the diagram and after my my initial posting of the news article someone asked a question about what actually occured. I should have ignored it but my ego got involved.

I want into clinical mode. And it quickly became somewhat of a technical exercise to determine the exact process and sequence of events.

In doing so I briefly lost the humanity of the situation and that should never happen. Completely my fault.

My sincere apologies to the forum and my  thanks to you for being the conscience of the forum.

Man, if I'm the conscience of the forum, this place is ****ed.

I didn't mean to get THAT serious, but then you started busting out latin phrases for "my bad" and...well, here we are.  

As an aside, I am really impressed by the way this board (and the fanbase, even on the dumpster fire that is Twitter) responded to the news of his death.  Everyone's kept it classy and heartfelt.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Man, if I'm the conscience of the forum, this place is ****ed.

I didn't mean to get THAT serious, but then you started busting out latin phrases for "my bad" and...well, here we are.  

"Man, if I'm the conscience of the forum, this place is ****ed."

Don't sell yourself short my friend.

I think I've read enough of your posts to appreciate the gravitas and depth of character of the actual man lurking beneath the apparent clown.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:34 AM, CommanderInTheRye said:

4. Police reports are notoriously inacurate although with a high profile case like this I'm sure they did the best job they could possibly do.

Per the WoPo article from two days ago: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/20/dwayne-haskins-911-call/

Per the report, the Subaru veered to the left in attempt to avoid Haskins, but its right-side tires and undercarriage partially struck him. Both vehicles stopped as Haskins lay on the inside lane of the highway.

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree.

Can this thread not be closed or at least shifted from the Stadium.

This story gets weirder by the minute...

They still haven't confirmed who the drunk chick was in Haskins' car.

They keep repeating what Haskins said ("I'm outta gas") because that's what he told his wife on the phone. Has a gas can been found?

For that matter, where is his car that supposedly ran out of gas?

Has anyone investigated whether there was even a gas station in the direction he was walking towards?

I'm starting to think he was up to hanky-panky with the passed-out chick and possibly ran out of gas...was probably inebriated, and panicked and decided to flee on foot before he got arrested for DWI and his wife found out about the other woman. That would explain his misjudgement of the speed of the traffic.

Still...bizarre that his parents never met her.

(Just realized I'm showing my age...I used the phrase 'hanky-panky.' ) 😝

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 3
  • Thumb down 1