Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dwayne haskins killed by vehicle

turtle

The WaPo article stated "The Florida Highway Patrol is expected to release a full report on Haskins’s death soon."

When that posts, it seems appropriate to post the link to the report and then close/lock the thread... to provide closure to this topic and the sad, official end of the DH chapter.

• 7 months later...

This sad tale  just keeps getting more and more bizarre.

From The Athletic:

Family of Dwayne Haskins Alleges QB was target in 'Blackmail and Robbery Conspiracy'

Dwayne Haskins’ widow, Kalabrya Haskins, and other family members have filed a lawsuit against several defendants over Haskins’ death, alleging the former Steelers quarterback was the focus of a “blackmail and robbery conspiracy,” according to court documents. Here’s what you need to know:

• The suit alleges that Haskins was drugged and names the Boca Raton Hotel Group, Drive Shack Palm Beach, Blue Anchor Pub and E11Even Miami as defendants, claiming they were negligent “by allowing patrons to use drugs and to drug other patrons.”
  • The suit names four individuals, alleging they “committed battery” on Haskins “by drugging” him “to blackmail and rob him and causing him and/or contributing to cause him severe injury and death.”
  • The driver of the dump truck that hit Haskins is accused of negligence in Haskins’ death. Also named are the owners of the truck, Pedro Senecio Diaz and Sorrel Enterprises, Inc.
  • The suit also alleges negligence by the Florida Department of Transportation as well as an unnamed contractor for the department.
  • Roam Rental Car, the owner of the vehicle Haskins was driving the night of his death, is also named in the suit, which alleges the company provided Haskins with a rental car “that was unreasonably dangerous and hazardous because it was mechanically damaged and ran out of gas.”

Backstory

Haskins, a former Ohio State standout quarterback and the No. 15 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, died in April 2022 at the age of 24 after he was hit by a dump truck while walking on a South Florida highway, the Florida Highway Patrol confirmed.

The fatal crash was reported at 6:37 a.m. on I-595 Westbound between I-95 North and South in Broward County, Florida. Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins, who was drafted by Washington, played in nine games in 2019 and seven in 2020, throwing 2,804 yards for 12 total touchdowns. Haskins signed with the Steelers in January 2021 to back up Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph, but did not play. He signed a one-year restricted free-agent tender that March to remain with the Steelers. Hundreds attended his memorial service in Pittsburgh. 

In two years at Ohio State, Haskins threw for 5,396 yards and 54 touchdowns across 22 games. He was named MVP of the 2018 Big Ten Championship Game and the 2019 Rose Bowl.

Born in New Jersey, Haskins moved to Potomac, Md. in high school and became a top prospect in the 2016 class after starring at The Bullis School. He was Maryland’s Gatorade Player of the Year in his junior year of high school.

(Photo: Charles LeClaire / USA Today)

It's absolutely ridiculous because it requires a conspiracy involving scores of people. Too many people believe in conspiracies as it is, forgetting that people are imperfect and at least one person would screw everything up. The simple explanation is he ran out of gas with a woman in his car who he wasn't married to, panicked, and misjudged the traffic trying to get gas because he had a .24 blood alcohol level.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It's absolutely ridiculous because it requires a conspiracy involving scores of people. Too many people believe in conspiracies as it is, forgetting that people are imperfect and at least one person would screw everything up. The simple explanation is he ran out of gas with a woman in his car who he wasn't married to, panicked, and misjudged the traffic trying to get gas because he had a .24 blood alcohol level.

Probably accurate. Have a hard time believing he was targeted, drugged, robbed, etc. when it's more likely he freely took the drugs found in his system, and that with his blood alcohol level + woman not his wife = the terrible sequence of events that led to his death. 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

stumbling on a highway at night drunk and high and youve got less chance than a deer. Poor guy that hit him gets dragged back in for a cash-grab

• Sad 2

Borderline frivolous lawsuit that any decent self-respecting attorney (if such a thing exists 😜 j/k) would summarily reject if a potential client brought it to them.

The part that really got me shaking my head is that they had the gall to sue the rental car company in part because the car "ran out of gas".

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 3

I am no law expert, but couldn't this blow up in the family's face and they get hit with a multitude of slander lawsuits? Got to believe this will be very difficult to prove.

Edited by REDSKINS STOMP

I try to be respectful of the deceased, although with Dwayne Haskins that has been a challenge. But his family is fair game and I hope they enjoy paying the legal fees of those they chose to sue.  The car  rental company because the dumb ass ran out of gas?  LOL,

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

When you read this you start to understand why Dwayne was the way he was. His family has always seemed very entitled to things they don't necessarily deserve. This feels like a money grab for people that thought their son was going to make them rich for life. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, El Mexican said:

A tragedy for sure.

But I'm still in awe of the absolute and total incompetence our FO showed drafting this highly troubled young man.

Kyle Smith and Jay Gruden didn't want him, but Dannyboy and his sycophantic sidekick Brucifer overruled them. The good news is Haskins brought in McLaurin for his pro day drills with the team, and Smith insisted we draft Terry based on what he saw.

One of the most absurd things I've read in a long time. I suspect the lawyer found a gullible client - the wife, who was probably no good for Haskins anyway - and is bilking Haskins' estate for fees related to a hopelessly unwinnable case. The dump truck driver, who was/is no doubt traumatized by killing aman through no fault of his own? The rental car company, even though the driver of the car chose to keep on keepin' on, despite that red low fuel light? Come on, man? Let the young man rest in peace, Jackie Chiles. 

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Kyle Smith and Jay Gruden didn't want him, but Dannyboy and his sycophantic sidekick Brucifer overruled them. The good news is Haskins brought in McLaurin for his pro day drills with the team, and Smith insisted we draft Terry based on what he saw.

Silver lining after all...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It wasn't the FO, it was the guy who is about to sail out of town forever.  

I was including him in our "braintrust".

If I recall correctly this was the era where, theoretically, he was more "hands off".

I don't think he EVER took his hands off player personnel decisions.

And here we are...