Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Really hoping that we can trade for O Brown with our 2nd and maybe a 4th next year, he signs a LTD (money within the top 5-7 of LTs) and then address BPA (LB) with our 1st, then QB and TE in the 3rd.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Better to move on than waste time. It could even be the fit within the building.

Generally the plan is very likely to see if the guy makes sense in the building even if he hasn’t performed and upgrade if you can and the price is worth it... otherwise continue to see what you have.

In the case of Rosen, Haskins, etc., they clearly weren’t fits with their teams and were likely over drafted and positioned poorly because of it. I feel the same with Lock. 

You can add Wentz and Goff to the list too. Now Darnold, before him Jameis Winston....Trubisky......

For me, Josh Allen is one example of hanging in there with a guy and finding the right coaching over giving up on the player. It seems these guys have the physical traits but maybe not the makeup of franchise QB's. I'm sure contracts come into play too (Wentz,Goff). The Eagles are moving on from Wentz to go to a totally unproven Hurts? 

Baker Mayfield is another example of how coaching has turned around a shaky player. Jordan Love in GB might be in the perfect situation....learn the game for a couple of years before being thrown in there. 

• Like 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

You can add Wentz and Goff to the list too. Now Darnold, before him Jameis Winston....Trubisky......

For me, Josh Allen is one example of hanging in there with a guy and finding the right coaching over giving up on the player. It seems these guys have the physical traits but maybe not the makeup of franchise QB's. I'm sure contracts come into play too (Wentz,Goff). The Eagles are moving on from Wentz to go to a totally unproven Hurts? 

Baker Mayfield is another example of how coaching has turned around a shaky player. Jordan Love in GB might be in the perfect situation....learn the game for a couple of years before being thrown in there. 

This proves my point actually, I think.

Wentz was excellent but the franchise and him fell apart. Not worth keeping him. The relationship was badly fractured. 

Goff should be a free agent anyways and available for a modest deal, but the Rams pulled the trigger too early on an okay QB. Hence the reason they are where they are. 

Darnold hasn’t shown much of anything besides being turnover prone. He’s been bad and the Jets needed to turn the page. New regime, new guy. 

Trubisky was never trusted in Chicago. 

Winston was too turnover prone for Arians.

They all make sense. Every one of them. 

Mayfield looked good and then meh. But he had a good year under his belt and the respect of his teammates. You don’t turn the page on that. 

Josh Allen was always loved and respected and supported. He made mistakes but he was constantly improving. He’s not the same as any of the guys on this list who had sub par rookie years or extenuating circumstances.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This proves my point actually, I think.

Wentz was excellent but the franchise and him fell apart. Not worth keeping him. The relationship was badly fractured. 

Goff should be a free agent anyways and available for a modest deal, but the Rams pulled the trigger too early on an okay QB. Hence the reason they are where they are. 

Darnold hasn’t shown much of anything besides being turnover prone. He’s been bad and the Jets needed to turn the page. New regime, new guy. 

Trubisky was never trusted in Chicago. 

Winston was too turnover prone for Arians.

They all make sense. Every one of them. 

Mayfield looked good and then meh. But he had a good year under his belt and the respect of his teammates. You don’t turn the page on that. 

Josh Allen was always loved and respected and supported. He made mistakes but he was constantly improving. He’s not the same as any of the guys on this list who had sub par rookie years or extenuating circumstances.

Just think of all the money that teams spend on QB's they draft high in the draft without really knowing how good they will be? Carson Wenz was traded before he ever reached the extension year on his humongous contract????? Crazy. To me it seems kind of dumb to even risk drafting a QB too high in the draft because most of them don't make it. For every Joe Burrow there are 5 Josh Rosen's. 

In fact, I think Miami has the next big bust on their hands with Tua....they're gonna wish they had kept Fitz.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Just think of all the money that teams spend on QB's they draft high in the draft without really knowing how good they will be? Carson Wenz was traded before he ever reached the extension year on his humongous contract????? Crazy. To me it seems kind of dumb to even risk drafting a QB too high in the draft because most of them don't make it. For every Joe Burrow there are 5 Josh Rosen's. 

In fact, I think Miami has the next big bust on their hands with Tua....they're gonna wish they had kept Fitz.

QBs like Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger don't just turn up in FA every couple of years. To win the lottery, you've got to buy yourself a ticket. And looking at the teams that compete in the Super Bowl, you know we need to win the lottery to consistently be deep in the playoffs.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I admit I didn't watch much of tua last year but going solely on statistics his don't seem bad at all especially for a rookie quarterback. 

Why is it the general consensus that he's looking like a bust?

Edited by redskinss

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I admit I didn't watch much of tua last year but going solely on statistics his don't seem bad at all especially for a rookie quarterback. 

Why is it the general consensus that he's looking like a bust?

He didnt win a superbowl for them?..my best friend is a dolphins fan...die hard phins fan..he says its 50.50...that he needs work still...kinda wishes they would have hung onto Fitzpatrick..

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

There appears to be a correlation between hard work and 'Love' for the game in the few QBs that do get better from years Rookie to 3rd year breakout.  I'm sure wise coaches know who these potential breakout candidates are after a few games in their second season.  These QBs would have consistency in their approach and it would show during film sessions and translate in practice.  Another tool is magnified with the contact tracing data, as you'd be able to see where these guys choose to go in their routine, as well as how much time is dedicated to which location. 

Just imagining Haskins coming into work barely under the cutoff and going straight to the cafeteria!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dallas barely has enough cap space to sign their incoming Rookies.  Really any veteran FA they might wish to sign would need to be a LTD of some sort where they'd pay almost nothing in the first year.  I don't read this as a full indictment on K.J. Wright. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

There's gotta something that the general public isn't aware of when it comes to KJ Wright. Maybe he has started to decline and it started getting noticeable?

I'd be interested to know the same answer as simply assuming Dallas can't or won't sign him doesn't mean anything to me. 

The KJ Wright rumors to Dallas from what I can tell was based on three things

A.  Quinn was the coordinator in Seattle years back and coached Wright back then

B.  MLB is a need for them

C. Wright in an interview said among other teams he'd like to play for Dallas

Edited by Skinsinparadise

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The KJ Wright rumors to Dallas from what I can tell was based on three things

A.  Quinn was the coordinator in Seattle years back and coached Wright back then

B.  MLB is a need for them

C. Wright in an interview said among other teams he'd like to play for Dallas

Also I believe he had made the statement before FA began that he wished to play for the Cowboys

59 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Also I believe he had made the statement before FA began that he wished to play for the Cowboys

I really don’t understand why so many players want to go there. They haven’t been relevant for a very long time. The Browns are a better bet at this point.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

There's gotta something that the general public isn't aware of when it comes to KJ Wright. Maybe he has started to decline and it started getting noticeable?

As one of the other guys said... KJ Wright has a # in his mind of his worth and most likely will not sign on a discount until the last minute.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30947115/kj-wright-opposes-taking-hometown-discount-stay-seattle-seahawks-makes-absolutely-no-sense

• Like 1

The more I've dug into it KJ isn't really a MIKE. He never had great speed - his plus tools are his football IQ and length. It makes him a great fit at SLB or as a 3-4 ILB but it's tough for him to make it work as a 4-2 or 4-3 MLB in today's NFL