Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think we as a fan base are overreacting both ways on this to be honest. It’s not like a Trent Williams situation where we decided to keep him despite (rumored) first round pick trade offers and then let him go.

This has to play out. When a guy signs a tag there is almost zero reason for him not to play on it. Look out for the team and take a team friendly long term deal when you can be cut in a year or two anyways if you get hurt? Or maximize your value every year you can?

It sounds like both sides would like to come to an agreement but both sides have some sticking points. When they tagged him they invited this. 

It's not like Trent Williams that way, but broadly speaking,, it could be like a Trent Williams situation in that in back to back years, they've had difficulty working it out and keep an elite OL.  The hows and whys are kinda window dressing.  

Now, I do agree, it has to play out. So the emphasis is on "could". But they lost one last year, and there's a chance they wind up losing another.  Getting players of this caliber is hard.  They need to get on the habit of keeping them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'd love to get a centerfield style free safety like Boston in here but I wonder what the odds are when he's played for Rivera and could have been brought in last year but wasn't, seems like there's only a mild interest if that.

But we have lacked a free safety with excellent range and cover skills since Taylor died and it seems like we only get in the box type safeties.

They took a chance on Sean Davis last season, which I thought was a strong move, but it flamed out badly. Definitely need to upgrade.

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Internet rumors aren’t worth ****ting on our own players over. This place sucks sometimes. 

I don't know if it's ****ting on our players, but it's fairly obvious Scherff is a money chaser. Nothing wrong with it, he's allowed to pick and choose what's a priority

• Like 1

@UK SKINS FAN 74

I watched the whole Rivera press conference per your suggestion.  i agree some good nuggets in it.

Among them, looks like early this week they will go over potential additional targets for FA and suggested they aren't per se done.  In the mix of things said they can still sign a linebacker or two. 

Watching his body language and listening to his tone, I believe him when he said they don't feel desperate at QB.  Sounds like he's just going with the flow on that front and won't force anything but will keep looking for opportunities. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

How did we get back on scherff?

We must be the only fan base in the NFL that is obsessed with the contract of an interior offensive lineman!

Only because we have guaranteed him 18m this year, if we aren't signing him long term then it's a big mistake,. 

I think Rivera would like Scherff back but ultimately he's hesitatnt to pay a Guard that much money. Yes he's very good, our first All Pro in forever, etc. etc. But the key to building a championship roster is efficient usage of resources. If we pay Scherff what he wants, does that mean we have to let someone like Payne go in a couple years? While Scherff is good, he turns 30 in December and has a history of injuries. I personally think he'll age fine but I can understand the reluctance.

Ultimately if we're not able to give him a long term deal part of me would rather just trade him and get something back for him but perhaps Rivera wants to keep him for at least one more year because he sees a shot at winning.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@UK SKINS FAN 74

I watched the whole Rivera press conference per your suggestion.  i agree some good nuggets in it.

Among them, looks like early this week they will go over potential additional targets for FA and suggested they aren't per se done.  In the mix of things said they can still sign a linebacker or two. 

Watching his body language and listening to his tone, I believe him when he said they don't feel desperate at QB.  Sounds like he's just going with the flow on that front and won't force anything but will keep looking for opportunities. 

Interesting. If correct it would mean LB might be only addressed day 3 along with a FA this year and perhaps not forcing the idea day 2 QB selection like some of been writing.  There are a few LB options such as in no order KJ Wright, BJ Goodson, Kwon Alexander, Neville Hewitt or Eric Wilsin

That sure would make the day 1 and 2 picks easier. LT, TE and FS would be highest priority. That would also make it easier to grab another weapon like outside receiver or RB. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Rivera would like Scherff back but ultimately he's hesitatnt to pay a Guard that much money. Yes he's very good, our first All Pro in forever, etc. etc. But the key to building a championship roster is efficient usage of resources. If we pay Scherff what he wants, does that mean we have to let someone like Payne go in a couple years? While Scherff is good, he turns 30 in December and has a history of injuries. I personally think he'll age fine but I can understand the reluctance.

Ultimately if we're not able to give him a long term deal part of me would rather just trade him and get something back for him but perhaps Rivera wants to keep him for at least one more year because he sees a shot at winning.

That's what we have to assume.  He's ultimately a commodity that let's you keep a decent OL intact to start.  If the wheels fall off of the machine approaching the trade deadline, or a needy team has a roster hole then they could move him.  I could see that happening.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'd love to get a centerfield style free safety like Boston in here but I wonder what the odds are when he's played for Rivera and could have been brought in last year but wasn't, seems like there's only a mild interest if that.

If I remember correctly, RR offered Boston the opportunity to come in last year for an eval, but Boston wanted a contract without the eval, and so he re-signed with Carolina. 🤷‍♂️

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

Scherff was drafted way to high to be our next RT to bookend with Trent Williams.  He wasn’t up to the task, so out of necessity he was moved to guard.  Now he still wants to be paid like a RT.  I acknowledge he has been a very good OG when he was on the field, but no OG is worth what it has been reported he wants.  For $10m a year he could easily be replaced with an acceptable drop of in talent.  If he is just playing this to maximize tag money this year and signs a reasonable contract next year more power to him, but if he thinks he is truly worth a tag money contract he’s going to get smacked back down to reality next year.  Let’s see how many games he plays this year.

• Like 2

LBs good in coverage available (Eric Wilson formerly of the Vikes) and B.J. Goodsen (formerly of the Browns) are options. B.J. is better that Wilson at LB in stopping the run but both are young. 

WFT doesn't need a great MLB or even a good one.  It just needs one capable of having the DL's back so that the DL can do what it does best.  Recall our D was fantastic at redzone stops, especially goal line (Pittsburgh, Cinci), because the short field, compacting the back 7, gave us what we are lacking with a longer field.  Get a MLB who can patrol the field about 5 yards behind the LOS and there's your short field.  He doesn't have to be able to rush the QB or cover downfield, just stop any penetration or throws over the short middle.  Bonus: those guys don't get glamour pay because they do the dirty work and don't have to worry about other things b/c playing behind a stellar DL.

• Confused 1

If reports are true and he was offered top Guard Money it could still be worth less than what he is getting now. Guards and Centers Franchise tag numbers are same as Franchise Tackles. He might want to be paid as the top Guard but want at least as much as his Tag is now or basically paid as a Tackle.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What is there to not get at this point? He could want to be here, and the contract he’s been offered isn’t to his liking. Those things aren’t contradictory. That’s the danger in franchise tagging players (giving them a huge single-season salary) who think they can reset the market at their position if they hit FA. 

Happy Easter 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Every tag isn’t the same, the variables of each should be looked at. The team isn’t pressed for cash this or last year, but we can speculate that they will be in the coming years (young studs coming due for their second contracts). There’s also no clear replacement for him and question marks on the left side, enhancing his value to the team this year. 

One can argue the team doesn’t reach the playoffs without Scherff’s all pro level of play on the right side last year (I’d argue Moses was just as good/important). So how does one choose to value Scherffs franchise tag year in terms of value is up to them, but IMO, it was a home run for both sides. My guess is Rivera and company thinks the team would’ve been a disaster on offense without Scherff and Moses and are willing to pay a premium to keep that continuity together while building the offense from the ground floor. 

2 seasons on a franchise tag, a 3rd round comp pick, and time to develop young talent. 

The owners negotiated the CBA the way it is for a reason. First rounders are locked in for 7 years if the team wants them. That is usually about the timeframe players start hitting a wall. OL and QB are usually good further along than 7 years. But there is no guarantee. I think Scherff has earned a long term deal. The guy is a top 5 G in this league. But he could also hit a wall after this season. He will be 30 in December. And lets not act like he isnt injury prone because he is. My frustration with the team is they know these facts and should have walked from him this year if they dont feel comfortable doing a long term deal with him. My take is if a player wont sign a LTD after the first tag trade them. Get what you can and walk away. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

If I remember correctly, RR offered Boston the opportunity to come in last year for an eval, but Boston wanted a contract without the eval, and so he re-signed with Carolina. 🤷‍♂️

:229:The Rook

As far as I remember, he was offered a spot on our PS with the new COVID rules to expand them to include vets, and (understandably) wasn’t interested in that. 

1 hour ago, Gallen5862 said:

If reports are true and he was offered top Guard Money it could still be worth less than what he is getting now. Guards and Centers Franchise tag numbers are same as Franchise Tackles. He might want to be paid as the top Guard but want at least as much as his Tag is now or basically paid as a Tackle.

No go on that big time.  He plays RG and should be paid as such.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@UK SKINS FAN 74

I am totally bought into the team to building a massive wall of ballers on both sides of the ball. Then stick a young capable rookie QB into it to learn how to be a pro and how to play team football with no pressure. Sick and tired of drafting saviors. They never ever work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

I also think when you look at the top guard contracts, aside from Thuney getting 16mil p/y, you have a couple on 14mil p/y but the main grouping of top guards are in the 10-12mil range. 

To reset that market into a multi year 18mil p/y deal for example is a significant shift in the market value. Same old story, we are a couple of seasons late in our actions.