Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

WFT knew BS was going to be a tough negotiation going into this. If this ends like this it is shame. WFT has missed on Kirk, TW and BS on these big contracts. There are many more on the way over the next few years. They will need to change their strategies by making the deals sooner, making better offers or moving sooner on the player. They had the opportunity to move on Scherff and should have. Perhaps they should think of trading on of the DT's now

Are there teams like the Saints that will still need to cut players before the draft?

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

I wish they'd start using the Non-Exclusive tags and let them see what the market is, then match it or take the picks.  Wouldn't have all the BS issues!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/08/brandon-scherff-franchise-tag/

The Washington Football Team placed the nonexclusive franchise tag on guard Brandon Scherff for a second consecutive season, the team announced Monday night. The move gives the team until July 15 to work out a long-term deal or have Scherff play on the one-year, $18.04 million tag in 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

WFT knew BS was going to be a tough negotiation going into this. If this ends like this it is shame. WFT has missed on Kirk, TW and BS on these big contracts. There are many more on the way over the next few years. They will need to change their strategies by making the deals sooner, making better offers or moving sooner on the player. They had the opportunity to move on Scherff and should have. Perhaps they should think of trading on of the DT's now

Are there teams like the Saints that will still need to cut players before the draft?

I get where you are coming from with Williams and Cousins, we definitely missed the boat with them,  but that was because Allen was an incompetent egotistical nincompoop.

Scherff has made it pretty clear that the he wants to be the highest paid guard and I'm not sure he's worth it. He's good but has big-time injury concerns.  Hasn't he only played a complete season once?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

I get where you are coming from with Williams and Cousins, we definitely missed the boat with them,  but that was because Allen was an incompetent egotistical nincompoop.

Scherff has made it pretty clear that the he wants to be the highest paid guard and I'm not sure he's worth it. He's good but has big-time injury concerns.  Hasn't he only played a complete season once?

I am with you on everything. If it turns out they knew what he wanted and offered exactly that and it was top flight offer and he refused, they should have had a back up plan. Now that he has signed the tag it has removed much of WFT's options

As stated before,  think Rivera is convinced he needs Scherff for line stability and overall improvement at least for this season. If Scherff is playing hardball then they will let him walk next season while having developed Charles or draft pick to replace him. Not the best strategy,  but if Rivera wants him, he's staying and playing on the tag this season and leaving next year. That's a drawback of a coach centered team. The buck stops with him.

3 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

That's a drawback of a coach centered team. The buck stops with him.

Yup, especially with a coach that is a "players coach", misses some of the business side. The front office needs to step up on this front moving forward with young talent as their contacts age. RR continually made it clear he wanted BS back long term. The failure to sign a LTD stinks and feels like a scar on RR even though it may not be his fault at all.

• Like 1

RR has made the point several times that we want to keep our own, but I think there is a strong caveat with that. I reckon there is only so much good grace given before the shutter comes down. His last interview, he was fairly dismissive on the Scherff situation. 

If the next 7-10 days is about full roster evaluation, as RR said, where they will consider additional moves pre draft, we could see something develop on this one. Paying 18mil for one year of stability at right guard doesn’t wash for me, I’m not sure RR wants to tolerate that.

• Like 2

RR left no question on his opinion of BS's importance to the team. If he indeed put everything on the table and is dismissive now of the situation, makes me wonder if their relationship is tarnished moving forward. Seems RR would be pissed and have an attitude towards BS. If so I could see them wanting to move fro him this year but I really don't see anyone wanting him for those big bucks he thinks he deserves. 

• Like 3

I think we as a fan base are overreacting both ways on this to be honest. It’s not like a Trent Williams situation where we decided to keep him despite (rumored) first round pick trade offers and then let him go.

This has to play out. When a guy signs a tag there is almost zero reason for him not to play on it. Look out for the team and take a team friendly long term deal when you can be cut in a year or two anyways if you get hurt? Or maximize your value every year you can?

It sounds like both sides would like to come to an agreement but both sides have some sticking points. When they tagged him they invited this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Internet rumors aren’t worth ****ting on our own players over. This place sucks sometimes. 

Everyone is here for a reason, big passionate WFT fans. Other than a few knee jerk reactions following an event, comments with negative connotations towards players or team usually have caveats like "if".

Yeah this **** sucks about Brandon S ...what do we believe?...I thot he publicly stated he wants to retire in Washington...but now is refusing contracts?...I dont get it

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yeah this **** sucks about Brandon S ...what do we believe?...I thot he publicly stated he wants to retire in Washington...but now is refusing contracts?...I dont get it

What is there to not get at this point? He could want to be here, and the contract he’s been offered isn’t to his liking. Those things aren’t contradictory. That’s the danger in franchise tagging players (giving them a huge single-season salary) who think they can reset the market at their position if they hit FA. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

As stated before,  think Rivera is convinced he needs Scherff for line stability and overall improvement at least for this season. If Scherff is playing hardball then they will let him walk next season while having developed Charles or draft pick to replace him. Not the best strategy,  but if Rivera wants him, he's staying and playing on the tag this season and leaving next year. That's a drawback of a coach centered team. The buck stops with him.

Probably the best although not wisest choice RR could have made but as you have pointed out the best conclusion we can give to RR's possible decision.

• Like 1

@KDawg I agree. Let's play it out. We should also consider that the value of BS probably won't get much higher then it is now. One minor injury and his price drops some. Can he again play at a high level under the tag? Either way we benefit.

To be clear I'm not routing against BS to perform well. My point is if he plays well the team benefits and we still maybe get a deal and if he doesn't we can take some money out of the deal or replace him with Charles, a draft pick this year or a draft pick next year.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’ll struggle to recover a comp pick with the balance of players likely coming in as well, even then you are not getting the pick until 2023 right?

I agree that the compensation won’t be that high though, a third to use this year, plus change, and I’d take it. 

Ex Carolina man Trai Turner is still available to plug in for a season or two.

Given all the guys signed last offseason, this team is going to have a LOT of free agents next season

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, method man said:

Given all the guys signed last offseason, this team is going to have a LOT of free agents next season

Yep, which also means we will need to sign a few external FAs as well. Hopefully a solution is found that isn’t a one year 18mil deal.

Until we start being a regular winner, 5th year option + Tag is as long as we're going to keep any player who isn't looking to hedge against possible fall off of their play.  All there is to do until then is keep and acquire picks, and continue (begin? depending on who you ask...) drafting well.

You know what you do when contract time comes for players that you aren't sure you want to resign; you have their replacement ready to go.  In year 3 of that player's contract; you draft a potential replacement.   You can't resign all your players.  You have to pick and choose.    The Team actually needs to start planning now because some of our young players will be reaching their time for a new contract.  TM will be needing one in a couple of years.  Can you imagine what Chase Young's second contract will be?  He maybe the highest played defensive player.

24 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How did we get back on scherff?

We must be the only fan base in the NFL that is obsessed with the contract of an interior offensive lineman!

Others probably would be if they had an interior OL on that kind of contract, on a team with a track record of screwing up a franchise tag situation. That likely drives the interest/obsession.

To change track then, who would you all like to see brought in pre draft, anyone or just happy to sit for now ? Doesn’t have to be high profile...

Boston at FS is the obvious one, I personally really like Nelson as an outside corner with Fuller getting moved inside/with the potential to also rotate in at FS.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DWinzit said:

On the one hand, I am all for the player getting as much as they can in the small window they have to do it. But players are expendable. They are also not guaranteed. So you look at Kirk. Did we miss? I don't think so. Did he get overpaid and (so far) under-deliver? I would say yes. I'll put it like this, if I'm looking for a house, I'm not going to offer the high in a buyer's market. I may not even do it in the sellers market. Reason is (and more than likely), I can find a comparable house somewhere else for less. The guard position (on the weak side no less) doesn't command extraordinary compensation. Scherff is really attempting to gain leverage. Good business move. But right now he has none. Next year will be different. But only if he plays well. If he doesn't, we may miss him personally, but another guy will take his spot after he goes somewhere else to get paid. Because that is what it comes down to.....dinero, bag, paper, dolla bills. I am good with whatever decision Brandon makes. My immediate concern is that he protects in the pass game and mauls in the run. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Easy there Rex, I don't think there's any need for that kind of language around here. Don't know how you got that one past the profanity filter to be honest 🤣.

Back to Sherff, just because a LTD hasn't been done, it doesn't mean that it won't be done. Both sides know that they have three months to agree terms so there's no rush. See how FA and the draft unfolds and then give it another go.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Others probably would be if they had an interior OL on that kind of contract, on a team with a track record of screwing up a franchise tag situation. That likely drives the interest/obsession.

To change track then, who would you all like to see brought in pre draft, anyone or just happy to sit for now ? Doesn’t have to be high profile...

Boston at FS is the obvious one, I personally really like Nelson as an outside corner with Fuller getting moved inside/with the potential to also rotate in at FS.

I gotta learn to just lurk once the off-season is well underway.

We're all desperate for new information but there isn't any so we just re hash everything over and over and sometimes it just gets a little redundant, but obviously we gotta talk about something otherwise why bother showing up.

I'd love to get a centerfield style free safety like Boston in here but I wonder what the odds are when he's played for Rivera and could have been brought in last year but wasn't, seems like there's only a mild interest if that.

But we have lacked a free safety with excellent range and cover skills since Taylor died and it seems like we only get in the box type safeties.

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed