Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah all things being equal I'd take Samuel as well. But another thing about Jones is that he's an outstanding contested catch guy. With Fitz as our QB I think that skill will be important because we all know he's not afraid to let it fly. We'd then have two of the better contested catch WRs in the NFL + Fitz. Just sucks that he's 31 and probably only has a couple years left in the tank.

Agree, the age is my drawback too.  If they were the same age i'd actually prefer Jones.  Jones is the more polished WR.  Plus I see Samuel more as a slot guy.  Jones to me fits better as a Z.  The draft is much more loaded with slot options than outside receivers. 

I'd be jazzed for Samuel.  But I'd be happy with Jones.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, the age is my drawback too.  If they were the same age i'd actually prefer Jones.  Jones is the more polished WR.  Plus I see Samuel more as a slot guy.  Jones to me fits better as a Z.  The draft is much more loaded with slot options than outside receivers. 

I'd be jazzed for Samuel.  But I'd be happy with Jones.  

Yeah, but Jones is going to be much cheaper because of his age.  We have to resign Terry in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Plus I see Samuel more as a slot guy.  The draft is much more loaded with slot options than outside receivers. 

This was my thought exactly. I’d rather have Golladay because it frees us up to upgrade slot in the draft. 

That being said, Samuel in FA and Tylan Wallace in round 3 could totally remake our receiving corps. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And they said Alex Smith was too old at 36.

Now they're all excited about Fitz.

I guess 39 is the new 26 🤣

To me the biggest issue with getting Alex Smith wasn't necessarily his age, it was more the draft capital we gave up for him along with other factors. A 3rd and a starting corner for a 36 year old mediocre conservative QB was "meh" IMO.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Was sad to see KPL go. 

Bostic needs to be on the bench for a high value replacement either FA or draft. 

bring back Kendricks and let him compete for a spot. 

Kendricks is going to jail. No more football for him

46 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There are so many good CB's that will or have hit the market.

I really want him. Jackson is elite in man coverage and really good in zone as well. He is overlooked because he doesn't have good ball skills but he is a shutdown corner. He is a true #1 that would allow Fuller to take on #2 WRs on the outside or focus on taking on slot receivers

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This was my thought exactly. I’d rather have Golladay because it frees us up to upgrade slot in the draft. 

That being said, Samuel in FA and Tylan Wallace in round 3 could totally remake our receiving corps. 

Yep or Bateman or Terrace Marshall I'd think could play Z, especially Bateman.

15 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, but Jones is going to be much cheaper because of his age.  We have to resign Terry in a couple of years.

Why do we care about money and who needs to be signed in a couple of years? So much could change with new players from the draft or free agency. If KC and NO can keep doling out contracts and manage the cap then so can the rest of the league. Plus most contracts are really only 2-3  year contracts with ability to cut/trade players after that without too much penalty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duffy said:

They need extra TEs in case one gets charged with murder. 

Who could forget this nugget from Collinsoworth, less than 90 days after Hernandez arrest:

“All Bill Belichick does is brings them in here and there hasn’t been one ounce of a problem,” Collinsworth said. “There’s something about when they come in and play for Patriots, whatever their issues may have been before, they disappear. They play great football for them and Aqib Talib is at the top of that list.”

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah all things being equal I'd take Samuel as well. But another thing about Jones is that he's an outstanding contested catch guy. With Fitz as our QB I think that skill will be important because we all know he's not afraid to let it fly. We'd then have two of the better contested catch WRs in the NFL + Fitz. Just sucks that he's 31 and probably only has a couple years left in the tank.

I hope we aren't targeting wrs based on how they complement our newly acquired 39 year old qb.   But a proven contested catch guy is definitely a need.

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope we aren't targeting wrs based on how they complement our newly acquired 39 year old qb.   But a proven contested catch guy is definitely a need.

You know, lots of people are bringing up Fitzmagic's age but I'm in my 50's and spanking riders who are in their 20's and 30's in my peleton rides while guys and ladies in their 60's are spanking me! I say we sign Larry Fitzgerald next to pair up with Fitzmagic.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You know, lots of people are bringing up Fitzmagic's age but I'm in my 50's and spanking riders who are in their 20's and 30's in my peleton rides while guys and ladies in their 60's are spanking me! I say we sign Larry Fitzgerald next to pair up with Fitzmagic.....

That would be Fitzmagical. 

edit:

I will add my 40 year old self is better than my 20's self, but I didn't earn a career being a football player.  The older guys start to fade for a reason.

Edited by jsharrin55

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Ok, I'm on board with Fitz....let's just hope he improves on 223 TD and 169 interceptions. Maybe 34 TDs and10 interceptions this year. Would that be to much to ask?

It's possible, but his turnover is the downside to his game (and risk taking gives him more of an upside elsewhere).  If you keep everything else the same and change his td/int ratio to 3.4/1, he is an elite qb.  Wonderful if it happens, but probably very unrealistic.  I would be happy with a 2-1 or slightly above 2-1 from him, given that he doesn't all the sudden change into captain checkdown.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To me the biggest issue with getting Alex Smith wasn't necessarily his age, it was more the draft capital we gave up for him along with other factors. A 3rd and a starting corner for a 36 year old mediocre conservative QB was "meh" IMO.

Add Alex's contract into that, which wasn't cheap by any means.

If we traded for Alex and got him at $10M per year or if we gave up nothing and got him as a free agent for 80% of the contract we actually gave him, that's a lot different.

• Like 1