Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

By the way here is my take on Fitz:

1. This doesn’t signal to me that we draft a qb, we are not going to carry 4.

2. Signals to me that we will trade back and try and pick up another 2nd this year and a 1st next year. Draft ammo for a qb next year.

3. A full season of Fitz can bring us a 29 td 13 int type season.

4. we have a lot of cap space and we should utilize it, our lbs are awful, need another cb now, our wr2 is awful, could use oline help and a true free safety 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skins199021 said:

2. Signals to me that we will trade back and try and pick up another 2nd this year and a 1st next year. Draft ammo for a qb next year.

4. we have a lot of cap space and we should utilize it, our lbs are awful, need another cb now, our wr2 is awful, could use oline help and a true free safety 

I like it. Sign another vet WR.

Trade down.... grab those WR's and stock up the position. Develop them with Fitz.

And make the splash next year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jones to me fits better as a Z.

Fuller is a more dynamic one.  You can't press that dude and if the QB has protection, then you have to scheme safety help on Fuller because no one can run with him.  He is much more influential over coverage than Jones is.

Jones is a much better player than anyone but McLaurin, but to me he would be settling for competence rather than trying to create a dynamic system.  The upshot of signing Fitzpatrick is his almost absurd aggression in attacking coverages deep and I think the clearest path to upgrading this trash offense is with a focus on adding speed everywhere.  That's the identity KC embraced after moving on from Alex Smith and I think we can capture some of that track meet magic this offseason.  There are a handful of true burners on the FA market and there are a few in the draft and if we could get Fuller and someone like Rondale Moore and get a major upgrade over McKissic in the backfield, then we can open up our offense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Ignore me fella thought you wanted to wager on it 👍

I do.. my word is good here just ask bleeding burgundy or something like that can't remember his name exactly I'm working today checking in a little bit haven't seen anything else this is off the top of my head doesn't make sense why bill is bringing all those pieces in for Cam Newton to throw to I'm calling it now when it's all said and done Russell Wilson is a patriot

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fuller is a more dynamic one.  You can't press that dude and if the QB has protection, then you have to scheme safety help on Fuller because no one can run with him.  He is much more influential over coverage than Jones is.

Jones is a much better player than anyone but McLaurin, but to me he would be settling for competence rather than trying to create a dynamic system.  The upshot of signing Fitzpatrick is his almost absurd aggression in attacking coverages deep and I think the clearest path to upgrading this trash offense is with a focus on adding speed everywhere.  That's the identity KC embraced after moving on from Alex Smith and I think we can capture some of that track meet magic this offseason.  There are a handful of true burners on the FA market and there are a few in the draft and if we could get Fuller and someone like Rondale Moore and get a major upgrade over McKissic in the backfield, then we can open up our offense.

Love the idea of Fuller, legit deep threat and potential to raise the ceiling of the offense considerably. Any idea if he’s a high effort, willing blocker, and good locker room guy? Seems like he’d have to check these boxes for Ron to be interested. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What's wrong with McKissic? 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am mostly with you on this point.  I love Fuller but the injuries make me pause a little.    He's never played a full season.  But he's a sick talent-deep threat when he's on the field. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just beat on that one.  I am presuming Jacksonville among others might be in the mix.  I've read several times Urban really likes him back from the Ohio State days.

Other teams have more money than us and RR doesn't seem like he will outbid those with more $$$.  Hope I'm wrong but I think if there are other teams involved we can cross Samuel off our wish list.  

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Small, slow compiler with no open field dynamism whatsoever.  He's a reliable pro but he's a JAG who can only play a big role on a bad offense like ours was last season.

I thought McKissic was great last season, played most or all of the season didn't he? He did whatever was needed of him and really filled his 3rd down role nicely. I'm not so quick to discard him, teams need guys like McKissic in my opinion. Plus he's on a nice contract isn't he?

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Other teams have more money than us and RR doesn't seem like he will outbid those with more $$$.  Hope I'm wrong but I think if there are other teams involved we can cross Samuel off our wish list.  

Were Samuel and TMac teammates at OSU? 

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Small, slow compiler with no open field dynamism whatsoever.  He's a reliable pro but he's a JAG who can only play a big role on a bad offense like ours was last season.

I like JD, but he’s too small and an inept blocker (not his fault due to his size) for pass protextion

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I thought McKissic was great last season, played most or all of the season didn't he? He did whatever was needed of him and really filled his 3rd down role nicely. I'm not so quick to discard him, teams need guys like McKissic in my opinion. Plus he's on a nice contract isn't he?

Were Samuel and TMac teammates at OSU? 

Yep. Same recruiting class too. Samuel came out earlier, Terry stayed the whole time. Same age.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

In 2015 Fitz came close to a 29/13 year with a 31/15. I guess I would take that a long as half of them aren't pick sixes. Not sure how many pick sixes he has in his 169 interception career. 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like McKissick, but to your point - you can’t really rush him much, don’t really want him in pass pro, and it’s all about speed with him.  If he had a touch of Chris Thompson to his game (in how he used his blockers) or more dynamism in the open field, he’d be dangerous.  He has value for us until we upgrade though, and adding a speedster outside to open things up would probably help McKissick.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree on his talent, but it seems he fits the nfl mold for a 3rd down back. It’s kind of like the slot WR position with most not having a real deep threat ability. I thought most of Mckissics reps were schemed up or the defense giving those yards. He had some solid after catch stuff but nothing consistent from a dynamic standpoint. Dropped a fair share of balls as well. 

Can you point to other dynamic third down backs?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am mostly with you on this point.  I love Fuller but the injuries make me pause a little.    He's never played a full season.  But he's a sick talent-deep threat when he's on the field. 

That's why I'd try and get Ross (or someone else with a similar skill set) on a min deal to fill in the time that Fuller misses.

I'm a big Wizards fan and they have had an absolutely trash defense that's held them back for several years.  One of the big points I've been complaining about is that they need to adopt a team building strategy where they say "no trash defenders in the front court."  I don't care if the guy is a really good passer or shooter or ball handler or scorer, the only way they change their identity is to take a hard line on defense and get rid of everyone who sucks at it and not sign or draft anyone else who does.  They haven't done that, they tend to go for generalists, and the result is the team still sucks and the defense is still awful.

I think the WFT needs to take a similar approach to fixing their absolutely dreadful skill talent on offense.  They need to create an identity and design a scheme for it, and they need to be rigid in sticking to the parameters and mindset of building that scheme.  And I think that means no more slow skill players, or even guys with mediocre speed.  They need to start cycling in fast guys and seeing who sticks.  Our ideal group would be a whole WR room that runs 4.3s and a group of RBs who run low 4.4s (or better).  If you give that to Turner, and then give him an OL that can give his QB some time, then he can design any kind of offense he wants and let him play with match ups on gameday without really changing anything about his scheme.

The offense needs a strong identity more than anything, and that's the one I would be trying to build, especially with Fitzpatrick quarterbacking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

With the price of FA WRs it will probably take 3/33 or 3/36 to get Samuel and again other teams have more money so....

Think it's likely more than that, like $14mil per year which may have us losing out.  We'll see.

Edited by HigSkin

Just now, HigSkin said:

Think it's likely more than that, like $14mil per year which may have us backing out.  We'll see.

Very well could be and I wouldn't be surprised.  With Meyer in Jacksonville and them having the most cap room he probably becomes a Jag but we can hope.  :)