Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Fitz is such an interesting specimen.

He looks like he hardly spends any time working out. He also doesn't look like the type of guy who would spend much time in the film room.

But looks can be deceiving.

He reminds me a little bit, of another Washington QB of the past ; like a modern-day Kilmer ; despite him not having a beard that I can recall.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’ve got a great chance of getting a receiver here. We also need to be extending Scherff onto a LTD  to squeeze more cap space for this year.

Signing Fitz increases our chances of extending Scherff ;

Scherff must be excited about protecting a QB who is also his Grizzly Beard Brother.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

over 40 years in show biz and Danny Glover's best know scene is him sitting on a ****ter with his pants around his ankles...😆

beats anything in that travesty "Gone Fishin'".  Was 1 of 2 movies in my life that I walked out of the theater in.  Other was Breakin' 2: Electrc Boogalo.    Not enough narcotics in the world could save those movies.  lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think you struggle to accommodate one year deals at those high values with limited cap space.

I think this is a big part of it.  With multi year deals you can spread the cap hit around a bit while still giving the player a big pay day up front in the form of a signing bonus.  You get a $20 million dollar check in your bank account on Wednesday, I get the player for $12 million a year with an $8 million dollar cap hit this year.  One year deals don't offer the cap flexibility most teams value - especially this year.  

• Like 1

posted this in another thread but flows here too

In the past Keim said he didn't expect an aggressive trade up for a QB but might chase one in the first if they drop closer to their pick where the draft capital isn't high. Also building trade capital for 2022 is on the table.  Also their inclination isn't to dump Allen or Heinicke.  This post is tougher for me to dicipher.  I bet he talks about it in his next podcast, I am curious because I bet his intel on this is stronger now that it actually has gone down. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41199/ryan-fitzpatricks-arrival-wont-keep-washington-from-drafting-a-qb-early

SHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team knows exactly what it's getting in quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick: A guy who can move the ball, will be fun and at times maddening, and can serve as a mentor. Fitzpatrick will also turn 39 during the season, which is why his arrival doesn't signal the end of Washington's quarterback search.

Fitzpatrick is what everyone thinks he is: A stopgap quarterback who can help a team win now while waiting for someone else to help later. And that player could still come through the draft.

Had Washington pursued a different quarterback -- whether it be former first-round picks such as Mitchell Trubisky (Bears), Marcus Mariota (Raiders) or Sam Darnold (Jets) -- it would possibly have been more tempted to see if that guy could still develop into a quality starter.

With Fitzpatrick, it's all about his ability to help now as a player, and in the future as a mentor. That's why it's not out of the question Washington could take a quarterback early in the 2021 NFL draft. What round that's in (Washington has the No. 19 overall pick), who knows?

Don't forget: Offensive coordinator Scott Turner and general manager Martin Mayhew attended the pro day of North Dakota State's Trey Lance last week. If they like Lance and have a chance to draft him, having Fitzpatrick plus Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke and Steven Montez won't stop them.

Also, most of the quarterbacks in this draft expected to go in the first round are relatively inexperienced -- Alabama's Mac Jones has started 17 games; Lance has started 17 games and played just one this past season; Ohio State's Justin Fields has started 22 games. But all have skills worth developing if given time.

That means not having to play those quarterbacks immediately. Having a guy like Fitzpatrick buys a young kid time, while also learning from an experienced veteran -- as Tua Tagovailoa did last season in Miami. And Fitzpatrick could stick around beyond 2021 as a backup.

Had Washington waited to address the position in the draft, it would have entered the season with three young and relatively inexperienced quarterbacks plus a rookie. Yes, the team just gave Heinicke $1.5 million in guaranteed money and the coaching staff does like Allen. But there isn't a QB of whom the team can rightly say, "This is our guy for the future."

Until you have that player, you're always searching for him.

Now, however, Washington has its bridge quarterback. If they can't draft a quarterback they like, then they could see how Heinicke or Allen develops, and then try the QB search again next offseason.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

beats anything in that travesty "Gone Fishin'".  Was 1 of 2 movies in my life that I walked out of the theater in.  Other was Breakin' 2: Electrc Boogalo.    Not enough narcotics in the world could save those movies.  lol

Not everyday you see a Breaking 2 Electric Boogalo reference. Holy crap I'm old.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Maybe we can steal a WR this off-season. We absolutely need one, and instead of using a 1st on a WR we could use that on an OT that falls, since that's the other high-price no QB position on offense that we are in need of.

Or a corner or backer. I am with you. The smart play is signing a wr2 in FA. It just opens up your draft board completely. 

• Like 1

Breer just on, he said he heard that Fitzpatrick was a key target after they missed out on Stafford.  They see themselves as a contender now.   If you give up capital for Darnld or Wentz or players like that you are squandering trade capital for bigger potential targets including trading up in the draft.    They can win now.  Thus buys them time to find someone special that they swing hard on if an opportunity arises.   If they fall hard for a QB they can go get him still.   He said similar to how KC bought time with Alex who they liked until they found a guy they loved. 

More or less he said they are willing to take a big swing but won't force it on a guy they don't love.  This gives them flexibility to do it without panic. 

They feel they are a LB and a DB from having an elite defense.  If they can just make their offense average -- then they are in business.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Or a corner or backer. I am with you.

On a defense with a disappointing secondary and backers, already as it is, we just lost our best CB and perhaps 2nd best LB.

Not that I'm crying over the loss of KPL, but the losses even further magnify the needs at the 2 positions...plus FS.

I hope they have some guys they're aiming at in FA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

On a defense with a disappointing secondary and backers, already as it is, we just lost our best CB and perhaps 2nd best LB.

Not that I'm crying over the loss of KPL, but the losses even further magnify the needs at the 2 positions...plus FS.

I hope they have some guys they're aiming at in FA.

did I miss something? Who?

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer just on, he said he heard that Fitzpatrick was a key target after they missed out on Stafford.  They see themselves as a contender now.   If you give up capital for Darnld or Wentz or players like that you are squandering trade capital for bigger potential targets including trading up in the draft.    They can win now.  Thus buys them time to find someone special that they swing hard on if an opportunity arises.   If they fall hard for a QB they can go get him still.   He said similar to how KC bought time with Alex who they liked until they found a guy they loved. 

More or less he said they are willing to take a big swing but won't force it on a guy they don't love.  This gives them flexibility to do it without panic. 

They feel they are a LB and a DB from having an elite defense.  If they can just make their offense average -- then they are in business.

I listened to it as well. Breer is really high on this defense. And he likes Fitz a lot as well. Called him a good QB. I always like hearing national media guys takes on our teams. Gives you an idea what the vibe is around the country on Washington football. And it sounds to me like everyone knows we will not be an easy out on any week. 

• Like 2