Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I say as long as it works it's fine with me but he definitely jumps. 

Here's a pic from yesterday's "scrimmage" with Chase99 closing in just before an airborne Simba throws a perfect laser shot for a first down.

COTNAIHLXYI6VPIIDMIBGK2FR4.jpg&w=916

Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins throws as he is pressured by defensive end Chase Young during practice Monday at FedEx Field. (Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Right, but that is after he throws it. He takes a big step to the right and whips it through, you capture the follow thru. He doesn’t jump TO throw it in this case imo. We may be really nitpicking here. He threw a dime on a full sprint. 🤷🏽‍♂️.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the takes of those who watched practices, its tough for to make out this offense.  They seem to have tow running themes.

A.  Turner's offense has a lot of movement and misdirection.  2 back sets.  Funky stuff.

B.  The offense mostly struggled to move the ball and don't expect a lot of point this year.

One narrative gets me jazzed, the other makes me pause.  The kicker for me was listening to Les Carpenter yesterday saying he doesn't think they will score much and suggested they will likely put up barely more than last year.

But a lot more optimism on the defense.  Can't wait to see. 

I think we have to remember just how young this team is on offense.  We're counting on a lot of people who either have never performed or have to perform better than they ever have.  And they're almost all young or inexperienced players.  

Just now, justice98 said:

I think we have to remember just how young this team is on offense.  We're counting on a lot of people who either have never performed or have to perform better than they ever have.  And they're almost all young or inexperienced players.  

And we have an essentially first time OC as well.  

And no off-season.

It's going to take some time.

To that end, I think they should run 1 flea-flicker, one statue of liberty and one hook-and-ladder per game.  Because, why the hell not?

:)

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is a better view. That initial burst is crazy. He runs like a Mobile LB in this clip. 

This gives a view of the play from the snap.  It's an RPO roll-out with a levels concept field-side.  Dwayne only had three options on this play:

- First, complete the handoff to Gibson for a loss as DaRon Payne is already in the backfield near the mesh point.

Or pull it and sprint out and either

- Get it out quicker by taking the low option to Sprinkle, but the flat defender is waiting for Sprinkle and the safety is breaking on that throw.  If you take that option it'll be dangerous throw that ends up with a pick or a big hit and the best outcome is like a two yard gain.

- Hold it until the throwing lane opens up and take the high option to the WR by the boundary for the 13 yard gain.

Dwayne read the play right and took the best option and his execution was perfect.  To be clear, stopping to set his feet for a throw was not an option on that rep whatsoever.  In that situation where a defender is chasing you it never is.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This gives a view of the play from the snap.  It's an RPO roll-out with a levels concept field-side.  Dwayne only had three options on this play:

- First, complete the handoff to Gibson for a loss as DaRon Payne is already in the backfield near the mesh point.

Or pull it and sprint out and either

- Get it out quicker by taking the low option to Sprinkle, but the flat defender is waiting for Sprinkle and the safety is breaking on that throw.  If you take that option it'll be dangerous throw that ends up with a pick or a big hit and the best outcome is like a two yard gain.

- Hold it until the throwing lane opens up and take the high option to the WR by the boundary for the 13 yard gain.

Dwayne read the play right and took the best option and his execution was perfect.  To be clear, stopping to set his feet for a throw was not an option on that rep whatsoever.  In that situation where a defender is chasing you it never is.

Payne is amazing at blowing up that run. If he handed it off, that's a tackle for a loss. Good execution by the offense selling the play. Holy **** is Young a monster. Seeing a guy take off like that and close on him that fast is just not a thing you see.

Kaleke Hudson Michigan lb?...that's way awesome to see about him and ap...championship!!..next to sdh I'm eyeing Hudson 👀

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Khaleke Hudson Michigan lb?...that's way awesome to see about him and ap...championship!!..next to sdh I'm eyeing Hudson 👀

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Les Carpenter isn't on an island, from what I recall everyone watching practice or close enough have said the offense has struggled to move the ball.  It wasn't put on Haskins.  It was put on the whole offense.  I gather from how you articulated your point you think they are off to think this because of all the elements that you think have likely improved.  But in their defense they were just commenting on whether the offense is moving the ball in practice and they said they have distinctly struggled to do so. 

Carpenter like the others who watched the practice are high on the defense.  Seems like their consensus is its a 6 win team more or less because of the defense.

But they are just guessing like all of us are.  Will see. 

I think my question would be - if the defense looks so good... is the offense really as “bad” as it appears, or is it the level of competition?  Obviously it’s probably both.  I guess we’ll find out the ratio soon enough.  

The oline is still my biggest concern as of now, particularly as they impact both the run and pass game.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I think my question would be - if the defense looks so good... is the offense really as “bad” as it appears, or is it the level of competition?  Obviously it’s probably both.  I guess we’ll find out the ratio soon enough.  

The oline is still my biggest concern as of now, particularly as they impact both the run and pass game.  

That's gotta feel pretty awesome if you're on the offense and our defense really is that good and you're not feeling great, then go to play some team with a bunk D and tear it up.

Archived