Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

Being the current topic and something @Skinsinparadise have talked about in regards to last season. We went into last season knowing we'd be a bad team, so we cheered for a bad team and were happy with loses. Never wanted to be punked, but never wanted to win. That was our rock bottom. This season isn't "thee" season for us. It's the season that get's us into those conversations. I won't cheer for a loss week 17, even if we are going into it 6-9. A spot or two in the draft is not what this season is about. It's a cultural change. Last year we saw some of our youngest players still showing fight when other players had clearly given up. That culture is dead.

As @stevemcqueen1 was saying, we have very little settled talent on offense. We may have some surprises, but that will just be lucky going down the road for us. Sims might show out. Gibson in a learning year. I hope Love can stick around for next year. I hope one of our TEs shows out and is a legit TE for us. I expect next years draft to be very offensively loaded for us. I think the newness of Turner and his system will gt us some wins, probably a few loses too, but it remains on the shoulders of Dwayne and AP right now. 

So my current analysis, nutshelled so I don’t type for an hour...

QB: No real opinion. It’s a wait and see year for me. Last year gets thrown out due to a positive Haskins offseason, the Smith story and snagging Allen.

RB: Peterson is a good early down back but older and a worry for injuries in my mind. Gibson and McKissick are wild cards.

WR: McLaurin and other guys.

TE: Not going to be a great group. But won’t be as bad as many here anticipated. 

OL: Uh oh.

DL: Uh oh. But in a good way.

LB: Don’t like the group as a whole. Davis is older, but a vet. Holcomb needs to show he can play downhill and in coverage. Bostic is Bostic. The other guys I’ve heard nothing from. I am concerned here. Not OL concerned, but close.

Safeties: Apke is the camp crush. And it sounds like he’s going to do well. But let’s see it live. Collins is a solid strong safety, if he’s used that way he will be good. 

Corners: If Darby was our second corner and the rest of the group stayed the same just with a better top corner? I’d be hopeful. But I am nervous with the group as it is with Darby as the top guy. 

Playmakers on both side of the ball: Gibson, Young tip the scales as a big positive for us. McLaurin and Sims are electric players.

So my analysis, without having seen ****... is that our playmaking type players are going to win games for us. If they can’t do it, we don’t win.

Also add the Jets to my teams we’re better than list... simply because their FO is lacking.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Corners: If Darby was our second corner and the rest of the group stayed the same just with a better top corner? I’d be hopeful. But I am nervous with the group as it is with Darby as the top guy. 

Darby is supposed to be having an exceptional camp, worthy of being a #1 corner. As well as the best camp of any player, perhaps.

That's coming from a lot of sources, including D-Hall, who of course is a credible source when it comes to rating CB play.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Darby is supposed to be having an exceptional camp, worthy of being a #1 corner.

That's coming from a lot of sources, including D-Hall, who of course is a credible source when it comes to rating CB play.

His body of work in the past doesn’t match that. And, how much of his camp being positive is due to the offense?

Let’s see it live. I’m not locked into these opinions, though. I’m not with the team every day, so things could be much different. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

His body of work in the past doesn’t match that. And, how much of his camp being positive is due to the offense?

Let’s see it live. I’m not locked into these opinions, though. I’m not with the team every day, so things could be much different. 

Just to be devils advocate because...well...why the hell not...

How do you know that the poor OLine play in camp is because of the awesomeness of the DLine? Hmmmmmm?

;)

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He was hurt alot and that hurt is ability to play effectively. Hopefully this will be a healthy year for him.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If he absolutely blows our expectations out of the water with his production, then yeah, that definitely effects how you draft or sign the WR position moving forward, but short of something like that happening, I would still go into this offseason looking to aggressively add talent at WR.

I don't think much of Harmon, I like AGG more, but I also think there might be a limit to what he can do on the field.  Neither really show raw ability to separate that can be improved.

There exists, a possible future, where the Bears start awful.  Trubisky tanks them.  So they trade Allen Robinson to us, he's a free agent in 2021 anyways. 

This draft has to be pure BPA, the extra lack of film scares me about evaluating prospects.  With that uncertainty, spending draft picks on trades makes some sense.  I'd also be happy trading back heavily in the draft for 2022 picks.

I hope we keep Bryce Love and use 21 personnel as our primary personnel group because that's our best bet for compensating for a very thin WR group.  McKissic and Gibson need to be near our team leaders in receptions for us to have a good passing game.

I'd like to go crazy and alternate between 20 and 21 personnel.  Reduce how much we rely on TE and that 3rd WR.  I think rumor has it that in 21 or 12 personnel, Sims is moved to outside WR.

I think our offense is likely to perform far better on 1st and 2nd downs, than it will on 3rd.

21 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

He was hurt alot and that hurt is ability to play effectively. Hopefully this will be a healthy year for him.

Stay healthy? He plays for the WFT....let's hope our medical staff is much improved. That's one of the biggest question marks as far as I'm concerned.

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

his body of work featured a lot of injuries.  Early on he was pretty good

55 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Just to be devils advocate because...well...why the hell not...

How do you know that the poor OLine play in camp is because of the awesomeness of the DLine? Hmmmmmm?

;)

you don’t... except for the fact we know our OL talent is subpar. 

46 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

23 minutes ago, carex said:

his body of work featured a lot of injuries.  Early on he was pretty good

So he can’t get hurt here?

55 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

We are all holding out hope for that but guys with multiple leg injuries tend to get hurt again. My focus is on this year so I’m hoping he stays healthy and balls out but if so then I’d be really concerned about handing him a contract because I’ll never trust his long term ability to stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Being the current topic and something @Skinsinparadise have talked about in regards to last season. We went into last season knowing we'd be a bad team, so we cheered for a bad team and were happy with loses. Never wanted to be punked, but never wanted to win. That was our rock bottom. This season isn't "thee" season for us. It's the season that get's us into those conversations. I won't cheer for a loss week 17, even if we are going into it 6-9. A spot or two in the draft is not what this season is about. It's a cultural change. Last year we saw some of our youngest players still showing fight when other players had clearly given up. That culture is dead.

I am in the same place but I might change my mind depending on context.  If the season really goes south, I'd want for example landing Sewell if we have a shot or someone like Jamarr  Chase.  I think there are some players in this draft that are special.  So yeah if lets say we are 5-10 and the Giants are right there with us, I am not going to root for us to get that win and the Giants for example to land Chase.  So for me it depends on context late in the season.  For me it might be rooting for Chase round 2, this time the dude with Chase as his first name. 

But I agree we want Rivera to bring culture change and in turn root for progress. 

Am I wrong, but didn't they increase the Roster size to 55 people this year?  Why is everyone cutting Peyton Barber?  We can have 5 RB's with two extra roster spots.  I think they let you dress 1 extra person this year, if it's an offensive lineman.  And the practice squads are like 15 people and like 5 or 6 spots can go to "ineligible" people, meaning vets who don't have a job, can be on a PS get a little money and be ready to play if someone gets hurt.  The new Covid rules negotiated with the NFLPA.

6 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Am I wrong, but didn't they increase the Roster size to 55 people this year?  Why is everyone cutting Peyton Barber?  We can have 5 RB's with two extra roster spots.  I think they let you dress 1 extra person this year, if it's an offensive lineman.  And the practice squads are like 15 people and like 5 or 6 spots can go to "ineligible" people, meaning vets who don't have a job, can be on a PS get a little money and be ready to play if someone gets hurt.  The new Covid rules negotiated with the NFLPA.

The 53 man roster stays the same.

The main differences are ; more players allowed on the PS, no restrictions of eligibility for PS for 6 of the players, more players allowed to be active on gameday, and more players can go on and off the IR the same year.

I'd stick Barber on PS actually, as one of the players who doesn't require eligibility.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The only knock on Darby ever is health. He's a true number one CB and can play with anyone talent wise. But yes, dudes always hurt and banged up.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

His body of work in a similar system as this one and pre-injury does match though.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

you don’t... except for the fact we know our OL talent is subpar. 

So continuing on being devils advocate or just being a plain dick...you can choose ;)

That was last year...this is this year. If Haskins can change why can't the OLine? 

:)

Haasan Reddick, a guy the Redskins staff liked prior to the draft, is a potential target for us in a trade. Several teams are interested in he & Hakeem Butler, neither has a role in AZ as of today. 

Denzel Perryman is another guy Washington has some interest in.

Tyrell Crosby is a name we may have interest in, but perhaps Det wanted more than we were willing to offer. 

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Haasan Reddick, a guy the Redskins staff liked prior to the draft, is a potential target for us in a trade. Several teams are interested in he & Hakeem Butler, neither has a role in AZ as of today. 

Denzel Perryman is another guy Washington has some interest in.

Tyrell Crosby is a name we may have interest in, but perhaps Det wanted more than we were willing to offer. 

Im all for signing people who can make the team better now.  Im over the signings for “depth.”  Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but I don’t think it helps a whole lot on game day.

Archived