Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

What's his injury? 

It's the same problem with Alex Smith. Probably would be nice to IR him, but what's the actual injury? Unless the NFL has relaxed the rules due to Covid, they're otherwise cracked down on the fake injury IR maneuvers.

New IR rules for 2020.

Unlimited re-activations for both football AND non-football injuries

Players can be activated after 3 weeks now.  Once activated back to practice the team has 21 additional days to determine whether that player is on the active or goes to FULL SEASON IR. 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

New IR rules for 2020.

Players can be activated after 3 weeks now.  Once activated back to practice the team has 21 additional days to determine whether that player is on the active or goes to FULL SEASON IR. 

They still have to make the 53 then be put on IR.  So if you are putting Foster, Smith, Love on there, which 3 are you cutting that you are hoping to get back?

16 minutes ago, daveakl said:

They still have to make the 53 then be put on IR.  So if you are putting Foster, Smith, Love on there, which 3 are you cutting that you are hoping to get back?

Very True

I don't put Love there.. just me

Not sure Smith goes there either, or Foster for that matter... not sure Foster makes the team... but for the exercise I keep Love and put Smith and Foster there. 

For Smith and Foster I'm waiving Lucas and Barber.  The team apparently likes Barber, but I don't see him being anywhere near the difference maker the other 4 guys are.   Barber likely available to bring back, but if not, there will be other guys we can carry as a 5th RB getting cut on Saturday. 

11 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Expectations should be relatively low this season. We have a whole new regime and system In place so all I really want to see is team growth. I want to see guys coming out of the locker room going ape ****, I want to see halftime adjustments, I want to see us staying aggressive in the 4th quarter and putting games away, I don’t want to see constant confusion and miscommunication. Bottom line is I want to see this team come together and play with intensity and hunger.

i understand all of the knocks we’re getting from nfl analysts and I really can’t argue. 

Offense: 

qb- Haskins certainly shows promise, but still can’t be considered top 16 at the moment.

ol- below average as a whole. Worried their play will hinder Haskins’ growth

wr- one great wr, surrounded by ehhhh.

te- nothing to say here

rb- I’d say average, definitely above avg if the young guns pan out

overall- Unless sorcery is at work, I see it being very difficult for this unit to crack the top 16.

Defense:

dl- beasts, has to be one of the best units in the league

lb- a lot of promise, a lot of potential, but nothing solid we can bank on. I’d say average would be a fair projection.

secondary- average to above average. If Darby has come in and already impressed del rio enough to take the starting spot then I’m thinking he has regained some of his former studly self.

wildcard- not very talked about, but we have ourselves one of the best d coordinators in the game. This gives me a sense of confidence that I haven’t felt since Greg Williams days.

overall- I see this unit around top 10, with even higher potential if the offense isn’t a 3-and-out machine.

I think this is pretty accurate, though I'm a bit more pessimistic at running back. A 35 year old Peterson is probably bottom third of the league at this stage of his career (which is still pretty amazing given his age, but he's not the player he once was) and everyone else is a wild card. Love and Gibson haven't taken an NFL snap and McKissic has had few opportunities (and was just non-tendered by Detroit). There's upside here, but nothing proven. Show it to me first before I call the unit league average

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

New IR rules for 2020.

Right, but you still need to be injured to go on IR. What's Foster's injury?

11 minutes ago, daveakl said:

And they need actual injuries

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pretty much, they’ll be in the game planning and final roster construction phase of evaluation soon (or are already there), so the media access and ability to cover practices drops dramatically 

I hope they're not game-planning a couple days before final cuts.

Because that means some players who are cut, are on the team when they are game-planning, which makes them that much more attractive for Philly to claim them, and get some of our gameplan.

Always thought they didn't start gameplanning until after final cuts.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Right, but you still need to be injured to go on IR. What's Foster's injury?

That's a conversation that needs to be had.  I BELIEVE the thought is that he's not fully recovered which is why we're hearing next to nothing about him.  The question is can you still classify it as an injury?  I don't believe he's listed as injured so who knows.

I actually question whether or not he even makes the roster as a healthy cut... If he's not the Reuben Foster of old, I don't see a reason to keep him around for the final year of his deal before he's an UFA. 

37 minutes ago, daveakl said:

27 minutes ago, Jericho said:

That's not a problem.

We have people working on their injury classification, as we speak.

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope they're not game-planning a couple days before final cuts.

Because that means some players who are cut, are on the team when they are game-planning, which makes them that much more attractive for Philly to claim them, and get some of our gameplan.

Always thought they didn't start gameplanning until after final cuts.

“soon (or are already there)” covers this, I agree with you.

I feel like we had grossly under utilized backs for a decade... plus. We'd dress 3 one doesn't play.... telegraphing every damn move by never passing with our 1st down back and then always passing with our hands back.  Except when we'd run Thompson up the gut from heavy jumbo on 3rd and short and it was like watching him run into a brick wall.

Having only 1 injury prone hands back (nothing against CT) on our team simply limited our offense.

Rivera just finished a conference.

Was asked about "analytics". He is not a fan of it, practically not at all.

Explained why they can be misleading and irrelevant in specific circumstances.

Great answer that inspires confidence in him.

Also, something key I just realized, that I havn't seen mentioned is JDR was head coach over David Sharpe for a year.

So he must have seen something in him, to give Rivera confidence that Sharpe could be useful

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

A linebacker we claimed from...Jacksonville (I think?) about a month or two ago.

yep.  Hasn't really practiced from what I can tell.  I think he got hurt first day and haven't seen him since.  Number 45, I don't even recall seeing him in the pictures.

Also, when asked about Alex Smith being on 53-man roster, Rivera said: “He’s done some really good things, but there are still some things we have to sit down and talk about as an org. ... I would never rule it out b/c of who Alex is as a man and as a competitor.” #Huddle&Flow

Archived