Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He's listed at 198 lbs, and that's 20 pounds lighter than Collins. I was under the impression that a strong safety should really be bigger than what he is.

He seems pretty lanky, and hard to imagine him being able to give and take the punishment at SS.

Does size really matter at SS ?

Size doesn't hurt, but I think our safety roles are more general than we're imagining.  I think our safeties will play a multitude of zones no matter what side of the formation on which they align.  Realistically, there are going to be times when either one will be playing man coverage too.

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

On the other hand, thought I heard someone say the team was pleased with Peyton's blocking. If he happens to be our best blocking back, maybe that's enough for him to make the team, who knows ?

But you actually have to play Barber to take advantage of his blocking skills. That's the problem. He might be an excellent blocker, but if Peterson is a better runner and Gibson and McKissic are far better receivers, why even give Barber snaps? Most 4th RBs are inactive on game day anyhow. Seems like a limited skill set.

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

We’re paying Moses and Scheriff pretty good money. The line shouldn’t be that weak if you feel confident enough to pay 2 of the 5 linemen decent change.

Oline scares the hell out of me. I’m worried that they’ll be so bad that they won’t allow Haskins to develop. Scherff is very good, Moses and Roullier are average, and the left side is bad. Overall that equates to below average.

maybe there will be an unforeseen step forward for a couple of these guys, but I’m definitely not banking on that.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He's listed at 198 lbs, and that's 20 pounds lighter than Collins. I was under the impression that a strong safety should really be bigger than what he is.

He seems pretty lanky, and hard to imagine him being able to give and take the punishment at SS.

Does size really matter at SS ?

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I thought we drafted him to play FS.  But I didn’t pay attention to his combine, scouting report, basically none of his college career.  I just assumed we’d draft one because of the Montae Nicholson situation.  I was wrong.

He played 12 games at CB because of an injury before going back to the only position he's played. SS.

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

Oline scares the hell out of me. I’m worried that they’ll be so bad that they won’t allow Haskins to develop. Scherff is very good, Moses and Roullier are average, and the left side is bad. Overall that equates to below average.

maybe there will be an unforeseen step forward for a couple of these guys, but I’m definitely not banking on that.

I can see how this unit doesn't generate much confidence. And while we all may be familiar with all of our projected starting linemen, we're not quite as familiar with our new OL coach.

He comes with an impressive resumè. So I'm gonna hold out hope to see if Matsko is the wild card, who can make diamonds out of poo.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure but its been mentioned as among potential punishments among the national media.  But I don't know. 

I don't recall the Patriots, Panthers or Colts being stripped draft picks iirc. The Panthers would be the closest comparison. 

11 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I don't recall the Patriots, Panthers or Colts being stripped draft picks iirc. The Panthers would be the closest comparison. 

The Patriots have lost draft picks, but those were football-related cheating scandals not off field scandals.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a nightmare outcome.  Is there a precedent for stripping draft picks for non football transgressions though?  I thought that kind of punishment was reserved for cheating or tampering or setting up bounties.

They won’t remove picks for non football related activities. This isn’t spygate, bountygate, deflategate, etc.

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Patriots have lost draft picks, but those were football-related cheating scandals not off field scandals.

The examples I brought up were of non football related oopsies. Until the last few years a more severe punishment would have been to let us keep our draft picks.

2 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

The examples I brought up were of non football related oopsies. Until the last few years a more severe punishment would have been to let us keep our draft picks.

Oh were you referring to the Kraft massage parlor scandal rather than the cheating ones? My bad, makes sense 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Size doesn't hurt, but I think our safety roles are more general than we're imagining.  I think our safeties will play a multitude of zones no matter what side of the formation on which they align.  Realistically, there are going to be times when either one will be playing man coverage too.

This scheme absolutely uses more traditional safeties. Benefit of a simpler cover 1/3 scheme. 

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

But you actually have to play Barber to take advantage of his blocking skills. That's the problem. He might be an excellent blocker, but if Peterson is a better runner and Gibson and McKissic are far better receivers, why even give Barber snaps? Most 4th RBs are inactive on game day anyhow. Seems like a limited skill set.

Depending on the type of blocking they loved, you look at him like a FB as opposed to a HB.

Just read Standig's rooster predictions.

He thinks Isaiah Wright makes it but no Trey Quinn and Cam Sims.  The one thing that struck me about Sims was a year ago he was interviewed by someone and he revealed he's not that into learning route running and instead he just likes to play, see ball, catch ball, it was something like that.  I just thought it was an odd thing to reveal in an interview.  Came off like he didn't like to study, he just liked to play.  It stuck with me because it was such an odd revelation and I wondered if that had anything to do with the dude not sticking on the roster over the years.  That is, maybe they don't trust his route running? 

He has 5 backs making the roster.

Only 2 TE's.  No way I see that happening. 

Reuben Foster doesn't make it.  He thinks KPL and Bostic are the biggest locks to start at LB

Sean Davis made the cut but barely he said at safety.  Curl is in.

Archived