Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

3 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

They might just be waiting until the last minute to keep him healthy.  Maybe a game time decision?  We know what he can do already, so the reps don’t bother me so much.

But this is a completely new secondary learning a completely new scheme.  You want those players to develop chemistry together in practice before the regular season starts.  I think this is probably something more serious than what they've been saying, but I hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

AP may be the first move I don’t agree with this off season BUT, I trust this staff enough that I can understand why it was done and am not mad about it.

Well if Peterson goes unclaimed I can see them signing him after the 1st game so his salary isn't guaranteed. It's actually a common tactic.

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What is he not solid at? I’m not a big supporter of the dude, but I value his staying power and history of starting. He’s known to have 3 down value,  blocks, runs hard, and has good hands.

Full disclosure, I was totally okay with him being cut for AP.  

He has no choice but to run hard because his vision isn't that good and he's got no moves at all.  He's a plodder, but doesn't get much yardage after contact.  He averaged almost a full yard less after contact than AP did.  Isn't much of a receiver either.  If he's in, I don't see how that still doesn't telegraph the play.  He's an ok blocker.   I sound like I'm bashing this dude, I just feel the team is worse now than they were yesterday at RB, if Barber is the main guy.  Barber has no long term potential if that's what this is about.   

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anybody who bets on Gibson to win that award with Burrow (and Tua for a partial season) and tons of other skill position rookies who could have big roles in play...deserves to lose their money. It’s very rarely not a QB.

Historically true. However, recently RBs have claimed a fair share of that award.

AP OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR WINNERS (since 2013)

2019 KYLER MURRAY QB

2018 SAQUON BARKLEY RB

2017 ALVIN KAMARA RB

2016 DAK PRESCOTT QB

2015 TOD GURLEY RB

2014 ODELL BECKHAM JR WR

2013 EDDIE LACY RB

Just saying that nothing means anything until the whistle blows and the hitting starts in earnest.

Maybe, just maybe, Gibson is this years surprise player that catches the league by storm. We can dream...

27 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Has there been any shift in the first team reps at RB?  Hasn't AP been getting the lion's share of them all this time?  If they thought this might be coming, have they been working other guys in with the first team?  It just seems abrupt.  Maybe it's not, but it seems that way.  But I haven't been charting training camps practice reps at RB either.

AP said that in the last week the RB coach pulled him aside and told him they were going to get the young guys more 1st team reps. And further back than that, when the media was at every practice, it was reported that Gibson was getting lots of 1st team looks.

11 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well if Peterson goes unclaimed I can see them signing him after the 1st game so his salary isn't guaranteed. It's actually a common tactic.

Peterson can’t be claimed as he is a vested veteran, isn’t subject to waivers

It's a surprise and in the end it might be doing a solid for AP. A team like Pittsburgh where they have real playoff hopes could use a guy like him. Here we're talking about 6 wins and a youth movement. Better today than over the weekend as teams are cutting/signing. Now a Pittsburgh or Seattle or Green Bay can make a move. 

51 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Shanahan is the exception to every rule when it comes to running the football.  They're the best to do it.  Like saying you shouldn't draft a QB high because Tom Brady was in the SB every year.

I mean this OC’s father was the OC for the leading rusher in NFL history and this OC himself had the RB with the most yards from scrimmage last year. 

If you still dream about the Hogs there’s not much we can do for you. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Surprised and sad to see Peterson get cut.  Wish he could have gone out on his own terms, and I'm hoping he ends up in a place like Tampa where he can get a real shot at a Super Bowl ring.

Seems like we're not going to carry a fifth RB now, so I wonder if this opens up a spot for Isaiah Wright?

I would have cut Barber but I see what they are doing. This is a young team. McKissic and Gibson and Love have a future with the team. If they felt like they would have to cut one of those 3 if AP stayed, I think it’s the right decision.

3 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I mean this OC’s father was the OC for the leading rusher in NFL history and this OC himself had the RB with the most yards from scrimmage last year. 

If you still dream about the Hogs there’s not much we can do for you. 

Turner was the OC for all of 4 games.  Which frankly, is an underrated thing about all this.  We're all just assuming he knows what he's doing and being OC isn't too big for him.  Rivera believes in him, in theory, if I value his opinion, that should count for something, I guess.   

But McCaffrey was better in the first half of the season when Norv was in charge than he was in the second half, particularly the end when Scott was in charge.  They were more effective on offense when Norv used him more as a runner.  This is undisputable.  He racked up a lot of catches and yards receiving in blowouts late in the year.  In Scott's 4 games as OC, they'd couldn't move the ball, would fall behind early, and then start slinging it around in the 4th quarter.  The offense was fairly ineffective in the first 3 quarters of games.  Now, we can debate that the wheels had come off the Kyle Allen bus by then, but the first half of the year, when the Panthers were at winning more, they did it with CMC making hay primarily as a runner. 

It's got nothing to do with nonsense about wanting the Hogs.

21 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I wonder if the extra roster spot from AD is actually going towards carrying an extra corner because of Fuller

Don’t think so. One of the media guys tweeted that the tackle who we signed (traded a 7th round pick for?) this week was at practice today and he’s the guy taking the roster spot

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

AP said that in the last week the RB coach pulled him aside and told him they were going to get the young guys more 1st team reps. And further back than that, when the media was at every practice, it was reported that Gibson was getting lots of 1st team looks.

Peterson can’t be claimed as he is a vested veteran, isn’t subject to waivers

Thanks,  so to clarify if he doesn't sign anywhere until after the first game I can see him being picked back up.

30 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Barber is the very definition of plodder. I've no idea what teams see in him. 

He seems to have a knack for the end zone (6 TDs in 154 carries last season) but his YPC is poor. Over the past 4 years he's averaged 3.6 YPC, including 3.1 last season; that's absolutely terrible. NFL average is a little above 4 IIRC.

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's a surprise and in the end it might be doing a solid for AP. A team like Pittsburgh where they have real playoff hopes could use a guy like him. Here we're talking about 6 wins and a youth movement. Better today than over the weekend as teams are cutting/signing. Now a Pittsburgh or Seattle or Green Bay can make a move. 

I really hope we can get 8, and be in the hunt.  Yes it’s wishful thinking.  But I never like going into a season feeling like you don’t have much to play for.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

AP may be the first move I don’t agree with this off season BUT, I trust this staff enough that I can understand why it was done and am not mad about it.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I doubt we have DROTY and OROTY both on our team battling for ROTY. But hey, who knows. 

I was surprised to see Peterson cut and was hoping he would make the team just due to his leadership and work ethic.  If you are focused on culture, he is a great guy to have in the building.

I think cutting AP reflects the coaches desire to have a running back committee that complements each other well, and a willingness to spread the ball around.  Gibson and love will be dual threats and be able to run and catch (maybe I'm being too optimistic with love as a receiver, but I think he can at least do it well enough to present the threat).  Mckissic will be more of a 3rd down back, with barber handling short yardage / goal line.   I don't think Barber being younger has much to do with keeping him, because let's be honest, I don't think they penciled barber in for the long term.  I think it has more to do with who would accept a committee / part time role better, and we know AP has gotten upset in NO and week 1 last year with his playing status.   

As far as Gibson contending for offensive rookie of the Year, it's possible, but considering his limited touches in college and the fact that three other backs on the roster have a significant role, I just don't think he will get the touches or the stats to win the award.

That being said, I am very excited to see how this group is utilized.  I am confident that our days of being super predictable will be over.  I think this will help Haskins big time.

Archived