Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was into the image of Hentges.  Big dude.  Can block.  Alabama.  But alas, it seems like he had a subpar camp.

Boy does our TE group look weak.  Feel bad for Haskins on that front. 

I think what really killed him is that he couldn’t practice regularly and there were no preseason games. He’s a gamer who is known for making ugly gritty clutch plays during competition. If he had a preseason game or two and stood out that could have compensated for his lack of practice time.

It also seems that Rivera is as serious as Gibbs when it comes to special teams play. The backups we keep will all be expected to shine on teams and that wasn’t Hentges forte.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

8 DL locks: Young, Sweat, Kerrigan, Anderson, Payne, Allen Ioannidis, Settle

6 LB locks: Davis, Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, Pierre-Louis, Hudson, Bostic

10 DB locks: Darby, Fuller, Moreland, Moreau, Colvin, Stroman, Collins, Apke, Curl, Everett

That leaves one last spot for Smith-Williams.

What’s really going to be interesting is if we decide to put a waiver claim on a TE, WR, or OT that gets cut today. We have second priority on anyone we want.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

8 DL locks: Young, Sweat, Kerrigan, Anderson, Payne, Allen Ioannidis, Settle

6 LB locks: Davis, Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, Pierre-Louis, Hudson, Bostic

10 DB locks: Darby, Fuller, Moreland, Moreau, Colvin, Stroman, Collins, Apke, Curl, Everett

That leaves one last spot for Smith-Williams.

That looks right to me. The only doubt I have is Colvin. 

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

That looks right to me. The only doubt I have is Colvin. 

Now that Davis and Brailford have been cut, and Foster has been IR'd, I'm not sure who he is competing against any more.  I think we'll carry 10 DBs and I can't think of any other ones that we have I'm the building right now.  Probably take an outside signing for him to lose his spot.

So it's starting to looks like the following (though OL is a question and I'm sure they'll look at waiver claims):

OFFENSE (25)

QB (3): Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen, Alex Smith

RB (4): Antonio Gibson, J.D. McKissic, Peyton Barber, Bryce Love

WR (5): Terry McLaurin, Steven Sims, Dontrelle Inman, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Isaiah Wright

TE (3): Logan Thomas, Marcus Baugh, Jeremy Sprinkle

OL (10): Geron Christian, Morgan Moses, Saahdiq Charles, David Sharpe, Brandon Scherff, Wes Martin, Wes Schweitzer, Chase Roullier, Keith Ismael, and Josh Garnett (maybe Cornelius Lucas instead?)

DEFENSE (25)

DL (9): Montez Sweat, Chase Young, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Ryan Kerrigan, Tim Settle, Ryan Anderson, James Smith-Williams

LB (6): Cole Holcomb, Jon Bostic, Thomas Davis. Kevin Pierre-Louis, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Khaleke Hudson

CB (6): Ronald Darby, Fabian Moreau, Kendall Fuller, Jimmy Moreland, Aaron Colvin, Greg Stroman

S (4): Landon Collins, Troy Apke, Deshazor Everett, Kamren Curl

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K (1): Dustin Hopkins

P (1): Tress Way

LS (1): Nick Sundberg

4 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

What’s really going to be interesting is if we decide to put a waiver claim on a TE, WR, or OT that gets cut today. We have second priority on anyone we want.

I could see us doing that for those positions.  Hakeem Butler is the guy I want us to sign.  Local kid.  Far tougher and more talented than Cam Sims.

My thinking is they'll go 25 offense and 25 defense, and they already have a pretty good 25 in defense, so I'm not really expecting anyone new on that side of the ball.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Now that Davis and Brailford have been cut, and Foster has been IR'd, I'm not sure who he is competing against any more.  I think we'll carry 10 DBs and I can't think of any other ones that we have I'm the building right now.  Probably take an outside signing for him to lose his spot.

Danny Johnson.  He's made the team once

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We ALWAYS lose in trades

You're just saying that because we haven't won a trade since 2000.  :P 

Well, we won in the Ricky Williams trade, and then the subsequent trade to get Bailey, then the trades to get up and get the #2 and #3 picks (LaVar and Samuels.) 

I will say, I think the low-key trades this year have been equal.  I know you don't like the Dunny trade or the TW trade, but both had circumstances around them, so it's probably the best they could have gotten to get rid of both "issues."  The trade for Kyle Allen was fine, we get a good backup QB for a 5th round pick.  You know what you would love to get in the 5th round?  A backup QB.  Shrug.  Some folks really lost their mind over a 5th round pick, but it seemed reasonable to me. And they flipped a 6th for a 7th for a backup tackle.  That's a big whatever nothing burger. 

So, I think most of the trades by THIS group have done have been mostly break-even if you consider all of the circumstances. 

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You don’t think they knew he was trouble? They couldn’t have known he’d get arrested for a robbery like a couple weeks later, but they bailed and it wasn’t just bc he wanted to get paid more imo

Learning From Star Wars | Star Wars Amino

I think they got a tip off from Yoda nothing good was going to come from keeping Dunny around.  What that bad thing was, difficult to see.  

52 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Quinn cut?

CAM SIMS HAS MADE THE SQUAD!

I'm sorry for your loss.  

You know, your Cam Sims fascination is starting to rival @McD5's fascination with Betts back in 2005.  (That comment for the 20 or so of us who were active back in the day.)

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was into the image of Hentges.  Big dude.  Can block.  Alabama.  But alas, it seems like he had a subpar camp.

Boy does our TE group look weak.  Feel bad for Haskins on that front. 

Yeah, but our RB group looks pretty strong from a blocking and pass-catching perspective.  I've been saying for months, the "safety blanket" for Haskins is going to be a RB, not a TE.  In Carolina, they actually had the luxury of having both McCaffery and Olsen for Cam.  Here, there won't be that luxury. 

Thomas will probably get some catches, and he's a big (very big) body.  But this offense is going to flow through the RBs.  They will mix in deep shots to McLaurin and Sims.

My worry is without another WR on the other side of McLaurin, we're going to see EXACTLY the same problem (well kindof, McLaurin is better than any WR we had that year) in 2017.  Their best 2 pass catchers were Reed and Crowder.  Third was probably Vernon Davis.  They had Doctons and Grant on the outside.  What that did is it allowed defenses to collapse the interior, which is where the running game and TEs work.  So by not having outside threats, they allowed the TE/slot guy to be doubled up, and the front 7 to focus almost entirely on the running game.  

My hope is McLaurin is good enough to draw coverage, scheme and speed at the RB position is going to be enough to keep defenses honest.  

If they end up scoring 20+ points a game this year, a ton of credit will have to go to Scott Turner and Haskins, because they're going to have to use a lot of smoke and mirrors to sustain offense. 

If they DO end up scoring 20+ points per game, if the defense progresses to something like the 10th best defense, they could be in, and win, more games than you'd think. But they'd win every game 20-17.  

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

So it's starting to looks like the following (though OL is a question and I'm sure they'll look at waiver claims):

That OL group looks bad, but that is easily the worst WR and TE group in the NFL.  One mid round gem, two late round picks, two UDFAs, and three street free agents...

This is the group that desperately needs a talent infusion from outside.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could see us doing that for those positions.  Hakeem Butler is the guy I want us to sign.  Local kid.  Far tougher and more talented than Cam Sims.

My thinking is they'll go 25 offense and 25 defense, and they already have a pretty good 25 in defense, so I'm not really expecting anyone new on that side of the ball.

Yeah, the offense needs shoring up. That should be our focus scanning the waiver wire. Would love to get a serviceable LT but they are almost never cut. We should have a good shot at a WR or TE that can step in and help us though.

The defense, as you said, is set barring an unforseen cut by another team.

11:30 a.m. ET: Jester Weah has also been waived per a report from Nicki Jhabvala. Jhabvala noted that Weah is a practice squad candidate if he clears waivers.

Paul Adams OT added to the list of cuts.

List of Washington Football Team’s cuts so far

22 down, 8 to go

• RB Adrian Peterson
  • S Sean Davis
  • CB Ryan Lewis
  • LB Donald Payne
  • WR Trey Quinn
  • QB Steven Montez
  • OT Timon Parris
  • OT David Steinmetz
  • LB Reuben Foster (IR)
  • OL Mike Liedtke (IR)
  • C Ross Pierschbacher
  • WR Tony Brown
  • TE Hale Hentges
  • WR Cam Sims
  • DL Ryan Bee
  • EDGE Jordan Brailford
  • S Jeremy Reaves
  • TE Richard Rodgers
  • WR Johnathan Johnson
  • WR Jordan Veasy
  • WR Jester Weah
  • OT Paul Adams

50 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Should WFT have any interest in Todd Davis? He was released by the Broncos.

LB is arguably our weakest position on defense but at $5 mil he needs to come in and not just start but perform like a star if we get him. Don’t think that’s the kind of move Rivera wants to make this year.

image.png.011140c38114463c7b82d69920679e4d.png

In a surprise move, the Denver Broncos have released veteran inside linebacker Todd Davis, according to Mike Kils of 9News. The move comes a day before the NFL requires teams to cut down to the mandatory 53-man regular season rosters. Davis' salary (he was due to make $5 million this season), along with the recent acquisitions of veterans Mark Barronand Austin Calitro, is likely what made the 28-year-old linebacker expendable. The Broncos pick up $4.5 million in cap space with the move

Archived