Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Gibson looks faster than he is, because his legs are so long and powerful, that each step he takes spans about 5 yards in distance 😮

Do you mean Gibson is faster than he looks  ?

Because your description fits John Riggins perfectly, who was not slow at all.

What looked like a four yard run would  actually be five.  What looked like an eight yard run, would be10.

17 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Do you mean Gibson is faster than he looks  ?

Because your description fits John Riggins perfectly, who was not slow at all.

What looked like a four yard run would  actually be five.  What looked like an eight yard run, would be10.

It's like his body as a whole travels fast, without having to move his individual body parts like his legs, as fast as the average person, because each step covers more ground than the average runner.

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Chase with the chase.

1) Haskins definitely looks more fleet of foot than last year. That was a nice scramble.

2) Pass was pinpoint.

3) BUT...Haskins is still doing that goddamn "jump throw" that he did last season where I can't tell if he's throwing the football or dancing to "Gangnam Style". I guess if it works...

4) Chase Young. No 6'5 265 lb human being has any business moving like that. It's ludicrous. He looked like a WR.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's basically 5 games of the Panthers last season that Turner got to run the team and call plays. We have a suspect offense and if there is one advantage we have it's that nobody knows what's coming. Makes perfect sense.

I think we steal Game 1 against Philly.  But after that it wouldn't surprise me if they get the rematch and the better overall record.  We have a unique chance with no film of anything whatsoever.

1) 3-4 shift to 4-3.  Normally that's a problem for the d-line and needing new personnel, but our d-line is absolutely loaded.

2) D-line is ALSO switching from 2 gapping only to predominantly a 1 gapper. There's zero film in how our DT's function in a 1 gap scheme.

3) So take all of that, and then add in that their o-line is banged up and missing 1-2 starters.

4) Slimmed down Haskins who seems to move around the pocket and scramble to keep things alive better than last year.  If they rely on film from 2019 to pressure the QB, that could leave them unprepared.

5) Gibson/McKissic is a brand new element.  Combine that with Sims who already works well with motion/misdirection and that's a lot of randomness pre-snap for them to figure out on the fly.

6) From reports, Apke is clearly fast as hell on the field.  You know how many FS run in the low 4.3's?  I can't think of any.  Even Earl Thomas ran a 4.43.  By week 3-4 you can start exploiting holes in Apke's game.  But week 1?

7) DeSean Jackson is a threat, but their other dynamic speedster, Jalen Reagor is probably missing the game.

That's what I'm thinking of for how we steal a 'W' in Week 1.  Once teams start getting film on us, some of these benefits become less effective.  But that's a future WFT problem, not a Week 1 WFT problem.

26 minutes ago, mistertim said:

3) BUT...Haskins is still doing that goddamn "jump throw" that he did last season where I can't tell if he's throwing the football or dancing to "Gangnam Style". I guess if it works...

If it works it works.  Throwing on the run is so different.  Aaron Rodgers throws like that sometimes.  And check out the best young QB in the game right now:

Gotta agree w/ Yoda.

It’s not like he had time to re-set his feet or anything. Jumping allowed him to square his shoulders to the target and he let his arm strength do the rest. We should not be concerned with every jump throw, just the ones that are seemingly unnecessary and prevent him from utilizing good mechanics when the opportunity is available.  

That being said the dude still seems to jump throw when rolling out in many of those offseason videos (w/ no pass rush) so I don’t believe it is a problem he has solved quite yet.

He has a good brain on his shoulders tho, he’ll figure it out.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That was super disappointing. 

I knew AG was big, but damn that dude is thick. He does look like a LBer.

When he was drafted, I wondered if he was a candidate to be converted to TE. Might be talking about the wrong player. You wrote AG, I was thinking Gandy Golden.

RE: “If it works it works” in regards to Haskins jump throw...

Absolutely. If a quarterback can complete those throws with regularity in big situations, you don’t harp on mechanics.

If they struggle with it and make mistakes or don’t complete it in those situations, you aim to correct it.

As if now, Haskins is the latter. He has proven nothing, and has not yet earned the “if it works it works” treatment.

That said... if his offseason work is any indication it’s hopeful that he will earn that.

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah I feel like mechanics get thrown out the window when you're running for your life, at the point you just get the ball out in whatever way works best for you. 

If he's not running for his life and still has the same mechanics issues, then running for his life doesn't really play a role in things anymore. At that point it's just his mechanics.

7 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Jump throw is fine. Yes you can put more power in it when you have a stable base but then the hole motion gets less fluid. You then need to stop and step towards the target, that works against your current motion. 

It's an issue if you have no arm strenght or if you get hit mid air. 

A jump throw is not “fine”.

Normalizing poor mechanics is a mistake.

Just because guys like Rodgers and Mahomes can do it like they do does not make it “okay”.

It works, for them, and they’ve proven it.

Poor mechanics for a guy who has never done it before is anything but okay.

It's a baseball throw.  It's the only way you can drill a throw into that window on the move.  On that rep, he was about to get sacked and the WR was running out of bounds so the throw needed heat.  In the brief view of the rep, looks like it was a designed roll out, maybe an RPO with a  levels concept.  What's great is that he holds out for the high option and gets his open throwing lane and drills it in there instead of settling for the less rewarding and more dangerous low option throw to the TE.

That was a good play by Haskins, demonstrating highly desirable playmaking ability.  I don't see a way for him to run that rep better than he did.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a baseball throw.  It's the only way you can drill a throw into that window on the move.  On that rep, he was about to get sacked and the WR was running out of bounds so the throw needed heat.  In the brief view of the rep, looks like it was a designed roll out, maybe an RPO with a  levels concept.  What's great is that he holds out for the high option and gets his open throwing lane and drills it in there instead of settling for the less rewarding and more dangerous low option throw to the TE.

That was a good play by Haskins, demonstrating highly desirable playmaking ability.  I don't see a way for him to run that rep better than he did.

This I agree with. That rep in particular was him trying to make a play.

But it’s difficult to watch that and be “okay” with it given his penchant for doing it for no reason last year.

On THAT play, it was warranted. So for now, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

But he did it all offseason in his workout vids. And that concerns me.

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think we steal Game 1 against Philly.  But after that it wouldn't surprise me if they get the rematch and the better overall record.  We have a unique chance with no film of anything whatsoever.

1) 3-4 shift to 4-3.  Normally that's a problem for the d-line and needing new personnel, but our d-line is absolutely loaded.

2) D-line is ALSO switching from 2 gapping only to predominantly a 1 gapper. There's zero film in how our DT's function in a 1 gap scheme.

3) So take all of that, and then add in that their o-line is banged up and missing 1-2 starters.

4) Slimmed down Haskins who seems to move around the pocket and scramble to keep things alive better than last year.  If they rely on film from 2019 to pressure the QB, that could leave them unprepared.

5) Gibson/McKissic is a brand new element.  Combine that with Sims who already works well with motion/misdirection and that's a lot of randomness pre-snap for them to figure out on the fly.

6) From reports, Apke is clearly fast as hell on the field.  You know how many FS run in the low 4.3's?  I can't think of any.  Even Earl Thomas ran a 4.43.  By week 3-4 you can start exploiting holes in Apke's game.  But week 1?

7) DeSean Jackson is a threat, but their other dynamic speedster, Jalen Reagor is probably missing the game.

That's what I'm thinking of for how we steal a 'W' in Week 1.  Once teams start getting film on us, some of these benefits become less effective.  But that's a future WFT problem, not a Week 1 WFT problem.

Yeah, we're a new team pretty much. Turner has an elaborate offense with a lot of movement and variations out of the same alignments and I think we have the players to make it work. Our schedule starts off fairly easy and I could see us jumping out 3-0 this year based on that and the strength of our defense, which let's face it. Will be dominant. 

I think the success of our season boils down to if Haskins and the offense can get this Offense down and thrive in it, by the time teams start to catch on.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's basically 5 games of the Panthers last season that Turner got to run the team and call plays. We have a suspect offense and if there is one advantage we have it's that nobody knows what's coming. Makes perfect sense.

Listening to the takes of those who watched practices, its tough for to make out this offense.  They seem to have tow running themes.

A.  Turner's offense has a lot of movement and misdirection.  2 back sets.  Funky stuff.

B.  The offense mostly struggled to move the ball and don't expect a lot of point this year.

One narrative gets me jazzed, the other makes me pause.  The kicker for me was listening to Les Carpenter yesterday saying he doesn't think they will score much and suggested they will likely put up barely more than last year.

But a lot more optimism on the defense.  Can't wait to see. 

The offense looked decent to end the year last year. The defense fell apart because every member of the secondary was on IR. Almost literally. If our offense stays exactly as good as it was at the end of last year, and the front 7 is as good as expected, we are going to win 6 games. 

Listening to someone who was at practice yesterday on Sheehan's show.  His take:

A.  Haskins looked OK.  Not great.  No bad.  Average.

B.  The defense looked a lot better than the offense. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to someone who was at practice yesterday on Sheehan's show.  His take:

A.  Haskins looked OK.  Not great.  Not bad.  Average.

B.  The defense looked a lot better than the offense. 

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The offense looked decent to end the year last year. The defense fell apart because every member of the secondary was on IR. Almost literally. If our offense stays exactly as good as it was at the end of last year, and the front 7 is as good as expected, we are going to win 6 games. 

My expectations for the front seven are through the roof, probably too high, but if they meet them, then I think we'll have a top five defense.  If the offense does a good job of possessing the ball and grinding out long drives, then I don't think 8 wins as a floor is crazy.  You can ride the ball control and strong defense formula really far. The Titans got to the AFC championship last year.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My expectations for the front seven are through the roof, probably too high, but if they meet them, then I think we'll have a top five defense.  If the offense does a good job of possessing the ball and grinding out long drives, then I don't think 8 wins as a floor is crazy.  You can ride the ball control and strong defense formula really far. The Titans got to the AFC championship last year.

I agree. And the secondary looks better than expected. However, a ball control and defense formula works better with a solid OL and TE's. The OL component worries me. I am hopeful that Logan Thomas continues to look as good as he has in camp. If he does, we have a chance to be at least average or slightly below, at that position. 

The season is a wash regardless..be lucky to put in a full season.

Washington wins the superbowl or wins 3 games the season is a wash either way. We win the superbowl and it was an off year..it was anyone's game to win/we get lucky...we win 3 -6 games its because of the pandemic..just put the season behind us and focus on 2021.

Archived