Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you still wear your Redskins gear if the name changes

Howie411

On 7/16/2020 at 8:55 PM, bakedtater1 said:

Haven't seen ya round much..good post..please head over to the memorabilia thread and share what.ya have..if ya can..

I will post some things,  when I'm not feeling lazy. My Redskins room is small, so I have to rotate stuff from storage, from time to time.

Seeing as I'm an adult, I stopped wearing jerseys a long time ago.  I've got one t-shirt left, it's old.  Real old, it's from when Reebok was the official supplier of gear.  It's burgundy, in white block letters it says WASHINGTON REDSKINS with Washington on top, Redskins on bottom across the chest.  I don't remember where I got it.  

It's been through the washing machine a few thousand times.  It's soft.  It's a bit raggedy in places.  It's super comfortable.  I'll wear it around the house, maybe under a hoodie if I go out.  I don't generally care what others think but I don't want anyone to think I'm "that guy" who's digging his heels in and resisting change and has to smugly walk around in a tshirt to let everyone know how I feel.

18 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

When I'm openly called a racist for wearing skins gear in 3 years, I'm going to stop and try to talk to the person reasonably and respectfully and try to have them see the other side. The side steeped in data and honest discussion. 

Don't waste your time. The people who are offended by the team name aren't native Americans, they are white, left wing loons. You can present them with facts and logic until you're blue in the face and you will have changed zero minds...

18 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

When I'm openly called a racist for wearing skins gear in 3 years, I'm going to stop and try to talk to the person reasonably and respectfully and try to have them see the other side. The side steeped in data and honest discussion. 

Sounds like an exhausting way to live.

Just so you all know the New York Times used this board and this specific thread to write an article on Redskins gear.  Bromwich contacted me via email for an interview - I knew he would frame it exactly the way he did and so did not reply.  With Bari Weiss exposing how they operate (Really just confirming the worst assessments) just prior to this article only a fool would trust a reporter from the New York Times to be even handed or even accurate if it bucks the narrative that paper has decided to support.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/style/washington-redskins-name-change-merchandise.html

I think there's a good chance you will not be able to see the difference between a Redskins uniform and whatever our next uniform is besides the lettering on the front. 

This will prevent a lot of altercations at FedEx imo. People want to wear their Skins gear still, doing this basically makes it so you can't tell the difference. 

I stopped wearing Redskins gear a while ago. I have one tee shirt left. My last jersey was a Portis. Players simply don’t stick around this ****hole for very long and we don’t really have any marquee players either.

Didnt take a name change to get me to stop wearing Redskins gear. The team sucks and I got older.

Good for people who still want to buck the system. Champions of history. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think there's a good chance you will not be able to see the difference between a Redskins uniform and whatever our next uniform is besides the lettering on the front. 

This will prevent a lot of altercations at FedEx imo. People want to wear their Skins gear still, doing this basically makes it so you can't tell the difference. 

Yep I believe its already been discussed that the colors will stay the same.

3rd Gen Fan that is a 20 + year expat of the area. I also happen to live in what is primarily Cowboys country. I understand and agree with a name change despite the lack of malice from the Skins fan base. I am still on the fence about how I approach the future. A full rebrand or a (non-NA) tie to the past and I may be gone - from the NFL as a whole because the Skins are the NFL to me.

I will not stop wearing and Skins gear I currently own. It sounds like hypocrisy since I do agree with a change but my personal memories of family, many now gone, and the joy of being a Skins family trump any worries of being faced with cancel culture in public.

I honestly doubt in my area any criticism will be politically motivated anyway since most people including my friends in the area are Cowboys fans.

The problem at the moment is that I don't associate the current team with the new name. I think that once I see Kerrigan, Scherff, Allen, Haskins, Young, etc wearing the new name & logo for a few games and hear the coach, players and media refer to the team by the new name then it will start to feel more normal.

They will continue to be the Redskins for me for a long time and I will continue wearing Redskin's gear at least at home, but I'm sure that I'll go through a stage of being kind of bilingual until one day I'll find myself referring to team by the new name. Time heals (probably a little melodramatic) and eventually the new name will stop being the new name and will just be the name. It's then that I'll probably buy some new gear and wear them outside. I'm sure that this process will be even quicker if we have more success on the field than we have experienced recently.

I haven’t bought Skins gear in quite some time. However, the vast majority of the stuff I bought has only the logo, not the team name as I’ve long been unhappy with the name. Other than jerseys, I won’t be wearing any of the stuff that actually has the team name. For the few occasions I wear Skins gear I’ll still rock the logo-only items. However, due to my dislike of Snyder and general disgruntlement with the NFL as a whole, I won’t be buying any new NFL gear and as a result, I won’t be wearing any RedWolves or whatever gear either. Nowadays when I wanna rep DC, I wear Nats or Withards schwag.

Often... I guess over time Ill buy some new gear depending on what I think about the new name/logo.

As usual, Ive been wearing one of several Redskins Hats and have been approached a couple times by various people that aren't fans of the Redskins but are upset that the name will be changed.  One was a Native American.  

Archived