Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you still wear your Redskins gear if the name changes

Howie411

In terms of watching at home I will probably do what a lot of my friends do nowadays and watch Red Zone instead of the game. Knowing my luck though the NFL will announce the Washington ******s are playing at Wembley next season. Would love to see Chase Young in the flesh but paying all that money to watch the Squirrels or whatever, I just don't know. None of my jerseys play for the team anymore so that's not a problem though.

I stopped buying gear a loooong time ago because the team has been a stinker forever. The new regime has an opportunity to change that for me but hey, guys- It's still Snyder. It's still a sh*t rolls down hill world under him. I suspect the ONLY thing that's changing is the name. We've seen this "new coach, new team" act too many times for me to painfully grin and keep walking.

No old gear, no new gear, no game tickets, NO MONEY SPENT on this organization until they at least put together a couple winning seasons. 

Sell the team, Dan. 

52 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I stopped buying gear a loooong time ago because the team has been a stinker forever. The new regime has an opportunity to change that for me but hey, guys- It's still Snyder. It's still a sh*t rolls down hill world under him. I suspect the ONLY thing that's changing is the name. We've seen this "new coach, new team" act too many times for me to painfully grin and keep walking.

No old gear, no new gear, no game tickets, NO MONEY SPENT on this organization until they at least put together a couple winning seasons. 

Sell the team, Dan. 

Completely %100 respect this..and the bit about the snyder is dead on.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, LightningBuggs said:

Just replying to say this was well written and you're not alone.  I'm 55 and our fandom ran parallel it seems.

This is my jumping off point too.  And that saddens me.  But as you said, we had a lot of great memories (at least in the 70s and 80s).

im right there with the both of you , I'm done not only with the absurd rebrand but with the clown show that has become the NFL. This will be my last post here

Joe Jacoby (@JoeJacoby66HOG) | Twitter

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS !

Thank you for the memories  

1983-2019

19 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I moved on from jersey's years ago and only wear polo's now. But I will say this, in the months to come, obviously not now since the name hasn't been decided upon and there's no other options for us in terms of gear, you could become a target by sporting the old gear. Cancel culture is being justified and you will be putting yourself at risk.  Not sure if I want to sport any team gear anymore...

We've basically been underhandedly labeled a racist franchise with our past and the old logo by making this change. Any attempt to sport the old gear could be viewed as defiance and ignorance by the court of public opinion. I almost feel as if its just plain risky to be a fan of this team now, even WITH the team name change now that the past has this huge asterisk on it... Opposition is not gonna care about "The Hogs", Gibbs, George Allen, the Lombardi season, Doug Williams, our marching band. They are only gonna care about the old logo and racism..

I don't think I ever owned a jersey.  The extent of my merchandise was t-shirts and stuff like mugs and blankets and stuff like that. 

In the current climate of the name, I think wearing the old stuff to the games is basically a recipe for confrontation.  That doesn't seem like fun.  Who wants to go to a game having to defend their clothes, or worst case, themselves? 

I have a bunch of fitted Script R caps that I will keep wearing. I don't have any other gear. I never cared for how jerseys felt, so I never got into that. I plan on purchasing new fitted caps for the new name.

As a final nail in the coffin I think Washington, D.C. should be banned from having any professional sports teams period. The town no longer has any identity other than a home for rich politicians and related shenanigans and the relative few who can afford to support a team are mostly transients who wouldn't be able to name the starting lineup on a bet. The identity of DC as a blue collar town of public civil servants is long gone. So while doing away with Redskins, do away with Washington. They practice in VA and play in Maryland so call them the Bi State No Names. Warning acknowledged in advance.

47 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

As a final nail in the coffin I think Washington, D.C. should be banned from having any professional sports teams period. The town no longer has any identity other than a home for rich politicians and related shenanigans and the relative few who can afford to support a team are mostly transients who wouldn't be able to name the starting lineup on a bet. The identity of DC as a blue collar town of public civil servants is long gone. So while doing away with Redskins, do away with Washington. They practice in VA and play in Maryland so call them the Bi State No Names. Warning acknowledged in advance.

Capitals? Wizards? Nats? Mystics?

8 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

im right there with the both of you , I'm done not only with the absurd rebrand but with the clown show that has become the NFL. This will be my last post here

Joe Jacoby (@JoeJacoby66HOG) | Twitter

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS !

Thank you for the memories  

1983-2019

I'm almost there too but I gotta see what the Riverboat, JDR and Predator can do first.

But yeah the times they are a changing to were I don't recognize the sports I grew up with.  Too much entitlement nowadays.

The hardest thing for me to give up will be wearing my black 'Skins hat with the logo on it.  I think this is my 4th hat in the last 30 years that's basically exactly the same.  Black hat, logo. No words, no name, nothing.  Most of the time, I think in 3 of the hats, the logo is just white, once it was just raised black on black.  It's been my trademark with my friends, my black 'Skins hats.

But once they formally announce the new name, no, I will not wear it out.  I will wear it at home. More than anything, because at this point I just don't want to have a discussion about it anymore.  I also don't want to appear to be the same as those a-holes who won't let go of the confederate flag.  I completely get the two things are not even remotely the same, but if you behave in the same way, you're going to get lumped in with the same crowd.  

The ONE thing I MIGHT consider wearing out is my Joe Jacoby jersey under one circumstance: The team formerly known as the Redskins are playing a big and important playoff game at home and I attend.  It's a white "championship" color scheme jersey I've had for 25 years. There's no "Redskins" name prominent, nor the logo.  I MIGHT wear that out to an important game IF I attended.  I wore it to the only playoff game in FedEx the 'Skins ever won after the 1999 season.  (I didn't go to the games after the 2012 or 2015 seasons).  It has an unblemished playoff record as an in-stadium jersey.  So that would be the only situation.   

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Nope.  I have a white Sean Taylor jersey that I plan on framing.  Aside from that, no need to wear Redskins gear in public.  You’ll just look like some ole redneck waving his big ass rebel flag on the back of his pickup truck.

I'm going to frame my ST21 jersey as well.   And probably the Russ Grimm jersey.  The Jacoby, as I said above, I MIGHT leave that one out in the off chance the 'Skins play a home NFC Championship game.  In which case, I MIGHT wear it.  Would have to see how tone-deaf it would appear at that point.  

7 hours ago, -JB- said:

Nope.  I have a white Sean Taylor jersey that I plan on framing.  Aside from that, no need to wear Redskins gear in public.  You’ll just look like some ole redneck waving his big ass rebel flag on the back of his pickup truck.

Sooo I'm a redneck cause I wont take my Washington Redskins sticker off my truck?....ever.

18 hours ago, -JB- said:

With that reasoning, then hanging a framed Redskins jersey is commensurate with hanging a framed Confederate flag. 

On 7/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

With that reasoning, then hanging a framed Redskins jersey is commensurate with hanging a framed Confederate flag. 

Haven't seen ya round much..good post..please head over to the memorabilia thread and share what.ya have..if ya can..

Haven't worn any gear in some time. Team hasn't deserved it!  I may wear stuff if they come out winning.

Actually looking forward to the change but they will be looked at as the Redskins for quite a while before the name change is considered "normal" to most fans. I guess we'll be looked at as the scourge of the NFL as well. Only a change in ownership would prevent that at this point.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:05 AM, Chachie said:

Sell the team, Dan. 

Agree totally. The only thing that stops this team from being looked at as the scourge of the league is a change in ownership.

Archived