Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you still wear your Redskins gear if the name changes

Howie411

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Nope, not because some whack job with a cell phone might film me and then try to earn woke points on twitter by uploading "racist man wears new symbol of hate at Supermarket" and have me "cancelled" . I won't wear it because they are no longer the Redskins, simple as that. You really want to be that same guy who walks around with a Brooklyn Dodgers or Baltimore Colts jersey on ?

I was recently waiting in a supermarket line wearing a Redskins cap. I heard a woman behind me whisper to her friend "that's that racist American baseball team, isn't it?" I didn't really feel like getting into a debate with a stranger and actually felt a bit uncomfortable so I acted like I didn't hear her. I'm starting to think that I may only wear my gear indoors.

The point that some posters have made regarding vintage gear is interesting. Are they still going to sell them with the Redskins name on them?

28 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I was recently waiting in a supermarket line wearing a Redskins cap. I heard a woman behind me whisper to her friend "that's that racist American baseball team, isn't it?" I didn't really feel like getting into a debate with a stranger and actually felt a bit uncomfortable so I acted like I didn't hear her. I'm starting to think that I may only wear my gear indoors.

The point that some posters have made regarding vintage gear is interesting. Are they still going to sell them with the Redskins name on them?

Should have replied, "if you don't know what sport it is shut up. " :)    j/k but this is a problem, people who have no clue about the team are now automatically on the that is offensive side.

32 minutes ago, London Kev said:

About 7 years ago i had a similar experience while standing on line at the supermarket nonetheless. This was of course before "cancel culture" and twitter shame mobs were a thing. The conversation was very civil and we both made our talking points while be respectful to each other and left while wishing each other a great day and a wave, you know, the way normal adults handle difference of opinion. Its a shame we are losing our Redskins but even worse that some will probably use this as a opportunity to virtue signal and create trouble for others who just simply love their former sports team and have no malice in their hearts.

The main gear I wear every single day is my black Joe Gibbs Redskins coaches hat with the big gold 'R' on it. Like this:

169357.jpg

Most here where I live are ignorant of what it is, though. They think the "R" stands for where I'm from, which is Richmond.

As in the Richmond Flying Squirrels, a local baseball team.

Silly people. :)

9 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The main gear I wear every single day is my black Joe Gibbs Redskins coaches hat with the big gold 'R' on it. Like this:

*hat pic*

Most here are ignorant of what it is, though. They think the "R" stands for where I'm from, which is Richmond.

That's my favorite hat too. If the name change still begins with an "R" then we're good. These hats are basic enough and can't possibly be seen as "racist" lol.

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m not sure what age we are defining as older but I figure plenty of fans in upper 20s as well as all range of 30s will too given all they’ve known is losing and probably only followed because of a connection of some sort. 

This is new life for me as a fan. The redskins have been a joke in my entire lifetime. Time for a rebrand and a recharge to this franchise. 

17 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

169357.jpg

Most here where I live are ignorant of what it is, though. They think the "R" stands for where I'm from, which is Richmond.

The flying squirrels hats have tails... I have three.  Man people are dense here. And we host the training camps. 🙄

48 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Of course I will wear my old stuff.  I'm a black guy so it's okay.

Greatest post I've seen in a long time.

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I didn't wear it anyway because we sucked so bad it was shameful. I'll just donate what I have to goodwill.

Orrrrrr..793 j s...good lord you should know my address by now..I'll be your goodwill.

8 hours ago, nonniey said:

And that is the problem in a nutshell people just aren't interested in history or in the Redskins case the the history of that term. All I'm saying if people want to wear their Redskins gear they should be able to do so without fear. (Just Google "The Cultural Revolution.") And the post I responded to was example of someone fearing to wear their gear.   We're starting to wonder into Tailgate territory so I'll leave it at that.

I wonder which will be worse, wearing Redskins gear or a MAGA hat?

Personally I don't want to be confronted by being called a racist so I will be donating all to the thrift shop (if they will accept it) and turning in my fan card.

No more NFL for me.

To answer the question of the thread, I will continue to wear my Redskins gear proudly.  I am and always will be a proud Redskins fan.  I know now I just have to take much better care of it, because I will be unable to replenish my supply.

Okay, with that out of the way, I do feel the need to share that I will not be joining most of you in rooting for the new Washington football team.  I know I don't have many posts on this forum, but I have lived and died by this team since the early 70s. 

I grew up on the West Coast in a city without an NFL franchise.  As a young kid, it always stuck in my craw that Dallas called itself "America's Team".  I can remember commenting to my father that shouldn't America's Team be from the Nation's Capital?  My father, who had grown up an LA Rams fan and who idolized George Allen, told me about the Redskins.  How they not only represented DC, but were also the blood rivals of the team I hated most of all.  He bought me a Redskins pennant and I was hooked.  

It hasn't been easy following this team from afar.  They were rarely on TV where I lived, perhaps 2-3 times a season at best.  I was the only person I knew who loved the Skins.  I grew up a lone fan.

I have gone to great lengths to support this team.  When I was in college on a trip in In 1988, I travelled from Sydney to Canberra to watch the Skins beat the Broncos at the American Embassy (it was the only place showing the SB).  After college, I moved to DC.  In 1992, I partied on M Street with tens of thousands of other fans.  I charged the field and hugged every fan close to me after our last game at RFK (beating the Cowboys).  I have pieces of that RFK turf in a jar on a shelf to this day.  When my name came off the waitlist with the opening of The Big Jack in 1996, I happy bought four season tickets, which I held until today.  I kept them even after I moved from DC, passing them along to friends and always flying in for the Cowboys game.  In 2008, I flew from my current town to DC and then roadtripped to Canton with buddies, so I could be there to see #28 and #81 receive their well-deserved gold jackets.

Jim Vance said it best.  In a town built on division--Democrat and Republican, black and white, Maryland and Virginia, North and South--the Redskins were the one thing that bound us all together.  It was a common bond that stretched across all divides.

I have endured almost two decades of incompetent ownership because I love this team so much.  Any time we get something good going, The Danny finds a way to ruin it.  The game experience went from one of the greatest in pro sports to leaving me feeling like a chump.  Well, the capitulation and refusal to defend our proud name and heritage was the final straw for me.

I'm in my early 50s.  My fandom won't be missed.  I understand I am easily replaced.  I also understand that many fans will think leaving over a name change is silly.  I can live with holding a minority viewpoint.  Today is the day my Redskins died.  I don't think I can transfer my love to another team, so I'm probably saying goodbye to the NFL as well.   Thankfully, I have enough wonderful memories to last me the rest of my life.

I will always be a Washington Redskins fan.  However, my team is dead.  RIP, 1937-2020.  Thank you to the Burgundy & Gold for all the joy you have given me.  Your passing leaves a massive void in my life.  I wish all of you well.

I bought a Chase Young jersey on July 3rd from NFL.com. SAid it would arrive on July 10th. I checked on the tracking status on July 10th and it now said the jersey would be arriving September 11th. Something told me it was no longer going to be a Redskins jersey, so I cancelled it.

Had I received it, though, I would definitely wear it. I haven't owned a Skins jersey since the Michael Westbrook jersey my (then) wife bought me for Xmas lol...No idea what happened to it.

I've been rooting for the team and the brand/logo for over 50+ years. The re-naming stings and I feel a little abandoned and I'll probably toss most of my old stuff out so that I am not reminded as often as I otherwise would.  A lot of my stuff is threadbare anyway.

I left DC over 25 years ago so and made a new home in NC. I rooted for my old home team but I won't be rooting for the new Washington team (unless they're "Warriors"... I graduated Marquette when they were the Warriors but then they went all politically correct  a few years ago and became the "Golden Eagles" because "Warriors" was offensive).

30 minutes ago, maxiep said:

To answer the question of the thread, I will continue to wear my Redskins gear proudly.  I am and always will be a proud Redskins fan.  I know now I just have to take much better care of it, because I will be unable to replenish my supply.

Okay, with that out of the way, I do feel the need to share that I will not be joining most of you in rooting for the new Washington football team.  I know I don't have many posts on this forum, but I have lived and died by this team since the early 70s. 

I grew up on the West Coast in a city without an NFL franchise.  As a young kid, it always stuck in my craw that Dallas called itself "America's Team".  I can remember commenting to my father that shouldn't America's Team be from the Nation's Capital?  My father, who had grown up an LA Rams fan and who idolized George Allen, told me about the Redskins.  How they not only represented DC, but were also the blood rivals of the team I hated most of all.  He bought me a Redskins pennant and I was hooked.  

It hasn't been easy following this team from afar.  They were rarely on TV where I lived, perhaps 2-3 times a season at best.  I was the only person I knew who loved the Skins.  I grew up a lone fan.

I have gone to great lengths to support this team.  When I was in college on a trip in In 1988, I travelled from Sydney to Canberra to watch the Skins beat the Broncos at the American Embassy (it was the only place showing the SB).  After college, I moved to DC.  In 1992, I partied on M Street with tens of thousands of other fans.  I charged the field and hugged every fan close to me after our last game at RFK (beating the Cowboys).  I have pieces of that RFK turf in a jar on a shelf to this day.  When my name came off the waitlist with the opening of The Big Jack in 1996, I happy bought four season tickets, which I held until today.  I kept them even after I moved from DC, passing them along to friends and always flying in for the Cowboys game.  

Jim Vance said it best.  In a town built on division--Democrat and Republican, black and white, Maryland and Virginia--the Redskins were the one thing that bound us all together.  It was a common bond that stretched across all divides.

I have endured almost two decades of incompetent ownership because I love this team so much.  Any time we get something good going, The Danny finds a way to ruin it.  The game experience went from one of the greatest in pro sports to leaving me feeling like a chump.  Well, the capitulation and refusal to defend our proud name and heritage was the final straw for me.

I'm in my early 50s.  My fandom won't be missed.  I understand I am easily replaced.  I also understand that many fans will think leaving over a name change is silly.  I can live with holding a minority viewpoint.  Today is the day my Redskins died.  I don't think I can transfer my love to another team, so I'm probably saying goodbye to the NFL as well.   Thankfully, I have enough wonderful memories to last me the rest of my life.

I will always be a Washington Redskins fan.  However, my team is dead.  RIP, 1937-2020.  Thank you to the Burgundy & Gold for all the joy you have given me.  Your passing leaves a massive void in my life.  I wish all of you well.

Just replying to say this was well written and you're not alone.  I'm 55 and our fandom ran parallel it seems.

This is my jumping off point too.  And that saddens me.  But as you said, we had a lot of great memories (at least in the 70s and 80s).

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I bought a Chase Young jersey on July 3rd from NFL.com. SAid it would arrive on July 10th. I checked on the tracking status on July 10th and it now said the jersey would be arriving September 11th. Something told me it was no longer going to be a Redskins jersey, so I cancelled it.

Had I received it, though, I would definitely wear it. I haven't owned a Skins jersey since the Michael Westbrook jersey my (then) wife bought me for Xmas lol...No idea what happened to it.

My wife, unbeknownst to me, ordered me a Chase Young Jersey as a birthday present a week after the draft.  When she found out we were changing our name she asked me if I still wanted it. I told her absolutely!  She also verified it will have his number 99 on it as the listing just had the number 1 for our first pick.  My first jersey since Sean's.  I can only assume it will have "Redskins" on it.  I will absolutely wear it and feel lucky to have gotten this gift. It has shipped & is set to arrive by the EOD on Thursday.  

17 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Just replying to say this was well written and you're not alone.  I'm 55 and our fandom ran parallel it seems.

This is my jumping off point too.  And that saddens me.  But as you said, we had a lot of great memories (at least in the 70s and 80s).

I'll be 60 in a couple months. As i stated earlier I am turning in my fan card also.

On the bright side, the heart attack rate will probably decrease considerably when the team loses if all us old timers are jumping of the bandwagon. 🥴

image.png.a97a9a3cf0b4e3cc98047c11da838c0d.png

I don't wear my jerseys much anymore for various reasons but mostly I'm just getting older and I'm not as diehard anymore due to Snyder's ineptitude.

I have a part of my basement set up as Reskins with the classic posters from our three SB wins.  Other team pics and art.  Big redskins throw rug.  All that stays but I won't add anymore to it.

All the car magnets and flags we used for tailgating have been sitting for a few years now anyways so we'll probably just throw them out.  We gave up our season tickets a few years ago when you couldn't give the tickets away because we sucked so bad.  Our tickets were lower bowl, home side, on the 20 yard line.

The worst for me is the new cornhole game and scoreboard I just bought.  Spent close to $400 for them.  Hopefully, a neighbor won't say anything about them when we're playing.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Good lord I just googled some of your buzzwords to facilitate conversation...you're a National Review guy?? Yeah no need to discuss further.

Actually WSJ's Peggy Noonan was the originator in the media (I've referenced it longer that her though - in this forum in fact - so really more of a wiki guy), but what is your problem with National Review? It's in the reputable area of the media bias charts (and it is Never Trump Central).

Archived