Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you still wear your Redskins gear if the name changes

Howie411

I have a couple hoodies and a few Tshirts. I haven’t bought a jersey in years, partly due to getting older and partly due the franchise grinding me down with incompetence.

This past week I ordered a Haskins for my last Redskin jersey. I decided to make my last one a Hail Mary in faith that he will be what we need him to be.  

1 hour ago, BraveWarrior said:

I'm to the point now where I turn the games on right at kickoff, and shut them off the second the final gun sounds. I used to like watching pre and post game shows, but watching people like Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, and Michael Strahan yukking it up while cracking jokes at each other makes me ill. I'm there for the game itself, and only the game. I have no more interest in the business or entertainment aspects of the league.

Agree so much with this. 

You name it, I have it. Sweatshirts, hats, t-shirts, etc. Unfortunately, it was only recently where I started having second thoughts about wearing it in public. It was the strangest thing, like I was anticipating someone calling me out on it. Going forward, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. 

22 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

You name it, I have it. Sweatshirts, hats, t-shirts, etc. Unfortunately, it was only recently where I started having second thoughts about wearing it in public. It was the strangest thing, like I was anticipating someone calling me out on it. Going forward, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. 

You shouldn't let the Cultural Revolutionary's guards intimidate you. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Empathy is a positive quality. Expand your circle. 

Don't be a guard. History didn't paint the previous Cultural Revolution's guards in a good light (and I don't think it will with the American version either). Let people wear their Redskins gear if they want - without harassment and intimidation.  

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Don't be a guard. History didn't paint the previous Cultural Revolution's guards in a good light. Let people wear their Redskins gear if they want - without harassment and intimidation.  

No idea what you're referring to with "the previous Cultural Revolution's guards". If you wanna stop speaking in riddles, we can talk about it. 

35 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No idea what you're referring to with "the previous Cultural Revolution's guards". If you wanna stop speaking in riddles, we can talk about it. 

And that is the problem in a nutshell people just aren't interested in history or in the Redskins case the the history of that term. All I'm saying if people want to wear their Redskins gear they should be able to do so without fear. (Just Google "The Cultural Revolution.") And the post I responded to was example of someone fearing to wear their gear.   We're starting to wonder into Tailgate territory so I'll leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Dont want to speak for nonniey, but I think he is referring to the current "woke" atmosphere in the wake of the George Floyd incident and subsequent civil unrest.

2 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

I was on the same wavelength a couple years ago and have since retired all Redskins gear. The present situation just reaffirms that decision. 

To me, wearing the gear in public is akin to telling the world I support the team and EVERYTHING it represents. Remove the context of being in the stadium rooting for the team and the gear symbolizes much more than "I hope the team wins on sundays"

Someone might ask me for my thoughts on the nickname or the owner or the years of buffoonery and I could provide some nuanced explanation of why I continue to root for the team on Sundays but deride the name, the owner, the stadium, the suck, etc. Am I interested in defending my views on the franchise with the general public? No, not really. Do I think most random folks I pass in public that see me in Skins gear want to engage in a nuanced dialogue about this symbol? No, not really. 

And these were questions floating around my head years ago. 0% chance I'm now going to adorn myself with a symbol that would probably make a passerby think "oh this person must be a get over it wuss/it's just a football team kinda person" and never see past that.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

And that is the problem in a nutshell people just aren't interested in history or in the Redskins case the the history of that term. All I'm saying if people want to wear their Redskins gear they should be able to do so without fear. (Just Google "The Cultural Revolution.") And the post I responded to was example of someone fearing to wear their gear.   We're starting to wonder into Tailgate territory so I'll leave it at that.

I have no fear of being harassed by someone seeing me in skins gear - like I said, I think most wouldn't even ask me for my thoughts on the team name. And to be clear, I dont think the mere question of "do you support the team name?" Is harassment by any stretch. But IF SOMEONE DID ask me, I'd say no and I dont want to dance with the inevitable followup to that of "well why are you wearing a symbol of something you dont support?" Symbols and context and nuance are things I dont have energy to deal with on a thursday evening at the grocery store.

@nonniey the "history" of the term Redskin is not all football, hogs and superbowls...sometimes the term was plainly used as a pejorative. Lately, more people share the view that it's weird at best/outright offensive at worst to continue using a term defined as derogatory, a name selected by an owner that thought black players were bad for business, a term that represents an entire group of people that didnt universally sign off on being a mascot and/or find the term highly offensive. 

As another poster said - hail to the future.

Nope, not because some whack job with a cell phone might film me and then try to earn woke points on twitter by uploading "racist man wears new symbol of hate at Supermarket" and have me "cancelled" . I won't wear it because they are no longer the Redskins, simple as that. You really want to be that same guy who walks around with a Brooklyn Dodgers or Baltimore Colts jersey on ?

12 hours ago, spjunkies said:

A bunch of our older fans will be moving on, hopefully the team does well enough to gain a younger base.

I’m not sure what age we are defining as older but I figure plenty of fans in upper 20s as well as all range of 30s will too given all they’ve known is losing and probably only followed because of a connection of some sort. 

I will absolutely still wear it.  Just because people got the name retired doesn’t take away the fact that it’s our team. It’s been a love, hate, sad, etc relationship for many years.  I’ve always wore my Redskin gear and will continue too.  Only grief I get wearing it is that we suck. 

32 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m not sure what age we are defining as older but I figure plenty of fans in upper 20s as well as all range of 30s will too given all they’ve known is losing and probably only followed because of a connection of some sort. 

Meh, it's only a matter of time, I guess we'll see. A bunch were probably looking for a reason to jump ship anyway. My guess is they can easily hold a good portion of those under 35 will stick around and be expanded on BUT they will not be able to display the same level of incompetence we've seen over the past 30 years. 

To be honest, I hadn't been wearing Redskins gear much in recent years solely because of my disdain for Danny.

But now I'll probably start wearing my shirts again for spite.  Been a fan for almost 50 years and the Redskins were always a big part of my life growing up.  Some things have changed as I've aged and life has brought different priorities to me but I'd be lying if I didn't say a small part of me dies today with the team name.

Going forward, I'll likely be taking a break from the NFL for a while.  And in a couple years I'll be retiring and leaving the DC area so if I do decide to get back into the NFL, I'll likely be in the market for a new team.  And that saddens me.

I wear it, but not too often (I'm more of a seasonal guy), but this whole nonsense has me wanting to wear it all the time.  Heck, I put one of those "permanent" logo badges on my car just yesterday.  Hopefully it triggers someone.

Sadly, stuff is disappearing from websites.  Sure, we know about Nike, Target, Walmart and Amazon, but selections are quickly dropping on fanatics and '47, for example.  Bums me out, too, I should have jumped on this certain had on '4, but I procrastinated, and now it's gone.

I don't have any tattoos, but now I want one.  The Redskins logo, of course.

6 hours ago, nonniey said:

Good lord I just googled some of your buzzwords to facilitate conversation...you're a National Review guy?? Yeah no need to discuss further.

Archived