Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

19 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'll keep beating this dead horse until Alex shuts me up but think of how much better shape the team would be cap wise, money to spend on skills players or a LG, and Kendally Fuller as a slot corner if the team would have just went with Colt for this year.  If not for the big salary I truly believe that Jay would make the switch to Colt.  If Alex can't run any more then what are we doing here?  Fire BA and start Colt.  Trade Alex to whomever and eat the salary. 

Or took a flier on teddy Bridgewater. The FO had a very naive delusional high expectation about the team as if they were in win now mode. Probably looked at how fast the Eagles won after disaster and tried to emulate the mindset.

What irks me the most about Smith is some of the stupid mistakes he's made. Like okay I get that he's not the most prolific passer but a 34 year old shouldn't make the type of mistakes he's made. Case in point last week taking a grounding when we were on the fringe of FG range to end the 1st half. Then tonight getting tackled out of bounds on that last 3rd down run, basically handing the Cowboys an extra time out. If you aren't going to light it up through the air you sure as hell better "manage" the game better.

Why did he feel so much faster fleeing the pocket and around the edge against us last season?

He looked slow and even if he was faster, he had no chance to get there on his feet.  To double down on that and have the nerve to go out of bounds to top it off is ridiculous for a 14 year vet.  I wonder if he ever did that type of stuff before he got here or if Ashburn just rubs off on folks and the side effects are brain farts.

Ya know, I lashed out at Smith, but I have to admit he didn't stink it up today. Yea it was mostly checkdowns but he made a few big passes for some big yardage.

What gets me is he's been in this league more than long enough to know not to run out of bounds, and I weigh that against the fact that he had a bunch of WRs out and had to make do, so, well, its frustrating.

We look at this and realize this is probably his ceiling, he's not going to magically improve into a top-tier QB. Question becomes, can this team win with him? I'm not talking about games, but playoffs and on; he and Gruden both can't rely on the defense to bail them out; we all saw what happens when this team goes against a high-powered offense like the Saints, and if that's how it turns out, to get blown out of the game early in a playoff game, I just assume not go period.

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Ya know, I lashed out at Smith, but I have to admit he didn't stink it up today. Yea it was mostly checkdowns but he made a few big passes for some big yardage.

What gets me is he's been in this league more than long enough to know not to run out of bounds, and I weigh that against the fact that he had a bunch of WRs out and had to make do, so, well, its frustrating.

We look at this and realize this is probably his ceiling, he's not going to magically improve into a top-tier QB. Question becomes, can this team win with him? I'm not talking about games, but playoffs and on; he and Gruden both can't rely on the defense to bail them out; we all saw what happens when this team goes against a high-powered offense like the Saints, and if that's how it turns out, to get blown out of the game early in a playoff game, I just assume not go period.

What if, though...What if he firms up on the scheme and starts to get chemistry and continuity with his wideouts?

What if he goes from 170 yds/1 TD to 240 yds/2TDs?  

Seems doable.  How many wins do we get with those numbers?

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I can see how he wins so many games though.  Even when you don't make many plays, not turning it over goes a long way.  

That only works if you have a D that stops the opposing team, and a running game to lean on.

Consider this, what do you think our record is if Smith is the QB here last year?

3-13?

2-14?

4-12?

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why did he feel so much faster fleeing the pocket and around the edge against us last season?

He looked slow and even if he was faster, he had no chance to get there on his feet.  To double down on that and have the nerve to go out of bounds to top it off is ridiculous for a 14 year vet.  I wonder if he ever did that type of stuff before he got here or if Ashburn just rubs off on folks and the side effects are brain farts.

Yeah, he doesnt seem as nimble and fleet a foot as I remember.  For a guy that cant make a play downfield, you would think he'd manufacture more offense with his legs.  Where are our big gainers up the middle like Dak was getting?

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, he doesnt seem as nimble and fleet a foot as I remember.  For a guy that cant make a play downfield, you would think he'd manufacture more offense with his legs.  Where are our big gainers up the middle like Dak was getting?

Yeah, he does look a lot less nimble. And that was the one thing he had on Kirk.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

That only works if you have a D that stops the opposing team, and a running game to lean on.

Consider this, what do you think our record is if Smith is the QB here last year?

3-13?

2-14?

4-12?

I'll be generous and go with the 3-13.  Yes, that's being generous.  I think back to all of the people who were upset at Cousins for his inability to win games at the end (a myth, but I digress), and red zone woes, but Smith is worse in both categories.  He has been sold as this mobile dude that would extend plays.  Cousins used his legs just as effectively, if not more effectively (he had TD runs each season) than Alex has here so far.  Alex also has a better team surrounding him than Cousins had, so, yes, with Alex at the helm last year, we would have had a top three pick.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It makes me despise him, I really dont want to, when he plays that poorly and seems to be all shucks about I want to shuck him the face.  Bruce will survive because well go to the playoffs anyone, but he fd up on the Cousins thing and his immediate replacement.  He should be fired for making both of those calls and caping what otherwise is looking like a really good team.

I have zero faith in Alex anymore, someone please pull from the ledge on this issue, please.

It's no wonder he and Gruden seem to get along so well. They're both that way. Always an "aw shucks" sort of attitude when they lose or a do something wrong.

Sometimes you have to sit in the pocket and take a hit so you can let your WR's get open, previous QB's we've had would do that.

Alex will not do that, I don't remember which drive it was but we were in the redzone and on 3rd down and goal there were 2 WR's open but he bailed too early, yes he would have got clocked but that's what you do, the ref's don't even let defenders unleash on QB's anymore so you have to have some guts.

19 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

3-13?

2-14?

4-12?

0-0 with 16 ties, he is a game manager

4 hours ago, Chachie said:

Docston? Are you kidding me? Crowder and Richardson are WR3s on a ton of other teams. The rest of 'em are not league worthy. 

Mo Harris has a ton of potential.  Not saying he's a starter, but if we cut him he would find employment within a week.

4 hours ago, zskins said:

If Colt was that good then why did they pay all that money to get Alex?

Can you imagine the fan revolt if Bruce had announced back in March that we were rolling with Colt for 16 games?

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

3-13?

2-14?

4-12?

Smith is awful.  His best skill is he doesn't turn the football over?!!  Missing wide open receivers that lead to punts or sure TDs being missed is almost as bad as a turnover.  Honestly, I hate seeing him drop back to pass, because he looks so bad.

If the defense played this way for Cousins, he may have signed for a little less money.  Smith can't carry Cousins' jock strap!!!

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

No turnovers by Smith.

He didn't win the game.

But he didn't lose it either.

We've had plenty of QB's who lose games.

Maybe true, but you are looking at one game, I think. Some of us looking at beyond as well. Like the playoffs. Do you really think Alex can take this team to the conference championship or even to the SB. That is the question that really needs to be asked. 

I’ve been tough on Smith.  Deservedly so, IMO.  He was not good today... again.  Now with that said, I saw a couple things I liked.  Things that I hadn’t really seen him do yet this year.  The throw to Doctson with the defender stride for stride, the touch pass over the defender to Doctson at the sideline, letting it rip to Reed on the crosser... nothing special on those plays, but they were a positive step I think.  

Pulling off a win facing a really tough D, a divisional rival, without Thompson (his security blanket) and Crowder/Richardson, and on a day his counterpart turned the ball over twice... I’m giving him a pass this week on the negative stuff.  

Here’s hoping he improves.  We can’t bank on the D getting turnovers.  

Archived