Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I still can never tell if you are trolling or really invest in some of the odd stuff you post.  It will always be a mystery I guess.

Well, I don’t spend a lot of time paying homage to national pundits or some vague, vast army of “Alex haters”.  And I haven’t floated the possibility of a voodoo curse being put on the Vikings defense at halftime of last year’s playoff game.

So, I got that going for me!

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's good research.  You could also post the defensive rankings for those same games, too. :) 

Turnover prone QBs will take a big chunk out of your defensive ranking.

I really have nothing new to add.  But my thoughts echo most here.

Alex has not done anything to be excited about, except, for not turning the ball over.  If he turns the ball over, we probably don't win 3 of the 4 games we have won.

23rd in YPA

25th in YPG

18th in QR Bating

I'm sorry, those are Eli-esque numbers.

Without AP and our defense, we'd be screaming for Colt and a coach firing.

Having said all that, I will take 4-2 and hopes this team gets better, and our "skilled" position players get healthy.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Well, I don’t spend a lot of time paying homage to national pundits or some vague, vast army of “Alex haters”.  And I haven’t floated the possibility of a voodoo curse being put on the Vikings defense at halftime of last year’s playoff game.

So, I got that going for me!

Still can’t tell If you’re serious.  Between this and your sports wagering, phew.

BTW, it’s not just the national pundits, it’s everyone not named Deion Sanders.  

9 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

The issue goes well beyond yesterday's result; it's about the future.  There is no way Smith's performance yesterday would get a win in the playoffs.  The disgust is based on the opportunities to complete passes that a mediocre QB should have been able to do. 

As of this moment, Smith is not a playoff-caliber QB.  He is hurting the offense and, by definition, hurting the team.  He must play better if the team wants to make the playoffs and then do damage if it makes it there.

Yesterday's game should not have been close.  Alex Smith is mostly to blame for why it was. 

Ok why are we assuming that we're seeing the absolute best that Alex Smith has to offer?  As he continues to play in this offense, why are we supposed to believe that he can't continue to grow within it?  I know he's 34, but the system is new to him.. and like I pointed out, the playmakers have been shuffling around so the idea of how Smith is supposed to have some connection with Doctson when it's not only been reported that he doesn't get a lot of separation, but he also had NO time in the preseason, and he's already missed multiple games?  Players are missing practice and not getting reps, then we expect some sort of miraculous ability to produce at game speed?   If anything we need to be looking at why these guys didnt play more in preseason because we handled them with kid gloves.  How can he have the right timing with the team when the first time he see's that guy is during the game?  

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're right.  Cousins was terrible at tackling all those running backs our defense couldn't stop last year.

Ok but turnovers turn into additional series on the field... short time between series, and poor defensive field position which all wears on a team.  I can remember a number of times that I said to myself that in the 4th quarter our Defense looked GASSED last year.  We had just asked too much of them.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Ok why are we assuming that we're seeing the absolute best that Alex Smith has to offer?  As he continues to play in this offense, why are we supposed to believe that he can't continue to grow within it?  I know he's 34, but the system is new to him.. and like I pointed out, the playmakers have been shuffling around so the idea of how Smith is supposed to have some connection with Doctson when it's not only been reported that he doesn't get a lot of separation, but he also had NO time in the preseason, and he's already missed multiple games?  Players are missing practice and not getting reps, then we expect some sort of miraculous ability to produce at game speed?   If anything we need to be looking at why these guys didnt play more in preseason because we handled them with kid gloves.  How can he have the right timing with the team when the first time he see's that guy is during the game?  

I like this post.  And I agree with the sentiment.

But a small part of me rolls my eyes at the "needs to get used to the system and his playmakers" defense.  Gruden hyped him as the smartest QB he's been around during preseason.  Other QBs go elsewhere and don't have these excuses made for them.  

IMO, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're right.  Cousins was terrible at tackling all those running backs our defense couldn't stop last year.

Ok but turnovers turn into additional series on the field... short time between series, and poor defensive field position which all wears on a team.  I can remember a number of times that I said to myself that in the 4th quarter our Defense looked GASSED last year.  We had just asked too much of them.  

Spiff knows that, but the immutable power of my statistical research sent him into a tizzy.

We’re all a little emotional after yesterday’s big win.

Board in full melt down mode.  

Damn near all of the skins 1st string skill positions are out.  And yet:

- Skins just beat their rival cowboys for the 1st time in 4 years.

- Skins sit alone atop their division.   

#1 determining factor in wins and losses? Turn over differential.  Skins are currently tied for the 4th best TO differential.  Sure anyone can do it... it's super easy.  You'd think more QBs would try it given how well Smith is getting paid.  

4 and 2 and the offense clearly isn't clicking yet.  I see a ton more reason to be optimistic than pessimistic.  

Go skins! 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My hope is that he does get better.  You may be right, but he appears to be short on QB talent.  If Smith does perform better, this team may have a shot at doing something special this year.

I don't disagree.  But the defense on the whole wasn't very good no matter what the situation.  I agree that Kirk turning it over didn't help situations.

Let's also remember that we couldn't run it last year.  Everyone knew that Kirk was going to throw it.  So he was playing against defense that knew what was coming.

So....no DeSean, No Garcon, no running game, a bad defense.  

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I think everyone expects him to get better over time, whether that’s him getting more familiar with the system or Jay tweaking his system to be more familiar with Alex.  It’s how much better is the question.  Alex himself said it took him five years to feel great about Reid’s system.  We don’t have five years, it has to happen much faster.  While I can understand the thought process  behind playing more snaps in preseason, it’s only going to make but so much difference.  We are going into week 8 now, that’s more than enough time to see improvement.  Something has to be done to move the offense more towards what Alex has excelled in previously to see said improvement in my opinion.  That and pray every night that AP stays healthy.

:) 

Smiley was done in complete jest. Alex has played below average for much of season outside of Cardinals and Packer games. He’s been closer to QB 20-25 than 8-15 this year. No debate.

Curious how Giant game goes. They stack pretty well talent wise, but have an erratic QB who provides unpredictability from week to week. These are type of games I’m ready to see Skins start to win with consistency, as that’s not been case for a loooong time. I’ll take beating the underperforming bad teams, then evaluate and potentially elevate expectations for year.  

I actually enjoyed some things Romo had to say yesterday including his explaining how Alex still doesn't look comfortable in the offense and how it's gonna take him time to get total command of it. It explained a lot about how he holds the ball a little and isn't pulling the trigger on some throws that are there. I think the offense is playing at about 40% of what they are capable of given the new players and injuries. Reed and Doc stepped up big yesterday and I think Alex will feed them more as he gets comfortable.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think everyone expects him to get better over time, whether that’s him getting more familiar with the system or Jay tweaking his system to be more familiar with Alex.  It’s how much better is the question.  Alex himself said it took him five years to feel great about Reid’s system.  We don’t have five years, it has to happen much faster.  While I can understand the thought process  behind playing more snaps in preseason, it’s only going to make but so much difference.  We are going into week 8 now, that’s more than enough time to see improvement.  Something has to be done to move the offense more towards what Alex has excelled in previously to see said improvement in my opinion.  That and pray every night that AP stays healthy.

Ok so reading your post, you're not benching Alex... you're looking at Gruden to change some things to HELP Alex be more and more effective?  

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Thompson

Peterson

Bibbs

Floyd

Reed

Davis

Sprinkle

Harris

Quinn

Simms

Very difficult to maintain any level of continuity having that much shuffle over 6 weeks... the missed ball to Sprinkle... had it been Reed / Davis, it's caught.  The timing is off because he's still developing with all these guys.  He's not perfect, no.  But he's not terrible either.  Give the guy a chance develop with his team.  

Which is one of the reasons preseason is so important IMO.  Smith's timing is terrible.  Absolutely terrible.  But I think you are deceiving yourself.  When he has a good game I will be the first to say it.  Just like I did when Cousin's massively improved.  But I am not seeing it.  And he has now had 6 games.

Right so you have a ton of guys out with injuries this past week.  But most QB's would consider it a luxury to have guys to go to. That is what practice is for.  So this is not a valid argument. 

But you are right about one thing here.  WHY didn't he throw to Reed in the RZ?   He is really stuck in some tendencies he can't seem to overcome.  Gruden needs to come up with something to help Alex and Alex has to help himself. 

And you know what.  Stay after practice.  You develop the timing.  Simulate game speed.  You work at it. Pros do that.  Every year QB's all over the league are working with new receivers.  

Archived