Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

I know that this seems far fetched... But I am seeing rumors that the Raiders are considering moving on from Derek Carr.  Anyone think there is a possibility that the Gruden brothers would consider swapping QBs?  Would such a trade even be possible under the salary cap, or could their deals be restructured to make it work?

John Gruden had success previously with aging veteran QBs.  I wonder if he would have any interest in giving Alex Smth a shot.

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Problem is you can't just put him out there for a few series without messing up whatever it is we have going on right now. Though I have to admit I am curious too

Unless Alex gets some minor injury ?  Like you say, just to see what it would look like.  Colt has had several years in the offense.  He knows where to go with the ball and he's hungry.  Again, not a long term solution.  More like a 2018 solution. 

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s hard to say right now to put Colt in as the team is 4-2 and Alex is sneaky bad in that his negatives are being outweighed by AP and the defenses positives.

However, if this offense lays another egg in NY and loses another while the defense gives up less than 20, and then then can’t find a way to score on the damn Falcons...all this is actually a very legit conversation.  

Its hard to even envision the above happening after a win like yesterday.  But you never know.  I’d venture a guess that might be enough to get a look at Colt.  If Jay is allowed.

If that occurs and you don't at least try then you risk losing the team.  Players understand that the QB gets a longer leash but there comes a time when enough is enough.  (To quote DJax "You can't do epic S*** with basic people). I'd let Alex go thru to the Tampa game.  If he shows no progression with the return of Thompson (although Bibbs isn't a huge drop off), Crowder, and Richards then you gotta make the move or squander a good opportunity. Think of how unfair that would be to a guy like AP who is giving us every ounce of gas he has left in the tank.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

They've rotated rookie or raw centers on him, the lines been cheese for weeks. He just led us to a win against one of the better defenses, without our only two decent WRs, his primary dump off recieving back, while our TEs went against possibly the best ILBs in the league. 

Ok, but missing wide open receivers?!?! How can you continue to tolerate that?  There were plays to be made and TD's left on the field.  If the cowpies make that field goal they have momentum because our offense showed no signs of life.  They probably win in OT.  Should not have been that close with the work that the defense and AP put in.  Heck, even the special teams was solid!  Coverage was excellent and no dumb gaffs for the return team.   

30 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I know that this seems far fetched... But I am seeing rumors that the Raiders are considering moving on from Derek Carr.  Anyone think there is a possibility that the Gruden brothers would consider swapping QBs?  Would such a trade even be possible under the salary cap, or could their deals be restructured to make it work?

John Gruden had success previously with aging veteran QBs.  I wonder if he would have any interest in giving Alex Smth a shot.

If only...

34 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I've been very uncomfortable with Alex Smith so far, but swapping for Derek Carr? No thanks. I'll stick with Smith. 

Despite the bad play, Smith is 1-0 against the Cowboys for us. Kirk - much as I wish he was still here - never got that done at home. Something to be said for that at least. 

Still ... I'm really getting a "McNabb in 2010" vibe. Hopefully that will be proven wrong over the next few weeks. 

16 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The coaches get to see Colt in practice - and have so for the last few years.  I think they know what he brings and if they thought he was better than Smith, he would be starting. Jay has already shown that he is willing to bench the starter in favor of the backup.

Economically, you know that's not the case.  I doubt very seriously that Jay had much notice about Alex Smith.  That really smells like a Bruce Allen move.  Who dumped McFlabb into Shanny's lap.  You've already heard Jay being critical of Alex.  Jay needs to win.  In order to do so he needs a passing game to complement a good defense and a decent running game (which is overachieving thanks to a hall of famer).  If Jay benches Alex then Bruce looks like the biggest idiot in the NFL.  Which we know to be the case however he is still Jay's boss for now.  And could be in the future if both go to the Raiders. 

It's gonna take an injury to allow Jay to move on.  Turf Toe, hand issue, or even a hang nail. 

Jay usually wears his emotions on his shoulders at the pressers and usually, you can tell when he's not confident in what he's saying or just giving coach speak.

He seemed to be confident today when he said Alex will get better, there was no hesitation when he said it so I think he truly believes it.

Let's hope so.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Jay usually wears his emotions on his shoulders at the pressers and usually, you can tell when he's not confident in what he's saying or just giving coach speak.

He seemed to be confident today when he said Alex will get better, there was no hesitation when he said it so I think he truly believes it.

Let's hope so.

After the Tampa game we'll see if he was being honest or just trying to build up his QB's confidence.  Confidence that looks very shaky right now.  Alex has Heath Schuler eyes. 

3 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

should we kick the tires on Derek Carr in the Raiders fire sale?

maybe give them alex smith and a 2nd round draft pick

Not that I think the Skins FO is even considering it, but I don't think Carr is worth all of that. 

Plus that would essentially mean we effectively gave up this years 3rd rounder and next years 2nd rounder for Derek Carr. 

Ewwww.

15 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Economically, you know that's not the case.  I doubt very seriously that Jay had much notice about Alex Smith.  That really smells like a Bruce Allen move.  Who dumped McFlabb into Shanny's lap.  You've already heard Jay being critical of Alex.  Jay needs to win.  In order to do so he needs a passing game to complement a good defense and a decent running game (which is overachieving thanks to a hall of famer).  If Jay benches Alex then Bruce looks like the biggest idiot in the NFL.  Which we know to be the case however he is still Jay's boss for now.  And could be in the future if both go to the Raiders. 

It's gonna take an injury to allow Jay to move on.  Turf Toe, hand issue, or even a hang nail. 

If Jay can bench he who's name shall not be said, then he can bench Alex Smith.

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

Not that I think the Skins FO is even considering it, but I don't think Carr is worth all of that. 

Plus that would essentially mean we effectively gave up this years 3rd rounder and next years 2nd rounder for Derek Carr. 

Ewwww.

i see a lot of kirk cousins in carr 

6 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

should we kick the tires on Derek Carr in the Raiders fire sale?

maybe give them alex smith and a 2nd round draft pick

Alex Smith+Perrine for Carr and Cooper.  If only Bruce was with the Raiders this year!

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If Jay can bench he who's name shall not be said, then he can bench Alex Smith.

You know it was a lot more complicated than that.  And he who's name shall not be said didn't have any guaranteed money that year; unless injured - which would have been very likely.

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Alex Smith+Perrine for Carr and Cooper.  If only Bruce was with the Raiders this year!

You know it was a lot more complicated than that.  And he who's name shall not be said didn't have any guaranteed money that year; unless injured - which would have been very likely.

cooper was traded an hour ago to the cowgirls for a first

gruden fleeced jarrah rofl

i like this it means the cowgirls are stuck with dak and wont find a qb through trade or the draft now

Just now, bird_1972 said:

That price is still too steep. Carr hasn't been the same since the injury.

I'm looking at who's salary would be the easiest to eat.  Could potentially renegotiate Carr to a cap friendly deal and cut losses sooner.  I confess that I don't know how it works but it appears that dead money for Alex would be far greater than for Carr.

Alex Smith:AlexSmith.PNG.0d6cad4391f4e22b3e2f593b0d85019e.PNG

Derek Carr:  1053452652_DerekCarr.PNG.dc56d8fcee3351839cb7c78b810214e5.PNG

Just now, ThomasRoane said:

Ok, but missing wide open receivers?!?! How can you continue to tolerate that?  There were plays to be made and TD's left on the field.  If the cowpies make that field goal they have momentum because our offense showed no signs of life.  They probably win in OT.  Should not have been that close with the work that the defense and AP put in.  Heck, even the special teams was solid!  Coverage was excellent and no dumb gaffs for the return team.   

I'm not championing Smith as some phenomenal QB that's doing the lords work on the field for us, despite everyone holding him back. I'm just saying he was severely handicapped. Maybe if we had his 3 favorite options out there, they wouldn't have been able to take our TEs out and there would be more field to work. He over threw our bust 1rst round WR and our 3rd string blocking TE. They may of had a hand in that too. He hit Bibbs in the hands and he dropped it too.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not championing Smith as some phenomenal QB that's doing the lords work on the field for us, despite everyone holding him back. I'm just saying he was severely handicapped. Maybe if we had his 3 favorite options out there, they wouldn't have been able to take our TEs out and there would be more field to work. He over threw our bust 1rst round WR and our 3rd string blocking TE. They may of had a hand in that too. He hit Bibbs in the hands and he dropped it too.

Yeah but what Patrick Mahomes is doing with the same cast of players that Alex had is really hard to ignore.  I'm having a hard time giving Alex the benefit of the doubt.

Archived