Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Smith does not have Cousins' talent for throwing the football. But what I've seen so far this season, is validation of the idea that not turning the ball over is paramount. Pedestrian QBs can win games in the NFL by protecting the football.  Alex doesn't turn the ball over and it can not be over stated enough, how important that is to winning games. I think it's a huge reason why we're 4-2.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You're trippin. You remember the last time Colt was a starter? Or got a start? Show me any metric that says hes better than Smith. Pick one I dont care which. 

Yall do this with a different QB situation every year lol. 

Start back up

???

Profits 

Always the sell here in DC. 

Oh, trust me.  I know Colt's limitations.  He takes a lot of sacks and he's injury prone.  But he will go down the field and he knows the offense better than Alex.  Alex was supposed to be an RPO guy and Jay probably thought he could duplicate the Eagles success.  Except that defenses have caught up to the scheme (you blitz the mesh) and there is the fact that Alex doesn't have the heart to run it.  He's not reading the DE.  He's going to give it to AP if he even thinks he might get hit.  He's playing scared and he's holding the team back. 

Colt is a much better leader right now.  More than anything that's what a team needs in a QB.  Alex is not playing like a leader.  Dumb mistakes, fear, and inaccuracy are killing him and the team.  The rest of the team is playing pretty good and you never know when you are poised for one of those special years.  The passing game is God awful!  I'm not saying Colt is the future.  He is damn well the best QB on the roster right now and should be on the field.  If a DB is struggling they're not going to let him continue to hurt the team. 

Roll with Colt as far as he can take us then draft a QB next year. 

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Smith does not have Cousins' talent for throwing the football. But what I've seen so far this season, has validated something we have already discussed. You can be not as good a QB and still will games if you don't turn the ball over.  Smith does not turn the ball over. It can not be emphasized enough how big a deal it is to not turn it over.

All of this though is why Alex has a legion of haters following him around from team to team.  It all kind of makes sense now, even the Alex loyalists.  Those who hate him, hate him bad, because they feel he was the primary reason their team never made it very far.  Those who love him, just hated seeing him get beat up so badly by the other side.

The Alex just “wins” argument is stronger than ever lol. 

Another below average game for him and most discouraging for me is the critical situational plays were not there:

A FG drive at minimum some to get Skins up two scores (before Dallas hit on long TD— this was the play of the game in my eyes, provided Dallas hope).

Sprinkle pass— needs to be made. Alex is a guy who MUST hit on these type of plays or it  can be a struggle.

Red zone throw away over Reeds head—- pass attempt needs to provide Reed a chance, due to opportunity to go up 10 being worth the risk. If Skins were up 7 and Alex decided to throw it away—- great play, but Skins were only up 3. Opportunity outweighs risk in that situation. 

Converting a 1st down on final drive to clinch a victory. These are the situations I place supreme value. I truly don’t care how it gets done in these situations (check down, seam throw, scramble, RPO, AP etc.).

****Running out of bounds—- eeek. No, not you Alex. These kind of plays Alex MUST not make— supreme value play to Alex.

No way does Alex need to hit on all these (some moreso than others), but each represent type of situations Alex must be better at. 

On a positive note:

The turnover stuff has highest of high VALUE  in today’s crazy scoring NFL combined with a good to great run game. It provides Skins the opportunity to beat 85% of the NFL. No, the Skins at the moment don’t match up favorably to Chiefs, Pats, Rams, or Saints... but I’ll take an “at bat” in the playoffs and believe in the NFL anything can happen. Alex will most likely win TO battle in games and give you a chance in most games. 

The throws to Doctson are unbelievably critical moving forward. I developed this thinking on spot in game lol. It’s a missing piece to the offense and A throw (Skinny post) Alex is comfortable with it appears.

Screen game was very effective during game and continued mix with creativity weekly is a must. 

Alex can provide similar value without critical weapons at disposal (Thompson, Richardson, Crowder). This should not be under estimated in the least. Alex’s style isn’t a by product solely on weapons around him. Yes, to reach his ultimate ceiling as a QB weapons must be rocking and ready. 

Alex just wins!! :) 

6 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Smith does not have Cousins' talent for throwing the football. But what I've seen so far this season, has validated something we have talked about. You can be not as good a passer, and still win games if you don't turn the ball over.  Smith does not turn the ball over. It can not be emphasized enough how big a deal it is to not turn it over.

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  Nick Foles didn't just take care of the football.  He made some big plays and without that you don't beat a team like a Brady led Patriots with a low scoring offense.  Or the Rams.  Or the Saints.  Or the KC Chiefs.  Or the Vikings ?

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

Oh, trust me.  I know Colt's limitations.  He takes a lot of sacks and he's injury prone.  But he will go down the field and he knows the offense better than Alex.  Alex was supposed to be an RPO guy and Jay probably thought he could duplicate the Eagles success.  Except that defenses have caught up to the scheme (you blitz the mesh) and there is the fact that Alex doesn't have the heart to run it.  He's not reading the DE.  He's going to give it to AP if he even thinks he might get hit.  He's playing scared and he's holding the team back. 

Literally none of this is true outside if the fact that he is holding them back. That play where he ran out of bounds like an idiot was a called run and he ran as hard as his horrible legs would carry him. Not playing scared and he has kept the ball on the RO a few times. Not to any success, I'm not arguing that. But he has run it. Point here is that you are not being rational. Which is understandable. But you didnt post the truth here.

Colt is a much better leader right now. 

How?

More than anything that's what a team needs in a QB.  Alex is not playing like a leader.  Dumb mistakes, fear, and inaccuracy are killing him and the team.  The rest of the team is playing pretty good and you never know when you are poised for one of those special years.  The passing game is God awful!  I'm not saying Colt is the future.  He is damn well the best QB on the roster right now and should be on the field. 

Again, give me any metric that points to this. I might even believe you if you can. I'm certainly not a fan of Smith but you need a reason to pull the QB when we are 4-2. Saying he is killing the team when he has game manager them to a positive record and 2nd in the NFC is a hard sell buddy. 

If a DB is struggling they're not going to let him continue to hurt the team. 

DB and QB are not equal in importance and we know this. .

47 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

However, I'm not gonna sit here and ignore that he didn't have many weapons yesterday, Jay Gruden didn't do him any favors with that play-calling (It's not even about going deep, he just doesn't call plays that makes sense.), and the Cowboys defense is pretty decent.

I'm just going to hope that he plays better. That's all I can ask. But no need to trash him, and definitely no need to compare him to Kirk.

You could even say the game was made simpler by only having a few targets.  He overthrew Doctson twice.  Doctson was clearly beating the matchup and even laid out for it.  The Sprinkle blunder, and that is what it was, is just not what you expect from a guy you are paying a boat load for, who keeps being touted as a pro.   Who essentially disappears in the second half of games.  And also, where is the scheming for Reed?  I mean there is your ace in the RZ.  

Okay we can blame Gruden but the inaccurate passes, the overthrows and under throws were on him yesterday.  The line held up.  Guys were getting open.  I am wanting to be wrong, you have no idea, but eyes are not deceiving me.  Smith is a dumpster fire. 

He does not turn the ball over GREAT!  But his long ball blows. He looks nervous to me. Happy feet.  Gruden then needs to create more plays for him moving out of the pocket.  The timing is so off...ugghh!!!

Cousins is a lot better than Smith, a lot better.  The guys here that said Cousins was average or pretty good but not very good of whatever backhanded compliments they used are getting a real look at average.  Alex is what we got now, Cousins is long gone.  Kirk is wearing purple and it suits him and he suits the Vikings.  I watch their games also and it looks like Kirk has improved again this year.  He has better receivers to work with but I think  he has improved himself as well again.  But Smith is our guy and the Skins are better so let’s enjoy it.

I suggest the season will will be more fun if we all let all the Kirkbstuff go and enjoy what we got, a more balanced team with a better defense and running game and real chance to win a poor division.  Dallas isn’t good, the Eagles have 4 losses and the Giants look poor also, the Skins are the best of a bad lot!  Let’s enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins is a lot better than Smith, a lot better.  The guys here that said Cousins was average or pretty good but not very good of whatever backhanded compliments they used are getting a real look at average.  Alex is what we got now, Cousins is long gone.  Kirk is wearing purple and it suits him and he suits the Vikings.  I watch their games also and it looks like Kirk has improved again this year.  He has better receivers to work with but I think  he has improved himself as well again.  But Smith is our guy and the Skins are better so let’s enjoy it.

I suggest the season will will be more fun if we all let all the Kirkbstuff go and enjoy what we got, a more balanced team with a better defense and running game and real chance to win a poor division.  Dallas isn’t good, the Eagles have 4 losses and the Giants look poor also, the Skins are the best of a bad lot!  Let’s enjoy it.

Its frustrating because we could have been REAL good this year if we kept Cousins since we finally have a run game and D.

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

He does not turn the ball over GREAT!  But his long ball blows. He looks nervous to me. Happy feet.  Gruden then needs to create more plays for him moving out of the pocket.  The timing is so off...ugghh!!!

All fair points, but you can't lessen the impact of having no turnovers. It does too much good for the team to protect the ball.

19 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Smith does not have Cousins' talent for throwing the football. But what I've seen so far this season, is validation of the idea that not turning the ball over is paramount. Pedestrian QBs can win games in the NFL by protecting the football.  Alex doesn't turn the ball over and it can not be over stated enough, how important that is to winning games. I think it's a huge reason why we're 4-2.

Quoted for emphasis and because I just said the same thing again. lol

14 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It was Kirk Cousins kneeling instead of spiking level stupid. I've backed Smith for much of the season, but that run out of bounds play was just unacceptable. Those are the types of things Smith was supposed to be better at than Cousins, the little details that close a game out. The playcalling was trash, but the run was worse.

Yeah, that not sliding literally gave the Cowboys a chance to tie they wouldnt have had.  That FG attempt never gets attempted if the Cowboys are out a timeout, so the Cowboys couldnt throw into the middle of the field in the last 20 seconds, which is the only reason they got in field goal range.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Pull the QB tho. No agendas here

Talk to me after the next 3 games.  I doubt we'll see much improvement.  But hey, maybe Cooley and all the other analysts are wrong and you're right about Alex.  Maybe at 34 years old the light will finally go off and he will become an above average QB.  I'd love to be proven wrong.  But I doubt that will happen.

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Any rookie QB could have us at 4-2.  A guy with no agenda told me that...and I believe him.

Not any rookie.

Kind of ironic watching you guys that have had an agenda for the past two seasons whine about others having an agenda.

The difference is my “agenda” is shared by practically everyone that’s paid to discuss Redskins football, even by folks that touted this “upgrade” six months ago.

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Alex just wins!! :) 

Alex didn't lose. There is a difference. And the difference is on painful display. The team is relatively healthy compared to last year and is overall improved from 2 years ago, so we are squeaking out some close wins right now. Yay us, I like it. But when AP inevitably succumbs to injury, these ugly wins go away. Alex doesn't have the ju ju to carry an offense.

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

man, what a terrible loss yesterday... so much for a chance at the division....

oh... 

The issue goes well beyond yesterday's result; it's about the future.  There is no way Smith's performance yesterday would get a win in the playoffs.  The disgust is based on the opportunities to complete passes that a mediocre QB should have been able to do. 

As of this moment, Smith is not a playoff-caliber QB.  He is hurting the offense and, by definition, hurting the team.  He must play better if the team wants to make the playoffs and then do damage if it makes it there.

Yesterday's game should not have been close.  Alex Smith is mostly to blame for why it was. 

11 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

And also, where is the scheming for Reed?  I mean there is your ace in the RZ.  

This is driving me nuts. We have a healthy Reed, who is one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL when healthy.....and we seem to be basically ignoring him. Is he actually playing hurt and we just don't know it or something? A healthy Jordan Reed on the field should be our #1 weapon, especially with a guy like Alex who loves his TEs. And if Reed is in, WHY is Alex throwing to him so rarely? Reed is one of the best route runners I've seen...even top tier CBs have a hard time keeping up with him, so any sort of "can't get separation" argument is pretty much moot.

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Pull the QB tho. No agendas here

Is Smith the reason we're 4-2?  Probably not... is Smith the reason we're not 2-4.. probably.  It's similar to that 3rd starter in baseball.  The guy who's got a 92 mph fastball, but can carry a 3.5 era.  It's not hall of fame numbers, but you look at him and he's been a starting pitcher for 14 years and has a winning record.  He'll never blow you away with his stuff, but he will keep you in most ballgame that he pitches.  He'll have ugly wins, but rarely does he give up the big ball or double digit hits.  

Smith will never be a flame thrower.  He'll never be Daunte Culpepper when he was with Minn.  What he will do, is make sure that MOST games, we've got a chance to win.  Anyone expecting Smith to come in here and completely light up the league was wrong from the jump.  He's smart.  He's going to make throws, and he'll probably miss a handful because he's making the smart throw where the defender has no shot.  He didn't look great yesterday.   Timing was off... i agree... but look how MANY different players he's had to work with on the first team.  

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Thompson

Peterson

Bibbs

Floyd

Reed

Davis

Sprinkle

Harris

Quinn

Simms

Very difficult to maintain any level of continuity having that much shuffle over 6 weeks... the missed ball to Sprinkle... had it been Reed / Davis, it's caught.  The timing is off because he's still developing with all these guys.  He's not perfect, no.  But he's not terrible either.  Give the guy a chance develop with his team.  

In a weird way, this division is shaping up to be a parallel of Alex Smith's career.  The Giants are ****ting the bed and the Eagles and Cowboys are inconsistent.  All the Redskins have to do is not screw this up and they can take the division.  Kinda like how all Alex Smith has to do is not screw up and he'll win games.

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Cousins’ last 6 games of 2017:  1297 yds, 10 tds, 8 ints, 3-3 w/l

Smith’s first 6 games of 2018:   1383 yds, 7 tds, 2 ints, 4-2 w/l

It is what it is.

I still can never tell if you are trolling or really invest in some of the odd stuff you post.  It will always be a mystery I guess.

Archived