Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Our 2nd half offense thou???  We have what 1 TD in the 2nd half this year.. Smith had that TD to Sprinkle on the same kinda play he blew to Harris vs NO.. But I'll give him a pass today because he had no CT no Crowder nor PRich.. Ill give this win to the coaches and the Dline, And Smith has already done in two weeks what Kirk couldn't do his entire time here, beat Cam and beat Dak and Zeke..

Oh man! Very tired after that game ! In my opinion Alex played poor. Nor like a X years Veteran in this league. But i will give him another shot. Not in the Giants game, because this will be a garbage game like 9 to 12.

Alex get his shot in the Atlanta Game. At home, maby some receivers back, 9 weeks in the season, likley a game wich is dominated by the offense.

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What if, though...What if he firms up on the scheme and starts to get chemistry and continuity with his wideouts?

What if he goes from 170 yds/1 TD to 240 yds/2TDs?  

Seems doable.  How many wins do we get with those numbers?

Well since those are Kirk numbers, I'm guessing 4-2-1

3 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Haha yeah I mean smith hasn’t been great. Whatever, count me in the group who feels amazing we are 4-2 and leading the division in late October. Sorry to those who are more worried about the QB position that the overall team 

Don't play that card, we are all happy to be 4-2. But some of us are looking beyond yesterday and understand you need good QB play to have lasting success and our QB is playing worse each week.  You need your QB to make plays, not just avoid turnovers, and this QB was responsible for 13 points and this is what he has been producing a most of the year.  This can't continue but sadly when you trade for a 34 year old QB this is what happens. 

4 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Haha yeah I mean smith hasn’t been great. Whatever, count me in the group who feels amazing we are 4-2 and leading the division in late October. Sorry to those who are more worried about the QB position that the overall team 

I think everyone feels amazed at being 4-2 right now considering how bad the QB play has been.  

The fact of the matter is this schedule lines up so well for the Skins from here on out too.  Obviously it’s early but that elusive 11 win season looks realistic.  There really arent but a few games out there where the Skins will have to score a lot of points to win.

If that happens, this place will freaking meltdown squandering that with inept QB play.

Rather than relitigating the Cousins debacle, I'm focused on how the Skins can win the division with a game manager QB in a league where teams increasingly have to be putting up 30+ points to win.

I'd like to see Gruden get more creative with the pieces he has. Try some unconventional things. Maybe as he gets more comfortable with Smith's skill set?

I've been extremely impressed with Adrian Peterson, even players have said he's the MVP of the season thus far.  Not just as a player but a motivator and an example.  Reading about how he was preparing players mindset wise for the game against Dallas -- awesome.  I was in the book of I think the defense is good but won't be sold on great until I see it play out -- so far great.  My only concern is depth in the secondary, they don't have much of it.  We've seen what happens when Stroman has to play as an example and yeah hey I get rookie pains but ultimately you can still lose a game ultimately for it.   I'd feel better if we had a veteran on the bench who can step in at corner.

As for QB, I agree with Galdi.  They've won in spite of him.   i am not throwing in the towel though.  And I've heard enough from enough people that cover the team that some in the building and Jay aren't in love with his performance.  So my take I'll just let them deal with it for better or worse -- work to get him to improve or if it doesn't happen then we got Colt.  I am not so sure that Colt is an improvement.  Colt plays in a more gutsy and inspired way IMO but the dude is mega turnover prone.  Alex has been "meh" but if the defense is lights out and Peterson is lights out -- there is a value to a QB who doesn't turn the ball over.  Now, I don't celebrate like some do like hey doesn't turn the ball over, case closed.  

My two biggest disappointing aspects of Alex is he has a little deer in the headlights aspect to his game -- panics a little too much -- as Cooley likes to say plays with happy feet and sees pressure even when its not there.  I watch a lot of the Giants because my wife is a fan of them and Alex reminds me a little (though not as jittery) of Eli on that count.   The other thing is his accuracy.  He's not that accurate.  That surprises me.   That I think will improve.  

I didn't love Alex's performance.  Didn't love Jay's coaching in this one in the 4th quarter -- Jay I thought you said you learned from NO?  But loved the defense and the energy they brought.  Awesome.  And Peterson is a godsend.

But let's make one thing clear: #Redskins are 4-2 in spite of their QB, not because of him. Alex has been bad in three straight games now, and his scramble out of bounds late was one of the worst decisions a reputed "winner" will ever make.

Crazy question to be asking but where would the Redskins be without Adrian Peterson this season? A couple players just told me they think he has been their MVP. What if he hadnt been signed?

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Crazy question to be asking but where would the Redskins be without Adrian Peterson this season? A couple players just told me they think he has been their MVP. What if he hadnt been signed?

Nobody can be more thankful for AP than Alex, because his head would be on a stake right now without him.  He should stop by Doug and Eric’s office every morning with coffee and a pastry. It’s not just the yards for AP, but so many drives would be dead without him.

38 minutes ago, profusion said:

Rather than relitigating the Cousins debacle, I'm focused on how the Skins can win the division with a game manager QB in a league where teams increasingly have to be putting up 30+ points to win.

I'd like to see Gruden get more creative with the pieces he has. Try some unconventional things. Maybe as he gets more comfortable with Smith's skill set?

Despite where the league has gone, the fundamental laws of football still of exist. Its like Newtons laws of physics.  If you can control the line of scri.mage and protect the rock, you will win more often than you lose. That will never , ever change.

Gruden does have to get more bold though. That last sequence was sad. Then again, missing CT, Crowder, and Richardson hurts, undeniably, yet he got it done, against a really good defense

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gruden does have to get more bold though. That last sequence was sad. 

I think if the coach is anyone but Jay, he takes less heat for being so conservative down the stretch.  Given how porous Alex has been, if you trust him to throw it there you risk incompletions stopping the clock at minimum.  Worse yet, turns it over.  His car would be on fire in the parking lot if any of that happens.  He knows his defense is the strong point of his team and he put it on their shoulders.  I’m not saying it’s the 100% right thing to do but I can totally understand the thought process.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:38 PM, JSSkinz said:

On Cooley's breakdown of the offense from the Saints game you can hear the disappointment in his voice when he talks about the QB, RB's, and WR's not being in sync and he doesn't say that it can't change but when you listen to him and his tonality he makes it sound as though he doesn't believe it will, basically as if this team has no chance in any game where they are not effectively running the ball.

Most of us know this is where we are right now as a team but I don't want to believe it's going to be that way all year.

Cooley knows what he's talking about, he's not perfect but nobody is and for him to feel that way says a lot, IMO.

Indeed. And against Dallass yesterday we had to use the run game more, not just to set up good passing plays, but to get major yardage. AP is still da man. ?

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I remember the good old days when the winning QB got all the glory and it was an agenda to say otherwise ?

Unfortunately thats primarily how we were built, even going back to when RG3 was good.  QB plays good =  probably win, but can lose,  QB plays so-so = maybe win, probably lose.  QB plays bad = definitely lose.

A legit D goes a long way.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gruden does have to get more bold though. That last sequence was sad. Then again, missing CT, Crowder, and Richardson hurts, undeniably, yet he got it done, against a really good defense

I dont understand why we spend all game setting up a team to over play the run and dont throw any play action. I understand Alex has been less than advertised so far in pretty much ever way (dudes legs are even gone smh) but he should be killing them in play action passes to Reed and Davis at this point. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Despite where the league has gone, the fundamental laws of football still of exist. Its like Newtons laws of physics.  If you can control the line of scri.mage and protect the rock, you will win more often than you lose. That will never , ever change.

I completely agree about controlling the lines, but (even if they make the playoffs) ground-and-pound ain't going to get it done against the Saints and Rams.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think without AP we're probably a 1 win team. Probably could still have beaten Arizona. AP had a good game against them but they're still really bad. He ran wild on the Packers so not having him would have made that game very different IMO. The others where he performed were squeakers where our offense otherwise did very little. This is another worry with Alex. What if AP can't last all season? Then we're likely up ****'s creek.

I'm up and down on Smith, but I think some of you are too harsh. Some of those passes to Doctson were fit in pretty tight windows and came in with great accuracy. I don't know if we should be down on him for those few plays that missed by inches. Those bombs were so close... and Quick should have caught that Hail Mary dagnabbit!

He hasn't been accurate enough, but he's also not throwing ducks. That suggests to me that an element of it does have to do with timing, play calling, etc.

Just now, Burgold said:

I'm up and down on Smith, but I think some of you are too harsh. Some of those passes to Doctson were fit in pretty tight windows and came in with great accuracy. I don't know if we should be down on him for those few plays that missed by inches. Those bombs were so close... and Quick should have caught that Hail Mary dagnabbit!

The passes to Doctson were only special to us because we haven’t seen them yet.  To me that’s what we’ve been expecting, QB101 stuff.  Don’t get me wrong, I was glad to see it.  Just need to see it every week.

1 hour ago, profusion said:

Let's be honest.  The only way this team will improve on offense is if Alex Smith gets hurt.  With his big $ that's the only way he's leaving the field.  I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only Redskin's fan who wants that injury to happen.  Nothing really bad but just enough to give Jay an excuse to pull Alex and put in Colt.  At least Colt has the mastery of the offense and the guts to play to win.  Alex is playing tentative and scared.  His eyes show no confidence whatsoever.  And yeah, I get it that his receivers are dinged up.  But he has what Kirk didn't have last year: a solid defense, a running game and both Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis on the field and a long term commitment from the team. 

There is nothing in Alex Smith's game that gives me any hope that he will magically morph into an above average QB.  People talk about lack of turnovers.  So, you want to settle for John Beck and Mark Brunell?  Actually, Alex Smith is an insult to Brunell.  Seriously, what is his skill set?  He is an RPO QB who has lost his desire to run.  So what are we doing here?  He's clearly holding the team back.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The passes to Doctson were only special to us because we haven’t seen them yet.  To me that’s what we’ve been expecting, QB101 stuff.  Don’t get me wrong, I was glad to see it.  Just need to see it every week.

I agree, but that's progress. Yesterday was ugly for a different reason. He actually started pulling the trigger more (half the battle) but was pretty inaccurate. If he can improve there and is more willing to throw the mid-range passes, then maybe we can see an adequate passing game. 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Consistency should come with time though. I haven't done any analysis on the offense to this degree but I would be interested to see so far what we do compared to what he did in KC. I would expect, based solely off his play, that we are doing some things he didn't in KC and I'm sure there is a learning curve there. 

But then if you tell me we are doing the same things that would be pretty disappointing. And I'm already disappointed. 

However, I would still expect him to be better at the end of the season than he is now. Hes the new guy and hes running things. It's not supposed to be easy. (But it ain't supposed to be this hard either)

You guys say this and yet I can't escape the suspicion that we are 2-4 with Cousins at QB this year despite getting much better QB play. I really believe that. Alex hasn't been making plays, but he does avoid making the mistakes that Cousins seemed always to find a way to make. Somehow, Cousins would have been guilty of the sack fumble for a touchdown yesterday or thrown a pick six, etc. Cousins also probably doesn't make the first touchdown pass because almost never capitalized in the red zone. That's three points right there instead of seven. Somehow, for all his woes our redzone efficiency has been far superior with Smith.

In any case, we're 4-2. Who talks about replacing the QB when the team is 4-2 and leading the division?

Archived