Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Not really. We will be getting the 3rd rounder back in 2019 once Kirk leaves. We basically traded Fuller for Smith. And solidified the QB position for the next few seasons with a guy that WANTED to be here. And Smith is an upgrade over Cousins.

But this is not true.  If we sign 1 top free agent, the formula will give us nothing, as it will balance out the "give and take" free agent signings..  It's why the Redskins never have high comp picks.

Edit:  Coincidence, See post below for clarification:

They would be in line to receive a third-round compensatory pick in the 2019 draft, but that will happen only if Snyder sits out free agency and doesn't sign any players who will cancel out the Cousins comp pick. Doing that would require levels of patience and forward thinking this organization simply hasn't shown.

Loser: Washington

...The public missteps the organization made during 2016 were one thing, but the dismal offer the franchise made to Cousins last summer -- which was followed by publicly throwing Cousins under the bus with distorted statistics surrounding the proposal -- was scarcely believable.

Can you imagine any other team's executives calling their star quarterback by the wrong name?

Smith is four years older than Cousins and has two playoff wins in seven appearances. From this moment forward, he's also going to (unfairly) be the scapegoat for what Washington did wrong with an understandably furious fan base. Smith is the just-as-good replacement you buy when your child loses his/her favorite toy. The sentimental attachment probably means more than the actual toy itself.

Trading for Smith and extending him eliminates the possibility of getting a serious return for Cousins. Washington would have been playing a dangerous game by franchising Cousins for a third season at $34.5 million, but it would have allowed Washington to field trade offers from teams that would have acquired Cousins and immediately offered him an extension to reduce his cap hold.

Instead, with Smith likely occupying $20 million in cap room, Washington will let Cousins hit unrestricted free agency this March. They would be in line to receive a third-round compensatory pick in the 2019 draft, but that will happen only if Snyder sits out free agency and doesn't sign any players who will cancel out the Cousins comp pick. Doing that would require levels of patience and forward thinking this organization simply hasn't shown.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22271779/winners-losers-alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-washington-redskins-2018-nfl-offseason

The only good thing is the whole LTD, is Kirk staying or going is over and not dragging it out until FA or draft (this does not mean I like the trade - don't confuse my comment with that).

Bad thing is paying that much for an older QB, though, since nothing is official yet on the extension, we don't know the exact cap hit/structure yet (while knowing those contracts are not five years, most likely 3 at best) and giving up the best slot CB in the league (arguably).  I'm kinda split on the "we should have tagged and traded" him last year, simply because other teams wouldn't have given us something of worth for him knowing that this year he was most likely walking or being transition tagged and going elsewhere.  

It's easy to sit here today and say, we should have traded him last year and gotten what we could for him, etc.  because hind sight is 20/20.  I understand people being pissed off and angry about it.  I used to get bent out of shape all the time about horrible FO moves, so I totally get it.  But as a fan, I'm still rooting for this team, all this **** is out of my control and getting pissed to the point of it impacting my day isn't worth it anymore.  That also doesn't mean that myself (or others that feel the same) are blind sheep to the FO.

I'm just a fan that is running out of "give a ****s", but still a fan none the less.

A lot of the things being said about Fuller folks were saying about Breeland once upon a time.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They would be in line to receive a third-round compensatory pick in the 2019 draft, but that will happen only if Snyder sits out free agency and doesn't sign any players who will cancel out the Cousins comp pick. Doing that would require levels of patience and forward thinking this organization simply hasn't shown.

I hadnt factored that in. So what level of player would cancel that out?  How is that determined?

4 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I've never said Kirk is Captain Checkdown, but it irritates me watching him not throw checkdowns and eat sacks and lose the football regularly, when the checkdown is available.

Seriously, have you ever watched Alex Smith play football? There is nothing in the world Alex Smith loves throwing more than a screen pass to a goddamn tight end.

I'm honestly surprised that Fat Andy is letting Smith go, because there is no coach in football who loves calling a wide receiver screen on third and eight more than Andy Reid. And Alex Smith was designed by God himself to throw a wide receiver screen on third and eight.

Is Chris Thompson still on the team? Because if he is, he's going to lead the league in receptions next year.

We basically get the same caliber player for a cheaper deal, and stability at the QB position for the next 3 years. Not happy about losing Fuller but Dunbar was being groomed to be the starter anyway. We now have the ability to resign our own players and potentially land an impact free agent with the draft still to come. This is a step forward for the franchise not back.

I wonder what it's like to work at Redskins Park, in or around the FO, when stuff like this goes down.

Working for one of the largest financial institutions in the world, I've seen my fair share of wrongdoing.  Not things that I or my teams have been responsible for, but other units within this great big corporation.  The bad publicity takes it's toll.  A lot of folks sitting around wondering if they are in the twilight zone.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its basically a tail of two franchises, one with foresight and savvy, drafting a player a year ago to take the reigns from the guy they never believed in, and then cashing in on it big time.  Another franchise desperate with no plan giving up assets to get what the savvy team didn't want.

Cheifs are not a bunch of "geniuses".  They've only won one playoff game this century, same as us, and banking on a rookie QB who's in his second season and only started one game in his career.  Cheifs are taking a risk, too.

2 minutes ago, Sir Dubbington said:

We basically get the same caliber player for a cheaper deal, and stability at the QB position for the next 3 years. Not happy about losing Fuller but Dunbar was being groomed to be the starter anyway. We now have the ability to resign our own players and potentially land an impact free agent with the draft still to come. This is a step forward for the franchise not back.

I guess,,,  if you figure Cousins will remain this caliber of player.

In saying that for the next 7 years of his career, what he is now (Alex Smith) is what he's always going to be.

Alex Smith has reached his ceiling.

Has Cousins?

I don't think so.

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Sir Dubbington said:

:ols:

You're funny. 

34 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Accidentally put this in the wrong thread.... whoops.

I'm not a fan of letting Fuller go, but I keep finding myself asking the question.... whats worse?

Colt McCoy @ QB with Fuller on Defense

Alex Smith @ QB without Fuller on Defense...

The draft pick stings a bit, but a 3rd rounder isn't a sure fire starter.. could be a rotational piece that has a role, or luck box into a guard that might be ready to start in 2 years.  The other thing that this does is it helps us in free agency, as well as player retention.  If we go to any valued WR or RB and present a contract offer, the first thing they will look at is who is under center.. Offering a 'fair' offer with the idea that Colt McCoy is the plan 'for now' while we figure it out is going to be a major red flag.  Having Alex Smith for the next 4 years could be the difference between them signing here. 

Well you also have around 23.5 million per year more in the first scenario. I simply hate to trade away Fuller. This guy is going to be a perennial pro bowler. We drafted that guy. We found an absolute stud in the third round, someone who wanted to be here. I just cannot wrap my head around why you let go of probably the best player you drafted in the last couple of years for an aging quarterback. It's not like we are in a win now mode.

Switching Cousins and Smith is not a back-breaker (especially since Cousins obviously didn't want to stay), but letting go of one of the most promising young defensive players in the league is a move only loser franchises make. How many years has Fuller left, how many has Smith left? And does anyone think we are going to immediately become a contender with Smith at the helmet.

This sucks! Not because of Alex Smith but because the front office is so blatantly incapable of building sustainable success that it just has to hurt every fan. People were excited about our young players and their potential. How big are the chances of finding a cornerback that delivers like this within his second year in the league? Even if we draft a cornerback in the first, there is still a significant chance that player is never going to be better than average.

Would have rather stuck with JAG for a year (especially in a year where a lot of quarterbacks will become available) and continue to built through the draft, than trading away our best young player (playing on an amazingly cheap rookie contract).

This move is not going to take the Redskins to another level. At best we will stay the same. But what's the benefit of that?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Cheifs are not a bunch of "geniuses".  They've only won one playoff game this century, same as us, and banking on a rookie QB who's in his second season and only started one game in his career.  Cheifs are taking a risk, too.

I never said they were geniuses, but they regularly field a more competitive team than the Redskins.  They are taking a risk, but a well thought out calculated risk that was planned in advance.  Regularly fielding a competitive team and taking calculated risks that are well planned are two things Bruce Allen knows nothing about historically.  The saddest part is that it was Andy Reid who fleeced Allen the last time and he still doesn't know any better.

11 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

But this is not true.  If we sign 1 top free agent, the formula will give us nothing, as it will balance out the "give and take" free agent signings..  It's why the Redskins never have high comp picks.

Edit:  Coincidence, See post below for clarification:

Do you know how the league defines a "top free agent"? If they base it off of salary structure then we are virtually assured to be getting a third round pick next year. 

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Seriously, have you ever watched Alex Smith play football? There is nothing in the world Alex Smith loves throwing more than a screen pass to a goddamn tight end.

I'm honestly surprised that Fat Andy is letting Smith go, because there is no coach in football who loves calling a wide receiver screen on third and eight more than Andy Reid. And Alex Smith was designed by God himself to throw a wide receiver screen on third and eight.

Is Chris Thompson still on the team? Because if he is, he's going to lead the league in receptions next year.

Exactly...

Im not against the trade from the stand point that we were losing Kirk and needed a QB.  I was a fan of Kirk and hate to see him go but our FA was just not going to make it happen and Kirk (I think) got tired of the BS.  He was fine playing under the tag cause it meant getting paid and that he had all the control and leverage.  

We now get to see how Kirk's career play out elsewhere.  Will be interesting to watch/listen to all the Redskin fans that hated Kirk deal with Smith.  As pointed out above Smith LOVES the screen and check downs.  Thompson will lead the team in receptions again.

3 minutes ago, C26 Run said:

Could've given Cravens and no one would've cared but Fuller was our best CB this season.  

The problem with this is that it would have required the Chiefs to want Su'a.  The Redskins were in a bidding war with the Browns and the Chiefs pounced on the Redskins desperation by seeking a specific player they rightly view as an instant starter and upgrade for which they can pay peanuts to for the next 2 seasons.

I posted this elsewhere but it pretty much sums up my feelings now:

It's just embarrasing.

Aren't people just tired of wasting time and money being fans of a thoughless, hateful organization run by scumbags who have the second fault of also being ignorant and arrogant half-wits? 

I'm tired of supporting this garbage. It's a total embarrassment being a fan of this team. And I sure as hell don't plan on indoctrinating my 1 year old in the fandom of a hopeless franchise run by idiotic scumbags. I've been contemplating a purchase of a Miracle on Ice framed photograph, or perhaps, a Framed Photograph of Donovan's famous winner against Slovenia in 2010. I want my house to be one filled with hope and promise and possibility for my son. The Redskins are bad enough, and that fandom is only compounded in misery by the presence of the choking caps and nats, and forever mediocre or worse Boulez. 

I'm just tired of watching other teams learn from mistakes, hire the innovative and wise, and as a result of these choices end up with beautiful moments that can be celebrated. It's been decades since D.C. sports teams have provided any of us with any of that. I'm pretty much fill to the brim with the kind of self-loathing misery that these teams enforce by dictate on their own fans by fiat. Sick to death of it. 

They've done absolutely NOTHING to deserve our loyalty and indeed, ritually punish us on an annual basis for our committment to such misguided loyalty. I'm beyond over it. 

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Josh Norman signing is really the only "splash" move we've made since the RGIII trade, isn't it?

There seems to be no danger of Jay or Bruce ever being replaced. We have a reasonably competent, very safe starting QB locked up until he's damn near 40. Our #1 draft picks in recent years by and large make sense even if they don't re-invent football. Our FA signings emphasize short term deals on competent players.

We're the Bengals if the Bengals gave a damn about character.

I'm quoting the wrong post but this is a response to your post about the floor of an Alex Smith team being 6-10.  I don't even have that level of faith in him.  I could definitely see the wheels coming off for us.  Alex Smith can look totally hapless and not having the ability to throw the whole route tree and push safeties out of the box is going to hamstring us.  We don't have a Frank Gore nor a defense with guys like Bowman and Willis and Justin Smith and Aldon Smith on it.  When it's bad with Smith, it looks really bad because there can be no attendant hope.  It's like watching a plucky mid major team running a triple option offense against a blue blood with recruits that completely outclass them at every position.  The train just gets rolling and your night is subsequently filled with horror and shame.

But that's not even what I'm mad about really.  The downgrade at QB is disappointing but not damning.  What's damning is the unbelievable incompetence and squandering of resources it took to get here.  We lost a franchise QB for nothing because of incompetence in negotiation.  We lost our best young defensive player and a third round pick for the trouble of saving a few million a year by downgrading at the QB position.  These are stunning and inexcusable failures.  This is why everyone involved needs to be fired, even if they figured out a way to go 8-8 every season.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Loser: Washington

Instead, with Smith likely occupying $20 million in cap room, Washington will let Cousins hit unrestricted free agency this March. They would be in line to receive a third-round compensatory pick in the 2019 draft, but that will happen only if Snyder sits out free agency and doesn't sign any players who will cancel out the Cousins comp pick. Doing that would require levels of patience and forward thinking this organization simply hasn't shown.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22271779/winners-losers-alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-washington-redskins-2018-nfl-offseason

I predict it doesn't happen.  The Skins are going to sign a big name free agent, probably on offense, to wipe out that potential 3rd round 2019 Comp pick. 

I know some say we can still tag Kirk with the Transition tag and then trade him.  Doesn't he have to sign that tender also. for us to be able to do that?  I don't see why Kirk would do that.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The problem with this is that it would have required the Chiefs to want Su'a.  The Redskins were in a bidding war with the Browns and the Chiefs pounced on the Redskins desperation by seeking a specific player the view as an instant starter and upgrade for which they can pay peanuts to for the next 2 seasons.

We outbid the Browns and that's something to be proud of? Getting AS is an awful choice also but with losing Fuller, the Redskins were taken advantage of by Andy Reid once again.  I completely understand why Cousins felt disrespected.  Signing AS for 23.75/year?  Are you kidding me?  We lost a young DB, that was a potential building block for an aging veteran that may not even finish his contract. 

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I know some say we can still tag Kirk with the Transition tag and then trade him.  Doesn't he have to sign that tender also. for us to be able to do that?  I don't see why Kirk would do that.

If he doesn't sign it.. doesn't he have to sit out for the year?

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But that's not even what I'm mad about really.  The downgrade at QB is disappointing but not damning.  What's damning is the unbelievable incompetence and squandering of resources it took to get here.  We lost a franchise QB for nothing because of incompetence in negotiation.  We lost our best young defensive player and a third round pick for the trouble of saving a few million a year by downgrading at the QB position.  These are stunning and inexcusable failures.  This is why everyone involved needs to be fired, even if they figured out a way to go 8-8 every season.

Ding, ding, ding.

Removing all emotion from the situation and just looking at it without any bias towards anyone, it absolutely wreaks of desperation in an effort to save face because they knew damn well that rolling with Colt wasn't going to fly and they don't have time on their side with developing a rookie.

What I find funny about all this is that many of the AntiKirk folks here have been on the bandwagon to move away from Kirk, build up the defense and start fresh with a rookie QB on a rookie's salary.  It's not a plan that I saw eye to eye with, but...it's a better plan than giving up a draft pick, a stud and spending 71M guaranteed dollars that all but guarantees that Alex Smith is your starter for his 34th, 35th and 36th birthdays.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm quoting the wrong post but this is a response to your post about the floor of an Alex Smith team being 6-10.  I don't even have that level of faith in him.  I could definitely see the wheels coming off for us.  Alex Smith can look totally hapless and not having the ability to throw the whole route tree and push safeties out of the box is going to hamstring us.  We don't have a Frank Gore nor a defense with guys like Bowman and Willis and Justin Smith and Aldon Smith on it.  When it's bad with Smith, it looks really bad because there can be no attendant hope.  It's like watching a plucky mid major team running a triple option offense against a blue blood with recruits that completely outclass them at every position.  The train just gets rolling and your night is subsequently filled with horror and shame.

Can't fire the owner.....Figuratively

Archived