Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

5 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Whatever mistakes the FO have made in the past have been made, and they are rightly pilioried for them, but Kirk Cousins does not want to be a Redskin and hasn't for quite a while.

:ols:

They haven't paid for their mistakes at all.  It should be Bruce Allen's ****ing job!  Trying to put this on Kirk in any way is a defense of the Allen regime.  And everything said in defense of his regime is a defense of the arsonist who attempts to put out his own fire.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ask yourself this...

Why does he feel the need to speak out that way?  Why are numerous other players outright expressing their displeasure or dropping it to reporters?

Are they just stupid, disrespectful, malcontents?  Or are they professionals that know what professional organizations look like and DGAF what these jokers think about what they are saying?

If he would have tweeted. "Ah man it sucks that we lost Fuller. Great player, great teammate! Good luck brother." I would have had no problem. I understand that it sucks to lose a great teammate. 

But I must admit that it's a personal thing. I just don't like attacking people in the open, in general. I'm more of the talk about it behind closed doors. But that's my personality, can't change that. D.J. has a different personality and I respect that. Just don't agree with that. 

I like Alex Smith better than Bridgewater/Bradford/Foles or any of the other options the Redskins had once Kirk walked... I agree that giving up Fuller and a 3rd is a heavy price - but so be it.  Maybe Kirk is worth the Stafford or Flacco level deal that he will be getting, I suppose that thinking is what led to the original contract issue. 

Kirk took a step back this season and the team didn't make the playoffs last season.  Fairly he had to shoulder more of the load.... I was already indifferent about him.

We are all afraid that Cousins is going to turn into Brees or Brady... at this point after the past 2 seasons, I'm beyond those fears.  Brees went off at age 27, 28... Cousins is a solid-plus NFL QB.  We just saw NFL championship games with Bortles, Foles, and Case Keenam starting...

This team...

I hope Smith comes in and kills it but....

I don't see him as an upgrade - yet very capable.  Sucks to lose Fuller.  

I hate that two players that the Skins draft and perform well are leaving in their prime (cousins) and on the rise (Fuller).

I HATE that our FO hasn't talked to Kirk at all since season end (as I heard reported).  They got their feelings hurt and their egos got in the way of working a deal with Kirk IMO.  I HATE that our FO tried to low ball (actually insult him) a couple years ago when they could have signed him to a long term affordable deal.  I also HATE that Fuller finds out he is traded via ESPN.  

On the bright side we have a capable QB and are not breaking the bank for him (well 71 mil isn't cheap either).  We will get a 3rd round pick back when Kirk signs.  We can make some moves in FA and the draft knowing the QB position is set.  The bridge was burnt with Kirk and there was little choice but to make a move to get a QB.  Wondering if we draft a QB in the 1st... guess not since we signed Smith to 4 years.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is what it says to me. It says to me that Dan Snyder has a spreadsheet somewhere that shows that as long as the team averages 7-9 each year, the revenue will stay the same the same. I think that 3-13 season under Shanahan spooked him badly as that was the closest to a full-on fan revolt as he ever saw.

The moves under Allen since then have been shockingly conservative. We are suddenly very concerned about not overpaying. There is an emphasis on stability and depth and roster balance. But it's been done at the price of actually having stars. It's not a roster with just ridiculously glaring holes - except maybe at safety. But it's also not a roster with anyone that anyone else would really want - with the possible exceptions of Williams, Norman for one year, and maybe sort of Kerrigan.

It's a roster absolutely built to go 7-9 or 8-8 every single year.

With Alex Smith as your QB, I think the absolute floor of a season is 6-10. That's if everything that can possibly go wrong does go wrong. On his own with limited weapons, he'll get you to 8-8. Give him the weapons KC had last year - and that offense was loaded - and you'll win the division.

This seems to be what Allen and Snyder want now. The Skins don't really dream big any longer. The goal is currently to avoid disaster.

My goodness this is an absolutely perfect breakdown.

Just now, Fergasun said:

We are all afraid that Cousins is going to turn into Brees or Brady... at this point after the past 2 seasons, I'm beyond those fears.  Brees went off at age 27, 28... Cousins is a solid-plus NFL QB.  We just saw NFL championship games with Bortles, Foles, and Case Keenam starting...

That's been my point recently.  I just think unless you have Brady (not even Brees because where is he now? how many SBs he been to?) you're basically just hoping for a shot once in a decade, with some playoff appearances besides that.  No reason Smith can't do it, though Cousins can't even get to the playoffs...so what are we missing?

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Ohhh.. I figured the tweet was about the 2017 season, not 2013.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

:ols:

They haven't paid for their mistakes at all.  It should be Bruce Allen's ****ing job!  Trying to put this on Kirk in any way is a defense of the Allen regime.  And everything said in defense of his regime is a defense of the arsonist who attempts to put out his own fire.

I don't defend BA or the FO. I can't be much clearer. If you look at it objectively, Kirk has some blame in this. If you can't look at it objectively, well then you have an issue and there's no point debating it further.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Chiefs fans seem to be really upset about this news:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313573&page=2

Or not...

:rofl89:

This cannot be understated.  For every AntiKirk homer here that believes Kirks success is a mirage, there are way more Chiefs fans laughing all the way to the bank that they got a stud corner and a third for a guy they've never believed in.

Its basically a tail of two franchises, one with foresight and savvy, drafting a player a year ago to take the reigns from the guy they never believed in, and then cashing in on it big time.  Another franchise desperate with no plan giving up assets to get what the savvy team didn't want.

Accidentally put this in the wrong thread.... whoops.

I'm not a fan of letting Fuller go, but I keep finding myself asking the question.... whats worse?

Colt McCoy @ QB with Fuller on Defense

Alex Smith @ QB without Fuller on Defense...

The draft pick stings a bit, but a 3rd rounder isn't a sure fire starter.. could be a rotational piece that has a role, or luck box into a guard that might be ready to start in 2 years.  The other thing that this does is it helps us in free agency, as well as player retention.  If we go to any valued WR or RB and present a contract offer, the first thing they will look at is who is under center.. Offering a 'fair' offer with the idea that Colt McCoy is the plan 'for now' while we figure it out is going to be a major red flag.  Having Alex Smith for the next 4 years could be the difference between them signing here. 

According to some Alex Smith only put up numbers because he was surrounded by awesome offensive talent and yet the biggest reason they lost the game to the Titans was that once Kelce went down there wasn't a receiver worth a  damn on the field.  The whole narrative about the lack of TD passes to WRs in Kansas is basically because they continually put practice squad level guys out there in those positions.  Alex threw plenty of passes and TDs to WRs in San Fran when the talent was there.

Not intending this as a commentary on the deal, it is what it is and no amount of pissing and moaning will change that.  I think Alex is a good player and in Jay's system will produce at a pretty high level.  I don't love letting Fuller go but we only have an incomplete picture at this point so I am not going to lose my mind.  

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

My goodness this is an absolutely perfect breakdown.

The Josh Norman signing is really the only "splash" move we've made since the RGIII trade, isn't it?

There seems to be no danger of Jay or Bruce ever being replaced. We have a reasonably competent, very safe starting QB locked up until he's damn near 40. Our #1 draft picks in recent years by and large make sense even if they don't re-invent football. Our FA signings emphasize short term deals on competent players.

We're the Bengals if the Bengals gave a damn about character.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Which one is it?  Kirk is captain checkdown that just dumps off to check downs? Or he just sits in the pocket for an hour?

Even though there is a load of information out there that disqualifies both of those narratives.

The fact is, your allegiance to the team supercedes your desire to utilize logic.  That's fandom and that's fine for you.  It burns your ass that Kirk isn't in love with being a Redskin, fine.  

It doesn't alarm you at all that the QB doesn't feel positive about the FO's ability to build a winner, that numerous players are outraged about this and don't really care to hide it?  That doesn't sound off any alarms that perhaps they are right?

I've never said Kirk is Captain Checkdown, but it irritates me watching him not throw checkdowns and eat sacks and lose the football regularly, when the checkdown is available.

I'm not surprised players are outraged, the FO crapped all over Fuller and players are rightly furious about it, as are most of the fans.

It doesn't burn me at all that Kirk isn't in love with being a Redskin, it burns me that people are dumb enough to believe he is despite all his actions running contrary to that perception. 

I don't worry too much about what KC thinks because his own perception of himself seems to be so markedly out of whack with reality that he is good but not elite. I haven't once defended or supported the FO. This isn't about being on Kirk or Bruce's side, but it seems the Kirk lovers are trying to paint me into that corner because I've said I don't like Kirk. I like him better than Bruce but I think they're both idiots

Archived