Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Kirk Cousins didn't want to be here. Wasn't coming back.  People need to be at peace with that fact.  Stop talking about 2015 & 2016, we know the front office screwed up. It does no one any good to keep re-litigating the past.  There was a situation in 2017, the present day.  Cousins wasn't going to do anything on his end to return to this team. The only option was to franchise him for 34ish million, or transition tag and hope no team offered to pay him more than this team would, which is not likely.

So the front office did what they had to do to rectify. This trade is essentially Alex Smith for Kendal Fuller.  I don't like seeing Fuller go. He was a good young player. However, are you telling me you wouldn't trade a slot corner for a QB? Really?  I don't consider the 3rd round pick, because the team is likely getting that right back as a compensatory pick. 

2 minutes ago, C26 Run said:

We outbid the Browns and that's something to be proud of?

Absolutely not, you let them win that deal every time before you give up Fuller.  You man up and tag Kirk and advise him he needs to find a trade suitor.  You then go all in on selecting the best possible QB they can attain in the draft and potentially a cheaper stop gap FA QB.  But Bruce's clock is ticking and Alex Smith gives him the best chance to not suck enough to get fired, but not be good enough to actually win anything.

58 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh we are going to hate Smith because of his interception percentage. Trust me on this one.

What are you talking about?  He's averaged 6 INT's a year for the last 7 seasons...Kirk has averaged 12 over his three years as the full-time starter...

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

More cap money now to re-sign Brown?? I doubt if Zach would want to resign here now. We just got weaker and gave away one of the  strongest members of his D. Hell, they didn't even bother to notify Kendall until after twitter had blown up. Why would Zach want to be part of this? I'm not even sure that I do

That's something that definitely smells right now.  This could and should have been handled by the FO a lot better than it was.  

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm quoting the wrong post but this is a response to your post about the floor of an Alex Smith team being 6-10.  I don't even have that level of faith in him.  I could definitely see the wheels coming off for us.  Alex Smith can look totally hapless and not having the ability to throw the whole route tree and push safeties out of the box is going to hamstring us.  We don't have a Frank Gore nor a defense with guys like Bowman and Willis and Justin Smith and Aldon Smith on it.  When it's bad with Smith, it looks really bad because there can be no attendant hope.  It's like watching a plucky mid major team running a triple option offense against a blue blood with recruits that completely outclass them at every position.  The train just gets rolling and your night is subsequently filled with horror and shame.

I actually think the time with Andy Reid helped Smith. In San Francisco, he just wasn't ever going over the top. Andy's whole offense is screen, screen, draw, screen, draw, throw the ball 70 yard, screen, draw, etc. The fact that Smith would occasionally let a deep pass fly with Reid felt differently. Granted, we don't have those weapons (at this time) but who knows.....

But, even in KC, there were hopeless games. If you are down 14 with Alex Smith, you are down 35.  How this is going to help us when Philly seems to have a non-criminal, non-retarded Ben Roethlisberger clone as their QB for the next decade, I don't know.

I've not remotely looked yet. What's the FA market at wide receiver look like this year?

If so Bruce got his magic 2 years fully guaranteed and no more, that was supposedly one of the sticking points on the Kirk negotiations

JP Finlay Retweeted Ian Rapoport

3 years guaranteed for injury. And my guess is only 2 years fully guaranteed

JP Finlay added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
The #Redskins now have QB Alex Smith under contract for 5 years for $111M. Of that, $71M is guaranteed for injury — basically three seasons. At that point, he’ll be 36.

Retweet

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Kirk Cousins didn't want to be here. Wasn't coming back.  People need to be at peace with that fact.  Stop talking about 2015 & 2016, we know the front office screwed up. It does no one any good to keep re-litigating the past.  There was a situation in 2017, the present day.  Cousins wasn't going to do anything on his end to return to this team. The only option was to franchise him for 34ish million, or transition tag and hope no team offered to pay him more than this team would, which is not likely.

So the front office did what they had to do to rectify. This trade is essentially Alex Smith for Kendal Fuller.  I don't like seeing Fuller go. He was a good young player. However, are you telling me you wouldn't trade a slot corner for a QB? Really?  I don't consider the 3rd round pick, because the team is likely getting that right back as a compensatory pick. 

I would say just let the dam burst, start pretty boy McCoy. You already ****ed up, stop doing dumb **** to **** things up more.

It would be ironic if we lost out on the 3rd round comp pick. We’d then essentially be giving up 2 3rd round picks for Smith.  

I don’t think we’ll lose it though.  Around 23.5 mil for Smith and 15-17 mil for emergencies/draft pick means we probably have less than 10 mil for FA.  Foster and Dunbar don’t count since they signed extensions/didn’t hit FA.  So we can’t cancel out Cousins’ contract.  I would say it’s possible the comp pick gets bumped to a lower round though.  

Just don’t get the additional 3.5 mil in cap space vs a pro bowl caliber db, a 3rd round pick and a qb with a lower ceiling.  I guess if your perspective is that you either didn’t want Cousins back or didn’t believe he’d re-sign, you can excuse losing the db talent and draft pick.  I sure can’t.  

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd rather sign a QB in FA and draft one in the near future than pay a marginal, aging QB like Alex Smith slightly less than Kirk Cousins would cost.

That's not even taking trading a great, young slot CB into account. This is horrible.

On the bright side, they've done me a favor by killing almost all interest I have in this ****show of a franchise.

Thanks Bruce.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am thinking that we might trade down from #13 and recoup the 3rd and very possibly a 2nd round pick and I also think we will be drafting a QB on day 3. Who knows, they might even draft one on day 2.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's something that definitely smells right now.  This could and should have been handled by the FO a lot better than it was.  

Add it to the long list of things that should have been handled MUCH better by the FO.  Will this team ever get a professional competent FO???  

I don't hate the trade as they had backed themselves into a corner and had to clean up the mess... but why let Fuller find out via twitter that he had been traded.  Classless.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Can't fire the owner.....Figuratively

Wouldn't it be nice to put Ashburn to the torch and then sew salt in the ground?  Realistically, it's our only cure.  The excision of a virulent tumor.

Honestly... if it weren't for the Nationals and my misplaced hope in the Wizards I would probably move and escape this in-market sports hell.  I could easily talk myself into moving somewhere in the Carolinas solely for sports reasons.  I could become a fan of their college football and basketball teams.  Maybe Texas.  Or ****, move to California and try to have Predicto's life.

WalterFootball's grade. 100% accurate:

Redskins acquire QB Alex Smith from Chiefs for CB Kendall Fuller, 2018 3rd-round pick 
It's currently unknown what the Chiefs will be receiving for trading Alex Smith to the Redskins. Ian Rapoport is saying that this deal is for "picks and a player." Which picks and which player will obviously determine how good of a trade this is for both teams, but I can't imagine Kansas City being on the losing end of this trade. 

The Chiefs had to move on from Smith. He's been a good quarterback for them, but never really a great one capable of leading a team deep into the playoffs. Smith turns 34 in May and will begin declining shortly. Kansas City spent last year's first-round pick on Patrick Mahomes, and by the way he played in Week 17 versus Denver's defense, it appears as though he's ready to be the starter. Thus, it's good that the Chiefs are going to move forward with him in 2018. The fact that they're getting resources for Smith is the cherry on top. 

As for the Redskins, it's difficult to understand what they're doing. By acquiring Smith, it's basically official that Kirk Cousins won't be back next year. Cousins has been Washington's best quarterback since Joe Theismann, so why allow him to leave, especially if it's for a 34-year-old veteran quarterback with no track record of winning in the playoffs? This trade will be even worse for the Redskins if they surrendered significant resources. Stay tuned for a more definitive grade, plus a poll once we learn what the compensation was. 

Update: The "picks and a player" turned out to be a third-round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller. The selection is a nice one, as the Chiefs don't have a first-rounder this year, so they need more resources to fix their defense. Fuller, meanwhile, is an excellent acquisition. He was terrific as Washington's slot cornerback last year. This fills a huge need for the Chiefs, whose secondary was awful last season outside of Marcus Peters. 

The Chiefs are getting an A+ for this. For the Redskins, this is a disaster. They downgraded at quarterback, and to do so, they gave up a talented cornerback and a third-round pick. This is so dumb. When I heard "pick and a player," I assumed it was some backup and a sixth-round choice, or something. I never imagined the Redskins would give up so much to get older and worse at quarterback. I don't understand what the hell they are doing. 

Grade for Redskins - STATE OF THE KIELBASA MILLEN 
Grade for Chiefs - A+ 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php#ixzz55mRKphfa

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php#IKJTC0MqHmCe9jwi.99

1 minute ago, SkinInsite said:

I would say just let the dam burst, start pretty boy McCoy. You already ****ed up, stop doing dumb **** to **** things up more.

Let's not forget though.  The team was 7-9 with what 25 players on IR?  If the argument can be made that a healthy team w/Cousins could make the playoffs, couldn't the same be said of this healthy team with Alex Smith? If you disagree, why? 

Again, it's only January 31st, there is still the draft and a full free agency period so we don't even know what the entire opening day roster is going to look like yet.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

How about you guys stop talking about him not wanting to be here? 

Or at the very least, acknowledge that it's a red flag that he doesn't want to be here and that many other players still on the roster are voicing their displeasure with these events.  These are red flags that the guys who actually play every Sunday feel like they work for a bunch of idiots, only Kirk has the option to go elsewhere this season.

The same guy responsible for him not wanting to be here just shipped a stud CB and a 3rd round pick for a QB the Chiefs didn't want and are ponying up 71M guaranteed dollars for doing so.  Roughly 95% of the money everyone talked about saving with Kirk gone is being paid to Alex Smith of whom eerily similar to Cousins had many fans that couldn't wait to see him depart.

You are correct in that the front office did "what they had to do".  Only it's what they had to do to save their own jobs not set this team up for long term success.  This FO "did what they had to do" when they shipped picks for McNabb and traded 3 1st round picks for RG3.  It seems everytime they "do what they have to do to rectify" they never actually rectify anything than buying themselves a bit more time.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

What are you talking about?  He's averaged 6 INT's a year for the last 7 seasons...Kirk has averaged 12 over his three years as the full-time starter...

Yes. Alex Smith never throws an interception. Because he never throws the ball past the sticks on third down unless someone is wide open. And he will always take the sack versus trying to extend a play - again unless he has 15 yards of green ahead of him.

Smith always makes the right play. And by the right play, I mean, "Punting and keeping the game close...."

Anyone who cheers for a team that Alex Smith has played for knows the hopeless feeling. It's late in the third. It's 20-10. It's third and seven at your own 45. Smith drops back. Complete! To the fullback for five yards. And here comes the punt team.

Alex Smith will make you want to hang yourself by week eight, despite the fact that you are 5-3 and he has thrown one interception. It's a remarkable talent.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If so Bruce got his magic 2 years fully guaranteed and no more, that was supposedly one of the sticking points on the Kirk negotiations

JP Finlay Retweeted Ian Rapoport

3 years guaranteed for injury. And my guess is only 2 years fully guaranteed

JP Finlay added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
The #Redskins now have QB Alex Smith under contract for 5 years for $111M. Of that, $71M is guaranteed for injury — basically three seasons. At that point, he’ll be 36.

Retweet

If true and looking for more (Schefter and others) to confirm this, we very well may be drafting a QB higher in the draft since it basically sounds like a 3 year deal.  Time enough to groom a young QB.  We shall see.

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

You got the 13th pick in the 3rd round this year.  To maybe the 33rd in the 3rd round next year.  There is a reason why when you trade a pick in a given year you typically get an elevated pick the following year.  If I recall for example we trade our 5th in 2016 for a 4th 2017 pick.

And then if we are going on a FA spree that 2019 third rounder goes away.   Granted its unlikely they spend that much.  Will see.

I agree though this is mostly an Alex Smith for Kendall Fuller deal.   But getting a low round 3rd pick in 2019 isn't totally apples to apples to getting a top half of the 3rd round pick in 2018.   Granted its not that steep of a difference but I see that is the equivalent of what it would look like in a typical draft -- and if so, its losing a round in the trade, in other words, they lose a 3rd round pick and gain a 4th round pick. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We will have $55 million less $24 million for Smith. So $31 million. $10 million for rookie pool and you’re at $21 million to re-sign players and FAs. That’s “enough” but not a ton of wiggle room. 

Which for the sixth time is essentially the same thing you would have if you actually gave Kirk a real deal. If he's under a third franchise tag, you're screwed to the wall of course, but you would have to be a special kind of stupid to do that anyway.

We're paying market value for an above average QB after overpaying for two years because we didn't want to pay market value for an above average QB.

And we got older in the process.

It's really sort of amazing.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Which for the sixth time is essentially the same thing you would have if you actually gave Kirk a real deal. If he's under a third franchise tag, you're screwed to the wall of course, but you would have to be a special kind of stupid to do that anyway.

We're paying market value for an above average QB after overpaying for two years because we didn't want to pay market value for an above average QB.

And we got older in the process.

It's really sort of amazing.

AND...we gave up a 3rd and a promising CB to boot.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If true and looking for more (Schefter and others) to confirm this, we very well may be drafting a QB higher in the draft since it basically sounds like a 3 year deal.  Time enough to groom a young QB.  We shall see.

Maybe so.  Considering Alex Smith's age and the backdrop of Kirk playing for another team -- I think they might have an every hand on deck approach to this off season.  That is, they draft guys that help them win now.  If so, I'd be surprised if one of their early picks is for QB.

Smith had a stellar running game.  I figure they will double down hard to do that here for him.

Archived